Test results from range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Test results from range

arthury
11-15-2012, 15:17
Gun: Glock 20

Grip: I have no issues with the width and thickness of the grip. It felt different from the Beretta 92A1 but I have no issue pointing it. The only problem is the front side of the grip is somewhat quite sharp. As such, when I grip firmly, it kind of bites into the skin. It's different from "teeth" of a new Springfield TRP grip.

Failures: No problem feeding in the 100 or so rounds. There were 2 FTE. I will keep an eye on this. The OAL of my handloads are all somewhere between 1.255 - 1.26, so they were certainly within SAAMI specs. My powder charge were on the higher side. Cases were ejecting at angles between 4 o'clock to 7 o'clock. The 7 o'clock ejection path is kinda weird, the case flies over my head and landed slightly on my left. I've never seen this before with all of my other semi-autos (1911's, M&P, CZ).

Recoil: Felt like a +P 45ACP but firmer. I would say somewhere higher than a 357mag but lighter than a light 44 mag.

Accuracy: The G20 thrilled me in this category. I guess the trajectory of the cartridge is very flat and the performance data showed that it's close to my 357mag revolver. Below are some data at 50ft.

Load data:

Bullet: MG 180gr JHP
OAL: 1.255-1.26"
Powder: Alliant Power Pistol (8.3-8.4gr)
Case: Starline
Primer: Federal LP
Speed: around 1150 fps

Conclusions: This is certainly a keeper and I am absolutely impressed with the cartridge, too. With deep penetration, barrier-busting abilities and high capacity, I am confident this is a good carry gun; perhaps, even suitable for fighting terrorists. :D

In my next range visit, I will test it at 25 yards.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8187445040_d4f3dd7bf3_c.jpg

blastfact
11-15-2012, 18:37
Congrats! Life gets better with the big 10 as you explore it's many attributes.

I like the recoil and grip concerning my G20. I think it's less than my M&P .45. The M&P's reinforced frame makes it a whole lot more ridged. Thus it seems to have a much more snappy recoil when shooting +P 230 grainers out of it. The G20 seems to have a thuddy push to it. Where as the 3" and 4" .357's have a very sharp crack to the impulse.

The 10mm really seams to come alive with slower powders. 155 to 200 grain bullets of your choice and you will get one hell of a smile on your face when you find your pet loads. :)

I've never had a ejection problem with mine other than it likes to launch them in the next county even with a 22 or 24 RSA a spring in it. With the crap OEM unit a lot of brass got lost.

As for the texture of the grip. I wish mine was more course. But my hands are not as soft as the wifes boobs.

And yes a 10mm can be very accurate. While I've never shot a round one through it's OEM barrel. My LW barrel is very accurate and supports the brass wonderfully. And feeds very good.

Enjoy your G20. Welcome to the club!

ds7br
11-16-2012, 10:38
Wait till you load up the 180 or 200 to max with Longshot.....FUN. Although those loads do get to the web of my hand after around 3-4 full mags. They do put down our steel targets quite quickly even at 50yrds. Enjoy.
Dennis

arthury
11-16-2012, 10:50
[...]FUN. Although those loads do get to the web of my hand after around 3-4 full mags. They do put down our steel targets quite quickly even at 50yrds.

I hear ya ...
I love hard-hitting cartridges, too. I came from a background of handloading for my SW500, whose 440gr bullets leave the muzzle above 2000 fps and the muzzle-blast can be felt within a one mile radius.

Back to the G20, I was thinking of getting Blue Dot next to push the velocity higher. You recommend Longshot, instead?

arthury
11-16-2012, 10:53
[...]
I've never had a ejection problem with mine other than it likes to launch them in the next county even with a 22 or 24 RSA a spring in it. With the crap OEM unit a lot of brass got lost.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I got the Glockmeister's custom RSA coming my way with 22# spring and steel rod. I hope that's enough to save the frame a little.

ds7br
11-17-2012, 10:47
arthury,
I've never tested Blue Dot so can say what its attributes are. As Shadow has said, Longshot generates more pressure per fps than 800X but I have accepted that trade-off so I dont have to weigh each individual load (I load 2000 rounds per year that way for my longrange competion rifles and it is a pain). If you are willing to weigh each charge than 800X would be the way to go; otherwise Longshot. I work up Longshot 0.2gr per charge and carefully measure the expansion ring on at least 5 cases per charge weight to see where I'm at. Better to keep all my fingers than not.
Dennis

arthury
12-01-2012, 15:14
Here's one of the results from the 25 yards tests using

the new 22# Glockmeister RSA
8.4gr of Power Pistol
180gr MG JHP
@25 yards
free hand (without rest)
drizzling with slight wind

I'm ready ... :supergrin:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8236313262_d5e1912291_c.jpg

blastfact
12-02-2012, 15:17
Looking good!

I have settled on Blue Dot for all my 10mm loads. From just under max book loads to ,,,, well you know. I have been blessed with the ability to not see muzzle flash. My eye to brain interface either ignores it or is to burnt out or slow to see and transmit it. :)

Power Pistol is almost to fast of a powder to make a 10mm load do what it was designed to do. :)

Keep loading them up and putting them down the tube. You will be thinking,,, .357 what? OOOO that old thing I like so much. :)