Well, crap... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well, crap...

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 20:32
When I went shooting last week, my SBR starting short stroking for no discernible reason. Everything was relatively clean, well lubed, and it had never had problems before. Unfortunately, I had no spare parts or tolls with me, so I was kinda screwed on troubleshooting.

I took it home that night and cleaned the crap out of it, and relubed everything. Couldn't find any worn or busted parts, so I figured that maybe it was chamber filth from the steel cased Tula.

This week, I hit the range again - same problem. This time, I had spares. I swapped in a carbine buffer in place of the H2, no joy. Swapped out the BCM bolt carrier group for a crappy, worn out DPMS, and the gun ran.

Whut?

Dropped the H2 buffer back in, gun still ran.

:dunno:

So, I swapped the BCM bolt into the DPMS carrier, and vice-versa. BCM bolt + DPMS carrier, and it ran. BCM carrier with DPMS bolt, no joy.

When I got home tonight, I started going over the BCM carrier. No obvious burrs or bad spots inside the carrier, so I checked the gas key. The staking on the front screw looked a little weak, so I checked the screw. One tiny bit of pressure later, and the damn screw turned.

To quote one of my favorite TV shows - "Well THERE'S your problem!"

So, I tried to tighten the screw down more...

and more....

and more....

This damn thing is stripped!

:steamed:

I can't get the screw out because of the staking, but the staking wasn't enough to stop it from spinning.

Lesson learned - Even BCM can screw (heh) up every now and then. I've only had this BCG for about 6 months, and it's only seen about 500 rounds (work has been a ***** lately), so it's definitely not due to use or abuse. I've already got an email in to them, so I guess it's wait and see to find out what they are willing to do to fix it.

Second lesson learned - it doesn't hurt to double-check gas key screws, even on bolt carriers from higher end companies. Just because it LOOKS staked doesn't mean it's really secured.

bmoore
11-15-2012, 20:38
Well atleast you got the problem pinned down. Sucks that the BCM carrier failed, let us know how it works out with them.

LA_357SIG
11-15-2012, 20:40
The sky is falling? :tongueout:

But anyway, I had to replace a gas key when I dropped it (a BCG) on a cement floor. I used new bolts and rockset that came with my AAC suppressor mounts. The reason I bring this up, is my clumsiness has given me an opportunity to test this staking debate. I put a little over 500 rounds through so far with no malfunctions. I only wish I would have made witness marks to have definite proof of if the bolts were unscrewing.

You have any interest in testing an unstaked gas key? Or try DSArms "key lock" gas key? Or are you content with staking?

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 20:46
The sky is falling? :tongueout:

But anyway, I had to replace a gas key when I dropped it (a BCG) on a cement floor. I used new bolts and rockset that came with my AAC suppressor mounts. The reason I bring this up, is my clumsiness has given me an opportunity to test this staking debate. I put a little over 500 rounds through so far with no malfunctions. I only wish I would have made witness marks to have definite proof of if the bolts were unscrewing.

You have any interest in testing an unstaked gas key? Or try DSArms "key lock" gas key? Or are you content with staking?

If it gets fixed on my dime/headache, it's getting done right, and done overboard. Fortunately, I'll be seeing just the man for the job next weekend.

Then again, I get the feeling that BCM will be making it right.

vettely
11-15-2012, 20:54
Interesting. Good information to know, just in case.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-15-2012, 20:55
Is the hypothesis here that the screws stripped themselves in 500 rounds?

Or were they factory over torqued to begin with?

Was gas leaking out where the screws were supposed to be holding the gas key tight to the carrier?

Big Bird
11-15-2012, 20:57
I had a similar problem with my LMT SBR upper when I first got it and it gave me fits. When I finally broke down and called LMT the first question out of the tech's mouth was what weight buffer am I running? Well, an H2 of course...everyone knows you should run an H2 in a Carbine length gas system right? Nope. LMT drills their gas ports to cycle with a standard weight carbine buffer. So I replaced the H2 with a carbine weight buffer and the stupid thing has run like a champ ever since. Never skipped a beat.

When gas keys are staked and things aren't perfect its not unusual to break off the bolt close to the carrier or just under the bolt head. BCM bolt carrier groups are made by fallible people using imperfect materials. Like all mechanical parts they have a failure rate...

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 20:57
Is the hypothesis here that the screws stripped themselves in 500 rounds?

Or were they factory over torqued to begin with?

Was gas leaking out where the screws were supposed to be holding the gas key tight to the carrier?

Over-torqued, and the carrier threads or screw threads gradually gave way.

I couldn't find any sure marks to show it, but I'm assuming gas was leaking out from around the gas key and causing the short-stroking.

Cole125
11-15-2012, 20:58
I'm sure BCM will make it right, and send you a new BCG.

Just goes to show even "high end" parts can have issues.

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 21:00
I had a similar problem with my LMT SBR upper when I first got it and it gave me fits. When I finally broke down and called LMT the first question out of the tech's mouth was what weight buffer am I running? Well, and H2 of course...everyone knows you should run an H2 in a Carbine length gas system right? Nope. LMT drills their gas ports to cycle with a standard weight carbine buffer. So I replaced the H2 with a carbine weight buffer and the stupid thing has run like a champ ever since. Never skipped a beat.

I've seen various reports on what runs best in the LMT SBR uppers. I run an H2 in mine since I shoot mostly 5.56.

In this case, though, the bad key meant the buffer didn't make a difference. I tried it with a C buffer, and no joy.

Made in Austria
11-15-2012, 21:01
That sucks. I hope you get it fixed soon. I am sure that BCM will take good care of you. They will probably replace the whole carrier with a new one. I also hope that this problem is extremely rare. Just ordered my third BCM BCG last week.

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 21:04
That sucks. I hope you get it fixed soon. I am sure that BCM will take good care of you. They will probably replace the whole carrier with a new one. I also hope that this problem is extremely rare. Just ordered my third BCM BCG last week.

I have no doubt that it's a rare occurrence, honestly.

Matthew Courtney
11-15-2012, 22:41
Over-torqued, and the carrier threads or screw threads gradually gave way.

I couldn't find any sure marks to show it, but I'm assuming gas was leaking out from around the gas key and causing the short-stroking.

It was obviously properly torqued as it was tested and inspected. BCM has the best quality control in the business. In addition, they use genuine buffalo fat as a rust preventing preservative. The failure could have only been caused by your wanton and reckless use of Slip 2000. BCM's website clearly states that the use of Slip 2000 voids any and all warranties because it reacts with the genuine buffalo fat to create an exothermic reaction which literally cooks the gas key bolts, evincing that they were properly staked and making them into a tender and delicious snack that can be enjoyed at the range with a little Hoppes # 9.

:wavey::tongueout::rofl:

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 22:42
It was obviously properly torqued as it was tested and inspected. BCM has the best quality control in the business. In addition, they use genuine buffalo fat as a rust preventing preservative. The failure could have only been caused by your wanton and reckless use of Slip 2000. BCM's website clearly states that the use of Slip 2000 voids any and all warranties because it reacts with the genuine buffalo fat to create an exothermic reaction which literally cooks the gas key bolts, evincing that they were properly staked and making them into a tender and delicious snack that can be enjoyed at the range with a little Hoppes # 9.

:wavey::tongueout::rofl:

You had me going for the first two sentences, actually.

After that, it all came off the rails. :tongueout:

Big Bird
11-15-2012, 22:46
I've seen various reports on what runs best in the LMT SBR uppers. I run an H2 in mine since I shoot mostly 5.56.

In this case, though, the bad key meant the buffer didn't make a difference. I tried it with a C buffer, and no joy.

Call LMT. They will tell you exactly what I said.

You may get away with it in some rifles or may not. But my guess would be you are running it on the edge of reliability and when things get dirty or close to being out of spec it adds up.

Maybe not. I could be wrong. Been wrong before.

Honestly, Your BCG should still run with one screw tight as the key should still be tight against the carrier. But again, maybe not.

mjkeat
11-15-2012, 22:48
Well I guess I can't say I've never heard of a BCM failure. Let us know how they handle it.

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 23:16
Call LMT. They will tell you exactly what I said.

You may get away with it in some rifles or may not. But my guess would be you are running it on the edge of reliability and when things get dirty or close to being out of spec it adds up.

Maybe not. I could be wrong. Been wrong before.

Honestly, Your BCG should still run with one screw tight as the key should still be tight against the carrier. But again, maybe not.

It's not running. I can't *feel* any play in the key, but it's definitely not running. Bolt moves, just refuses to feed or lock back on empty.

As for the LMT bit, I was already considering dropping it to a Carbine carrier as a test. Once I get the BCM carrier un-buggered, I still plan to try it. Until the carrier failure, though, it was running perfectly even on Tula .223 with an H2 buffer.

Well I guess I can't say I've never heard of a BCM failure. Let us know how they handle it.

It's a first for me, too. Hoping to hear back from them by e-mail tomorrow.

bmoore
11-16-2012, 10:17
Plank- can you give me some quick education on this. Do you think this is SBR specific? Or do you think it would have given way in any rifle? I am not to familiar with SBR.

Travclem
11-16-2012, 10:29
It's not running. I can't *feel* any play in the key, but it's definitely not running. Bolt moves, just refuses to feed or lock back on empty.

As for the LMT bit, I was already considering dropping it to a Carbine carrier as a test. Once I get the BCM carrier un-buggered, I still plan to try it. Until the carrier failure, though, it was running perfectly even on Tula .223 with an H2 buffer.

It's a first for me, too. Hoping to hear back from them by e-mail tomorrow.
I have a factory 10.5" LMT. It has a semi auto carrier and a carbine buffer and is gassed to run in this configuration as per LMT. They say you might have issues with M16 bolt carriers and H/H2 buffers in their SBR uppers.

surf
11-16-2012, 11:04
Recently installed fifty (50) LMT 10.5" barrels all with full auto carriers. All 50 run like a champ on standard H-Buffers. Indeed LMT designs the port size for this, however I will say that there are always anomalies and to run whatever works.

Travclem
11-16-2012, 11:13
Good to know. All I know is what LMT told me.

WoodenPlank
11-16-2012, 11:37
Plank- can you give me some quick education on this. Do you think this is SBR specific? Or do you think it would have given way in any rifle? I am not to familiar with SBR.

My money is on the front screw being over-torqued from the beginning, and the damaged thread just gave way over time. I doubt it had anything to do with it being in an SBR.

I have a factory 10.5" LMT. It has a semi auto carrier and a carbine buffer and is gassed to run in this configuration as per LMT. They say you might have issues with M16 bolt carriers and H/H2 buffers in their SBR uppers.

Until the screw came loose, mine ran like a champ with an H2 buffer and FA BCG.

Edit to add: Got an email back from BCM this morning with some additional questions. They wanted to know what kind of upper I was using, and what kind of ammo I had used. Waiting for a response now after I sent them the info they needed.

Travclem
11-16-2012, 11:44
Interesting.

bmoore
11-16-2012, 11:46
Copy that

WoodenPlank
11-16-2012, 12:33
Got another answer from BCM. They are providing a UPS pre-paid label to return the entire BCG for inspection. It'll be going out to them via UPS tomorrow. Assuming they agree that it was defective from the beginning, and the rest of their turn-around time is as fast as their emails, I get the feeling I will be pleased with their response.

Now I guess it is just a waiting game.

Matthew Courtney
11-16-2012, 13:17
You had me going for the first two sentences, actually.

After that, it all came off the rails. :tongueout:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=gladiator%20are%20you%20not%20entertained%20gif&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFsqJFIJ5lLs&ei=TI-mUNPNPJKu8QTA_IDADQ&usg=AFQjCNGLOoRb5bT0qeYzk7O8ElUJdv2WVw&sig2=tPtK-TWuUzz4Q3SJZxZ6rQ

arushus
11-17-2012, 00:59
Dont tell the guys at m4carbine.net....

MD357
11-17-2012, 02:29
Oh my, this is interesting.....

WoodenPlank
11-17-2012, 07:20
Dont tell the guys at m4carbine.net....

:upeyes:

Oh my, this is interesting.....

It happens. Anyone can goof one up from time to time, but (so far) BCM is hitting all the high points on the way to making it right.

The complete BCG will be going out from the UPS store to Bravo later this afternoon. Given the holiday next week, I'm hoping to have it back around the 3rd, if the shipping times work out the way I think they will.

MD357
11-17-2012, 09:12
It happens. Anyone can goof one up from time to time, but (so far) BCM is hitting all the high points on the way to making it right.

Oh I realize this AND I don't doubt they'll take care of you a bit.

If it would have been someone else, it would have been assumed as commonplace, that's all.

surf
11-17-2012, 12:16
Dont tell the guys at m4carbine.net....It is immature and inaccurate comments like this that drives animosity between forums.

mjkeat
11-17-2012, 14:57
Oh I realize this AND I don't doubt they'll take care of you a bit.

If it would have been someone else, it would have been assumed as commonplace, that's all.

It's rare to find a company where it's not common. That's why certain companies have such a great following.

Just like anything, if mistakes happen over and over it gets old. Mistakes few and far between are usually easily dismissed.

MD357
11-18-2012, 10:37
It's rare to find a company where it's not common. That's why certain companies have such a great following.

That's one opinion for sure, but the more and more one asks for statistical information to verify occurences either way, it's obvious that it's really just a matter of anecdotes. I've definitely seen the bias of some sites towards certain brands and I actually understand why, but again it seems errors by some brands seem to be put on a billboard, while others are extremely quiet.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-18-2012, 11:11
That's one opinion for sure, but the more and more one asks for statistical information to verify occurences either way, it's obvious that it's really just a matter of anecdotes. I've definitely seen the bias of some sites towards certain brands and I actually understand why, but again it seems errors by some brands seem to be put on a billboard, while others are extremely quiet.

Exactly. As I like to say, what statistical information is available, and what was the collection method?

For all we know, Taurus might make the most reliable 1911, and Rock River might be the most reliable AR :)

But I'll give BCM a good look when I buy a shorty.

smokin762
11-18-2012, 11:38
It would be interesting to know if the screw threads stripped or if the Bolt Carrier was not tapped properly. If the fasteners are not properly Heat Treated, they will be too soft and will fail. If the tooling on the Roll Thread Machine is close to the end of its serviceable life, that will create problems as well. I have seen this in QC testing many times.

I am pretty positive, no firearm manufacture ever makes their own screws. They would buy them from a distributor which would buy them from a Fastener business from one like, I work for.

Where I work, we mostly make automotive safety parts and fasteners for the auto industry. We also make some fasteners for H.D.

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 12:08
It would be interesting to know if the screw threads stripped or if the Bolt Carrier was not tapped properly. If the fasteners are not properly Heat Treated, they will be too soft and will fail. If the tooling on the Roll Thread Machine is close to the end of its serviceable life, that will create problems as well. I have seen this in QC testing many times.

I am pretty positive, no firearm manufacture ever makes their own screws. They would buy them from a distributor which would buy them from a Fastener business from one like, I work for.

Where I work, we mostly make automotive safety parts and fasteners for the auto industry. We also make some fasteners for H.D.

The carrier was definitely threaded from the beginning, as the carrier ran fine for a few hundred rounds before suddenly (and mysteriously) failing. Ran fine one range trip to the last shot, and didn't run at all from the first shot of the following visit.

Rooster Rugburn
11-18-2012, 12:47
I wasn't very impressed with BCM staking. Colt seems to do it well.

mjkeat
11-18-2012, 13:01
I came across a Daniel Defense video where one of their higher up mentioned they make most if not all of their parts down to the fasteners. I'll have to find it.

md357, it's like the lazy guy at work that can't do anything correctly yet the boss won't fire him. The rest of the crew gangs up on him and shines a spotlight on every little thing he does wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 13:01
I wasn't very impressed with BCM staking. Colt seems to do it well.

While the rear bolt on my carrier seemed to be staked well enough, the front one just didn't quite get enough of the bolt to keep it secure. At this point, though, I can't be sure if that is due to a bad staking job, or a faulty screw vibrating to the point that the staking was undone - or a mix of both.

pag23
11-18-2012, 17:49
Everyone makes mistakes, at least BCM is taking care of you as a customer. I wonder if they can track who and when it was assembled for QC

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 17:53
Everyone makes mistakes, at least BCM is taking care of you as a customer. I wonder if they can track who and when it was assembled for QC

The BCG I got from them was serial numbered, so it wouldn't surprise me.

While I think it was an over-torquing issue, it's still possible that it was a bad screw, bad tap job on the carrier, bad batch of steel, or probably several other things I have not thought of.

pag23
11-18-2012, 17:56
Well they are really busy as u can never get them on the phone and listings of back ordered parts. Which isn't a bad thing but sometimes rushing to get things done can cause mistakes.

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 18:03
Well they are really busy as u can never get them on the phone and listings of back ordered parts. Which isn't a bad thing but sometimes rushing to get things done can cause mistakes.

They don't answer the phones at all, from my understanding. They are pretty speedy about answering emails, though.

pag23
11-18-2012, 18:16
Yes they are and great getting stuff out when you order. I wish they had blemished lowers in stock though.

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 18:23
Yes they are and great getting stuff out when you order. I wish they had blemished lowers in stock though.

PSA has had them in and out of stock (ie: Their brand lowers) the past few weeks. When I ordered one, I had it in a week or so with no hiccups. I'm up to almost 2 weeks waiting for them to build and ship my new upper. They said roughly 3 weeks from order to shipping.

:crying:

smokin762
11-18-2012, 18:54

:rofl::rofl:

I hope you realize, you want somebody to make a mistake so you can get what you want cheaper right.

I am sure, when they hire a new CNC operator, you’ll get your chance. :whistling:

smokin762
11-18-2012, 19:16
The carrier was definitely threaded from the beginning, as the carrier ran fine for a few hundred rounds before suddenly (and mysteriously) failing. Ran fine one range trip to the last shot, and didn't run at all from the first shot of the following visit.

Without a doubt I am sure the carrier was threaded. I just wouldn’t be sure of the condition of the tooling used on that job or the quality of the tools that were used to make the fastener.

All tooling has a life span. Like heading and rolling dies. The wire also plays a part. The wire is first heated to make it stretch before it is headed. Then it gets rolled. The rolling process also stretches the fastener and makes the threads to expand. The operator should have a set of prints to go by when checking their parts.

Where I work, some rolling dies only last for 20,000 parts while others are more. The material is also deciding factor in tool life. I anneal stainless fasteners every day before rolling to make them softer for die life.

larson1122
11-18-2012, 20:33
PSA has had them in and out of stock (ie: Their brand lowers) the past few weeks. When I ordered one, I had it in a week or so with no hiccups. I'm up to almost 2 weeks waiting for them to build and ship my new upper. They said roughly 3 weeks from order to shipping.

:crying:

I spoke with them on Wednesday about mine and they told me they are running about a week behind schedule on uppers, so most uppers are taking about 4 weeks to ship instead of 3. I ordered mine on Ocober 20th and it still hasnt shipped...

pag23
11-19-2012, 10:32
:rofl::rofl:

I hope you realize, you want somebody to make a mistake so you can get what you want cheaper right.

I am sure, when they hire a new CNC operator, you’ll get your chance. :whistling:

Sometimes a blemished lower can happen from numerous other reasons besides machining, especially if it cosmetic. :whistling:

smokin762
11-19-2012, 10:36
Sometimes a blemished lower can happen from numerous other reasons besides machining, especially if it cosmetic. :whistling:

Like butter fingers dropping it? :supergrin:

pag23
11-19-2012, 10:41
who knows, possible coating issues, packaging, handling, etc .... It appears that those who have bought them have to look to see what the blemish is.

WoodenPlank
11-19-2012, 18:20
I spoke with them on Wednesday about mine and they told me they are running about a week behind schedule on uppers, so most uppers are taking about 4 weeks to ship instead of 3. I ordered mine on Ocober 20th and it still hasnt shipped...

:steamed: :steamed: :steamed:

Starting to wish I had dropped the extra $50 on a comparable BCM upper, if for no other reason than a shorter wait.

who knows, possible coating issues, packaging, handling, etc .... It appears that those who have bought them have to look to see what the blemish is.

Mine was a slight mark in the anodizing, nothing more.

bigmoney890
11-19-2012, 18:37

Mine only had a small blemish on the inside of the upper, and I didn't noticed it until putting my barrel on.

mjkeat
11-19-2012, 18:45
:steamed: :steamed: :steamed:

Starting to wish I had dropped the extra $50 on a comparable BCM upper, if for no other reason than a shorter wait.

Mine was a slight mark in the anodizing, nothing more.

LOL, well... But you saved $50.

Blems are not going to be anything other than visual imperfections. They are not going to sell receivers that are knowingly out of spec. DPMS on the other hand...

Warp
11-19-2012, 18:57
It is immature and inaccurate comments like this that drives animosity between forums.

It is.

And why I spend rarely look for legitimate information about the black rifles anywhere other than M4C these days. It just isn't worth the headache.

Rooster Rugburn
11-19-2012, 19:41
And why I spend rarely look for legitimate information about the black rifles anywhere other than M4C these days. It just isn't worth the headache.

That's wise. GT guru wannabees are M4C rejects.

bigmoney890
11-19-2012, 19:43
That's wise. GT guru wannabees are M4C rejects.

Says the guy who is all over glocktalk right now? :upeyes:

surf
11-19-2012, 20:40
That's wise. GT guru wannabees are M4C rejects.While the knowledge base here is definitely not similar to that of a dedicated site like M4C, not everyone posting on this forum is ignorant on this weapon platform. There are several regular posters here who offer quality information. Who is to say that perhaps some of them are also well respected members over at M4C?

surf
11-19-2012, 20:43
It is.

And why I spend rarely look for legitimate information about the black rifles anywhere other than M4C these days. It just isn't worth the headache.Nothing wrong with turning to M4C as that is where I refer people. However not everyone is familiar with the site and the Glock types might come to their own for advice on this platform. Nothing wrong with those attempting to give good information here also. Helps the entire shooting community. :)

Warp
11-19-2012, 22:01
Nothing wrong with turning to M4C as that is where I refer people. However not everyone is familiar with the site and the Glock types might come to their own for advice on this platform. Nothing wrong with those attempting to give good information here also. Helps the entire shooting community. :)

Oh, absolutely

Ryobi
11-22-2012, 10:46
Wise and well said. It is.

bigmoney890
11-22-2012, 11:46
Nothing wrong with turning to M4C as that is where I refer people. However not everyone is familiar with the site and the Glock types might come to their own for advice on this platform. Nothing wrong with those attempting to give good information here also. Helps the entire shooting community. :)

I much rather prefer the layout and feel of this website, but that's just personal preference, nothing to do with the people/information there.

WoodenPlank
11-29-2012, 12:57
Update time!

The faulty bolt arrived at BCM on Monday morning. I had an email back from this morning stating they had replaced the gas key and bolt screws and test fired the bolt to make sure everything was good. It is now on it's way back to me (it was actually mailed out yesterday), and should hopefully be here on Saturday.

This, boys and girls, is how customer service should be. That makes 2 BCM bolts on their way to me now - the repaired bolt, and a brand new one I ordered a couple days ago. The new bolt should be here tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see how the staking on the repaired bolt looks.

faawrenchbndr
11-29-2012, 13:30
Not to slam another manufacturer,.....but THAT is why BCM
has so many loyal customers! :cool:

WoodenPlank
11-29-2012, 13:32
Not to slam another manufacturer,.....but THAT is why BCM
has so many loyal customers! :cool:

Agreed completely. All of my emails were answered in a timely fashion, and they took the right steps to fix the problem. They even told me exactly what they had done to fix the problem. I'm still curious to see what the new gas key (and staking job) looks like. Guess I will see on Saturday.

cyphertext
11-29-2012, 15:24
This, boys and girls, is how customer service should be.

Every company can make a mistake, but how they handle it is the difference.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-29-2012, 15:32
That is good service, but I'm surprised they didn't just give you a new bolt. The threads would be suspect to me. But I'm not an engineer, so maybe they know only the screws could be goobered up.

WoodenPlank
11-29-2012, 16:01
That is good service, but I'm surprised they didn't just give you a new bolt. The threads would be suspect to me. But I'm not an engineer, so maybe they know only the screws could be goobered up.

Based off of their email, I assume they disassembled it and checked the carrier threads, and they were good to go. I doubt they would just slap new screws in without looking.

Warp
11-29-2012, 19:57
Every company can make a mistake, but how they handle it is the difference.

Along with how often the mistakes happen

WoodenPlank
11-29-2012, 19:59
Along with how often the mistakes happen

Good customer service goes a long way.

Warp
11-29-2012, 20:00
Good customer service goes a long way.

It does. But if I have to deal with Glock customer service again when I buy my next one (because it sucks and fails), that will be the end of that.

Just an example.

Another example: I sold all three of my KelTecs and do not intend to ever buy another. I don't give a **** that their customer service is great. I dislike that so many people have to deal with their CS because their products suck. But they are cheap and they 'fix' them, so people are happy. Well, some people. I'm not.

WoodenPlank
11-30-2012, 18:09
My busted bolt arrived at BCM on Monday. Wednesday I was notified it had been repaired and shipped back. The no-longer-busted bolt arrived today.

That's bleepin' fast.

The box was rather large and heavy for just having a BCG inside it though...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1631/bcmswag.jpg

This, boys and girls, is how you keep customers loyal. A copy of the December 2012 SWAT Magazine (with 2013 calendar), a BCM mousepad (my foam one was getting worn out), and a fresh new BCM baseball cap. Hell, the bill of the cap had a nearly perfect curve in it (for my tastes) right out of the box.

The staking doesn't look much different than it did before, but I didn't take any detailed photos to compare. It'll be at least a week (maybe 2) before I can hit the range again to run the repaired bolt through its paces. At the moment, though, I am a VERY happy customer.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-30-2012, 18:17
Looks like a happy meal for adults :)

WoodenPlank
11-30-2012, 18:19
Looks like a happy meal for adults :)

A happy meal that comes with hate and discontent?

I like it!

smokin762
11-30-2012, 19:35
My local grocery store carries SWAT magazine. I like it. I have my SWAT calendar sitting on my reloading bench. :supergrin: