Powder burns on casings? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder burns on casings?

inky0ct0pus
11-19-2012, 22:07
I posted this earlier somewhere else, but hopefully there is a more specific knowlegebase here..

Hello, I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 21 and shooting it today I noticed that on every casing, there were significant powder burns on one side. The burns go down to a little over half-way.
I shot three different brands.
Federal 230gr fmj - all casings were burned
Winchester 230gr fmj - all casings were burned
Federal Hydro-shok 165 gr hollow point - less burned, but still some.

Should I be worried about this? Would it affect velocity/ accuracy?

I wouldn't have even noticed, but a gentleman at the range picking up brass for reloads said he hadn't seen it before. Talking to the shop I purchased it, they suggested I try different ammo.

Thanks

M 7
11-19-2012, 22:11
Nope. It is normal and nothing to worry about.

Depending on the powder used, the amount of soot you will see on fired cases will vary. Premium SD ammo tends to use cleaner flash (the source of a lot of the soot) suppressed powders whereas the cheaper "practice" ammo (FMJs) doesn't.

It all comes off with a good cleaning.

Tiro Fijo
11-19-2012, 23:03
It has to do with pressure and case obturation. Cream puff range ammo does not expand the case well and gas gets by it. Also, straight wall cases are worse for this than bottleneck.

INEEDMILK
11-19-2012, 23:04
This is quite common with all of my Glocks

SJ 40
11-20-2012, 06:02
It has to do with pressure and case obturation. Cream puff range ammo does not expand the case well and gas gets by it. Also, straight wall cases are worse for this than bottleneck.This.
The listed Federal HS,older bullet technology now but still at a higher pressure sealed better thus not as much soot down the case.
SJ 40

HK Dan
11-20-2012, 07:55
It's called "Blow by" and the forme poster is ight, its from unde powered ammo. The case does not seal the chamber and the gas blows by, causing the charring. Not a cause for concern.