I thought Springfield stopped making the Mil-Spec? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I thought Springfield stopped making the Mil-Spec?

Airborne Infantryman
11-17-2012, 18:41
My shop got in a beautiful stainless Mil-Spec the other day. Brand new. I thought SA stopped making them??

This one in particular comes with wood grips, and has black polymer grips in the box with it.

I'm strongly considering picking it up, as it is TIGHT. No slop, wobble, anything, even with the hammer back.

Trigger pull is "ok", but other than that, its solid as hell. They want $638 for it. Is that an ok price? These guys deal directly with SA, and their prices on SA stuff are amazing. I got my brand new MC Operator a few weeks ago for $1040 from them. (Quantico Tactical)

The serial # also starts with "NM". Does this mean this one is made in the states? Based on how well-fitted it was (slide to frame, extractor), it doesn't scream "Brazil".

If I were to pick this thing up, I'm thinking a set of black VZ Recon's, and some mags, and that's it.

I only have a railed 1911, which is my MC Operator. What say the ye ole' hive?

Rinspeed
11-17-2012, 19:05
Brand new. I thought SA stopped making them??

They never did make them.

Airborne Infantryman
11-17-2012, 19:06

Que?

What's up with the "NM" serial # prefix then? :dunno:

samuse
11-17-2012, 19:48
Que?

Que? No se...

I think they may have quit making the G.I., not sure though.

As far as I know, the NM serial prefix is fit and assembled here in the states.

Snag it if you like it, price is decent...

F106 Fan
11-17-2012, 19:48
Que?

Don't know about SA but with Colt the NM used to stand for National Match - Gold Cups.

Richard

Tophatter
11-18-2012, 04:04
Springfields with NM-prefixed serial numbers are assembled in the States.

$643's a pretty decent price. I got mine for $600, but after transfer and shipping fees it came out a little above $650, so it's a wash.

silversport
11-18-2012, 05:50
if it is the pistol you want then that price is fair for today's market...in 2005 a buddy and I bought stainless Mil Spec's for a project that Teddy Jacobson and Stephen Camp were doing (Project Street Gun) and mine had the NM marked serial while my buddy's did not...

other than some cosmetic differences and different front sights...they shot identical and have been (to this point) reliable both before and of course after transformation...I still like it very much...

...a co worker said my Mil Spec shoots more accurate (for him) than his duty, early manufacture TRP...whatever...I like it, it shoots great and is reliable...not my favorite configuration but it is one I wanted to have...

I think they are very nice pistols as is or as a starting point to wherever you want to take it...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/silversport1/P1000072.jpg

Bill

R0CKETMAN
11-18-2012, 05:53
News to me

glock2740
11-18-2012, 07:16
SA stopped making the GI. They still make the Mil-Spec.

MD357
11-18-2012, 09:10

Not true.

The serial # also starts with "NM". Does this mean this one is made in the states? Based on how well-fitted it was (slide to frame, extractor), it doesn't scream "Brazil".

NM stands for new model, it is 80% finished by Imbel and then cut and finished here in the states.

faawrenchbndr
11-18-2012, 09:25

Not true.

He's being a smart ***,.......suggesting that SA does not make
them because of the Brazil forging.

HoBoJoe
11-21-2012, 07:29
SA stopped making the GI. They still make the Mil-Spec.

This.

FLIPPER 348
11-21-2012, 08:12

they are all 'made' in Brazil

Rinspeed
11-21-2012, 08:23
they are all 'made' in Brazil

That's the point I was making.

MD357
11-21-2012, 11:05
By the same theory I guess Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, etc are made in Korea?

Jason D
11-21-2012, 16:28
By the same theory I guess Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, etc are made in Korea?

If the parts are forged and they are largely put together there, then yes the would be.

Imbel has been in the 1911 game for a very long time. They build a fairly well build gun. Everyone knows that the N marked guns are all forged and constructed by Imbel.

The NM marked Springfields are all forged by Imbel but mostly fit and put together here in the US. I would not exactly consider them to be a USA made firearm. Some seem to think they are fit and finished better than the Imbel built N marked guns.

My experience with both would make me say they are just about equal but with the NM marked guns slightly edging out the N marked pistols.

silversport
11-22-2012, 06:14
If the parts are forged and they are largely put together there, then yes the would be.

Imbel has been in the 1911 game for a very long time. They build a fairly well build gun. Everyone knows that the N marked guns are all forged and constructed by Imbel.

The NM marked Springfields are all forged by Imbel but mostly fit and put together here in the US. I would not exactly consider them to be a USA made firearm. Some seem to think they are fit and finished better than the Imbel built N marked guns.

My experience with both would make me say they are just about equal but with the NM marked guns slightly edging out the N marked pistols.

...this is my experience as well...I don't know why this subject gets so much traction on the errornet but there it is...

Bill

MD357
11-22-2012, 08:22

Right, as I said earlier they send an 80% NM marked frame here, Springfield cuts the rails and finishes the pistol. I think it's fair to say that they make them, in the same sense many other 1911 makers also get their parts elsewhere and finish them. Of course the import stamped guns are a different story.

Nestor
11-24-2012, 21:30
You guys are lucky, anyway.
I didn't see any new Springfield 1911s in Canada for the last 2 years or so...they just stopped importing them I guess.