Stinking Lead boolits!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stinking Lead boolits!!!

breacher1
11-15-2012, 23:12
I really don't know what the deal is with my factory Glock and aftermarket 40 cal barrels and their hatred for lead boolits. I've tried light ones up to heavy ones (MBC 140 gr to 180 gr). I've tried a half dozen powders from fast to slow burners- all the most popular ones in various quantities (usually light to med loads). I've tried another brand of molly coated boolits as well. Nasty leading from all of them within 2 or 3 mags.

I really wish I could crack the code as the price diff for 1000 lead vs. 1000 plated or jacketed in 40 cal might amount to some real money over time. I just broke down and ordered a buttload of x-treme plated.

Maybe when I have more time & patience I'll try some custom sized lead, .402 or .403, instead of the standard .401. Maybe.

Oh yeah, and the copper Chore Boy on a jag to clean the skid marks outta the barrels. Works ok but kinda slow IMHO. The lead remover "rags" sold by Casey and Kleen Bore and cut into patches and run in & out of the barrel on a rod really work fast. Unfortunately I've been getting pretty good at it.

labdwakin
11-15-2012, 23:49
Does your aftermarket barrel have conventional rifling or is it also polygonal?

breacher1
11-16-2012, 00:17
conventional, makes it harder to clean compared to factory Glock

fredj338
11-16-2012, 00:23
Commercial bullets are tough to get right in 9mm & 40. High pressure plus marginal lubes & not always the best fit. With lead bullets, fit is king.
Did you slug your bbl? You want a bullet at least 0.001" LARGER than groove dia. So 0.401" would be the min. Did you actually measure the bullets you buy? Many bullets are too hard for light loads w/ fast powders. A softer bullet can actually work better in light loads, especially if the bullet is ever so slightly undersized. Even 0.0005" smaller than groove dia will cause leading w/ lower vel/pressure loads & hard bullets.
Lots of things to get right with lead bullets, why I never recommend them for noob reloaders. Casting your own can eliminate many problems as you get to choose alloy, lube & final size. Last thing, your bbl just could be rough as a cob & no amount of load tinkering is going to fix that. You can try shooting a couple 1000 jacketed, then clean it completely before running lead. Make sure you always clean the copper out prior to going over it w/ lead, that almost always causes leading too.

ilgunguygt
11-16-2012, 01:01
What brand of lead were you shooting? What kind of barrel?

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2012, 06:49
Your not using a FCD are you? Maybe some kind soul will send you some oversized lead to make try in your barrel.

ButterNutz
11-16-2012, 07:55
Give this guy a try http://www.bulletheads.com/blank.htm
I haven't found a cheaper place to buy FMJs, almost as cheap as lead. I have no gain from recommending this vendor, just a happy costumer.

Zombie Steve
11-16-2012, 09:11
Your not using a FCD are you? Maybe some kind soul will send you some oversized lead to make try in your barrel.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Avatars/914/30326.gif

Betcha it's a sizing issue.

labdwakin
11-16-2012, 09:40
oh lawd, who let the damn comedians in here, anyhow?

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2012, 09:59
I sounded like I was drunk at 5:49 when I posted that.

Zombie Steve
11-16-2012, 10:43
Were you? :cheers:

Wil Terry
11-16-2012, 10:49
MAYBE, MAYBE....if you spelled the name of the projectiles correctly...B-U-L-L-E-T-S...they would perform better for you.
IN 50+ years I have never EVER had any problem shooting cast or swaged lead bullets in any caliber pistol, revolving or autoloading.
I only own two Glock pistols, A G20 and a G30, and both shoot beautifully with their prefered lead bullet handloads.

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2012, 12:13
Were you? :cheers:

No. Maybe tomorrow at 7am

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2012, 12:16
MAYBE, MAYBE....if you spelled the name of the projectiles correctly...B-U-L-L-E-T-S...they would perform better for you.
IN 50+ years I have never EVER had any problem shooting cast or swaged lead bullets in any caliber pistol, revolving or autoloading.
I only own two Glock pistols, A G20 and a G30, and both shoot beautifully with their prefered lead bullet handloads.

People who use "boolits" are usually a member of the following forum. Great forum. BTW.

castboolits.gunloads.com

nickE10mm
11-16-2012, 12:41
Commercial bullets are tough to get right in 9mm & 40. High pressure plus marginal lubes & not always the best fit. With lead bullets, fit is king.
Did you slug your bbl? You want a bullet at least 0.001" LARGER than groove dia. So 0.401" would be the min. Did you actually measure the bullets you buy? Many bullets are too hard for light loads w/ fast powders. A softer bullet can actually work better in light loads, especially if the bullet is ever so slightly undersized. Even 0.0005" smaller than groove dia will cause leading w/ lower vel/pressure loads & hard bullets.
Lots of things to get right with lead bullets, why I never recommend them for noob reloaders. Casting your own can eliminate many problems as you get to choose alloy, lube & final size. Last thing, your bbl just could be rough as a cob & no amount of load tinkering is going to fix that. You can try shooting a couple 1000 jacketed, then clean it completely before running lead. Make sure you always clean the copper out prior to going over it w/ lead, that almost always causes leading too.

excellent post and SPOT ON.

breacher1
11-16-2012, 15:22
boooolits, that's required interweb spelling - aka- bullets

I have not slugged any barrels but after much research here and on other sites I do understand the obturation (sic?) effect and hot gas blow by causing the leading.

I'm loading on a Dillon SDB set to factory specs so I'm not sure if the bullets are getting squeezed during the crimping process.

if so then I presume going to a larger .402/.403 size lead bullet won't really help?

fredj338
11-16-2012, 16:01

I have not slugged any barrels but after much research here and on other sites I do understand the obturation (sic?) effect and hot gas blow by causing the leading.

I'm loading on a Dillon SDB set to factory specs so I'm not sure if the bullets are getting squeezed during the crimping process.

if so then I presume going to a larger .402/.403 size lead bullet won't really help?

Well unless you are over crimping, you should not be swaging the bullet smaller. It is possible, w/ soft bullets & undersuzed expander, that the case is swaging the bullet but not likely w/ commercial bullets. Where is the leading, early, at the muzzle or throughout? Early is likely fit or a bullet too hard or both. Late is often the lube failing. All along, you have either an oversized bbl or it's rough as a cob.:dunno: First thing to do would be slug the bore w/ a soft lead/over sized, well lubed bullet. If it measuire 0.401", that is likely the issue & a larger dia could help.

nickE10mm
11-16-2012, 16:45

Actually, BOOLIT is our name for any type of hand-casted bullet. A BULLET is a jacketed bullet...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40260

:)

breacher1
11-16-2012, 16:51
thanks Fred

the leading with the MBC cast has been in the first inch from the chamber. my amateur scientific mind assumed that by keeping the PSI down with lighter loads it would minimize the chance of gas blow by causing the leading. of course then you may not get the required bullet base obturation needed for a proper gas seal. fine line to tread perhaps?

not too many sources for oversize cast lead booolits out there. no time to start casting my own.

fredj338
11-16-2012, 17:18
thanks Fred

the leading with the MBC cast has been in the first inch from the chamber. my amateur scientific mind assumed that by keeping the PSI down with lighter loads it would minimize the chance of gas blow by causing the leading. of course then you may not get the required bullet base obturation needed for a proper gas seal. fine line to tread perhaps?

not too many sources for oversize cast lead booolits out there. no time to start casting my own.

That would tell me too small a bullet &/or too hard for your pressures. So the bullet obturates a bit past that first inch & you get a good gas seal & the leading stops. So a softer bullet or larger bullet or, counter intuative, higher pressures should give less leading. Since you are stuck w/ commercial, if you can't get them to send you a larger bullet, I am not sure how you get low vel/pressure loads to run well. You can try a coating of Alox (LEE) or JPW, see if that gives you a better gas seal early.:dunno: You could also try moly coated lead but I am not a fan of moly.

dwhite53
11-17-2012, 09:43
*** USE THIS INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK. WHILE IT WORKS FOR ME, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN ***

I run Missouri Bullet 170 grain LSWC's through my stock G22 barrel with great results.

I run 5.5 grains of Unique with any small pistol primer and usually get 2 inch groups at 10 yards. Could probably group better with a better person behind the trigger. These go through my Taurus 24/7 PRO C with great results also.

I get no more leading in it that I do my Ruger Security-Six running hot .38 Special loads. Lead cleans out of the Glock barrel a LOT easier than the Ruger barrel too.

Try some Unique if you haven't. It's got some special juju with lead bullets.

All the Best,
D.White