Second best SPP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Second best SPP?

breacher1
11-18-2012, 14:32
Had a couple light primer strikes with my G35 using the Wolf competition spring kit and CCI primers last year. I quickly switched to Federal SPP and everything has been GTG.

But now that Federal SPP have pretty much vanished what should be my next choice? I did have a few hundred Remington before the CCI and they jammed up my Dillon SDB primer feed several times so I'd only use those if I had to. Or maybe it was just the Dillon getting broken in?

Favorite SPP's?

F106 Fan
11-18-2012, 14:51
You can still get Federal SPP Match at Powder Valley. Given your spring setup, you should probably order today.

Richard

Three-Five-Seven
11-18-2012, 16:17
Well, I was going to suggest Remington as my second choice, but you put the hex on that.

Personally, and vicariously, I've had several FTF with Winchester primers.

If you can't get Federal, and Remington won't run in your machine, I'm at a loss for a recommendation.

Boxerglocker
11-18-2012, 16:32
I run Federals primarily in my G34 and had experienced the same issue with the 4# striker spring. I obtained a 4.5# spring and its been 100% with CCIs for the past couple thousand rounds. You can also cut 2 or 3 coils off a stock striker spring and it will have the same effect.

breacher1
11-18-2012, 16:51
my local Sportsmans Warehouse sells SPP's by the hundred. If they have Remington in stock maybe I'll give 'em another try now that the Dillon has run trouble free for a few thousand rds.

I had never been on the PV website before and now I know why everybody raves about there stuff. the prices on powder, especially Hogdgon and Alliant, are about 25% cheaper than anywhere locally. And Tula primers are less than $20 per K!!
The hazmat fee is kinda pricey though, but if I get my hoarders license and really stock up it will be worth it. even if I gotta put a heavier striker spring back in the G35 to light those rooskie caps.

the wife ain't gonna be happy with the next CC bill

F106 Fan
11-18-2012, 17:15
The hazmat fee is kinda pricey though, but if I get my hoarders license and really stock up it will be worth it. even if I gotta put a heavier striker spring back in the G35 to light those rooskie caps.

the wife ain't gonna be happy with the next CC bill

You can probably break even by ordering as little as 2k of primers. Compare your LGS and see how it works out.

There is a tendency among the big time reloaders to buy tens of thousands of primers and multiple 8# cannisters of powder. It isn't necessary to buy that much just to overcome the HazMat fee.

Richard

shotgunred
11-19-2012, 06:08
I used wolf,federal, Winchester and cci they all work in my glocks.

Boxerglocker
11-19-2012, 07:47
I used wolf,federal, Winchester and cci they all work in my glocks.

Yes, I have never had any issues with any primer with a stock Glock trigger set-up.
Install a Wolf competition spring kit or a "Glock Triggers" kit which has Wolf springs and you'll most likely have issues.

Colorado4Wheel
11-19-2012, 08:55
I use CCI with my Wolf Spring Trigger Kit on my G34. Never any issue. I fully seat my primers on a 650. That makes a huge difference. My LnL could never get them to run. Couldn't really seat them as well. They all looked fine, all seemed under the "case head". But would get about a 1% failure. Any test batch you make be sure every single on of them is seated deep.

Boxerglocker
11-19-2012, 10:07
I use CCI with my Wolf Spring Trigger Kit on my G34. Never any issue. I fully seat my primers on a 650. That makes a huge difference. My LnL could never get them to run. Couldn't really seat them as well. They all looked fine, all seemed under the "case head". But would get about a 1% failure. Any test batch you make be sure every single on of them is seated deep.

C4W are you running the 4# or 4.5# striker spring? I called Wolf and as of late they are now shipping 4.5# and 6# springs with their kits. If you have a kit supplied by a vendor and its one of the older stock. You can call Wolf and they will send you a 4.5# spring. That's how I got mine, but even then with my self tuned trigger (2.5# pull) I still get a light strike once in a great while with CCIs.

Colorado4Wheel
11-19-2012, 10:40
Just replaced it. I have had both I would guess as it's been about 5 years of running their springs. I ordered all new springs about 3 months ago.

judgecrater
11-19-2012, 13:17
I would call Dillon and explain your priming problem. Most likely it will need cleaning your drop tube or an adjustment. All should feed ok. I too had a failure to fire in my G17 having put in slightly lighter firing pin spring so I went back to stock. Reliability is number one for me.

breacher1
11-19-2012, 22:01
the G35 with the spring kit is just for plinking and casual competition at my local club. my duty G32 has the stock striker spring. not messing with that one.

guy at the LGS today told me that Federal recently got a big government contract and that's why no Federal SPP to be found anywhere. I dunno, fact or fiction?