Gen4 G17 firing pin question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen4 G17 firing pin question

SFla27
11-18-2012, 17:12
While cleaning the slide and related parts today, I noticed something strange on the tip of the firing pin (that triangular tip on the end that goes through the breach face and impacts the primer).

It looks like on one side of the tip, a large (relatively-speaking) section of outer layer appears chipped off and reveals a secondary metal or color. This isn't just discoloration.

The pistol has around 900 rounds through it so far with zero issues.

Should I be safe and just get a new firing pin? Should I contact Glock? Should I ignore?

Thoughts?

austinjunks
11-18-2012, 17:21
Call glock they will probably just send you a new pin

Austin via o hub

lyodbraun
11-18-2012, 17:21
Just get a new stirker, there cheap and easy to replace...

SCC
11-18-2012, 21:38
Will you post pic's ?

TxGlock9
11-18-2012, 21:48

Agreed..I don't understand why people suggest calling Glock for something so small.. OP go to a glock parts website and buy a new striker.

Made in Austria
11-18-2012, 22:00
It happens on some, the same thing might happen to an new firing pin if you are thinking about replacing it. I would just leave it alone. The nickel plating is just flaking off it, revealing the copper plating underneath it. The copper plating is needed to apply the nickel plating. Nickel plating doesn't wanna stick on bare steel. Nothing serious, the nickel and copper plating is very thin and has nothing to do with the function of the gun. The plating is a corrosion protector. The flaking happens on parts which had not been properly prepared at the factory before the nickel plating was applied. SLOPPY EMPLOYEES!!

EDIT : The nickel plating wears off anyway on certain "usage" areas, like the firing pin lug, front of the striker where it hits the inner wall of the breach face, firing pin, the frame rails, and the locking block.

SFla27
11-19-2012, 09:25
It happens on some, the same thing might happen to an new firing pin if you are thinking about replacing it. I would just leave it alone. The nickel plating is just flaking off it, revealing the copper plating underneath it. The copper plating is needed to apply the nickel plating. Nickel plating doesn't wanna stick on bare steel. Nothing serious, the nickel and copper plating is very thin and has nothing to do with the function of the gun. The plating is a corrosion protector. The flaking happens on parts which had not been properly prepared at the factory before the nickel plating was applied. SLOPPY EMPLOYEES!!

EDIT : The nickel plating wears off anyway on certain "usage" areas, like the firing pin lug, front of the striker where it hits the inner wall of the breach face, firing pin, the frame rails, and the locking block.

Thank you sir. If I could rate the quality of this answer on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a resounding 10! :thumbsup:

Although I'm now not that concerned about it, I will mull over spending the $40 - $50 (with shipping) on a replacement firing pin, to have a spare if I eventually see corrosion or anything else.

Noponer
11-19-2012, 11:03

Agreed..I don't understand why people suggest calling Glock for something so small.. OP go to a glock parts website and buy a new striker.

Cheap? Where?

$59.99 at Brownell's... $41.99 at the Glockstore... $52.67 (with spring) at Lone Wolf... $39.50 +/- at Glockmeister & MidwayUSA... plus shipping.

Around 10% of the price of an entire new pistol is not cheap, I think.