Another primer shortage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another primer shortage?

BSA70
11-17-2012, 21:46
Went to the local gun shop for powder and primers. Got the powder and the primers all gone.

Spoke to the owner, which really knows about guns. He has been on the phone and cannot find any any where. Big shortage on small pistol primers. He said the government had just order all the .223 up and it was causing the shortage.

Anyone heard of this?

LASTRESORT20
11-17-2012, 21:59
I have not...But thanks for the share.

F106 Fan
11-17-2012, 22:00
I gauge availability by what I can get from Powder Valley. They were just about out of small pistol primers but they had everything else. They now have CCI SPPs but nothing in Federal. It isn't looking good for small rifle primers or the botique 5.56 primers either. They do have all types of TULA primers.

So, yes, there is something of a shortage. I don't think I'm too concerned. I have about 50k primers of various types.

Richard

freakshow10mm
11-17-2012, 22:34
He said the government had just order all the .223 up and it was causing the shortage.

Anyone heard of this?
Pay attention to extremes like this. That is a BS flag if I ever saw one. Basically he has no clue and made up an excuse to try and sound like he has his finger on the pulse. Next time call him out that the .223 or 5.56 doesn't take small pistol primers, they take small rifle primers.

ETA: I predict 2012 isn't going to be like 2008. There may be slight increases in prices, but nothing like 2008. Republicans have the majority in the House, where bills start out, and they won't let stuff get through. 2014 is what to worry about. We need to maintain a Republican majority in the House and possibly gain some seats in the Senate. Guns from what I've seen on my distributor side of things have been most of the popular stuff is allocated or short term out of stock. The demand of 2012 is not near 2008 at this time.

dkf
11-17-2012, 22:48
What is probably happening is certain large retailers and local distributors that sell a lot of primers are probably selling out fast due to certain people going bonkers and ordering large amounts at a time. The retailer then throws in large orders (more than they usually order) to try and replenish stock and have some extra on hand. I am not seeing component shortages locally.

rdstrain49
11-17-2012, 23:20
Personally I don't much care. I have several lifetimes supplie of caps and waaay too much Black Powder. I'll not stop shooting no matter what.

sns3guppy
11-18-2012, 02:12
I just picked up another thousand small pistol; it sells out quickly, but as long as one keeps checking, it's there. Mostly I've been finding Federal Match.

HAMMERHEAD
11-18-2012, 07:56
Primers are in pretty good supply here in southeast MN and western WI. Just can't find any Federal SPP's. Plenty of Tula here as well.
In 2008 they were all gone by this point.

fredj338
11-18-2012, 09:02
There is a run starting on guns, ammo & primers again. Obama's reelection was bound to do this. I doubt the govt has ordered any new ammo, in fact, you are starting to see surplus hit the shelves now. With both conflicts winding down, I doubt it.
More likely people are starting to buy what is available because of the unknown future of guns & ammo going forward. Are we getting more regulations & taxes, certainly. Possible bans, maybe. Throw in the Myan calendar & people just want to be prepared.

Spiffums
11-18-2012, 09:04
Obama panic buying + end of the action shooting season = everyone buying primers.

breacher1
11-18-2012, 10:19
Personally I don't much care. I have several lifetimes supplie of caps and waaay too much Black Powder. I'll not stop shooting no matter what.

Good for you.

guess I should start hoarding too.

I never keep more than about 2K SPP on hand and now I can't find any locally. my bad.

jmorris
11-18-2012, 11:07
Depends on how much you shoot. 2k primers for your deer rifle will last a long time.

I shoot competitively every week and made sure I have around 50k on my bench besides my "hoard".

This stuff has been going on for decades, don't act too surprised.

jmorris
11-18-2012, 11:14
No need to worry anyway, just checked powder valley and they have primers for everything in stock from one manufacture or another.

SJ 40
11-18-2012, 11:59
Locally the only real shortage I have noticed is Federal SPP oh one dealer has them on his shelf,all you want at 60.00 a K.
CCI's and Remingtons and winchester,which I will not use at any price are in supply at completive prices. SJ 40

fredj338
11-18-2012, 12:05
Good for you.

guess I should start hoarding too.

I never keep more than about 2K SPP on hand and now I can't find any locally. my bad.

Well, 2K is not even being well supplied for many shooters. I keep 5K min of each size I shoot. When I break into the 5K, I order another 5K. They do not go bad & best prices come from ordering bulk & splitting HM.

Kwesi
11-18-2012, 13:02
There is a run starting on guns, ammo & primers again. Obam's reelection was bound to do this. I doubt the govt has oprdered any new ammo, in fact, you are starting to see surplus hit the shelves now. With both conflicts winding down, I doubt it.
More likely people are starting to buy what is available because of the unknown future of guns & ammo going forward. Are we getting mire regulations & taxes, certainly. Possible bans, maybe. Throw in the Myan calendar & people just want to be prepared.

fred: aside from considering individual shooting how many of each primer is prudent to stash: 5K, 10K, 25K or more? They aren't going bad & prices aren't expected to go down.

bush pilot
11-18-2012, 19:19
There is a run starting on guns, ammo & primers again. Obam's reelection was bound to do this. I doubt the govt has oprdered any new ammo, in fact, you are starting to see surplus hit the shelves now. With both conflicts winding down, I doubt it.
More likely people are starting to buy what is available because of the unknown future of guns & ammo going forward. Are we getting mire regulations & taxes, certainly. Possible bans, maybe. Throw in the Myan calendar & people just want to be prepared.

Fred is correct, the Mayans did predict a shortage of primers, powder and bullets in 2012. I forgot what their prediction was for AR-15s.

fredj338
11-18-2012, 21:21
fred: aside from considering individual shooting how many of each primer is prudent to stash: 5K, 10K, 25K or more? They aren't going bad & prices aren't expected to go down.
I think I posted this earlier but when I open my last 5K, I order another 5K of that size. That way I always have a couple months worth of primers, even if it takes a couple months to get the order. In early 09, when the run started, it took 3-4m to get primers @ a good price, I was fine. If it happens again, I will also be fine.:supergrin:

ejs54
11-19-2012, 00:21
Primers are in pretty good supply here in southeast MN and western WI. Just can't find any Federal SPP's. Plenty of Tula here as well.
In 2008 they were all gone by this point.

I went to a few of my sources in southern MN as well and found plenty of small pistol. Mostly Winchester with a little CCI here and there. Plenty of Large Rifle, Small Rifle not looking as good. Most powders are in stock too. Unique nowhere to be found as usual.

ImpeachObama
11-19-2012, 05:50
All this talk has me checking my levels. 30k of SPP and 6k of LPP. I feel like I need some more. Only because prices never go down.

shotgunred
11-19-2012, 06:18

That really depends on how much you shoot and your wallet.
I haven't bought primers since the spring, I won't get anymore until next year. Buy more than you need and soon you will have plenty. The easiest way for me is say I want to keep 5K in stock. I will order and extra K and put in on the shelf. I wont count that one in my inventory. when I get to my order point I do the same thing and order and extra K. Before long I have an extra 5 to 10 K safety net, and a little extra at a time is almost painless.

By the way you should do the same thing with non perishable food first.!

fredj338
11-19-2012, 09:17
That really depends on how much you shoot and your wallet.
I haven't bought primers since the spring, I won't get anymore until next year. Buy more than you need and soon you will have plenty. The easiest way for me is say I want to keep 5K in stock. I will order and extra K and put in on the shelf. I wont count that one in my inventory. when I get to my order point I do the same thing and order and extra K. Before long I have an extra 5 to 10 K safety net, and a little extra at a time is almost painless.

By the way you should do the same thing with non perishable food first.!
Yep, stocking the pantry is almost as important. I am not a prepper, but I do like to be prepared.:supergrin:

SJ 40
11-19-2012, 10:11
All this talk has me checking my levels. 30k of SPP and 6k of LPP. I feel like I need some more. Only because prices never go down.
Only because prices never go down.They never have in my lifetime.
I purchase what I can afford,if stored properly they never go bad. SJ 40

Kwesi
11-20-2012, 17:01
Stopped in at my local Bass Pro Shop and found:

CCI SPP'S @ $4.29/100
Blue Dot $22.99
Longshot $29.99

Wow!

fredj338
11-20-2012, 17:20
Stopped in at my local Bass Pro Shop and found:

CCI SPP'S @ $4.29/100
Blue Dot $22.99
Longshot $29.99

Wow!

Yeah $43/1000, I wouldn't buy anything there.:shocked:

PrecisionRifleman
11-20-2012, 19:14

I'm not a fan of Bass Pro, but I do buy my primers @ Cabela's, and last time I bought 1k of Winchester WSP I believe it cost me $34. Yesterday I picked up 1lb of Longshot, 1lb of RE15, and 200ct of Hornady 168Amax for my 308 Win. When I checked out (and got the powder stored behind counter) the gentleman that checked me out mentioned that they haven't been able to keep powder and components in stock along with factory ammo and that I was lucky they had what I was looking for (they usually have a large section of components in full stock). Since component availability may become challenge I figure I'll head back up to Cabela's and buy a few thousand CCI BR-2 for my 308Win and the same in Win WSP for my G23. That should be enough to keep me shooting for the year.

SJ 40
11-20-2012, 19:54
I'm not a fan of Bass Pro, but I do buy my primers @ Cabela's, and last time I bought 1k of Winchester WSP I believe it cost me $34. Yesterday I picked up 1lb of Longshot, 1lb of RE15, and 200ct of Hornady 168Amax for my 308 Win. When I checked out (and got the powder stored behind counter) the gentleman that checked me out mentioned that they haven't been able to keep powder and components in stock along with factory ammo and that I was lucky they had what I was looking for (they usually have a large section of components in full stock). Since component availability may become challenge I figure I'll head back up to Cabela's and buy a few thousand CCI BR-2 for my 308Win and the same in Win WSP for my G23. That should be enough to keep me shooting for the year.That price on the primers wasn't bad at todays prices. Made me thankful I bought the 20 K of BR-2's I did back in 2005 at 18.00 a K. What you pay today will not come down in price over time,get them while you can. SJ 40

Kwesi
11-20-2012, 20:30

Let's not forget the 8.25% sales tax. It doesn't take much to erase the hazmat & shipping.

fredj338
11-20-2012, 22:41
^^^Same Here^^^
We are at 7.75%, soon to be 8%. That pays the shipping cost. Best local price for primers is $36/K, so I don't need to order much to offset HM fees. At 10 units, that is $28 vs $100 for the same amount of primers. Powder is diff to get in 4# or 8# jugs too, so they get youfor qutie a bit buying single 1# cans. Even if it were a $0 sum diff, I would rather order out of state than give my corrupt, worthless govt a dime in add'l. taxe money. It all goes in the pockets of the govt parasites that work here.

mingaa
11-20-2012, 22:57
I have much better luck with availability and price at LGS that focus on reloading here in StL MO than on the net. Prices on primers are stable, powder too, bullets up a bit, probably from metals prices - that has only just happened. My Hornady / Montana Gold box is in good shape - so far...

ImpeachObama
11-21-2012, 19:31
Just bought a bunch of Tula lead-free spp from Grafs today. I hope they work well. I scoured the web looking for feedback and reviews.