Modified glock triggers - be careful [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Modified glock triggers - be careful

ShakyDave
11-15-2012, 23:55
One of my comp guns is a 34 with a competition trigger set about 2.5 lbs. Glock armorers take some kind of secret oath not to install modified trigger in a carry gun, which is probably a good idea. At my range a couple of years ago, a competitor was shooting a 34 with a modified trigger, the temperature was about 5 below zero, and when his hand hit the butt to draw he put a round through his calf and out his heel. His finger wasn't inside the trigger guard, and all range activity is on video so everybody can see what's going on. A Glock rep was at the scene and inspected the gun while its owner was en route to the ER, and said that it was functioning perfectly - the only theory he could come up with was that the cold had contracted the firing assembly to the point that the trigger pull was less than a pound and the impact of his hand on the butt torched it off.

TK-421
11-16-2012, 00:10
I think it might be a good idea to use the stock trigger when shooting in cold temps then.

glock_collector
11-16-2012, 16:11
I run a binford 2000 heated grip on my 17c, so as to prevent this very issue.

ron59
11-16-2012, 19:04
One of my comp guns is a 34 with a competition trigger set about 2.5 lbs. Glock armorers take some kind of secret oath not to install modified trigger in a carry gun, which is probably a good idea. At my range a couple of years ago, a competitor was shooting a 34 with a modified trigger, the temperature was about 5 below zero, and when his hand hit the butt to draw he put a round through his calf and out his heel. His finger wasn't inside the trigger guard, and all range activity is on video so everybody can see what's going on. A Glock rep was at the scene and inspected the gun while its owner was en route to the ER, and said that it was functioning perfectly - the only theory he could come up with was that the cold had contracted the firing assembly to the point that the trigger pull was less than a pound and the impact of his hand on the butt torched it off.

So let's see the video. Link?

Oh. And "a Glock rep was on the scene"? Sorry, but I'm calling hijinks on your entire story.

HK Dan
11-16-2012, 19:10
Yeag dittos. Unless he disabled 3 internal safeties he HAD to have the trigger pulled for the fun to fire, period.

Black&TAN
11-16-2012, 19:32
BTW, no secret oaths taken by Armorers.

Factory education, factory parts. It's a liability issue when it comes to triggers, connectors, springs, etc.

Glock backing my work and supplying OEM quality parts at considerably reduced prices is reason to stay true to the practice. It's a privilege I've paid for, but respect their wishes nonetheless.

Just my .02

sent via Tapatalk

Arc Angel
11-16-2012, 19:34
:upeyes: Coincidentially, a friend showed me two of his pistols today: a Glock 34, and an M&P 9mm. The M&P had an Apex trigger and striker spring in it. Both triggers were really light! I didn't like them at all. When I cautioned him against carrying either of these pistols I was told that it was OK. For carry all he did was use standard firing pin springs and the pull weights increased to around 3.5#'s.

Not me, brother! One of my early lessons with Glock pistols is that, under the right circumstances, a Glock's trigger can be stacked. Personally, I'm not the least bit surprised that your friend's (modified) Glock 34 went off unexpectedly. As far as I'm concerned, of all the popular semiautomatic pistols, it's the Glocks that should never have any trigger lighter than 4#'s - Never!

You've already stated a number of reasons, 'Why'. ;)

SouthpawG26
11-17-2012, 07:35
Ahhh, the Glock Armorer...everyone and their gardener calls themselves that these days. The question is whether they are Certified or certifiable..

A Glock that goes off by hitting the butt, has, just for starters, a nonfunctional trigger safety. Regardless of the trigger pull poundage. That Armorer should explain how the cold disengaged that trigger safety.

Arc Angel
11-17-2012, 09:05
....... A Glock that goes off by hitting the butt, has, just for starters, a nonfunctional trigger safety. Regardless of the trigger pull poundage. .....

I WISH that were true! ;)

Black&TAN
11-17-2012, 09:07
Ahhh, the Glock Armorer...everyone and their gardener calls themselves that these days. The question is whether they are Certified or certifiable..

A Glock that goes off by hitting the butt, has, just for starters, a nonfunctional trigger safety. Regardless of the trigger pull poundage. That Armorer should explain how the cold disengaged that trigger safety.
Whether or not that was directed my way, for the record, I am both Certified and certifiable. ;)

The trigger safety could be considered the heart of Glocks system. If it's damaged or otherwise inoperable, there is potential of discharge by forces created by a drop.

To further explain (in brief), in a situation with a nonfunctional trigger safety, the trigger could move rearward by inertia, trigger bar moves rearward, drop safety disengages at back of movement, shot breaks.

However in case of OP, the pistol was inspected following incident, and trigger safety was deemed functional?

With a functional trigger, drop safety simply blocks the striker until the trigger is pulled. The pistol can not fire if these parts are in working order.

One concern with aftermarket or otherwise modified parts is that of engagement. Firing pin and cruciform engagement can slip, causing problems.

sent via Tapatalk

samurairabbi
11-17-2012, 09:35
One possibility that would have NOT shown up on video or on inspection of the gun itself: something wedged against the trigger INSIDE THE HOLSTER when the gun fired. Drawing from a holster seems implied by the OP with his statement about the shooter's hand hitting the butt of the gun. Such a piece of cloth or other small item could be easily overlooked in the aftermath of such an incident.

The lighter trigger pull might have been a contributing factor in such a case, by making it easier for debris inside the holster to work the trigger.

waktasz
11-17-2012, 18:55
So a guy installed a trigger that disabled all 3 internal safeties, and shot a hole in his leg and now we should all take the competition triggers out of our guns?

Roger that, I'll get right on it.

oldman11
11-17-2012, 19:59
So a guy installed a trigger that disabled all 3 internal safeties, and shot a hole in his leg and now we should all take the competition triggers out of our guns?

+1 on that. :whistling:

ron59
11-18-2012, 15:35

I only WISH I was this funny.

Great insight, and well said.

dvrdwn72
11-22-2012, 11:47
Secret oath??? nothing secret about it. Glock tells you not to do it, as a glock armorer. You can not do a .25 cent trigger job either.

waktasz
11-22-2012, 12:00
That's just the lawyers talking. Pretty much every gun company warns not to modify their stuff.

Rick305
11-22-2012, 14:32
I'm calling bs on this until proven non bs (video)

ModGlock17
11-22-2012, 15:20
I'm calling bs on this until proven non bs (video)

I agree. BS in capital letters.

Trigger would not move, unless finger presses the middle trigger safety.

Secondly, I set my 308 Rifle trigger to 5 ounces! You can not make it go off by a shock to the gun. In gun designing, that is one of the first things designers think about, to avoid.

People who believe this stuff, has no understand nor experience in handling guns, at least ones with light trigger. And the BS shows!

PBR Sailor
11-22-2012, 15:22
A 5.5# trigger is light enough for me.

ron59
11-23-2012, 22:18
I agree. BS in capital letters.

Trigger would not move, unless finger presses the middle trigger safety.

Technically not true. Add a 6lb trigger spring and 4lb striker... and it can cause the trigger to not move forward enough to reset the trigger safety.

This is fact, not theory or myth.

samurairabbi
11-24-2012, 00:17
Technically not true. Add a 6lb trigger spring and 4lb striker... and it can cause the trigger to not move forward enough to reset the trigger safety.

Since I posted the "object trapped in holster" theory, I pose this question: if the trigger safety was not engaged when the gun was holstered, something would still have had to disengage the striker and drop safeties. How could this have been achieved?

ModGlock17
11-24-2012, 12:04

That's my set up. And I can't get what you said to happen.

Only conceivable scenario is that you drop the gun in the dirt. All gummed up.

My trigger is somewhere less than 2lbs... All stock parts except for the springs. It resets EVERY time for thousands of rounds, so far. It allows me to put 75%+ rounds inside 4" circle at 25yrd distance. A better shooter can do better, I am sure.

waktasz
11-24-2012, 12:58
Since I posted the "object trapped in holster" theory, I pose this question: if the trigger safety was not engaged when the gun was holstered, something would still have had to disengage the striker and drop safeties. How could this have been achieved?

Pulling the trigger disables all of the built in safeties, so if the primary trigger safety was not working, something stuck in the holster that was above to pull the trigger would make it bang.

G36_Me
11-24-2012, 15:37
Just renewed my Armorer Cert for the 2nd time;actually did it down in Smyrna. There is no "secret" oath. There is a public oath to not install non-Glock parts. I specifically asked if that oath extended to aftermarket sights and the answer related to sights was: "OK, to install non Glock sights".

waktasz
11-24-2012, 15:41
What fun is that?

SpectreRider
11-24-2012, 21:00
............ Secondly, I set my 308 Rifle trigger to 5 ounces! You can not make it go off by a shock to the gun. In gun designing, that is one of the first things designers think about, to avoid.

I am impressed :wow:. I have a .308 with a 3.5 lb two stage and I thought THAT was light.

ModGlock17
11-24-2012, 21:34
I am impressed :wow:. I have a .308 with a 3.5 lb two stage and I thought THAT was light.

Jewell Trigger, said to go to 1.5 ounces at the lowest (spec'd 1.5 ounces to 3 lbs).

Made a big dent in my checking account....

Just touch it and it goes, crisp and clean break. A near "surprised" shot every time for me.

IlliniGlocker
11-25-2012, 00:56
I call BS. Unless the trigger job was done by an idiot, the internal three safeties remain intact. Hitting the butt of the gun would not cause it to go off. Slipping your finger in the trigger would.

ronin.45
12-03-2012, 08:35

Me too! This undocumented internet story sounds way too scary to be ignored.