Garage/Basement/Work - Range/Ballistics/Load testing project [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Garage/Basement/Work - Range/Ballistics/Load testing project

DoctaGlockta
11-19-2012, 14:13
I have often wondered what it would take to make a work/garage indoor ballistics/testing facility for my reloads.

Unlike many of you I don't live on acreage outside of the city. I also have a bit of a drive to a local range - one of which doesn't let you shoot rifle and the other that doesn't let one shoot any steel cased or steel lined projectiles (and you can't keep your brass if it goes over the line).

I have a decent sized garage and a commercial building that I would use. The commercial building has an underground basement that is in disrepair and not being rented at the moment. It would be convenient to place a safe target say at 25 feet or so with a chronograph.

Any of you have a set up at home/work/garage for testing loads? From what I gather I'd have a few issues:

Noise
Ventilation for smoke/lead
Safety

I'm sure there are many more. This would be for personal use only of course.

Boxerglocker
11-19-2012, 14:51
Your main issue is the need of a sufficient backstop, 2-3 feet of sand or shredded reclaimed tires piled IN FRONT of a steel plate would be my route.

unclebob
11-19-2012, 14:54
Your main issue is the need of a sufficient backstop, 2-3 feet of sand or reclaimed tires piled behind a steel plate would be my route.

I hope you mean the tires in front of the steel plate.

cowboy1964
11-19-2012, 16:32
First question: you've verified it's legal to discharge firearms? Are you within city limits?

WiskyT
11-19-2012, 20:14
I wouldn't worry about ventilation if you're just going to chrono a few rounds here and there. A basement by definition has the entire planet Earth as a backstop, so I wouldn't worry too much about that either. You would want a bullet trap of some kind to prevent splash and to protect the wall.

snowwdog
11-19-2012, 20:38
ventilation would be only real concern, Just get an exhaust fan going down there venting out. The other problem i guess would be lead contamination down there. The walls and floors will be full of lead dust in no time. Noise of course. Guess there is more than one concern. O well sounds like fun. Id say do it!

jmorris
11-20-2012, 14:37
The shoot houses I have shot in use plywood spaced in front of ar 500 but you have to change the plywood out or splatter will get out as the plywood gets shot up.

F106 Fan
11-20-2012, 15:05
Would you need to be concerned about mitigating any environmental lead contamination?

I'm beginning to get concerned about lead dust in my garage which is released when I pour the tumbler media into my separator.

Richard