Which .357sig Glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which .357sig Glock?

00Glazz
11-18-2012, 19:00
Been debating getting my hands on a .357sig for awhile. I pretty much decided on glock for this. Anyone else here use the .357sig as a carry weapon? What are your thoughts on it? Decent round? I have access to alot of different ammo because my lgs owner is a hug 357sig fan!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

michael e
11-18-2012, 19:28
I like the 32 for carry, but the 31 gets shot the most.
Rarely carry the sigs and still playing with reloading the 357sig round .

bobtheelf
11-18-2012, 19:29
Been debating getting my hands on a .357sig for awhile. I pretty much decided on glock for this. Anyone else here use the .357sig as a carry weapon? What are your thoughts on it? Decent round? I have access to alot of different ammo because my lgs owner is a hug 357sig fan!

I have my G32 on me as I type this. I like it.

00Glazz
11-18-2012, 19:33
I have heard it is a hard round to reload? Why is that exactly?

Bruce M
11-18-2012, 19:38
I like the baby Glock size best for concealing.

elijah58
11-18-2012, 19:47

The sig round is my favorite of all of my calibers, I carry my G33 with me everywhere I go. Check out some ballistics info on the round and you will be impressed with the results. As far as loading, the only thing I have seen is you can't get a carbide die set for the sig. But this is the only issue that I have.
Eli

clarkstoncz
11-18-2012, 20:52
I carried my Gen 3 G32 tonight.

Plenty of power for me with most any load.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/DOUBLE%20TAP%20357%20SIG/dt-nos.jpg
The Glock 33s carry a bit better, esp. in a fanny pack, but those look out of
place here in the fall and winter.http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/GUNS2/357%20SIG/g33-2.jpg

I have my heart and mind set on buying a Gen 4 .357 and it will probably be a
Baby Glock.

I'll just wait until the Gen 4 Glock 33s are more available later in 2013.

A Gen 4 Glock 31 would be nice as well, and only money keeps me from
eventually having all 6 Glock .357 models.

I've owned Glocks in 9mm, 40 and .45 acp, but find the .357s to be the most fun
to shoot!

Best of luck with your .357 SIG purchase.

TxGlock9
11-18-2012, 20:54
32 or 33 for me.

shooting4pizza
11-18-2012, 21:10

"I like the 32 for carry, but the 31 gets shot the most."
+1 - same here.

The 32 is a great conceal carry in a Ankle Glove or SkyOps.

shooting4pizza
11-18-2012, 21:14

"I like the 32 for carry, but the 31 gets shot the most."
+1 - same here.

The 32 is a great Conceal Carry in a Ankle Glove or SkyOps.

cowboy1964
11-18-2012, 21:15
I'd vote for the 32 if it's for carry.

sig357fan
11-18-2012, 21:17

Not necessarily harder, die selection and set up, powder and bullet selection are more critical.

A carbide sizing die can be had from Dillon but is pretty expensive. I use a 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body and then use a standard steel 357 Sig sizing die for the neck and shoulder, easily done but adds a step in the reloading prosses. Some use “One Shot” to lube the brass similar to sizing bottle neck rifle cases.

Bullet selection is critical due to the short neck of the case, truncated cone style bullets are generally used. Powders like LongShot, Blue Dot and AA 9 are used because the get the velocity and fill the case which helps prevent bullet set-back, which is a very bad thing in a high pressure round.

All in all not more difficult just needs more attention to detail.

sig357fan

M2 Carbine
11-18-2012, 21:43
Although I've had the G26 and G19 for sometime I'm not a big Glock fan.

In June I came by a new G33 for $350.
I was very impresed with the 357 SIG in the G33 so I loaded a couple thousand rounds.

Before tearing both my shoulders (horses) I shot a few hundred rounds through the gun.
Powerful and very accurate.

I have to admit that the G33/357 SIG will be one of my primary carry guns sometime late next year when my shoulders heal.

roberev
11-18-2012, 21:53
I switched from .40 cal to .357 Sig two months ago. I had been a diehard .40 fan since 1992. All of the recent articles and videos have convinced me of the benefits of this move. Working with the central Virginia LEO community, I also have heard some first-hand accounts and seen photos showing the benefits of this cartridge.

My EDC now is a 33 (actually a 27 with a barrel swap), in a Smart Carry holster. I have a 32 that I sometimes carry using a Raven Vanguard 2.

I enjoy shooting them both, but have a decided preference for the 33. With a Pierce extension on the magazine, I find it to be more controllable, for reasons I cannot explain. Maybe it's the double recoil spring.

Rob

dkf
11-18-2012, 22:06

In my experience people whom usually say it is hard to reload never reloaded it and are regurgitating what they heard from someone else at one point. The right bullet profile is key then the right die set next. Basically stay away from RCBS .357sig dies and you will be ok. I use Lee myself and reload .357sig for a little more money than 9x19.(sig takes slightly more powder) One of the first rounds I ever reloaded was .357sig.

As for which gun. I own a G32 and G33 but will be purchasing a G31 in the near future and hopefully a G24 with .357sig barrel shortly after that. I carry the G33 the most because it is just so damn handy to carry. The small size prevents the gun from getting hit on stuff while I am working. The G32 is a very good size though for both carrying and shooting, it just prints more. I bought the G33 first with the intention of buying the G32 in the near future. Kinda hard to buy just one.

AustinTx
11-18-2012, 22:23
Not necessarily harder, die selection and set up, powder and bullet selection are more critical.

A carbide sizing die can be had from Dillon but is pretty expensive. I use a 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body and then use a standard steel 357 Sig sizing die for the neck and shoulder, easily done but adds a step in the reloading prosses. Some use “One Shot” to lube the brass similar to sizing bottle neck rifle cases.

Bullet selection is critical due to the short neck of the case, truncated cone style bullets are generally used. Powders like LongShot, Blue Dot and AA 9 are used because the get the velocity and fill the case which helps prevent bullet set-back, which is a very bad thing in a high pressure round.

All in all not more difficult just needs more attention to detail.

sig357fan

Excellent explanation.

Have you tried just resizing the case body and leaving the neck as is? It would depend on your particular chamber, I think. I'm curious, as to whether the case neck is capable of holding a new bullet, without neck resizing.

dkf
11-18-2012, 22:37
You have to full length size (neck included) every time. The bullet will just push slide in the case without resizing the neck. Plus the shoulder needs bumped back.

00Glazz
11-19-2012, 00:05
Wow, Thank everyone for the quick replies! I think tomorrow I will be going down to my lgs and buying either the g32, or g33 and a couple hundred rounds of ammo to go burn! I am also really interested to start reloading this now as well! So is the general consensus is Lee dies work well for this cartridge? I have a Lee press now and dies for a .45ACP/LC and also dies for .40S&W but I havent had that much experience reloading yet. So this seems like a fun round to really get into reloading with!

Thanks again everyone, also I know from the ballistic reports I am reading that this is a pretty fast and hard hitting round. Anyone have any solid data on overpenetration for this? I will more than likely start carrying it based on the kinetic energy transfers/velocity I am seeing!

WarEagle 1
11-19-2012, 00:18
I have to say both the G31 and G32.

MikeG36
11-19-2012, 00:36
For carry I'd go 32. I have a G23 and a G32 barrel basically converting my 23 into a 32. I think the .357 Sig is a great round although it's a bit snappy. I think the larger frame of the 32 would be an advantage over the smaller sized 33.

sig357fan
11-19-2012, 03:41
Excellent explanation.

Have you tried just resizing the case body and leaving the neck as is? It would depend on your particular chamber, I think. I'm curious, as to whether the case neck is capable of holding a new bullet, without neck resizing.

proper neck/bullet tention is a must with this round due to the short neck, I always full length size my brass.

sig357fan

leeward419
11-19-2012, 03:54
My 32 is super accurate too!

MarcDW
11-19-2012, 03:57
I like my G31 best.

Reloading the .357SIG is no more difficult then any other handgun round.
As people already said, key are the right dies and bullets.
If you plan to shoot a good amount of rounds, buy the Dillon dies, you will love it.
On bullets, I have two choices:
1. Remington Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/465052/remington-bullets-9mm-355-diameter-124-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-500-bulk-packaged
2. Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) Bullets 9mm (356 Diameter) 125 Grain
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/812048/hornady-action-pistol-hap-bullets-9mm-356-diameter-125-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-1000-bulk-packaged

Of course there are by now more choices, but they are more money too.
Stay away from lead bullets. For one they have the general issues you have with lead, but also I found that they are not performing well in this caliber.

Smoker
11-19-2012, 06:39
I enjoy my 32 a lot, get your press set up right & this is no harder to load than any other round. I avoid the brand discussions, get what you like & can afford then enjoy it. It becomes an addiction!!!

johntom
11-19-2012, 06:44
Well I've never owned or even shot a 32 but I can speak highly of the 31 and 33... Pick whichever size suits you best and enjoy

00Glazz
11-19-2012, 06:50
I am heading down to the gun shop in about 2 hours! Will post here with what I pick up :) thanks guys! Gunna look into getting dies today also!

JesseA
11-19-2012, 06:55
Like my 31C, have a 33 also but I prefer the 31C.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

clarkstoncz
11-19-2012, 07:33
very cool.

I'm interested to see what Ammo comes home with you as well.

KEV

District18
11-19-2012, 07:45
Fun Round

I loved my 31 but I sold it. Bought a 24 along with a .357 barrel from Storm Lake.
I also got one for my 35. More barrel = more velocity!

dkf
11-19-2012, 08:46
Wow, Thank everyone for the quick replies! I think tomorrow I will be going down to my lgs and buying either the g32, or g33 and a couple hundred rounds of ammo to go burn! I am also really interested to start reloading this now as well! So is the general consensus is Lee dies work well for this cartridge? I have a Lee press now and dies for a .45ACP/LC and also dies for .40S&W but I havent had that much experience reloading yet. So this seems like a fun round to really get into reloading with!

The Lee die set will work fine for the .357sig, one of the better sets IMO despite the low prices. That is the set I use. They only offer the 3pc Steel Die set so you will have to lube the cases or run a .40 carbide sizer die before the steel .357sig sizer. I just lube the cases, it makes the sizing easier even when using a carbide die.

Bigpoppie50
11-19-2012, 11:53
Extremely decent round, I carry it in the fullsize S&WM&P with Crimson Trace Laser Grip but would not hesitate to carry it in a Glock32. I changed my carry load from Speer GoldDot 125grain to Federal HST 125grain.

PattonT
11-19-2012, 12:06
Something else is it can be harder to get dry medium out of bottle neck cartridges. You will hear people say that you should trim all catridges but I have found straight wall catridges stretch less than bottle neck catridges.

clarkstoncz
11-19-2012, 12:11
I've yet to see any HST out here, but know it has a legion of fans.

125 is the magic number for some .357 SIG owners.

SiberianErik
11-19-2012, 12:16
If at all possible and it is in your budget, try the FN FiveSeven out for a test drive. I know people talk crap about them, mind you 99.999% of these people have no trigger time behind one let alone owned one for a few years.

WE have the G33 and the FiveSeven and I put them in the same class somewhat, both are high pressure, very fast, penetrating rounds. However the 5.7 can easily smoke past 2K FPS albeit w/ a way lighter bullet. Again the wife and I swap them back and forth while shooting and the 5.7 is a ton more entertaining to play with. I carry mine easily in a M-TAC, the gun/ammo is super light and you have 20+1 on board, also a 30 rd mag is avail. Just a thought.

Shooting them then tossing my 1911 in the mix is funny. It feel like the round just falls out of the end of the barrel vs the 5.7 that feels like a crack of lightening just erupted.

dkf
11-19-2012, 12:58

You are not going to find it on Doubletap's site that is probably why you never saw it. There are few places selling it right now. Just bought some more.

Something else is it can be harder to get dry medium out of bottle neck cartridges. You will hear people say that you should trim all catridges but I have found straight wall catridges stretch less than bottle neck catridges.If you cannot get tumbling media out of a 9mm hole I would hate to see you try to get an accurate charge of powder in the hole. Since bottleneck pistol cartridges are so short length change is very minimal over its entire life. Brass length varies a bit from manufacturer to manufactuer but it still does not have to be trimmed. Two non issues. What is nice about the bottle neck cartridges like the .357sig and 9x25 is you do not have to worry about smaller brass like .380 and 9mm getting stuck inside the cases during cleaning.

unit1069
11-19-2012, 16:13

Here's one place that has it right now.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-357-sig-federal-le-tactical-hst-125gr-hollow-point-ammo/cName/357-sig-hollow-point

I bought a good supply of .357sig HST a few years back and have only seen it available a couple of times since. Once it sells out you can expect a long dry spell, so if you're in the market for this ammo you should get your order in ASAP.

AustinTx
11-19-2012, 17:35
You have to full length size (neck included) every time. The bullet will just push slide in the case without resizing the neck. Plus the shoulder needs bumped back.

OK, thank you. I had a .256 Winchester rifle that I reloaded for, at some past time. A .357 S&W Magnum case necked down to .25 cal. and a 60 gr. bullet. The rifle evidently had a chamber, with the shoulder a little too far forward. If I re-sized the case, all the way into the resizing die, the shoulder was set back farther than necessary and the necks would stretch excessively, which resulted in extremely short case life.

I should have expected Glock's chamber to be so oversize, the bullets would drop right through the neck. I'm not particularly wild about reloading bottleneck pistol cartridges because of their size, to begin with. I don't shoot the 357 SIG enough to bother with it.

tln1313
11-19-2012, 17:55
I have owned all three in the series, the G31, 32, and 33. Currently I own both the 31 and the 33. The 31 is my truck gun in a locked case, and my 33 I carry with Speer Gold Dots.
I have the GAP enterprises flat baseplate installed, and carry it IWB in an RM holster. Great small rig, with plenty of firepower. It needs night sights though....maybe some Big Dots... I really like the Glock's .357 SIG platform, and I have owned several others.

davsco
11-19-2012, 19:07
I had the g33 but it was just too small to manipulate the controls effectively. plus when you add the pearce grip extension like a lotta folks do, it's not too much smaller than the g32. i got a g32 gen 4 a while back and just shot an idpa match with it and it did great, zero issues. extremely happy with it, and i really like the grippiness of the gen 4 over the gen 3. this is my new carry gun, relegating my g23 to second fiddle.

Guntrainer
11-19-2012, 20:17
Since I commercially manufactured handgun ammo in another life, I approached the 357 SIG from a commercial loader's perspective. The objective was to produce properly made, high performance precision ammo that will function as well as, if not better than new ammo.

It is an intense and extremely accurate round. It is likely the most accurate round in the Glock. I have a 22, 23 and 35 with Storm Lake barrels. These are very well made, and the three of them headspace within .001". This is an extremely tight tolerance.

These sites helped make this an easy project.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/001.htm

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/357.safety.reload.htm

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar65.htm

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar66.htm

http://www.realguns.com/loads/357sig.htm

00Glazz
11-19-2012, 20:32
Sorry it took so long! Bought a g33 today! Also got some speer lawman in 125gr. Bought 300rounds. They were 18$ a box so not bad! Looking into some dies now! Thanks for all the info so far everyone!!

00Glazz
11-19-2012, 20:35
Im amazed this round isnt way more popular than it already is! Especially in glocks!

00Glazz
11-19-2012, 20:42
If at all possible and it is in your budget, try the FN FiveSeven out for a test drive. I know people talk crap about them, mind you 99.999% of these people have no trigger time behind one let alone owned one for a few years.

WE have the G33 and the FiveSeven and I put them in the same class somewhat, both are high pressure, very fast, penetrating rounds. However the 5.7 can easily smoke past 2K FPS albeit w/ a way lighter bullet. Again the wife and I swap them back and forth while shooting and the 5.7 is a ton more entertaining to play with. I carry mine easily in a M-TAC, the gun/ammo is super light and you have 20+1 on board, also a 30 rd mag is avail. Just a thought.

Shooting them then tossing my 1911 in the mix is funny. It feel like the round just falls out of the end of the barrel vs the 5.7 that feels like a crack of lightening just erupted.

I have shot the FN 5.7 a few times actually! Its a very fast and fun round! Like a little rifle round. I just have no access to ammo and all the pistols are over 1100$ here :(

dkf
11-19-2012, 20:44
I would say $18 per 50 for Lawman FMJ pretty darn good. Crap WWB FMJ goes for north of $30 most places.

You should like the G33. I would recommend trying the GAP magazine floorplates, all my G33 mags have them. One thing I have noticed about .357sig vs .40 that I like (I have barrels for both) is 9 rounds of .357sig fit in the mags easily. The same 9 rds in .40 fit but the last round is tight fit.

Enjoy.:wavey:

William Springer
11-19-2012, 21:01
use caution when reloading with .40 brass, one the overall case length will be shorter than called for, two neck tension will be reduced due to a shorter neck. you can over pressure this round easily start low on powder charges and work your way up while looking for indications of overcharging specifically split necks. you would be well advised to use .357 Sig brass only and avoid all this.

00Glazz
11-19-2012, 21:36
use caution when reloading with .40 brass, one the overall case length will be shorter than called for, two neck tension will be reduced due to a shorter neck. you can over pressure this round easily start low on powder charges and work your way up while looking for indications of overcharging specifically split necks. you would be well advised to use .357 Sig brass only and avoid all this.

Thank you for the advice! I will keep that in mind.

MarcDW
11-20-2012, 00:45
...One thing I have noticed about .357sig vs .40 that I like (I have barrels for both) is 9 rounds of .357sig fit in the mags easily. The same 9 rds in .40 fit but the last round is tight fit...
Matter a fact, I load my G31 and G22 magazines with 16 rounds even if you insert them into a closed pistol (slide forward). Never had a FTF or other problem with it.

NEVER USE .40 BRASS TO NECK DOWN TO .357SIG.
It will result in destroying your gun. When the .357 SIG came out in 1994 there were several people who tried this and some people ended up with the extractor of their P229 in their face!

clarkstoncz
11-20-2012, 13:10
ENJOY That G33 my new friend!

There is a wider variety of Defensive carry ammo out these days than say 2 years ago.

KEV
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/DOUBLE%20TAP%20357%20SIG/DT-125-range.jpg

Beanie-Bean
11-20-2012, 14:59
Congrats on the new G33! I always prefer to break in my new pistols with factory ammo, to see how they run. Then, I'm back in the garage to load my own.

As the others have said, it's not any harder or difficult to load .357SIG compared to anything else.

Here's my setup:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Reloading/1d82a30f.jpg

Here are my preferred projectiles and powder:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Reloading/005ba6ef.jpg

Here's my G31 barrel I use in my G22 for testing out new loads. Wilson case gauge and the barrel will pretty much tell you if you're off on crimp, OAL, etc. I like 1.135" for OAL, and that seems to work well with all of my .357SIG pistols. I also use a Redding G-Rx die to do a full-length resize for .357SIG, .40S&W, and 10mm. Same die, and it removes any bulges or guppy bellies in the brass.

It doesn't cost any more to load than 9x19, and I have much more fun shooting .357SIG.

Here's G33 with my favorite IWB holster: Comp-Tac MTAC

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/d9809541.jpg

Keep this one on your short list--it's a lot of fun, too!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_8702.jpg

Enjoy your new G33!

clarkstoncz
11-20-2012, 16:15
You have a nice reloading setup there.

I don't have the room here, but had a nice gun room at one time in Idaho.

Good looking G33 and high quality holster as well.

Do you own a Gen 4 G32?

What loads have you put through it?

Would you tell others to buy a Gen 4 .357 SIG?

dkf
11-20-2012, 16:25
NEVER USE .40 BRASS TO NECK DOWN TO .357SIG. It will result in destroying your gun. When the .357 SIG came out in 1994 there were several people who tried this and some people ended up with the extractor of their P229 in their face!

Doing that was popular back in the day when .357sig brass was not existent. .40 brass sized with a .357sig sizer is about .02" shorter than SAAMI minimum spec. The kicker is where the cartridge headspaces off of. SAAMI says it headspaces of the case mouth others say it has to headspace off the should or shorter sized .40 brass wouldn't work. But the extractor can hold it into place and keep it falling into the chamber. Kinda why guys have accidently shot 9mm in .40 guns without the round falling into the chamber, the extractor held. Luckily .357sig brass is relatively cheap and available so we got lucky.

Beanie-Bean
11-20-2012, 16:28
You have a nice reloading setup there.

Thank you, sir!

I don't have the room here, but had a nice gun room at one time in Idaho.

Good looking G33 and high quality holster as well.

Thanks again! I really like their products, and also carry G33 in their Paddle Holster OWB, and in Remora (#6, I believe...) at times.

Do you own a Gen 4 G32?

Yes, that's mine in the last picture. I don't shoot it much lately, with all the other stuff I shoot. I did have fun breaking it in, and that's what prompted me to go ahead and spring for the Dillon .357SIG dies. They're twice as expensive as their other/regular caliber dies, but they are worth every penny.

What loads have you put through it?

I broke it in with Speer Lawman 125 gr., American Eagle 125 gr., Hornady Custom XTP 147 gr., Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr., and finally, ran some of my own Speer 125 gr. (seen in some of the pics above) over Blue Dot, Power Pistol, and Unique. Blue Dot it still my favorite, but I've got some new AA #7 in my cabinet which I haven't loaded for .357SIG yet, and I'll be trying some of that real soon. I have some Federal HST I used with some of my SIG Sauer pistols, but haven't run any (yet...) through the G32.

Would you tell others to buy a Gen 4 .357 SIG?

Absolutely. None of this BTF junk with any of the .357SIG Glocks (including my G22 Gen4 with a G31 barrel.) They're about as boringly reliable as ever, much like the older Glocks.

By the way, there are some store demo G31 Gen4 models at one of my LGS...drop me a PM if you'd like more info on those. They have both Gen4 and Gen3 models.

clarkstoncz
11-20-2012, 16:57
The lure of the .357 SIG is far and wide.

Even trickling down to S. Africa.

A very interesting perspective from those who are paying an even higher price for
ammo, gear than us.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?24382-Any-of-you-guys-shoot-357-SIG/page2

00Glazz
11-22-2012, 04:36
Congrats on the new G33! I always prefer to break in my new pistols with factory ammo, to see how they run. Then, I'm back in the garage to load my own.

As the others have said, it's not any harder or difficult to load .357SIG compared to anything else.

Here's my setup:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Reloading/1d82a30f.jpg

Here are my preferred projectiles and powder:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Reloading/005ba6ef.jpg

Here's my G31 barrel I use in my G22 for testing out new loads. Wilson case gauge and the barrel will pretty much tell you if you're off on crimp, OAL, etc. I like 1.135" for OAL, and that seems to work well with all of my .357SIG pistols. I also use a Redding G-Rx die to do a full-length resize for .357SIG, .40S&W, and 10mm. Same die, and it removes any bulges or guppy bellies in the brass.

It doesn't cost any more to load than 9x19, and I have much more fun shooting .357SIG.

Here's G33 with my favorite IWB holster: Comp-Tac MTAC

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/d9809541.jpg

Keep this one on your short list--it's a lot of fun, too!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_8702.jpg

Enjoy your new G33!

Thank you! Also very nice Reloading setup you got there! Nice Glock too!

00Glazz
11-22-2012, 04:39
ENJOY That G33 my new friend!

There is a wider variety of Defensive carry ammo out these days than say 2 years ago.

KEV
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/DOUBLE%20TAP%20357%20SIG/DT-125-range.jpg

Thank you! May have to join the .357Sig club soon! I have noticed alot more .357sig ammo around now! Seems to be picking up popularity!:cool:

00Glazz
11-22-2012, 04:40
Sorry that I couldnt respond to everyones posts individually! I did read all of them though. Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge with me! I appreciate it!

MarcDW
11-22-2012, 04:43
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526299_3800602696504_29987961_n.jpg

All the talk about reloading and .357SIG got me going!!!

Texcowboy
11-22-2012, 06:34
I have all three sizes and carry the largest I can conceal with my wardrobe at the time.

AustinTx
11-23-2012, 21:46
Doing that was popular back in the day when .357sig brass was not existent. .40 brass sized with a .357sig sizer is about .02" shorter than SAAMI minimum spec. The kicker is where the cartridge headspaces off of. SAAMI says it headspaces of the case mouth others say it has to headspace off the should or shorter sized .40 brass wouldn't work. But the extractor can hold it into place and keep it falling into the chamber. Kinda why guys have accidently shot 9mm in .40 guns without the round falling into the chamber, the extractor held. Luckily .357sig brass is relatively cheap and available so we got lucky.

It's even more simple than that. The 40 S&W cases have thinner walls than 357 SIG cases. In the beginning, 10mm cases were shortened to make 40S&W cases. That worked until someone seated a 180 gr bullet, in the case. The 180 gr bullet went far enough, in the case, to bulge the case wall near the base. Therefore, 40S&W cases needed thinner walls and so, it came to be. Then, someone necked the 40S&W case to 9mm and the walls were too thin, to contain the higher pressure. So, the 357 SIG has thicker case walls than the 40S&W. They are probably the same as the 10mm, at the base.

I reckon you could saw off 10mm cases and re-size them to 9mm, but that's too much trouble. Like you said, 357 brass is available, now.