Want a G19, probably Gen4 - are they okay now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want a G19, probably Gen4 - are they okay now?

Battler
11-18-2012, 13:10
I've read of an ejection problem that plauges G19s immediately or low round count where the case doesn't clear the slide but bounces around (ending in jam or "bullet to face").

I had heard various claims of this being the ejector, or the extractor, or replacement of either to be the clue.

I also heard that the problem was present on new-manufacture Gen3s too.

What is a good way to get a good running G19? If certain parts are suspect, what can I inspect to check that the problem has been resolved on a gun in the store? Should I go Gen3, or in Gen4 safe now?

Thanks. . .

mhiggi02
11-18-2012, 13:14
Just picked up a used gen 3 G19 today at the gun show. I didn't want to mess with the gen 4, I know the gen 3's are bulletproof. Good luck.

jtrudel31
11-18-2012, 13:21
Just picked up a used gen 3 G19 today at the gun show. I didn't want to mess with the gen 4, I know the gen 3's are bulletproof. Good luck.

lol.GEN3's sir are not bulletproof,dont claim to know that they are either. They are having same issues as the gen 4. Don't believe me just do a google search or search this website. Be educated on the matter before you start handing out advise to someone who is about to spend alot of hard earned cash.

jtrudel31
11-18-2012, 13:24
I've read of an ejection problem that plauges G19s immediately or low round count where the case doesn't clear the slide but bounces around (ending in jam or "bullet to face").

I had heard various claims of this being the ejector, or the extractor, or replacement of either to be the clue.

What is a good way to get a good running G19? If certain parts are suspect, what can I inspect to check that the problem has been resolved on a gun in the store? Should I go Gen3, or in Gen4 safe now?

Thanks. . .

Its a roll of the dice with both, as far as the erratic ejection is concerned. I'm sure they will both be reliable though.

F106 Fan
11-18-2012, 13:35
I don't know how you could possibly decide when the Gen 4s or late model Gen 3s have been corrected at the factory. There is, presumably, only a very small percentage that have a problem and it could be years before it was well established that there are no problems. A lot of people deny that there is even a problem today!

If you really want certainty, get something made back around 2006. There is a question as to when the problems first started up and many believe the date is in 2008 for Gen 3s and 2010 for the Gen 4s (their introduction was at the 2010 Shot Show). I have no idea what the dates might be but it seems safe to go back to 2006 or before.

There is a possibility that Gen 4s can be corrected with the Apex extractor and a lot of other twiddling around with parts. There is no Apex extractor for Gen 3s (yet). Further, the extractor doesn't cover all models. It's for the 9mm guns which seem to be the most problematic and the most numerous.

I bought a late model Gen 3 G21SF and it was fine for several hundred rounds. This past week it started with the BTF (BRASS to forhead, not BULLET). I absolutely will NOT buy another Glock even though I would really like a G36 for CC. I would also like a G34 for IDPA. Although Gen 4s might be able to be fixed, they can't be sold in California so I am pretty much stuck with Gen 3s for which there is no current solution.

If I wanted a 9mm, I would buy a Springfield Armory XD9. In fact, I have one and it shoots very well. No problems of any kind with jacketed bullets. There is one niggling problem: The Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) gets jammed up with gunk when I shoot lead bullets. Between the powder and the lube, the little indicator jams upward and continuously indicates a loaded chamber. I don't shoot a lot of lead bullets in this gun so it's no big deal.

Richard

dhgeyer
11-18-2012, 14:27
I can only tell you about my own experience, although I have been following the relevant threads on this forum, and I think I have not been unique.

I bought an early production G19 Gen4 something over a year ago. It was a jamamatic. I could not get that gun to run, even with Speer Gold Dots. I finally gave up and traded it in for a S&W M&P Full Size 9mm. That gun was sadly lacking in the accuracy department, although it was reliable.

I really wanted a G19 Gen4 that worked. So I threw the dice and bought a current production one a few months ago. That gun has never jammed with any ammunition. I left it stock for a few hundred rounds. I was getting the odd brass to face (BTF). So, I started tweaking. The Lone Wolf Distributers extractor didn't help, but didn't make anything worse. The gun now has a Glock non-dipped extractor from Glockparts.com, a White Sound Defense 20% extra power extractor depressor plunger spring, (EDPS) and a homemade extractor depressor plunger (EDP) and spring loaded bearing (SLB). This combination works perfectly.

Other options are an Apex extractor which comes with its own extra power EDPS. The HRED setup from White Sound Defense has also cured a lot of problem guns.

Bottom line is, if you buy a current production G19 Gen4 you probably will not have problems out of the box. Some owners have had BTF after a few hundred to a couple of thousand rounds. Most have not. Out and out jams are very rare on the new production guns. Even if you get a lot of BTF, if you are willing to buy a few aftermarket parts and play around with it a bit, you will almost certainly get a good running gun.

You want the very latest production you can get. You want a non-dipped extractor. Search Google Images. It's easy to tell the difference once you know what you're looking for. You want the 30274 ejector. They will have to fieldstrip the pistol so you can look at the ejector to see if it is marked with that number. You want the 0-4-2 recoil spring assembly (RSA). This is marked on the metal disk at the back of the RSA.

There is a better than even chance that you will have no trouble with a new production Gen4 G19, and if you do, it is almost certainly fixable with parts that are readily available.

As for other brands, there is a roll of the dice with those as well. Check out the forums for any brand you are interested in, and you will find recent QC lapses with those. I think the G19 Gen4 is as good a bet as any.

I would stay away from the current production Gen3 Glocks. They don't seem to have the bugs as well ironed out with those.

SJ 40
11-18-2012, 14:35
I don't know how you could possibly decide when the Gen 4s or late model Gen 3s have been corrected at the factory. There is, presumably, only a very small percentage that have a problem and it could be years before it was well established that there are no problems. A lot of people deny that there is even a problem today!

If you really want certainty, get something made back around 2006. There is a question as to when the problems first started up and many believe the date is in 2008 for Gen 3s and 2010 for the Gen 4s (their introduction was at the 2010 Shot Show). I have no idea what the dates might be but it seems safe to go back to 2006 or before.

There is a possibility that Gen 4s can be corrected with the Apex extractor and a lot of other twiddling around with parts. There is no Apex extractor for Gen 3s (yet). Further, the extractor doesn't cover all models. It's for the 9mm guns which seem to be the most problematic and the most numerous.

I bought a late model Gen 3 G21SF and it was fine for several hundred rounds. This past week it started with the BTF (BRASS to forhead, not BULLET). I absolutely will NOT buy another Glock even though I would really like a G36 for CC. I would also like a G34 for IDPA. Although Gen 4s might be able to be fixed, they can't be sold in California so I am pretty much stuck with Gen 3s for which there is no current solution.

If I wanted a 9mm, I would buy a Springfield Armory XD9. In fact, I have one and it shoots very well. No problems of any kind with jacketed bullets. There is one niggling problem: The Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) gets jammed up with gunk when I shoot lead bullets. Between the powder and the lube, the little indicator jams upward and continuously indicates a loaded chamber. I don't shoot a lot of lead bullets in this gun so it's no big deal.

RichardAs Richard said,you want a Glock that functions,shop around and find a vintage Glock in good condition,
They are out there!

I know as far as I'm concerned I am not interested in any Glock product produced after 12/06.
I have four Glocks prior to that date,all four function with what was once known as Glock Perfection. SJ 40

Jack23
11-18-2012, 14:48
As Richard said,you want a Glock that functions,shop around and find a vintage Glock in good condition,
They are out there!

I know as far as I'm concerned I am not interested in any Glock product produced after 12/06.
I have four Glocks prior to that date,all four function with what was once known as Glock Perfection. SJ 40

Yes sir! You and I are in exactly the same boat. My latest Glock purchase was my Glock 36 purchased on 11/18/06. My 4 babies have been the very soul of Glock Perfection for over 22K rounds between them. I'm happy with that and I plan to "let it ride". :wavey:

jtrudel31
11-18-2012, 23:33
If you can get your hands on a gen 2 in good condition that would also be an option. I just picked up a gen2 with approx 500 rnds through it. I had more peace of mind doing that than hunting for one of the good gen 3's.

Meathead9
11-18-2012, 23:44
I have 700rds through my GEN 4 G19, and so far so good. Ejection has been strong @ 3:00-4:00. The breaking point seems to be around 1000rds according to the guys with problems, so I'll know soon enough. My GEN 4 G17 is problem free through about 6k, so I'm guessing this one will be fine. I have a GEN 4 G34 on the way, if that tells you how worried I am about erratic ejection.

clarkz71
11-19-2012, 04:04
There is a possibility that Gen 4s can be corrected with the Apex extractor and a lot of other twiddling around with parts. extract There is no Apex or for Gen 3s (yet). Further, the extractor doesn't cover all models. It's for the 9mm guns which seem to be the most problematic and the most numerous.

Richard

You're mistaken, Apex gen 3 extractors are already tested
and in production. Release date is 11/20 (tomorrow)

Randy is now working on the .40 extractor.

PAGunner
11-19-2012, 04:55
Buy a 19 and Apex extractor and you're gtg.

jdw174
11-19-2012, 06:57
Bought a new Gen 4 19 last week. Got to range once, fired 80 rounds of Fed Champion loads. No FTF or FTE problems. Had one casing bounce off the bill of my cap, the rest all popped out at 3-4 o'clock. Trigger felt gritty and was a bit on the stiff side, but I'll take care of that. The worst thing was the stock Glock sights. I'll be changing those out ASAP.

MacChiroCtr
11-19-2012, 09:47
I picked up a Gen 4 19 over a year ago. I've put close to 2,000 rounds through it so far... I've had ONE round not eject properly. No complaints... at all.

(My target rounds are usually WWB.)

AquaHull
11-19-2012, 09:54
My G*B XXX serial G19 works fine and is a 2005-6 vintage.

Battler
11-19-2012, 10:09
FWIW the Apex extractor (on their site) is currently out of stock - anyone know if/where/when they'd be available? (Interested in having the option in the worst case).

LawScholar
11-19-2012, 10:12
Even knowing the issues, at some point I'm going to roll the dice. I've never shot a that felt as perfectly natural to me as the G19 G4.

Battler
11-19-2012, 10:14
It's obnoxious that none of the other decent 9mm designs come quite in the same size as a G19 - compact enough for carry; but large enough for full grip and skill development/extended full-skill shooting.

mhiggi02
11-19-2012, 10:21
lol.GEN3's sir are not bulletproof,dont claim to know that they are either. They are having same issues as the gen 4. Don't believe me just do a google search or search this website. Be educated on the matter before you start handing out advise to someone who is about to spend alot of hard earned cash.

LOL back atcha. This is a public forum, I shared my opinion and personal experience. If the OP wanted data backed research then he came to the wrong place.

I'll be sure to run my future posts by you for your approval. :rofl:

D4RWlN
11-19-2012, 21:02
It's obnoxious that none of the other decent 9mm designs come quite in the same size as a G19 - compact enough for carry; but large enough for full grip and skill development/extended full-skill shooting.

The HK p2000 w/ flat mag plate is extremely close. I'm sure there are others

INEEDMILK
11-19-2012, 21:13
LOL back atcha. This is a public forum, I shared my opinion and personal experience. If the OP wanted data backed research then he came to the wrong place.

hes right, and youre wrong

dont give advice full of bad information

if youre unsure about your answer, either preface your post with "i'm not positive, but i think...." or just don't answer at all.

gen3 glocks are having just as many problems, if not more problems, than gen4 glocks

greenlion
11-19-2012, 22:41

Be educated on how to spell the word advice.

Sorry, that is one of my pet peeves

I'm sure some people are unaware that even new "Gen3" guns were changed when the Gen4 production began. I own 2 of the Gen3 brass-to-the-face machines I bought while trying to avoid the Gen4 problems.

bunk22
11-19-2012, 22:41
I can only speak to my Gen 4 G17 and 19. My G17 is over 1000 rounds and the G19 over 1500, no failures of any kind though some BTF, it's not enough to be concerned about. My Gen 3 G17/19 both had weak and erratic ejection, with the G19 having some failures. The Gen 3 G17, though never having a failure, had the most bizarre ejection pattern, to the left, vertical, back, etc. I had one round eject and land vertically on top of the gun. I've had none of that with my Gen 4's.

F106 Fan
11-19-2012, 23:50
You're mistaken, Apex gen 3 extractors are already tested
and in production. Release date is 11/20 (tomorrow)

Randy is now working on the .40 extractor.

Great news!

I was at their site a couple of days ago and there was nothing available.

Still, I doubt that the new extractors will help me. It seems that they are focusing on the bigger segment, 9mm guns. I'll keep checking back but I need an extractor for a G21SF.

Richard

jtrudel31
11-20-2012, 01:18

Great Idea as I see you need to be educated.He did'nt come to the wrong place, he just had a donkey chime in with BS. So I thought he should know the facts. By the way there is plenty of data on this forum but i guess you wouldn't know .

TK-421
11-20-2012, 01:23

Oooh, that sounds like a nasty condition. You might want to get that checked out, it can't be common. I just hope it's not contagious. :rofl:

mhiggi02
11-20-2012, 06:11
hes right, and youre wrong

Sounds like something one of my kids would have said when they were 6 or 7. I was waiting for the "nana nana boo boo". :tongueout:

danNiB-X
11-20-2012, 06:33
I picked up a Gen 4 Dark earth G19 two weeks ago, it is flawless...don't be scared.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Bill Lumberg
11-20-2012, 07:46
Were and are just fine. I've read of an ejection problem that plauges G19s immediately or low round count where the case doesn't clear the slide but bounces around (ending in jam or "bullet to face").

Thanks. . .

NCWalrus
11-20-2012, 07:54
In my opinion fwiw I have a gen3 that was made in 2012 and have had some erratic ejection as well (a couple shells towards my face) but feel a lot gets blown out of proportion on the Internet.

I personally wouldn't hold it as a deterrent for purchase

cfr
11-20-2012, 10:49
Ive read here that 3rd gens with serial numbers <= L% don't have issues. It's only what Ive read, so don't shoot the messenger. :wavey:

JBarbaresi
11-20-2012, 13:24
i bought a gen4 g19 last friday with test fire date of 11/9/12. shot 250 rounds through it over the weekend and didn't have any issues other than the unusually high POI with my 147gr loads i was shooting. wish i could blame that on the gun and not myself.

now that i think about it.... don't buy a gen4 because they shoot too high! there, now i'll start a new internet rumor :tongueout:

cfr
11-20-2012, 13:48
Ive read here that 3rd gens with serial numbers <= L% don't have issues. It's only what Ive read, so don't shoot the messenger. :wavey:

Now Im curious -- Has anyone heard of a 3rd Gen with serial number <= L% thats had BTF?

JBarbaresi
11-20-2012, 14:01
Now Im curious -- Has anyone heard of a 3rd Gen with serial number <= L% thats had BTF?

i had an NVB g19 that was made in aug/sep 2009 which was well before any of the ejection issues started getting reported. i would assume L prefixes were at least a year or 2 before that.

TexasPOff
11-21-2012, 23:35
I have a recently acquired gen 4 19 production date in May 12 and haven't had any issue with it so far. TXPO

Dcrosle1
11-18-2014, 04:04
My g19 gen4 had unacceptable ejection problems (had updated RSA & ejector). Literally had brass hitting me hard in the forehead or safety glasses a few times each mag. It took two trips back to Glock, along with some letters, but they replaced it with one that works perfectly. I also got 3 extra mags with each trip :D

Larry V
11-18-2014, 06:08
My Gen 4 has been Flawless when I shot it. Over 800 rounds through it. , not 1 failure. On the other hand when one of my good friends shoots it he gets stovepipes like crazy. He has obvious problems with the proper grip

PattonT
11-18-2014, 08:17

Not many reports but it was brought up in the Glock community in the mid to late 90's about some BTF. I believe that it was mostly 19's (2nd gen too). It went away and came back full-bore with those made after 2010.

Personally I have had a gen 4 26 give the occasional BTF. I had a gen4 19 perfect for about 350 rounds and my 2014 gen 3 19 has only shown some weak ejection through about 200 rounds.

MooMooBoo
11-18-2014, 08:18
My this is a case of someone not taking things read on the Internet with a grain of salt. If Glocks were that bad, LE would not be equipped with them

Walk Soft
11-18-2014, 08:26
I have a Gen 4 26 that when new would throw a BTF about one out of 100 shots. I have a gen 4 17 that when new would throw about 2 or 3 BTF out of 100. It was never an issue for me, but I had a friend who became a Glock armored and wanted to exercise his powers and ordered me two 20874(IIRC) ejectors. It cured both guns completely. Both were early models, first available. My Gen 4 17 now has 3700 rounds and my gen 4 26 has over 2000 rounds. Never a failure from either. I have a Gen 2 and Gen 3 19. The Gen 4 G 19 is my missing link. So I'm curious to see responses from owners too.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

wild_weasel
11-18-2014, 08:26
As long as you do not have to use 10 round magazines you are good to go. If you are in a 10 round magazine state buy a G17 or G26 which do not have feeding issues with 10 round magazines.

picker
11-18-2014, 08:37
Buy a 19 and Apex extractor and you're gtg.

It's hard to believe if Glock has a problem with their current production 19's and the fix is that simple they don't do it ?
What am I missing here ?
Best/joe

DocWills
11-18-2014, 08:40
you guys kill me. Ive got a gen4 19, no issues. What always happens is a jillion guys with many issues blame the gun. My favorite is, "I got this brand new gun, it wont shoot straight or function correctly. I haven't shot it but it wont run ammo hand cycled"

Then" Im shooting it mugging for the camera while my friend takes pictures. Im all gangstered up on it and the brass hits me or my hot girlfriend in a tank top and thong. when I hold it one handed sort of upside down."

Just once id like someone to say "I don't shoot much, my gun seems to not function correctly,is there something I might be doing wrong?"

picker
11-18-2014, 08:46
I got a new Gen 4 and I am a green horn Reloader that little 19 has cycled that junky reloads of mine and every thing else I've fed it, empty brass to the right every time but, less than a hundred rounds fired through it to date.
Best/joe

TC111
11-18-2014, 09:17

Thanks. . .

I've not seen or heard anything that would ever keep me from getting another Glock 19 Gen 4.

TC111
NRA Life Member

LA Trapper
11-18-2014, 10:44
I have had my Gen 4 G19 for around 7 months. It was test shot in the Fall of 2013. No malfunctions, none, in over 1400 rounds. It has eaten everything I have fed it. Different rounds, clean it, don't clean it, it doesn't matter. I have put in spent rounds for tap rack drills and tried to make it malfunction. Never happens.

Don't get me wrong, I clean it regularly after shooting, I was testing reliability. I carry my G19 with confidence. They may have had issues when first released and the stigma is still is hanging out there, but I think it is corrected.

t1tan
11-18-2014, 11:32
My this is a case of someone not taking things read on the Internet with a grain of salt. If Glocks were that bad, LE would not be equipped with them

Terrible reasoning

amorican88
11-18-2014, 11:35
I have a Gen4 19 that was made in early 2011. It came with the 0-4 spring and the ejector with the 336 stamp. It had stove pipe and BTF issues.

Called Glock and they sent me the 0-4-3 spring that was said to help. Still had stove pipe issues.

Glock then came with the new ejector stamped 30274, I believe. After ordering the part from Midway and installing, the pistol has been 100% reliable.

I think new production Gen 4s are every bit as reliable as any other generation Glock has produced.

My .02

TC111
11-18-2014, 13:13
And, for what it's worth, if the Grand Jury in Ferguson had just delivered a decision not to indict Officer Wilson, and I were forced to be there with just one handgun tonight, I'd feel comfortable with my own Glock 19 Gen4 (or, for that matter, with any "brand-spanking-new" and "right-out-the-box" Glock 19 Gen4...but I'd naturally want to pick up as many 30+ round magazines, and as much 9mm ammo as possible, in the meantime.)

TC111
NRA Life Member

VoodooMountain
11-18-2014, 13:17
My gen 4 was made in May of 2013 and I had to file on the extractor to keep brass from ejecting into my face. Other than that, it has been flawless and quite accurate.

MooMooBoo
11-18-2014, 14:16
Terrible reasoning

Yes an even better is to listen to random people on the Internet complain about glocks when many LE agencies use them. That's wise. What's your degree in?

Copis
11-18-2014, 15:13
pointless post on my part

FastLayne
11-18-2014, 16:45
Just picked up a G19 Gen 4 last week, test-fire date 10/15/14.

Haven't gotten to the range yet, but I hope it's ok, I'm imagining it will be.

Tacoma
11-18-2014, 17:38

Thanks. . .

Just as long as you realize that the pistol has NOT been treated to a tenifer bath! Glock steel is now no better then any other offering from any of a number of different makers, including SA and S&W. They now rust if you don't care for them and so on. They have finally fixed the erratic ejection issues, though the occasional problem pistol may still surface.

Pwhfirefighter
11-18-2014, 20:41
Just picked up a G19 Gen 4 last week, test-fire date 10/15/14.

Haven't gotten to the range yet, but I hope it's ok, I'm imagining it will be.

There should be a law against having a new gun for a week and not having shot it yet! :supergrin:

FastLayne
11-18-2014, 21:52
There should be a law against having a new gun for a week and not having shot it yet! :supergrin: Think how I feel...

Crimsontide6
11-19-2014, 18:28
At this point I would go Gen 4 over 2010 or later Gen 3 every time. Glock is not putting the latest parts to include the 30274 extractor that cures (for the most part) the BTF issues in the current production Gen 3's. I had a Gen 3 19 that had pretty bad BTF problems that I cured with aftermarket parts, but I went all gen 4's and both my 19 and 26 gen 4 have run like tops.

t1tan
11-19-2014, 19:56
Yes an even better is to listen to random people on the Internet complain about glocks when many LE agencies use them. That's wise. What's your degree in?

Did I say listening to annecdotal evidence from random internet sources was the better option?

My statement was in regards to relying on LE agencies issuing them as a basis for a personal purchase. These choices in most cases heavily rely on a financial basis, not always the best performer. Many agencies that have experienced issues with newer Glocks have pulled them from service until issues are resolved, by your reasoning we should equally discontinue personal use of Glocks because of their problems.

Like I said, your reasoning is faulty.

MooMooBoo
11-19-2014, 20:12
Not quite sure where you made the jump on my statement and discontinuing personal use. But ok. Go ahead and believe what you want.

t1tan
11-19-2014, 20:22
hy·po·thet·i·cal adjective \ˌhī-pə-ˈthe-ti-kəl\
: involving or based on a suggested idea or theory : involving or based on a hypothesis

: not real : imagined as an example

Poor reasoning and lack of reading comprehension, put actual thought into your decisions.

:wavey: