new to reloading need some help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new to reloading need some help

reelnative
11-17-2012, 19:47
Hi im new to the reloading game so i need to start asking the stupid questions first haha i know most of you guys dont like the lee pro 1000 from what ive seen in here but its all i could get, my first q is what is a good powder, i will be loading 45acp and have bought 1000 starline brass so far and am going to get 5000 cci 300 primers, ive been looking at the win 231 powder is it ok for 45acp also i found 8lbs for 120.00 is that a good price, is there better powders for the 45acp, i will want to load so normal 185 and 230gr rounds in the 850fps range and also might try to work some up to the 1000 1100 range, any replys would be great thanks

F106 Fan
11-17-2012, 20:19
You should have some loading manuals that will give you this information.

You can go to the Hodgdon site and use their database to get load data. Your highest velocities are going to be a problem for 231 powder.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Alliant also has a database but I don't use it very much:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

I hope you plan to load for quite a while before you start heading toward +P pressure and velocity.

Richard

Kwesi
11-17-2012, 22:34
I would start with 1# until you confirm your choice of favorite powders. I personally like Power Pistol for 9mm and 10mm. It also works really good for 45 ACP but I don't shoot competition. BTW: I would also research how well the powder meters. Some are flakes that require hand weighing each charge (not for me) while others are like sugar sand and are great like Power Pistol, etc.

reelnative
11-18-2012, 00:53
thanks for the repleys guys im gonna do a lot of reading before i start loading rounds and even then i will start off light and no more then 50 rounds at a time to get the hang of it, I like to shoot but the price of ammo is really crazy, so i fig ill spend the same but get to shoot more, plus my wife is getting into shooting my diff 45 pistols so now i have another mouth to feed, is there a good powder that will meter well in the lee pro1000 and still be able to load light and all the way up to +p or even super that is not wicked expensive also where is the best prices for powder and primers, and on the subject of primers are some better then others, i was told to use cci primers cause they work well in the lee pro1000, and what are the short commings of the lee 1000 thanks again for any help you all may give

Kentguy
11-18-2012, 06:25
reelnative,

If you haven't already purchased some load books, please make that a priority. as F106 Fan pointed out... "You should have some loading manuals that will give you this information." - Some really good information in them.
The ABC's of Reloading 9th Edition
Hornady 8th Edition (9th edition is just out now)
Lyman 49th Edition
Speer #14

These are just a few, make sure you put these on your Christmas list for Santa to bring. :supergrin:

My 3 favorite powders in this caliber to make "general target" rounds are;
Alliant Bullseye
Winchester 231
Hodgdon Universal

I also stick with the 230g FMJ RM for this as well, these are my personal preference, others will have theirs.

Good luck and be safe

F106 Fan
11-18-2012, 09:24
is there a good powder that will meter well in the lee pro1000 and still be able to load light and all the way up to +p or even super that is not wicked expensive

No... Fast powders, like Bullseye, are used to make light loads while slow powders, like Unique, are used to make heavy loads. There's a little science to this reloading thing...

That's why you want a load manual or perhaps the Hodgdon site (although Hodgdon doesn't provide data for either Bullseye or Unique because they are Alliant powders). You need to sit back and reflect on the various load velocities versus the type of powder. In general, they will follow the rule listed above.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

There are some folks around here who don't like the idea of newbies using fast powder. The reason is simple: it doesn't take much of an overcharge to blow up a gun. A side benefit is that some slow powders are very bulky and a double charge won't fit in a case. You will obviously see the powder overflow when you start to seat the bullet. With a fast powder, it may be possible to double charge and still not see the powder level unless you look straight down at the case.

I really wish you would put off mentioning +P or Super for a while. You really don't want to go there any time soon. More to the point, I don't want to get involved with helping you get there.

I have been reloading since the early '80s and I still don't load much beyond mid-range. I certainly don't load SD ammo

How fast does a bullet need to go to poke a hole in paper?

also where is the best prices for powder and primers, and on the subject of primers are some better then others, i was told to use cci primers cause they work well in the lee pro1000,

Try Powder Valley for primers and powder. Primers are getting to be a little scarce right now. You may have a problem finding small pistol primers but you can find the 'match' versions. PV has CCI small pistol at the moment and large pistol is no problem.

Federal primers are considered the easiest to light and, while I don't use many CCI primers, I would certainly consider them. I do use CCI for my 6.5x284 Norma rifle loads.

I just ordered 5K of Tula large and small pistol primers to test. They're somewhat cheaper than Federal or CCI and many folks have used them without a problem. We'll see...

Richard

reelnative
11-18-2012, 10:22
thanks f106 im not going to be loading anything more then tame loads for a while, i just asked about the hotter loads because i want to know as much about reloading that i can get before i start. so the win 231 powder would be a good powder to start with ?

F106 Fan
11-18-2012, 10:44
thanks f106 im not going to be loading anything more then tame loads for a while, i just asked about the hotter loads because i want to know as much about reloading that i can get before i start. so the win 231 powder would be a good powder to start with ?

Win 231 is a reasonably slow powder and there are loads available for .45 ACP over at the Hodgdon site. There is also load data in Speer #14 (seem pretty hot!) and Hornady 8th Edition (and probably in the new 9th Edition).

Sure, you can start with that.

Richard

fredj338
11-18-2012, 13:07
It's a good starter for 45acp, but I would only get 1# to start locally, try it, if you love it, then order 8#. It is NOT a +P powder though, you would need to go something lsower like WSF, which should meter fine in the finicky 1000.