Opinions wanted [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

Adam5
11-15-2012, 17:59
I'm going to have some expendable cash next month and want a full size 9mm or .40 S&W with approx a 5" - 6" barrel for range use and to get into IDPA matches. Before anyone starts, I don't shoot Glocks well without concentrating hard, and don't want to go that route.

I'm looking at the following pistols:

S&W M&P Pro Series

EAA Witness Match

Springfield XDm 5.25 Comp series

CZ 75 SP-01

Beretta M9

I fondled an XDm 5.25 Comp (in .45acp) this evening and it fit me like a glove. XD's and CZ's have always agreed with me.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations?

Sheep
11-16-2012, 08:10
A 6" barrel is not legal in IDPA first off. If your goal is to shoot IDPA, make sure then gun is legal.

I believe all of those listed are legal for IDPA- not sure about the EAA though.

Glock 34 is by far the most popular pistol in IDPA. The M&P Pro has been coming on in the last few years though.

I saw a guy shooting a new XDm 5.25(9mm) at a match the other day, and he(it) was very accurate.

CZ's are nice too. Certainly buy what 'fits' you and you are most comfortable with.

Be aware that the XD will put you in a different division(ESP) than the others(SSP)

HK Dan
11-16-2012, 18:08
Good recommendations above. Caveat--I have never seen an XD shooter win a match. They just dont seem to be competitive with the GLOCKs and M&Ps, (Rob Leatham excepted, and hed win with a sling shot)

sciolist
11-23-2012, 14:13
From the perspective of USPSA Production, if I had to give up my 34, I’d either go with the M&P or the CZ. My experiences with the XDm have not been good, overall.

The M&P trigger can be dialed in to the point where it’s really great for a striker pistol – far better than Glock. The CZ is an awesome gun. It’s very stable, very easy to reload, and highly reliable – but you have to be able come to grips with the DA/SA trigger. The CZ’s weight makes it more difficult to transition, but easier to shoot accurately and control splits.

Jim Watson
11-23-2012, 20:25
S&W M&P Pro Series
Probably the leading non-Glock in SSP

EAA Witness Match
A Witness Elite Match is cataloged at 44 oz, too heavy. An Elite Stock 1 would make weight for ESP and maybe SSP.
The DA-SA crunch-tick is a disadvantage in SSP vs S&W and Glock.

Enters in ESP, not in direct competition in SSP with Glock and S&W.

CZ 75 SP-01
My "pre-B" CZ 75 is pretty effective, but some people will get nervous to see it manually decocked for SSP, fine guns for ESP.

Beretta M9
There are very few Berettas in the game for some reason.

ronin.45
12-03-2012, 07:41
After Glock my next choice would be M&P.

SCmasterblaster
12-09-2012, 12:32
I'm going to have some expendable cash next month and want a full size 9mm or .40 S&W with approx a 5" - 6" barrel for range use and to get into IDPA matches. Before anyone starts, I don't shoot Glocks well without concentrating hard, and don't want to go that route.

I'm looking at the following pistols:

S&W M&P Pro Series

EAA Witness Match

CZ 75 SP-01

Beretta M9

I fondled an XDm 5.25 Comp (in .45acp) this evening and it fit me like a glove. XD's and CZ's have always agreed with me.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations?

This is GLOCK Talk.

ron59
12-09-2012, 15:57
This is GLOCK Talk.

Agreed.

After a glock (G34), my choice would be.... a GLOCK (g17).

End of story.

Mike Bell
12-10-2012, 18:26
#1, Glock 35

#2, M&P Pro