Texas gun transfer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Texas gun transfer

Triple7
11-15-2012, 23:40
Sorry if this is a noob question. I'm selling a G17 that I have to a buddies dad. Is there some sort of transfer of ownership form or anything I should do? I've only bought guns at shops.
Thanks

Btw selling the G17 to buy a G19 I haven't lost my mind

TexasPOff
11-16-2012, 00:16
Texas does not require you to transfer, paperwork wise a firearm between two individuals. I would suggest a bill of sale, and copies of drivers licenses for both parties, just for CYA purposes. If I was an individual seller and had reason to believe the buyer has a questionable background, then I might reconsider the transaction... TXPO

byaah_19
11-16-2012, 00:51
Hand him the gun and you take the money. Viola!! Done. Texas requires no bill of sale and no transfer. I personally don't do a bill of sale unless the other party wants to. Even then I will only show them my license but I will not allow anyone to have my address and DL#. Just my personal preference.

Clutch Cargo
11-16-2012, 00:59
In the words of Stevie "Guitar" Miller - "take the money and run"

JBnTX
11-16-2012, 02:56
In Texas, face to face firearms transfers without any official documentation are perfectly legal.

He hands you the money, you give him the gun. Finished.

BUT, as a responsible gun owner you should never knowingly sell, trade or give a known felon a firearm. Know your buyer.

Triple7
11-16-2012, 05:59
Thanks guys!

Tired Retired
11-16-2012, 08:53
One point not mentioned - I am assuming that both you (and your Glock) and your buddy's dad both reside in the State of Texas. If you are doing the sale across state lines, the it requires a transfer via an FFL per federal law.

If you are both smart enough to be living in Texas, follow this procedure:

1) the put the unloaded pistol in its case,
2) pick the case up in your RIGHT had,
3) ask the buddy's father to place the cash in HIS RIGHT hand,
4) YOU place the pistol has in HIS LEFT hand,
5) HE places the cash into YOUR LEFT hand,
6) you BOTH shake RIGHT hands (legally seals the deal in Texas),
7) say "thanks, nice doing business with you"
8) Walk off with the cash in your left hand.

M2 Carbine
11-16-2012, 18:56
I did this just a couple hours ago.

Here's the gun.

Here's the money.

The end.

Thank goodness you live in a free state.

Ken B
11-17-2012, 11:44
Texas does not require you to transfer, paperwork wise a firearm between two individuals. I would suggest a bill of sale, and copies of drivers licenses for both parties, just for CYA purposes. If I was an individual seller and had reason to believe the buyer has a questionable background, then I might reconsider the transaction... TXPO

+1...almost all of the trades/sales/buys I've done the last several years we've done this. Most were strangers (in as sense) I only knew off GT or AR15.com and they have always went smooth