finally [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : finally

mc1911
11-19-2012, 15:59
I got my first AR. It is a basic Rock River. It was between that and a Windham.

Any thoughts on these?

I wanted to stay reasonable , price wise.

mjkeat
11-19-2012, 16:07
A little backwards don't you think?

What model? What did you pay?

My personal thought is for a general purpose AR RRA is a miss. Windham is still fairly unproven.

Tim151515
11-19-2012, 16:14
my buddy loves his rra. in fact i havent really heard much bad about them(besides the fact that theyre not a colt or noveske)

WayaX
11-19-2012, 16:15
A little backwards don't you think?

This will be a growing trend because of the election. Buy first, then ask questions...:faint:

Personally, I wouldn't buy either. Dick's Sporting Goods is having a sale on Troy complete carbines at $799 which is currently the best deal out there (quite frankly insane). Colts are $1099 or cheaper at Wal-mart and other big chains. There is just no reason to comprise on anything right now.

However, you've got it now. Buy ammo, magazines, and lube. Get some instruction, and shoot it until something goes wrong.

mc1911
11-19-2012, 16:24
$800
I liked the fit and finish of it compared to the others.

It is a basic 16 " flat top carbine, 6 position stock and A2 front sight.

No Dicks within 100 miles and my son in law is still looking for one.
We have seen a lot of Windham adds lately. When buying firearms , I tend to go with my gut feeling.Sometimes it is good sometimes not.

Travclem
11-19-2012, 16:27
OP I have an RRA M4 1:7 gov't profile CL and it is my most shot 16" AR, albeit heavily upgraded from stock. I have around 11k rounds through it with few issues, no more or less than my other rifles. It is just as reliable and more accurate than my LMT rifles. They are thought of as "second tier" rifles by most of the internet but I have shot the snot out of mine and it has been nothing but great. I have taken it to several classes over the years and it has been my dedicated hog/coyote rifle for a long time. Shoot it, enjoy it, most of the nay sayers don't even own one.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/travclem/afbf2116.jpg

ithaca_deerslayer
11-19-2012, 17:58
So far I like my Rock River national match just fine. Runs good, no jams. I'm working on my shooting, but it seems capable of going below 1 MOA.

I can never live up to some hypothetical internet standard. Some people only like a Colt or a clone of a Colt. I think Rock River doesn't consider istself a mil-spec clone.

If you like their design and they run good, that should be all that is important :)

bigmoney890
11-19-2012, 18:05
My buddy has a 6.8 RRA that was 'custom' built by them. It's been 100% reliable so far, but he's selling it. I don't know if that tells you anything or not.

I think people tend to stay away from RRA because they aren't milspec. Just because something isn't milspec doesn't mean it isn't reliable, accurate, and a good deal. And just because something isn't milspec doesn't mean it's not complete junk either. I don't think RRA puts out junk, but i'm not sure if i'd be lining up to get one. But at $800, you could have gotten a lot worse. Congrats and shoot the piss out of it!

Rooster Rugburn
11-19-2012, 18:35
The important question is, what are you going to use it for. I'm sure it will be all the rifle you need.

I guess the kids are miffed you didn't seek their recommendation (:rofl::rofl:) before buying.

But if you want to know what the kids have against it, go here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

mc1911
11-19-2012, 19:04
Plinking ,range use varmint and vermin control.

And maybe self defense, if the need arises.

I am looking at maybe 1000 rounds per year.

I have another question. What are the first tier AR manufactures? Baer, Colt etc?

bigmoney890
11-19-2012, 19:21

I have another question. What are the first tier AR manufactures? Baer, Colt etc?

Noveske, Larue, LMT, LWRC, KAC, Colt, BCM and a select few others. When I think 'top tier' I don't think of Baer, but that's just because they are custom. Anything 'custom' is inherently better quality.

Matthew Courtney
11-19-2012, 19:22
Rock River Rifles tend to have better than average accuracy, so if you are really committed to marksmanship, you can really get a lot from your new AR. They are also often good choices for someone interested in varmint and small game hunting. Find an Appleseed event or NRA class to get grounded in the fundamentals of marksmanship and shoot that thing!

Matthew Courtney
11-19-2012, 19:27
Noveske, Larue, LMT, LWRC, KAC, Colt, BCM and a select few others. When I think 'top tier' I don't think of Baer, but that's just because they are custom. Anything 'custom' is inherently better quality.

There a few custom outfits that are not inherently of good quality. Wilson and Baer are good quality, but just because a custom maker buys a few glossy ads in Black Rifle Magazine doesn't mean anything.....

Also top tier are JP Enterprises, and Daniel Defense.

mjkeat
11-19-2012, 19:32
The important question is, what are you going to use it for. I'm sure it will be all the rifle you need.

I guess the kids are miffed you didn't seek their recommendation (:rofl::rofl:) before buying.

But if you want to know what the kids have against it, go here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

You would make a good psych study.

You should be good.

Some of the better producers are Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske, Larue, and a couple others.

Noveske, Larue, LMT, LWRC, KAC, Colt, BCM and a select few others. When I think 'top tier' I don't think of Baer, but that's just because they are custom. Anything 'custom' isn't inherently better quality.

Is that what you meant? When I think custom I think bubba in the garage piecing together a YHM/DPMS/zombie mess.

bigmoney890
11-19-2012, 19:39
By custom, i meant custom/precision machined. Not 'custom' built like pieced together by some goof in his garage like me.

mc1911
11-19-2012, 19:43
Thanks for the info everyone.

If something noteworthy happens , I will post the news.

The staking links are outstanding.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-19-2012, 19:56
Thanks for the info everyone.

If something noteworthy happens , I will post the news.

The staking links are outstanding.

My Rock River seems to be staked just fine.

How is yours?

WayaX
11-19-2012, 19:59
By custom, i meant custom/precision machined. Not 'custom' built like pieced together by some goof in his garage like me.

There are a lot of "custom" AR-15 makers out there that produce crap out of a shop. These are mostly small groups trying to capitalize on the new market boom.

Cole125
11-19-2012, 22:11
RRA makes quality rifles, the RRA upper I own has been top notch in every regard.

You did good, enjoy the rifle. :cool:

Rooster Rugburn
11-20-2012, 04:52
You would make a good psych study.

After 10 minutes with me, my therapist committed suicide.

Walt_NC
11-20-2012, 23:25

Im going to respectfully disagree. Noveske, LWRC and Larue are definitely top tier - although I can't stand Noveskes insistence on using the MUR. For precision rigs, the Stoner SR25 is also top tier though I think Larue might have one-upped them with the features of the more modern OBR. Regardless, the KAC M110 sucks in comparison and I think their battle rifles get by on name recognition - theyre as good as but no better than Colt. LMT, BCM, DD and Colt are simply the standard. They work and work well but there is nothing really special or unique about them. Everything else is a 'good enough for what I need' compromise.

arushus
11-20-2012, 23:53

There a few custom outfits that are not inherently of good quality. Wilson and Baer are good quality, but just because a custom maker buys a few glossy ads in Black Rifle Magazine doesn't mean anything.....

Also top tier are JP Enterprises, and Daniel Defense.

Come on guys, can't we ever throw Spike's Tactical a bone? Theyre mil-spec, and there are independent certifications to prove it. I just think when talking about mil-spec stuff they should be mentioned in there with LMT, BCM, DD, KAC, LWRC, Colt, and Noveske. Im not saying theyre the best by any means, and Im not trying to start a ST vs whoever argument, I just never see these guys mentioned, that's all...

faawrenchbndr
11-21-2012, 04:42
RRA is a solid basic rifle........you did fine.

faawrenchbndr
11-21-2012, 04:45
Come on guys, can't we ever throw Spike's Tactical a bone? Theyre mil-spec, and there are independent certifications to prove it.......

I don't deal with post election price gougers.
Not to mention the two years of lies about the specs certifications.
Spikes lost my trust four years ago,........can not, WILL NOT, recommend them.

mc1911
11-21-2012, 10:34
It was a gusty 25 mph windy day at the range. I shot 100 rds through it with an old tasco red dot sight
I used wolf, some federal and some of my contender loads.
Functioning was perfect, using the mixed ammo resulted in a 2-2.5" group at 50 yards offhand while trying to dope the wind.

I know it is not a.375 " benched group.

A good start for me.

mjkeat
11-21-2012, 10:58
Good to hear it's working for you.

Walt_NC
11-21-2012, 14:38
It was a gusty 25 mph windy day at the range. I shot 100 rds through it with an old tasco red dot sight
I used wolf, some federal and some of my contender loads.
Functioning was perfect, using the mixed ammo resulted in a 2-2.5" group at 50 yards offhand while trying to dope the wind.

I know it is not a.375 " benched group.

A good start for me.

That's world-class shooting from a standing position with a cheap 5 MOA Tasco red dot. I wouldn't be too worried about making wind calls at 50 yds, though. Even if it was an honest full-value 25 mph wind, it would be pushing your bullets less than 0.3" at that range.

Good luck with the new rifle and good shooting.

arushus
11-21-2012, 16:22
Double post

arushus
11-21-2012, 16:29
I don't deal with post election price gougers.
Not to mention the two years of lies about the specs certifications.
Spikes lost my trust four years ago,........can not, WILL NOT, recommend them.

Fair enough, I asked, and you told. You dont berate them constantly, and you have your reasons for not recommending them, I respect that. You dont know me from adam, but yours, among a select few others, is an opinion I value, respect, and when you present statements as facts, I take you at your word. Thanks for the concise, unoffending answer.
Weren't Colt prices around 1500 for a 6920 a few years ago? I honestly dont know because I wasnt into AR's up until a few months ago.
In all honesty, if I saw an opportunity to make more money, then I would take it. And any person who wouldnt do the same isnt taking their bottom line seriously. And if I didnt sell a single thing, then I would take that as a clear message that I should lower my prices. Ive just never had a problem with businesses raising prices in response to increased demand, basic economics and good business sense dictate as much. Now as I said before, I wasnt paying any attention to the AR market back then, so I cant speak intelligently about it. Im merely making the point that businesses should raise prices when demand goes up, and should take the opportunity to increase profit when the opportunity presents itself.

Matthew Courtney
11-21-2012, 16:40
Come on guys, can't we ever throw Spike's Tactical a bone? Theyre mil-spec, and there are independent certifications to prove it. I just think when talking about mil-spec stuff they should be mentioned in there with LMT, BCM, DD, KAC, LWRC, Colt, and Noveske. Im not saying theyre the best by any means, and Im not trying to start a ST vs whoever argument, I just never see these guys mentioned, that's all...

I meant no disrespect to Spikes nor anyone not mentioned. I simply have no recollection of ever having seen a Spikes rifle, so I cannot offer an informed opinion. Until 2 months ago, I had never seen a LWRC. There are not many ffl's in SW Louisiana who will recieve firearms for people, so the guys who do mostly internet business don't sell many here. The only PSA I have ever seen is mine. I have never seen a KAC or a Noveske.

mc1911
11-21-2012, 19:56
Thanks Walt. The wind might have pushed me more than the bullet. A neat thing was the dot on the tasco matched the red bullseye on target.

arushus
11-21-2012, 20:43
I meant no disrespect to Spikes nor anyone not mentioned. I simply have no recollection of ever having seen a Spikes rifle, so I cannot offer an informed opinion. Until 2 months ago, I had never seen a LWRC. There are not many ffl's in SW Louisiana who will recieve firearms for people, so the guys who do mostly internet business don't sell many here. The only PSA I have ever seen is mine. I have never seen a KAC or a Noveske.

Thanks matt, your opinion is one of those few, along with faa's that I respect and take the statements you make as factual. I know you meant no disrespect, and I didnt mean to come off as though I had. I just kind of let the build-up of never seeing a certain brand mentioned spill out in that one post, and I apologize for sounding like a schoolboy who just had his favorite toy stomped on.

vtducrider
11-21-2012, 21:34
Why is there not much love for RRA??? I have shot and shot and shot mine... coming up on 9000 rounds range. Never a problem with any brass ammo. Steel casing ammo jammed up once, pretty badly. It required a complete dis-assembly to remove the stuck spent casing. But I'd suspect it will probably happen with any AR shooting steel casing ammo.

vtducrider
11-21-2012, 21:41
I got an LWRC AR a little while ago, so it's getting most of the range time. I am only shooting brass ammo in AR's now, so the LWRC has never had any, and I do mean any issue. Goes bang every time! I ran into a military guy at the LGS, who said the LWRC's didn't do well in sand. Maybe just his opinion, or there is some facts I don't know. In any case, I trust my LWRC, and I don't plan to bring it to the desert with me. lol...

WoodenPlank
11-21-2012, 21:53
Weren't Colt prices around 1500 for a 6920 a few years ago? I honestly dont know becau...(SNIP)

They were, but mostly due to two factors. A) Colt was still doing separate product lines for "Law Enforcement" and civilians, and the LE marked ones commanded a premium on the open market. B) AR prices were up across the board after the 08 election. At one point, COlt 6920s were going for close to 2 grand.

Why is there not much love for RRA??? I have shot and shot and shot mine... coming up on 9000 rounds range. Never a problem with any brass ammo. Steel casing ammo jammed up once, pretty badly. It required a complete dis-assembly to remove the stuck spent casing. But I'd suspect it will probably happen with any AR shooting steel casing ammo.

All of the Rock River components I've owned (BCG, complete upper, match trigger) have been solid. However, there are typically better deals for the money available, and some RRA components are a bit goofy. That half-railed solid aluminum free-float tube on some of their "Operator" models really boggles me.