Glock 19-Gen 3 or Gen 4? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19-Gen 3 or Gen 4?

NITE SITE 53
11-19-2012, 16:07
Made up my mind to buy a new Glock 19 this week. Called the owner of my LGS and he has both gen 3 & gen 4s in stock. He said the gen 4s are made in America with the USA mark and that no one has reported any problems with the ones that he has sold. Are the gen 4s really worth spending an extra $50.00 on? Your thoughts appreciated.

PAGunner
11-19-2012, 16:19
Idk if it's worth 50 bucks more, 20 bucks for the mags, I prefer the grip Bette on the gen4. Apex is dropping gen3 extractors as well, so I think you'll be fine either way, just pick up an Apex extractor and replace the garbage OEM extractor.

I'm giving serious contemplation on buying a Gen4 19 now that the Apex extractor is out, I kinda miss my old Gen3 19.

INEEDMILK
11-19-2012, 16:20
Yes.

I would trust a recent production Gen4 over a recent production Gen3.

Also keep in mind that with that extra $50 you pay, you are getting an extra magazine, so you should probably think of a Gen4 as ~$25 more than a Gen3.

09crue
11-19-2012, 19:31
i'd say no,stick with gen 3

INEEDMILK
11-19-2012, 19:47
i'd say no,stick with gen 3

Why?

What possible advantage do you think a Gen3 has over a Gen4?

bac1023
11-20-2012, 00:48
I wouldn't a buy a new production Glock, period.

jtrudel31
11-20-2012, 01:05
Buy a Gen 2 FTW!

bruzer
11-20-2012, 01:18
Gen 4 for me. Extra mag, grip texture, larger magazine release and the grip size fits both my Wife's and my hands better.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

MikeG36
11-20-2012, 02:01
You should get whatever YOU like. If you like the Gen 4 better than the Gen 3 then go for it!

IMO you can't go wrong with either one however, if you are going to CCW with it, be advised that the rougher texture of the Gen 4 may snag or wear your clothing and or your skin if you carry IWB under a shirt.

BTW my Gen 3 G19 test fire date Nov 2011 runs flawlessly.

adamrs
11-20-2012, 02:17
I prefer this grip texture of them the three, but the mag release and larger grip option is nice on the four. I agree that you can't go wrong with either. I would not try to think so much on the slight extra money but go with the one that feels more comfortable to you!

Bruce M
11-20-2012, 06:42
Why?

I prefer the grip texture of the third generation and to me the regular size grip feels better than the bigger or smaller one of the Gen4. That said I would lean heavily toward a used G19 that is a few years old. But if I was insisting on new, I would probably get the USA made Gen4 as people seem to report lack of issues with the USA versions.

INEEDMILK
11-20-2012, 06:53
I prefer the grip texture of the third generation and to me the regular size grip feels better than the bigger or smaller one of the Gen4. That said I would lean heavily toward a used G19 that is a few years old. But if I was insisting on new, I would probably get the USA made Gen4 as people seem to report lack of issues with the USA versions.

Has Palm Beach Shooting Center gotten any US made Gen4s in at all?

LampShadeActual
11-20-2012, 07:34
I am understanding Gen3 and Gen4 use the same extractor designs. There may be no difference.

This fall, I bought a Gen4 M19, as did my daughter, her boss, and a friend of my son's. All work just fine.

The real difference has been the add on grip size capability.

My daughter has long thin fingers and thinks the M size, just like a standard old Glock, is perfect. Her boss has massively stong hands and thick fingers. He likes the bare grip, no adapter at all, because it lets his hands wrap properly. The Gen4 gives them a choice. Gen3 don't. That's why Gen4 sells so well.

Bruce M
11-20-2012, 07:42

No idea, unfortunately. It has been a while since I have been there. :crying:

Bill Lumberg
11-20-2012, 07:45
Can't go wrong with either. Made up my mind to buy a new Glock 19 this week. Called the owner of my LGS and he has both gen 3 & gen 4s in stock. He said the gen 4s are made in America with the USA mark and that no one has reported any problems with the ones that he has sold. Are the gen 4s really worth spending an extra $50.00 on? Your thoughts appreciated.

PAGunner
11-20-2012, 07:48

Palm Beach Shooting Center is a rip off, only slightly better than the jokers at Delray shooting center, those guys are really smoking some of that good ***** with their prices. Lol

NCWalrus
11-20-2012, 07:52
I have a Glock 19 with talon grips and love it man

Can't speak to the Gen4s

madAB
11-20-2012, 11:11
I prefer the grip texture on the Gen 4, but I'm not a fan of the backstrap system. For that reason I like the Gen 3 better. For the best of both worlds, try and find a Gen 3 RTF2

TTex
11-20-2012, 12:15
I would suggest a Gen 4. The problems have been both with Gen 3 and Gen 4 pistols. I like the features of the Gen 4, but whats more important really is the Gen 4 is the new production, if there is a problem they want to fix these guns first, because it's their "latest and greatest". While they continue to support Gen 3 pistols they are still working to phase them out. Any new inovations are going to start with the Gen 4's IMO.

P.S. The extra $$ gets you an extra mag.

clarkz71
11-20-2012, 12:38
Yes.

I would trust a recent production Gen4 over a recent production Gen3.

More G4's seem to have BTF then G3's. My 03/12 production
G23 is perfect.

While they continue to support Gen 3 pistols they are still working to phase them out.

Gen 4's are illegal in California, no magazine disconnect
and their not on the "list" of legal to sell .

Gen 3's will continue to be made. Google it

Roger1079
11-20-2012, 12:51
Why?

Pros for Gen 4:

Extra magazine
Dual recoil spring (on the subcompacts this has always been that way)
Adjustable backstrap
Reversible mag release

Cons for Gen 4:

Abrasive grip
Mag release is an awkward size
Horrible finish on the slide

The cons are my opinion of course. I bought a Gen4 27 a while back. Within 6 months I sold it and bought a brand new Gen3 G27. Never a malfunction from either one, just far prefer the Gen3.

jtrudel31
11-20-2012, 12:59
I think maybe some people look at the gen 3 as being more Glockish than the Gen 4. If your a purest than a gen4 may not feel like or look like what a Glock should be. The gen 4 is different enough so some people may not feel as there getting the original formula so to speak. Even though it is supposed to be an improvement from the previous generation. Only my opinion. I may be overthinking this.

TTex
11-20-2012, 13:07
Gen 4's are illegal in California, no magazine disconnect
and their not on the "list" of legal to sell .

Gen 3's will continue to be made. Google it

Magazine disconnect?

Not much California does surprises me :upeyes:, but I'm not up on their regulations.

JBarbaresi
11-20-2012, 13:17
i have a 12/5/11 test fire gen3 g19 and a 11/9/12 test fire gen4 g19. the gen3 has been perfect through several thousands of rounds and the gen4 has been perfect through the 250 rounds i shot throug it last weekend. both models were produced after the ejection/extraction issues began. both models have a similar slide finish and both models have a vickers mag release installed (hands down best aftermarket mod for glocks, especially the gen4s). either model will likely serve you well. i appreciate the SF frame and grip texture on the gen4s, otherwise i like them both equally.

i also had a gen4 g19 that was produced in aug/sep 2010 when the gen4s first came out. it never malfunctioned but had the occasional erratic ejection. that was still a good gun and i never got to try it with the new ejector that was released because i sold it when i got my latest gen3. after almost a year with only the gen3 i decided i needed another gen4.

you will probably end up with both, so just pick one or the other for now.

clarkz71
11-20-2012, 13:21
Magazine disconnect?

Not much California does surprises me :upeyes:, but I'm not up on their regulations.

Yes, very dumb "liberal" law.

Like the BG cares if the gun fires with no mag in it.

JBP55
11-20-2012, 13:26
I wouldn't a buy a new production Glock, period.

I have approximately 50,000 trouble free rounds downrange with Gen 4 Glocks. I have owned a few dozen prior to the Gen 4 and I prefer the Gen 4.

JBarbaresi
11-20-2012, 13:42
I have approximately 50,000 trouble free rounds downrange with Gen 4 Glocks. I have owned a few dozen prior to the Gen 4 and I prefer the Gen 4.

are you running any of your vanek triggers in the gen4s yet?

NITE SITE 53
11-21-2012, 20:57
Bought the Gen 4 19 today. I like the grip and it feels perfect in the hand. Also bought a couple extra hi cap mags and a Pearce grip plug.

TexasPOff
11-22-2012, 04:55
Typically I have always been in the 3rd Gen camp. I just picked up a mid 12 production 4th gen 19 and so far I am happy. It runs just like any of my other Glocks.

The two things I like about the 4th gens is the magazine release, and the trigger reach. I know 2mm isn't much but I can tell the difference, especially after my reduction work..:whistling:.

If any of my above post was hard to understand, it is hard to type while eating a plate of crow....:rofl: TXPO