Cleaned out Walmarts Ammo cabinet. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned out Walmarts Ammo cabinet.

bigmoney890
11-17-2012, 20:23
Well I just cleaned out Walmarts cache of .223, all 5 boxes of it:what:. I asked if they had more in the back. She laughed and says "we can't keep this in stock." Why are people so concerned about whatever in the hell they're concerned about?:confused:

ETA: Have y'all noticed the same thing in your area?

samuse
11-17-2012, 20:33
Haven't noticed.

I buy all my ammo online, I don't have to go to Wal Mart and I can buy in case lots.

I confirm zero with the first box and shoot through a case at a time. I hate not being sure where my POI is.

bigmoney890
11-17-2012, 20:45
Unfortunantely I can't but cases at a time yet. So i've gotta stick to buying a couple hundred rounds at a time locally

JDennis
11-17-2012, 20:47
I stopped by one of my local ones. Not even a box of Tula was in stock. My other one had only a few boxes of Tula only in stock

Brian Brazier
11-17-2012, 21:07
Luckily my LGS has plenty of ammo, I dont know why the rush is on, Obama hasnt tried nor will he be able to pass a weapons ban of any type. Any bans will never make it past Congress, nothing is going to change, but people are still freaking out. Are we gonna have to go through this everytime a Blue gets elected President?

bigmoney890
11-17-2012, 21:19
I certainly hope not!

TK-421
11-17-2012, 21:21
Luckily my LGS has plenty of ammo, I dont know why the rush is on, Obama hasnt tried nor will he be able to pass a weapons ban of any type. Any bans will never make it past Congress, nothing is going to change, but people are still freaking out. Are we gonna have to go through this everytime a Blue gets elected President?

People keep claiming he'll pass stuff with executive order, since those only need to pass the senate, which is controlled by the democrats. No idea if that's true or not, never looked into the powers executive orders have or whatnot, it's just what a few people have claimed.

LASTRESORT20
11-17-2012, 21:32

~ "Are we gonna have to go through this everytime a Blue gets elected President?" ~

`Some folks`... might feel this could "be the last time"...anything is possible as `we all` just found out....especially "If" a Dictator is in office....Folks gotta do what they gotta do....

railfancwb
11-17-2012, 21:33
I don't think a presidential executive order needs any legislative support.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Brian Brazier
11-17-2012, 21:38
I believe Executive Order cannot be used to make or pass laws, it can only be used to enforce laws passed by Congress. Look here at history and use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order

TK-421
11-17-2012, 21:39
I don't think a presidential executive order needs any legislative support.

I would assume it needs support of at least some kind, due to the whole checks and balances system. But, like I said, I don't know anything about executive orders, so I could be wrong.

pipedreams
11-17-2012, 21:46
Franklin D. Roosevelt's Executive Order 6102 Requiring Gold Coin, Gold Bullion and Gold Certificates to Be Delivered to the Government. If that can be done most anything is possible.

gunowner1
11-17-2012, 21:46
Stopped at the local LGS ( Lotus Gun Works) here in Jensen Beach, Florida and they have cases of everything in stock. I picked up LPP's , SPP's and an extra pound of powder. Also picked up six 30 round P-Mags cause they were on sale for $11.00. I may get a few more tomorrow. I may have to go to the local Walmart to see what their ammo cabinet looks like. From what I have seen in the South Florida area there is no ammo shortage here.
Luckily I have at least 2,000 rounds of factory ammo for every caliber I shoot and another 1,000 rounds for each caliber that I've been loading as I have time. I may load another five hundred in 9mm this weekend.

Ruggles
11-17-2012, 21:48
Day after the election at local Wal-MArt. Two ARs sold and all the .223/5.56mm ammo with the exception of the $28 per 20 round Winchester hog hunting stuff (which looks sweet BTW)

I order some at Midway, on backorder till early 2013.

The Dems are not going to run wild on anything just because they won the election. They do want to get re-elected next time I bet :)

Obama is not going to buck the Democratic Party and go rouge and run wild just because he can not run again.

Gunhaver
11-17-2012, 22:03
There was a short rush right after the election but now things are back to normal. Shelves are stocked and prices are normal. Guess I live in one of the sane states.

On the plus side, it did clear out Orschlin's shelf of weird uncommon calibers that looked like they've been sitting for 20 years. Now they have more room for the regular stuff.

Rooster Rugburn
11-17-2012, 22:09
So you "cleaned out Wal-Mart", and asked if there was more. Now you are asking what people are so concerned about.

What are you concerned about?

I've heard the Wal-Mart's here are pretty bare too.

TK-421
11-17-2012, 22:28
Franklin D. Roosevelt's Executive Order 6102 Requiring Gold Coin, Gold Bullion and Gold Certificates to Be Delivered to the Government. If that can be done most anything is possible.

Agreed. If Obama tries the same thing with guns, there will be hell to pay. Our legislators better throw a huge hissy fit.

bigmoney890
11-17-2012, 22:29
So you "cleaned out Wal-Mart", and asked if there was more. Now you are asking what people are so concerned about.

What are you concerned about?

I've heard the Wal-Mart's here are pretty bare too.

Im not concerned about anything, and i was picking fun.

I'm going to the range tomorrow and I wanted to pick up some ammo to shoot.

GlockN
11-17-2012, 22:50
Unfortunantely I can't but cases at a time yet. So i've gotta stick to buying a couple hundred rounds at a time locally

Odd comment coming from a guy with a username BIGMONEY. :supergrin:

Brian Brazier
11-17-2012, 23:24

That was before the 1952 Guidelines and Rules were put into place.

mjkeat
11-17-2012, 23:28
The closest WalMart has ammunition in stock all the time. People are over-thinking things and in the long run screwing themselves.

TK-421
11-17-2012, 23:29
That was before the 1952 Guidelines and Rules were put into place.

What are the 1952 rules and guidelines?

Brian Brazier
11-17-2012, 23:45
What are the 1952 rules and guidelines?

I cannot find a list of them but before 1952 an Executive Order could do or be anything, after 1952 they could only be used to clarify or act to further a law passed by Congress or the Constitution, so Congress would have to pass a Weapons ban of some sort before the President could make further that law.

TK-421
11-17-2012, 23:48
I cannot find a list of them but before 1952 an Executive Order could do or be anything, after 1952 they could only be used to clarify or act to further a law passed by Congress, so Congress would have to pass a Weapons ban of some sort before the President could make further that law.

So Obama can't make an assault weapons ban himself and get it approved by making an executive order instead of trying to get it passed through congress?

Durden
11-17-2012, 23:55
The level of paranoia and the behavior of ammo hoarders is beyond ridiculous, and is the main reason why I've pretty much not purchased any significant amounts of any ammo is a long, long time.

I think it's possible that we're approaching or near the top of what is an irrational ammunition bubble, but bubbles can persist for far longer than many ever thought possible.

Brian Brazier
11-18-2012, 00:01
So Obama can't make an assault weapons ban himself and get it approved by making an executive order instead of trying to get it passed through congress?

Thats right

Matthew Courtney
11-18-2012, 06:59
The level of paranoia and the behavior of ammo hoarders is beyond ridiculous, and is the main reason why I've pretty much not purchased any significant amounts of any ammo is a long, long time.

I think it's possible that we're approaching or near the top of what is an irrational ammunition bubble, but bubbles can persist for far longer than many ever thought possible.

6 months ago ammo prices reflected the input costs + the mark up margin historically seen in the industry. Bobbles are characterized by margin levels that far exceed what is normal. In the past 6 months, prices have risen about 35% for the least expensive loads, while mid range and costlier load pricing has remained constant.

Furthermore, the administration can cause ammuntion input costs to rise simply by requiring military brass be shredded before being recycled. Half of the brass cased centerfire ammo fired in the US each year is loaded in recycled military brass. The administration can also restrict supply by defining bimetal jacketed bullets as armor piercing, which would prohibit import, have the EPA find that lead bullets harm the environment to prohibit lead bullets under the clean water act, and use money already apprpropriated to buy all domestic production of military and law enforcement calibers.

I certainly hope that you are right, but to remain in business as a firearns instructor, I have to hedge. This year my hedge has been to stock up on ammo in case retail availability dries up. In 2009, avaiability recovered by years end. I hope the same occurs, because I only have a 2 year supply.

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 08:00

Look how long the housing bubble lasted...

humanguerrilla
11-18-2012, 09:41
It is not going to get cheaper. It goes up a good deal every year and recently thanks to the internet when ATK and other big ammo manufacturers send out a letter about a big price hike it is viral right then. Paranoid hoarder or someone that really wants to shoot and is in it for the long haul?

Gunnut 45/454
11-18-2012, 09:42
Yea I stopped into my LGS yesterday when I noticed I was under my min for LR primers. And what does he have -8 or 9 cases of PMC 55gr FMJ!! First time I saw cases in the shop. So unfortunately my wallet got alot lighter as I walked out with a case. Can never have enough ammo!:rofl:

Brian Brazier
You go ahead and think that way. So he needed Congresses approval for his Illegal Amnesty!! Funny I thought he did that with EO!:steamed:

Rooster Rugburn
11-18-2012, 13:08

It's not a matter of whether he can or cannot. It's more a matter of if he tries to do it anyway, who will stop him?

If he needs a law to adjust, why not use the one Reagan the original RINO signed in 1986?

Four years ago, I told the chicken littles here that the demorats didn't have the political will to give the repubicans gun control as an issue, that they remembered what happened in 1994 and their plans were much broader than just gun control. I was right.

Now, I am saying that even though we don't think Obama can legally use Executive Orders, don't be surprised if he does or tries. If he does, does it take an act of Congress, including the Senate to reverse it? Or will it take the SCOTUS? Either way, if he does, it won't go well for us.

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 13:49
It's not a matter of whether he can or cannot. It's more a matter of if he tries to do it anyway, who will stop him?

If he needs a law to adjust, why not use the one Reagan the original RINO signed in 1986?

Four years ago, I told the chicken littles here that the demorats didn't have the political will to give the repubicans gun control as an issue, that they remembered what happened in 1994 and their plans were much broader than just gun control. I was right.

Now, I am saying that even though we don't think Obama can legally use Executive Orders, don't be surprised if he does or tries. If he does, does it take an act of Congress, including the Senate to reverse it? Or will it take the SCOTUS? Either way, if he does, it won't go well for us.

Even if he tried, who the hell would enforce it? I highly doubt local cops will start knocking on doors to enfore an executive order. The federal agencies don't have the manpower to do it, and I'm not so sure they WOULD do it. In the end it would be an action with no legal weight and no muscle to make it stick.

Tvov
11-18-2012, 14:04
Just stopped at Cabela's in Hartford, Connecticut. They are LOADED with ammo. Cases, boxes, all calibers. They even have 9mm on sale.

20 minutes away, the Walmart has virtually empty ammo shelves, and for ammo that is more expensive...

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 14:28
Just stopped at Cabela's in Hartford, Connecticut. They are LOADED with ammo. Cases, boxes, all calibers. They even have 9mm on sale.

20 minutes away, the Walmart has virtually empty ammo shelves, and for ammo that is more expensive...

It seems at least some of the Wal-Mart warehouses are low or out of common calibers, and that's drastically affecting supplies in the stores. I guess they havent been buying enough to keep up with demand.

It does seem like there has been somewhat of a run, but nowhere near as bad as 08. I haven't seen the nasty examples of price gouging I saw in 08, either.

Rooster Rugburn
11-18-2012, 14:45
Even if he tried, who the hell would enforce it? I highly doubt local cops will start knocking on doors to enfore an executive order. The federal agencies don't have the manpower to do it, and I'm not so sure they WOULD do it. In the end it would be an action with no legal weight and no muscle to make it stick.

I want some of what you've been smoking.

Do you really think that BCM, SW, DPMS, RR, Spikes and all the other manufacturers are going to keep making them in spite of another AWB made by executive order?

Do you really think Buds and GandR Tactical and other sellers are going to keep selling them if Obama pens another AWB?

How would they enforce it? Just like they do now. The Kentucky branch of the BATFE would check on Buds Gunshop and the LGS in Kentucky. The TN branch\branches would check on gun stores in TN, the MS branch stores in MS AR branch on stores in AR, etc...

Why would you think that if Obama uses executive orders to reinstate another AWB, that makers and sellers would keep making and selling.

That's some mighty good herb you got.

Ruggles
11-18-2012, 16:42

Do you really think that BCM, SW, DPMS, RR, Spikes and all the other manufacturers are going to keep making them in spite of another AWB made by executive order?

Do you really think Buds and GandR Tactical and other sellers are going to keep selling them if Obama pens another AWB?

How would they enforce it? Just like they do now. The Kentucky branch of the BATFE would check on Buds Gunshop and the LGS in Kentucky. The TN branch\branches would check on gun stores in TN, the MS branch stores in MS AR branch on stores in AR, etc...

Why would you think that if Obama uses executive orders to reinstate another AWB, that makers and sellers would keep making and selling.

Do you think those makers are going to roll over an close shop due to a EO that is questionable at best in it's legality? I would think not.

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 17:02

You seriously think that BATFE even has the manpower to do this? You think they would all obey such an order willingly?

I highly doubt it.

MAXG
11-18-2012, 19:05
My Walmart(s) are typically out of .223. I check on stock when I'm there, and pick up some occasionally.

MG

Bucknasty
11-18-2012, 20:37
Self fulfilling prophecy.

Pwhfirefighter
11-18-2012, 22:18
Our local Wal Mart has never had a spectacular ammo selection to begin with, but really did not look any worse than normal tonight. So far prices are unchanged that I can tell. Bought 100 rounds of 9mm and .40. There were several 250 round bulk packs of 9m and .40 on the shelf along with common hunting rounds. There is never much .223/5.56, that pretty normal there. Would have bought more but did not have the $$. Appears the rush on ammo and price hikes are a bit slower getting here, hopefully the rush will be over before it does. So I will cont to pick up a little here and there when I can.

rilkil23
11-19-2012, 00:07
Got lucky tonight and caught the guy stocking the ammo shelves. Picked up 300 9mm and 200 7.62x39. They were well stocked except for .22lr. He said it is their biggest seller right now and .223 is impossible to keep in stock.

Durden
11-19-2012, 00:39
Got lucky tonight and caught the guy stocking the ammo shelves. Picked up 300 9mm and 200 7.62x39. They were well stocked except for .22lr. He said it is their biggest seller right now and .223 is impossible to keep in stock.

The TEOTWAWKI crowd is buying up .22lr as if it's a precious metal.

I don't agree with them, but they'll have the last laugh if I run out of large caliber ammo in the wake of a large asteroid strike, and I try to beg for some some delicious spit roasted squirrel or nutria that they're eating.

Leigh
11-19-2012, 09:48
Must be regional.

Pre-election 4 years ago? Yep, the rush was on.
Now? Not around here.

Local WallyWorld has Federal AE (black/white box) .223 for $6.97 and the only reason it sells so well is that it is cheap compared to Winchester 5.56 FMJ. Sone days they have 40 boxes on the shelves, some days 2-3, and some days none at all.

Last week, they even had two cans of the Federal green tip on stripper clips! Granted, they didn't last long but cheap (by comparison) ammo is still out there.

glock031
11-19-2012, 10:55
Ammo here locally is always hard to come by. Either its out of stock or priced extremely high. Don't know what the future holds but if it wasn't for that dam boating accident i'd have almost a lifetime supply thxs to internet sales of ammo.

wolf19r
11-19-2012, 21:09
I got all 4 boxes between 2 walmarts and academy.

Armchair Commando
11-20-2012, 01:27
I dont know why the rush is on, Obama hasnt tried nor will he be able to pass a weapons ban of any type. Any bans will never make it past Congress. Say that in 2014 when the democrats control the congress which they will easily do after seeing how obama got RE-ELECTED on some of the worst failed policies in american history! The GOP is dead and so is are gun rights, Just a matter of time now! All obama has to do is replace one conservative justice with a liberal one and the SCOTUS will hand down a reversal of heller and mcdonald! It's not paranoia its called stating the obvious! The republicans need to do a major overhaul if they want to stay competitive with the democrats, I say this because the democrats control the minority and woman vote to a huge degree not to mention this this election 96% of all black voters voted for obama, The leeches will always vote for santa claus, And since the leeches are starting to outnumber the providers in this country were fked. Most people on welfare are too fking lazy to work, And do you think their going to vote for a candidate who wants them to work and get jobs when they can get close to 30K a year from the government through section 8 housing and other government handouts!

Brian Brazier
11-20-2012, 01:53
2014 is along ways off yet, I think the GOP has allot of work to do, but if Americans had lost all faith in them the Dems would already controll Congress.

Rooster Rugburn
11-20-2012, 05:59
You seriously think that BATFE even has the manpower to do this? You think they would all obey such an order willingly?

I highly doubt it.

They already are doing it. The BATFE does an audit of Guns and Ammo every year.

During the last AWB you couldn't buy a rifle that was banned for features from any FFL. So the proof is in our history.

So you really think Buds Guns Shop and others are going to ignore a ban, and keep selling AR's after a ban? I don't know what to think about that. That's beyond naive.

brianfede
11-20-2012, 06:10
My local Walmart typically has low ammo stock, interestingly enough in the dozens of times I have purchased ammo there I have never seen anyone else buying ammo. I don't think the prices are all that great anymore, I can usually do better with on-line purchases. I haven't seen a run on ammo but some guys at the range suggest reloading supplies have been hard to locate.

Bren
11-20-2012, 06:26

You realize the democrats control the Senate, the White House and Republicans only have a 241-193 edge in the House and a 1 justice advantage in the Supreme Court, right?

Your confidence has no basis in reality.

LL6
11-20-2012, 06:50
You realize the democrats control the Senate, the White House and Republicans only have a 241-193 edge in the House and a 1 justice advantage in the Supreme Court, right?

Your confidence has no basis in reality.
Well said.