Jams? Stovepipes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jams? Stovepipes?

ShakyDave
11-16-2012, 00:07
I'm originally a 1911 guy, but teachable. All I heard was that whatever else, a Glock eats anything you feed it, and goes bang every time you pull the trigger. So the other day I'm in a competition with my 34, only guy on the range driving a Glock, and guess what? I was also the only guy on the range to drop 30 points on an six round, 8 second course of fire because Nelly choked and puked after the third shot. I hung my head in shame.

So, here in the family, just us girls talking, has anybody else had their Glock constipate itself in the middle of draining a magazine?

INEEDMILK
11-16-2012, 01:20
FTF?

FTE?

Reloads?

One handed shooting?

Weak handed shooting?

How many rounds through it?

Has it ever failed before?

Gen3?

Gen4?

Any aftermarket parts?

New magazines?

Social Security Number?

Favorite color?

Do you like dogs?

What are your thoughts on the Mars Curiosity Lander?

Veedubklown
11-16-2012, 05:16
Back when I first got my glock, I did the fanboy thing of changing out everything you could buy from a catalog, because the aftermarket knows better than gaston! Lighter spring kit, mostly. Lightened striker spring didn't work well with harder primers like TulAmmo, and would sometimes fail with federal. Left the rest of the lighter springs in, changed that back to stock. No problems since.

Hard to tell why your gun jammed, any idea what?

fredj338
11-16-2012, 14:01
I shoot IDPA 3-4 a month, I also SO. I see a lot of Glock FT feed. Most are during one hand shooting, sometimes weak side barracades. It's the dreaded Glock limp wristing. I never have this issue w/ a 1911 or my XDs.

sciolist
11-16-2012, 14:23
Get your hardware sorted out, and the gun will run fine. And stop shaking.

GlockinNJ
11-16-2012, 14:37
I'm originally a 1911 guy, but teachable. All I heard was that whatever else, a Glock eats anything you feed it, and goes bang every time you pull the trigger. So the other day I'm in a competition with my 34, only guy on the range driving a Glock, and guess what? I was also the only guy on the range to drop 30 points on an six round, 8 second course of fire because Nelly choked and puked after the third shot. I hung my head in shame.

So, here in the family, just us girls talking, has anybody else had their Glock constipate itself in the middle of draining a magazine?

YES. My stock Gen 3 G22 FTRTBs once in a while, including during an indoor GSSF match.

I was using factory ammo, factory mags that were shipped with the gun, shooting two handed and had nothing on the rail.

Glocks aren't perfect.

dhgeyer
11-16-2012, 14:41
Yes, it is true that some of the early production Gen4 and late production Gen3 Glocks have been having extraction/ejection issues, some more serious than others. This has been most prevalent in 9mm, but also has been found in 40 S&W.

But as INEEDMILK pointed out, you didn't tell us much. With more information, we might be of some help. Also, there is a lot of information if you use the search function.

Jim
11-16-2012, 16:46
I shoot IDPA 3-4 a month, I also SO. I see a lot of Glock FT feed. Most are during one hand shooting, sometimes weak side barracades. It's the dreaded Glock limp wristing. I never have this issue w/ a 1911 or my XDs.

I guess all guns are different. I have a pair of third-gen G19's that both pass my "Ultimate Limp Wrist Challenge":
Load with 15 +1 of std vel JHP
Left hand
Elbow bent
Limp wrist
Hold with just middle finger and thumb

They fire all 16 and lock the slide back on the last round.
Limp wristing is not a problem with these two.