LWD 40-9 Barrel Experience and Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LWD 40-9 Barrel Experience and Question

vh20
11-18-2012, 13:43
I just got a brand new LWD conversion barrel for my Gen 3 G23. I had to wait for them to come into stock, so I assume it is of the very most-recent manufacture. I took it to the range for the first time on Thursday for a test run. I fired 100 rds. of Fed. Champion 115 gr. FMJ.

I have read that these barrels are extremely accurate, and that they usually function OK, but sometimes have a few feeding problems. However, my experience turned out to be the opposite. In 100 rds, firing in different ways (single-round, double-taps, extended rapid-fire) the gun ran absolutely 100% problem-free. However, accuracy seemed to be terrible. I mean REALLY bad. It seemed to be throwing rounds all over the place. Since I was shooting only steel targets, I don't have measured groups to compare real data. However, I could not hit my long-distance targets that I normally can hit very consistently. I could see rounds striking all-around the targets on the backstop, indicating that it wasn't a POI problem, but rather a serious loose-grouping problem. I don't think ammo was the issue, because that ammo has performed perfectly fine in other guns.

Next trip I will bring some paper targets and shoot some groups with both the factory .40 bbl and the LWD 9mm bbl to compare. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be, or a possible fix? Thanks!

flw
11-18-2012, 14:01
I have g23 Gen 4 with a Storm lake 40 to 9 barrel.

I have used the same Federal 115 gr fmj ammo as you have. You are on the right track to get some rounds on paper to verify what is going on.

The Federal Champ.ammo may fire but in my experience it does not fire with consistent power loads. That would definitely cause vary loose groups.

For me when changing barrels I also need to alter my sight picture a little. I needed to fire on paper to verify the differences between the barrels, then make any needed changes to my sight pic.

Good luck

FFR Spyder GT
11-18-2012, 16:40
I have a LW 40-9 barrel for my Gen3 G23 and after +15,000rds it's flawless.

It is also very accurate too. Probably sub 3" groups @ 25yds from a rest with quality ammo.

Shoot yours from a rest with quality ammo and see how it does.

Spyder

vh20
11-19-2012, 14:33
Thanks for the replies. Based from what I had read on their site and from reviews I've read here, I half-expected I could have some feed-problems. The last thing I expected was any accuracy issues. I'll shoot some groups on paper when I get a chance and report back.

PEC-Memphis
11-20-2012, 08:44
In my limited experience with a lone wolf 40->9 conversion barrel (in a 23) and a KKM 9mm (in a 34) the OEM barrel was actually more accurate in both cases.

The LW conversion hasn't had any problems with new ammunition, including WWB, PMC, Remington Green box. It has been much less forgiving (than the OEM) of poorly re-sized commercial reloaded ammunition.

Keep in mind that the .40 caliber firing pin is longer than the 9mm FP. Although the factory doesn't recommend the use of ANY non-OEM firing mechanism parts; the armorer school instructors say that if you are going to use a conversion barrel you shouldn't use the 40 FP in a 9mm conversion - and to use the 9mm FP. (Before someone calls BS on this one, keep in mind that this isn't something I concluded on my own - it is from Glock Professional, Inc.)

vh20
11-20-2012, 16:21
PEC - I'm having trouble following the "why" on that one. If the 9mm conversion barrel headspaces to the same point that the factory .40 bbl does (as it should if it is properly made), then why would you need a different-length firing pin? The same exact (Small Pistol) primer used in both cartridges should be sitting in the same exact place in both instances?

PattonT
11-20-2012, 16:53
The .40 firing pin is .0125" longer. I was told it was do to the brass being more flexible on the head. Whatever that means?

Barry Anderson
11-20-2012, 22:07
As others have stated, I have used a LW conversion barrel in my 23 and 27. No other changes, and no problems other than the occasional erratic ejections.

Barry Anderson
11-20-2012, 22:13
I have used a LW conversion barrel in my 23 and 27. No other changes and no problems other than the occasional erratic brass ejection.

PattonT
11-20-2012, 22:34
Yes, 99% of the time the barrel is all you need. I would venture to say the longer firing pin on the models other than the 9's is only because "some" or at one time a batch of brass needed a longer firing pin.

PEC-Memphis
11-21-2012, 07:55
....If the 9mm conversion barrel headspaces to the same point that the factory .40 bbl does (as it should if it is properly made), ....

I'm not sure that this is true - I believe that both the .40 and the 9mm headspace on the mouth of the case.

PattonT
11-21-2012, 09:22
I'm not sure that this is true - I believe that both the .40 and the 9mm headspace on the mouth of the case.
Regardless wouldn't the rim be behind the extractor?

PEC-Memphis
11-21-2012, 16:55
Regardless wouldn't the rim be behind the extractor hook?

Yes - hopefully - but that's not what retains the case for the impact of the FP. A chambered cartridge will fire without an extractor, or without the extractor over the rim of the case - as in the instance of a broken extractor hook or fouled extractor hook.