Idiot marks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Idiot marks

SilverBullet_83
11-19-2012, 17:35
Ok. I have never owned a 1911. Since I have been reading these forums I am seeing the term more and more. I believe I know the meaning, but just want to be sure. So, can you guys/girls fill me in?

happy seal
11-19-2012, 17:38
I gather it's a term for scratches.

faawrenchbndr
11-19-2012, 17:39
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/3e915fe56e71cda07ee94f6fbe7fbbf1.jpg

deadite
11-19-2012, 17:40
A scratch from inserting the slide release incorrectly. Not really a big deal, had zero effect for function, but isn't very pretty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

R0CKETMAN
11-19-2012, 18:21
Sold this one today because I finally got tired of looking at it. Bought on GB and seller didn't reveal. New buyer didn't care.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/29b370bd750f25801a4de27cf4eb3fff.jpg

deadite
11-19-2012, 18:48
I have 4 1911s and 2 of them have the scratch. Neither of which were perpetrated by me.

Batesmotel
11-19-2012, 19:02
I find it an offensive term. And I am hard to offend.

Sort of like calling me a moron because I got dirt on my jeep.

If someone wants a safe queen, fine. But where do they think that gives them the right to insult me because my gun has a scratch on it. Maybe my gun has seen harder use than theirs has. Maybe mine was not always reassembled on a nice workbench.

Ruggles
11-19-2012, 20:33

If someone wants a safe queen, fine. But where do they think that gives them the right to insult me because my gun has a scratch on it. Maybe my gun has seen harder use than theirs has. Maybe mine was not always reassembled on a nice workbench.

I think it is because it really is not something that can happen when a 1911 is properly put back together regardless of where that might be. The slide stop is inserted in a straight in motion at reassembly, never in upward and then in motion that can cause the mark. Nothing to take offense at, I have idiot marks on my head from smashing it into a shelf at work today, shelf has been there longer than I have and I should have known. :rofl:

It really has zero effect on the gun as posted.

fnfalman
11-19-2012, 20:46

That's right. I remembered something about how you have to disassemble your pistol in the dark hands full of blood & mud.

Damn, was Fallujah that tough?

SilverBullet_83
11-20-2012, 04:30
Glad I asked. Thanks

TJx
11-20-2012, 04:30

I agree.
As someone above said:
"The slide stop is inserted in a straight in motion at reassembly" cannot be done in my experience. I have 3 1911's, a Springfield, Colt ANVIII, and a RIA. The Colt and the Springfield cannot be just pushed in, they are too tight, you need to push the pin in with some sort of tool while pushing the slide stop in. And you can't tell me the RIA is made right over the others as the problem.
I came across a website recently covering wartime 1911 roll marks and virtually every one of them had the scratch. Might they have been put there by someone after the Greatest Generation got done with them? Perhaps in a very few cases at best.

faawrenchbndr
11-20-2012, 04:55

Sorry you find it offensive,.......do you key your car trying to
unlock the door? :dunno:

3rdgen40
11-20-2012, 06:35

If someone wants a safe queen, fine. But where do they think that gives them the right to insult me because my gun has a scratch on it. Maybe my gun has seen harder use than theirs has. Maybe mine was not always reassembled on a nice workbench.Honest wear from use is cool.However, a scratch caused by someone not knowing how to properly install a simple slide stop without gouging the finish...well, that is not cool.

"The slide stop is inserted in a straight in motion at reassembly" cannot be done in my experience.
Sounds like you need more experience then.
1911 Reassembly: Avoid scratching the frame! Proper slide-stop lever insertion - YouTube

faawrenchbndr
11-20-2012, 06:54
Actually, no, I am not sorry.

Ignorance on your part gets no pity from me. Earn how to properly
assemble the weapon system.

Someone mentioned about assembling in the dark, in a far away
land. Apples to oranges we are talking bout civvies in the ConUS

LUKY-DUDE
11-20-2012, 07:48

land. Apples to oranges we are talking bout civvies in the ConUS

Well you learned two things--the other-- that this guy is and always will be the biggest jerk on here. Now maybe he can teach you how to spell.

FLIPPER 348
11-20-2012, 08:04

When he is getting into his car in total darkness when covered in mud & blood perhaps.

Rinspeed
11-20-2012, 11:04
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436507

Spiffums
11-20-2012, 11:38

DIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON A JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UNHEARD OF!!!

I have gouged stuff before but I really can't see how they get a mark like that on them.

faawrenchbndr
11-20-2012, 11:42
Well you learned two things--the other-- that this guy is and always will be the biggest jerk on here. Now maybe he can teach you how to spell.

Yep,.......that's me! Grade A, #1, first class jerk!

Happy now? :honkie:

On as other note,.....if I am the biggest Jerk here, life in general
must be very rough for you. I feel rather sorry for ya!

faawrenchbndr
11-20-2012, 11:43
When he is getting into his car in total darkness when covered in mud & blood perhaps.

:rofl:

countrygun
11-20-2012, 11:49
I agree.
As someone above said:
"The slide stop is inserted in a straight in motion at reassembly" cannot be done in my experience. I have 3 1911's, a Springfield, Colt ANVIII, and a RIA. The Colt and the Springfield cannot be just pushed in, they are too tight, you need to push the pin in with some sort of tool while pushing the slide stop in. And you can't tell me the RIA is made right over the others as the problem.
I came across a website recently covering wartime 1911 roll marks and virtually every one of them had the scratch. Might they have been put there by someone after the Greatest Generation got done with them? Perhaps in a very few cases at best.

In general I don't see any chance of the issue disappearing in this or any future generations.

I heard Newbs on another forum complain about the Sigpro 2022 and "How hard" it was to field strip because it didn't have takedown levers like other Sigs or a Glock, "You have to pull this pin out of the gun":upeyes:

MD357
11-20-2012, 11:51
I think the people gasp in horror over one are just as moronic as those that have a problem assembling their 1911s correctly. There are several ways to avoid it though.

faawrenchbndr
11-20-2012, 11:55
I think the people gasp in horror over one are just as moronic as those that have a problem assembling their 1911s correctly. There are several ways to avoid it though.

They do happen. I can understand that. But asking excuses is nuts.
Lack of knowledge is ignorance.

MD357
11-20-2012, 12:08
They do happen. I can understand that. But asking excuses is nuts.
Lack of knowledge is ignorance.

I don't always put an idiot mark on my 1911..... but when I do.... it's in blood and mud.

http://media.heavy.com/media/2012/09/most-interesting-man-single-piece-flow.jpg

faawrenchbndr
11-20-2012, 12:23
Damn dude........you going to come over here & clean up the
iced tea? Shot out my nose! :rofl:

deadite
11-20-2012, 12:26
I find that the ones most responsible for the idiot scratch are old or bad gunsmiths. I've had 2 come back from having work done with scratches...not to mention dings and dents on rifle stocks.

It seems that most of today's custom smiths are really just changing the gun's appearance verses improving the functionality, so small scratches that don't effect function aren't on an old school smith's radar.

faawrenchbndr
11-20-2012, 12:39
I'll tell you this,......Chuck Rogers improved my Springer Compact
110%! In the end, only the slide & frame were retained.

deadite
11-20-2012, 12:53
I'll tell you this,......Chuck Rogers improved my Springer Compact
110%! In the end, only the slide & frame were retained.

I believe it. He's in a league of his own, but there are a handful of guys out there who just pretty up a gun.

MD357
11-20-2012, 13:27
I believe it. He's in a league of his own, but there are a handful of guys out there who just pretty up a gun.

Like whom? Just curious because all of the guys I can think of consider reliability and function to be imperative over superficial considerations.

deadite
11-20-2012, 13:52
Like whom? Just curious because all of the guys I can think of consider reliability and function to be imperative over superficial considerations.

Maybe I painted with too broad of a brush. The guys that you can think of (Rogers, Burton, Yost, Morris and the like) are very talented gunsmiths. I'm thinking generically of a new crop of fly by night guys that are mostly specializing in cerakoting, and custom finishes, but label themselves smiths.

My point was that old-school smiths that would work on your grandfather's rifle don't have the same respect for the aesthetics of a gun...more the function and an idiot scratch isn't priority for them.

Nestor
11-20-2012, 15:00
Scratches don't bother me really. Idiot ones or not.
Sooner or later any gun will have some here and there.
I think that any 1911 (except for the new ones) that I ever seen had this scratch printed nicely.
I'll be more focused on being accurate and familiar with function of the gun than on any, stupid scratch or wear.
I actually like the wear on 1911s...

countrygun
11-20-2012, 15:10
Maybe I painted with too broad of a brush. The guys that you can think of (Rogers, Burton, Yost, Morris and the like) are very talented gunsmiths. I'm thinking generically of a new crop of fly by night guys that are mostly specializing in cerakoting, and custom finishes, but label themselves smiths.

My point was that old-school smiths that would work on your grandfather's rifle don't have the same respect for the aesthetics of a gun...more the function and an idiot scratch isn't priority for them.

We must know different "old-school" 'smiths.

deadite
11-20-2012, 15:28
We must know different "old-school" 'smiths.

We must. Glad yours worked out okay.

KennyFSU
11-20-2012, 15:30
1911 training wheels:

http://idiotscratch.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger1079
11-22-2012, 07:38

land. Apples to oranges we are talking bout civvies in the ConUSWere you the kid that got picked on by everyone in school?

faawrenchbndr
11-22-2012, 07:45
Nope,....just don't sugar coat stuff for today's softer, kinder,
PC generation! :tongueout:

Batesmotel
11-22-2012, 12:13
That's right. I remembered something about how you have to disassemble your pistol in the dark hands full of blood & mud.

Damn, was Fallujah that tough?

And who did you serve with. Go choke on your safe queen.

Batesmotel
11-22-2012, 12:16

Just opinionated and have the years of experience to back it.

Glockdude1
11-22-2012, 12:39

Nah, Keyless entry.......... :rimshot:

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!

:tongueout:

fnfalman
11-22-2012, 13:22
And who did you serve with. Go choke on your safe queen.

101st Airborne. We aren't in the habits of trying to maintain our handguns while in the middle of a firefight. We're too busy smokin' our enemies.

Oh yeah, my safe queens are purdy!!!

And at least I don't pretend to be some sort of gunfighter who disassemble and reassemble my M1911 "in the field/combat".

Roger1079
11-22-2012, 16:09
Nope,....just don't sugar coat stuff for today's softer, kinder,
PC generation! :tongueout:It has nothing to do with being softer, kinder, or PC. You are a being a complete d_ouchebag plain and simple to someone on the internet that you don't even know. Only people that I know that do that have some kind of little man syndrome that stems from a childhood incident. I would rather have an idiot scratch on my 1911 than actually be a true to life idiot. The scratch you can fix, however your condition has no hope for repair.

By the way, I own 2 Kimber 1911's, neither of witch have an idiot scratch.

Have a good day sir.

R0CKETMAN
11-22-2012, 16:17
It has nothing to do with being softer, kinder, or PC. You are a being a complete d_ouchebag plain and simple to someone on the internet that you don't even know. Only people that I know that do that have some kind of little man syndrome that stems from a childhood incident. I would rather have an idiot scratch on my 1911 than actually be a true to life idiot. The scratch you can fix, however your condition has no hope for repair.

Oh hell no you didn't....:animlol::animlol::rofl::rofl:

Roger1079
11-22-2012, 16:48
Oh hell no you didn't....:animlol::animlol::rofl::rofl:

I actually think I might have.... :rofl:

Guatariccan
11-22-2012, 17:06
I always assumed the idiot mark was on the slide not the frame. I've seen the slide scratched more often than the frame. I'm actually guilty of it on my first 1911. Since then I've been much more mindful during reassembly and will hopefully avoid ever doing it again. It's strictly aesthetic but damn did it bug me!!

R0CKETMAN
11-22-2012, 17:50
I'm offended some are offended:supergrin:

it really is preventable:cheers:

3rdgen40
11-22-2012, 18:39
It has nothing to do with being softer, kinder, or PC. You are a being a complete d_ouchebag plain and simple to someone on the internet that you don't even know. Only people that I know that do that have some kind of little man syndrome that stems from a childhood incident. I would rather have an idiot scratch on my 1911 than actually be a true to life idiot. The scratch you can fix, however your condition has no hope for repair.

Have a good day sir.The "tongue out" smilie means that he was joking around.Maybe you just aren't intelligent enough to figure that out.:dunno:

faawrenchbndr
11-22-2012, 19:04

Have a good day sir.

Dude,.......you got issues! :ender:

fallenangelhim
11-22-2012, 19:45
When putting the slide lock piece in the frame, there is a possibility of pushing the pin in with too much force and scratching the frame.

I have yet to have this happen to me with any 1911.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

MD357
11-22-2012, 20:53

Have a good day sir.

http://www.morethings.com/fan/bill_murray/stripes/bill_murray-stripes1981-1330.jpg

Roger1079
11-22-2012, 21:00

Don't we all?

R0CKETMAN
11-23-2012, 04:11

Don't we all?

no...not all are born with the "dumbass gene"...hence not all 1911s have idiot scratch:thumbsup:

rv4driver
11-23-2012, 16:14
Who knew a thread could go so far downhill...from the bottom of the hill.