Which lower parts kit do you like? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which lower parts kit do you like?

03scgt
11-15-2012, 16:44
Recently myself and a couple friends bought 7 new frontier lowers to start a few builds on.

I'm kinda stuck on which parts kit to go with on mine.I was going to piece it together with a magpul stock and was thinking a spikes tactical buffer setup.what lower parts kit would you reccomend?

I've got a .300 black upper I plan on using and I'm going to order a .223/5.56 as well

Not planning on anything serious aside for Some weekend fun at the range.maybe 1k rounds a year through it

Travclem
11-15-2012, 17:00
For a plastic lower, weekend plinker, just pick the cheapest one.

LA_357SIG
11-15-2012, 17:48
Based on my experiences: Spikes>RRA>DPMS>>>>>>>M1S.

Cole125
11-15-2012, 18:46
I've used CMMG LPKs in one of my builds and RRA in my two others. No complaints with either. RRA kits have a little nicer finish on parts.

Big Bird
11-15-2012, 19:24
I like PSA's Lower Parts kits because they customize them with MOE or Ergo grips etc and you can order them w/out the Fire Control Group so you don't end up spending money on stuff you'll just replace anyhow. You can buy their MOE LPK for about $34 which includes a MOE grip AND a MOE triggerguard...buy an ACT QMS trigger for about $40 and for about $70 have a decent lower with an adequate trigger. Or just spring for a Giessele SSA for $170. In either case you end up with the parts you WANT and not a bunch of GI triggerguards/grips etc that you'll end up swapping out anyhow. A MOE grip and Triggerguard alone retail for $30 which means you get the rest of the parts in the LPK for less than $10!

Made in Austria
11-15-2012, 19:36
I like RRA parts kits.

03scgt
11-15-2012, 19:51
I like PSA's Lower Parts kits because they customize them with MOE or Ergo grips etc and you can order them w/out the Fire Control Group so you don't end up spending money on stuff you'll just replace anyhow. You can buy their MOE LPK for about $34 which includes a MOE grip AND a MOE triggerguard...buy an ACT QMS trigger for about $40 and for about $70 have a decent lower with an adequate trigger. Or just spring for a Giessele SSA for $170. In either case you end up with the parts you WANT and not a bunch of GI triggerguards/grips etc that you'll end up swapping out anyhow. A MOE grip and Triggerguard alone retail for $30 which means you get the rest of the parts in the LPK for less than $10!

Awesome I diddnt notice that on psa's site ,it's also the exact reason I'm putting one together.i diddnt want to end up with a bunch of stuff I was going to replace anyway.NFA sold a full lower for 110 shipped but I diddnt want the stock or grips

TucsonGlocker
11-15-2012, 20:16

+1! I always go with PSA for Lower Build Kits.. They offer plenty of options so you get exactly what you want. That way you don't end up with multiple generic grips because you actually wanted the Magpul :supergrin:

ksmedman
11-15-2012, 20:23
Another vote for PSA. I picked up several over thier Labor Day sale (IIRC they were <$40)
I've also used Spike's and CMMG, all have been GTG.

rick458
11-15-2012, 21:08
I have had good luck with STAG, and I used a DPMS that worked but the trigger was AWFUL

The PSA where you can get a Geissele trigger sure looks nice

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 21:10
My dad ordered a FCG-less parts kit from Palmetto recently. It came with 3 detents and a roll pin missing.

He emailed them told them of the missing parts, and he got more in the mail.

Only they sent 2 takedown pins, a roll pin, and one detent.

So, 2/4 on the replacements, and he still cant finish the lower.

I'll be using a Stag LPK to finish out my new lower.

LA_357SIG
11-15-2012, 21:24
My dad ordered a FCG-less parts kit from Palmetto recently. It came with 3 detents and a roll pin missing.

He emailed them told them of the missing parts, and he got more in the mail.

Only they sent 2 takedown pins, a roll pin, and one detent.

So, 2/4 on the replacements, and he still cant finish the lower.

I'll be using a Stag LPK to finish out my new lower.

I ordered a gas key and 2 bolts. I got 1 bolt. I emailed PSA and received the other bolt and gas key. :sigh: ETA: I was at least expecting a sticker or hat for the trouble.

mjkeat
11-15-2012, 21:56
I purchased a DPMS LPK on a Friday because I wanted to go shoot on Saturday. It was the worst LPK I have ever had. The pins walked leaving that lower inoperable. I tried the LPK in other lowers w/ the same results. It was obviously the DPMS LPK causing the issue and not the lowers. Last time I purchased a DPMS LPK.

I also witnessed a DPMS complete rifle go full auto as the trigger assembly came apart.

I do agree if you're not planning on putting many rounds through the rifle most anything will do if it is indeed in spec unlike the DPMS LPK I purchased.

If I want to know I'll receive what I ordered and it'll function every time I need it to a Daniel Defense LPK is the only route.

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 22:03
I purchased a DPMS LPK on a Friday because I wanted to go shoot on Saturday. It was the worst LPK I have ever had. The pins walked leaving that lower inoperable. I tried the LPK in other lowers w/ the same results. It was obviously the DPMS LPK causing the issue and not the lowers. Last time I purchased a DPMS LPK.

I also witnessed a DPMS complete rifle go full auto as the trigger assembly came apart.

I do agree if you're not planning on putting many rounds through the rifle most anything will do if it is indeed in spec unlike the DPMS LPK I purchased.

If I want to know I'll receive what I ordered and it'll function every time I need it to a Daniel Defense LPK is the only route.

I've used DPMS parts kits in the past (there's one in my SBR, actually), but always ****-canned the FCG as soon as possible. The stock DPMS trigger blows.

mjkeat
11-15-2012, 22:08
I've used DPMS parts kits in the past (there's one in my SBR, actually), but always ****-canned the FCG as soon as possible. The stock DPMS trigger blows.

Why support garbage and create extra work for yourself when you can get a LPK that's GTG from the start? Don't you end up spending more in the long run?

03scgt
11-15-2012, 22:24
I've owned LWRC,RRA,and olympic arms rifles.the idea here was to have a weekend gun that was better performance wise and looks wise than a off the shelf m&p15 or similarly priced rifle.I don't need a 1800$ gun for what I'm looking to do anymore

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 22:27
Why support garbage and create extra work for yourself when you can get a LPK that's GTG from the start? Don't you end up spending more in the long run?

At the time, it was all that was available. Also, I was planning an after-market trigger in that build, anyway, so tossing the DPMS trigger wasn't a big deal. This was before PSA started selling parts kits with no FCGs.

Travclem
11-15-2012, 22:30
I've owned LWRC,RRA,and olympic arms rifles.the idea here was to have a weekend gun that was better performance wise and looks wise than a off the shelf m&p15 or similarly priced rifle.I don't need a 1800$ gun for what I'm looking to do anymore
Not gonna happen with a plastic lower. Just go with a cheap LPK like I said in the first response.

At least you didn't get the NFA complete lower with the plastic hammer and plastic trigger like my FIL and his buddy.

mjkeat
11-15-2012, 22:41
At the time, it was all that was available. Also, I was planning an after-market trigger in that build, anyway, so tossing the DPMS trigger wasn't a big deal. This was before PSA started selling parts kits with no FCGs.

Makes complete sense. I have a few FCGs sitting around as well.

floorburn_21
11-15-2012, 22:56
I just ordered a lbk from Palmetto and they didn't send three of the parts. Everything else seemed good as far as fit and finish. It also took almost three weeks to get.

mjkeat
11-15-2012, 23:05
Off topic, slightly as it seems to keep coming up, but why do people keep purchasing from PSA when they keep messing up orders.

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 23:21
Off topic, slightly as it seems to keep coming up, but why do people keep purchasing from PSA when they keep messing up orders.

Cheap. Also, I imagine some people don't know they have been having issues.

Hard to beat a LPK without trigger parts for $25 when they are on sale, though.

brausso
11-15-2012, 23:35

On my last PSA LPK order, I was missing two parts. I called them and within 4 days (i live on the west coast) I received my missing parts. They didn't even question me. They apologized and got the order right now. I'm good with that.

mjkeat
11-15-2012, 23:52
On my last PSA LPK order, I was missing two parts. I called them and within 4 days (i live on the west coast) I received my missing parts. They didn't even question me. They apologized and got the order right now. I'm good with that.

We all have different expectations. Personally I like a company to get my order correct the first time. I don't want to be forced to take the time to place a call or send an email to fix a problem that shouldn't exist. Mistakes happen but where is the line drawn?

There's been multiple threads consisting of multiple pages full of stories like yours and worse.

I would like to order from PSA and often window shop on their site. When it comes to hitting the "order" button I back away. I've had 3 bad experiences w/ PSA shipping. I've had to email them twice to get two orders shipped and watched another, through tracking info, sent to a location other than my house.

I was hopeful when they posted they were hiring more help. Nothing seems to have changed.

floorburn_21
11-16-2012, 00:21

A very good friend of mine with more knowledge said to go through them until I found out firsthand that they were messing up. Only took one order for me.

Big Bird
11-16-2012, 00:25
We all have different expectations. Personally I like a company to get my order correct the first time. I don't want to be forced to take the time to place a call or send an email to fix a problem that shouldn't exist. Mistakes happen but where is the line drawn?

There's been multiple threads consisting of multiple pages full of stories like yours and worse.

I would like to order from PSA and often window shop on their site. When it comes to hitting the "order" button I back away. I've had 3 bad experiences w/ PSA shipping. I've had to email them twice to get two orders shipped and watched another, through tracking info, sent to a location other than my house.

I was hopeful when they posted they were hiring more help. Nothing seems to have changed.

Here's how I look at it...

I go to Bravo Company's website and the items I want are all on backorder or otherwise out of stock.

I go to PSA's website and the items are in stock but there's a chance they can screw up the order. OK... Possibly some aggravation but at least they have the stuff!

03scgt
11-16-2012, 02:25
im not in a big hurry to get anything put together and its nice to beable to get everything all at once at the same place without it being back ordered.when I receive the package ill just make sure I have everything im supposed to.

I understand some companies have small issues but as long as they make it right im good with that