West German P226, possible concerns... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : West German P226, possible concerns...

KennyFSU
11-20-2012, 08:28
Just picked it up last night. frame rails show no wear whatsoever, however, the slide to frame fitment has a lot more play than any of my other pistols (Glock, HK, Kahr, Springfield). It's to the point where if I shake it from side to side there is an audible rattling sound.

Since this is my first Sig, is this normal? I realize this is an older gun (KA - 1990) but I still don't think there should be that much play.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/Guns/F063267D-E048-468A-8C1B-E7F95EF4C26F-242-0000000F033A50DF.jpg

KennyFSU
11-20-2012, 11:22
After doing more research (and input from L-2) I have found that this is somewhat common and doesn't have any correlation to round count or abuse. When it comes to accuracy, it's slide to barrel fitment that matters most, and with this Sig, it's extremely good.

I just plan on replacing the recoil spring on it and shooting it.

9mm +p+
11-20-2012, 17:52
Congrats, that's nice!

jakebrake
11-20-2012, 17:57
you should be very concerned. easiest way to fix it is, let me give you my f.f.l.'s address, and you can send it to me...

i'll take that problem pistol off your hands for you. (kidding)

that is a great find.

silversport
11-21-2012, 05:55
a new recoil spring (orange painted end IIRC) and you should be good to go...great pistol...I am newly back to a P226 (1999 All American Model) and it has been as nice as my 1988 W. German Herndon, VA marked model was...

if you carry yours, buy some Mec-Gar (an OE supplier to SiG) 18 round flush magazines...

Bill

KennyFSU
11-21-2012, 06:49
Thanks guys.

Haha @ jake, I'm not falling for that trick again!

Good advice, silver, thanks. Are there any differences in quality between the Herndon and Exeter Sigs?

kodiakpb
11-21-2012, 10:25
Beauty

vtducrider
11-21-2012, 22:56
Ugh... I would hate that! It makes the gun feel cheap, or not as well made. It could be an indication of high round count.... hopefully replacing the recoil spring will fix it. I had a w. germany P226 from early 90's. I got into reloading when I had this gun. So it had well over 20K rounds through it. Yep, I was reloading for about $3 per 50 rounds. Very tight all around when I finally sold it.

KennyFSU
11-22-2012, 03:48
Ugh... I would hate that! It makes the gun feel cheap, or not as well made. It could be an indication of high round count.... hopefully replacing the recoil spring will fix it. I had a w. germany P226 from early 90's. I got into reloading when I had this gun. So it had well over 20K rounds through it. Yep, I was reloading for about $3 per 50 rounds. Very tight all around when I finally sold it.

I signed up on a Sig forum and they also assured me that slide to frame fitment is not an indication of abuse or high round count. The telling factor is the condition of the frame rails; mine are in good condition with very little wear/color showing.

Many of the members there told me that the "play" is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary1911A1
11-22-2012, 04:45
Very nice. I think the 226 is the best DA/SA 9MM pistol ever made.

silversport
11-22-2012, 06:21
Thanks guys.

Haha @ jake, I'm not falling for that trick again!

Good advice, silver, thanks. Are there any differences in quality between the Herndon and Exeter Sigs?

the answer depends...but there should be little difference in those with the stamped steel and pinned breach block P Series SiGs...to my knowledge those were never made in the States (but the frames may have at some point)...

I recently purchased a 1999 made P226 in 9mm with the stainless slide and external extractor...it seems to have been made all here in the States as there are no markings anywhere to show German manufacture...

it is as nice or nicer than any of my W German or German marked P Series pistols and I've owned a lot, with a beautiful trigger...

Enjoy yours...it looks like a honey...

Bill

bac1023
11-26-2012, 20:11
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

Gun Shark
11-26-2012, 20:44
the answer depends...but there should be little difference in those with the stamped steel and pinned breach block P Series SiGs...to my knowledge those were never made in the States (but the frames may have at some point)...

I recently purchased a 1999 made P226 in 9mm with the stainless slide and external extractor...it seems to have been made all here in the States as there are no markings anywhere to show German manufacture...

it is as nice or nicer than any of my W German or German marked P Series pistols and I've owned a lot, with a beautiful trigger...

Enjoy yours...it looks like a honey...

Bill

Mine says W. Germany. But what other markings are you talking about? I don't have access to an American made sig to compare it too.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

silversport
11-27-2012, 04:31
if yours has Made in (W) Germany it is German made...my current P226 has no German markings at all and a UU serial number...depending on whom you choose to believe, it is most likely an all US made pistol...mine is perfect...

Yours should have symbols (cartouche) and letters under side near the front of the pistol under the barrel on the dust cover...2 letters will hold the date code in your vintage SiG...later ones won't have those markings but it helps to show when yours was made...

Bill

Gun Shark
11-27-2012, 05:36
if yours has Made in (W) Germany it is German made...my current P226 has no German markings at all and a UU serial number...depending on whom you choose to believe, it is most likely an all US made pistol...mine is perfect...

Yours should have symbols (cartouche) and letters under side near the front of the pistol under the barrel on the dust cover...2 letters will hold the date code in your vintage SiG...later ones won't have those markings but it helps to show when yours was made...

Bill

Just looked and I have a crown with an N above it. Some kind of bug looking thing and the letters JJ(1988?). Also after the serial number on the frame there is also a crown.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

silversport
11-28-2012, 03:34
those cartouches mean something in Germany and are marks for proofing, etcetera required there...seems you have a 1988 (my first was a 1988 P226...never one problem with it) P226...SiGARMS Herndon, Va marked???...enjoy...

I think you asked elsewhere but the SiG Service Plan (SSP) is a nice deal if you want it checked out, springs updated and a new set of night sights...I had it done to a P225 in 2006 and was pleased with the results...I have kept mine a DA/SA and I think SiG P Series of your Vintage cannot be changed to DAK...enjoy that pistol...

Bill

Sammael
12-01-2012, 03:50
Nice score!

Don't worry about the rattle. Completely normal.

Enjoy your new acquisition! Excellent choice.

ca survivor
12-12-2012, 17:57
don't be concern, enjoy your Sig

ColdSteelNail
12-13-2012, 15:17
jakebrake is right. you better let me take it off your hands and dispose of if properly.

Really though, nothing to worry about.

KennyFSU
12-14-2012, 07:48
I took it to the range last week, amazing shooting pistol!

I shot it better than my Glock and HK, thanks for everyone's' input.

vtducrider
12-14-2012, 13:01
I took it to the range last week, amazing shooting pistol!

I shot it better than my Glock and HK, thanks for everyone's' input.

Sounds like the 226 worked flawlessly. That's awesome! Just curious, which Glock and HK were you referring? Not sure how accurate the Sig is compared to Glocks, but I'd imagine any current production full-size HK pistols is superior in accuracy.

silversport
12-15-2012, 06:04
SiGs are known for their accuracy too...why would you imagine an HK would be better???...

Bill

Rinspeed
12-15-2012, 14:02
but I'd imagine any current production full-size HK pistols is superior in accuracy.

:upeyes: :upeyes:

KennyFSU
12-17-2012, 12:58
Sounds like the 226 worked flawlessly. That's awesome! Just curious, which Glock and HK were you referring? Not sure how accurate the Sig is compared to Glocks, but I'd imagine any current production full-size HK pistols is superior in accuracy.

I realize it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison since the HK is a .45, whereas the other 2 are 9mm, but I am more accurate and maintain tighter groups with the 226. I find that amazing since I have had the least amount of trigger time with it.

Gratuitous photo:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/Guns/9DFACCB4-7816-470A-A7BA-6271E12EC5D0-1001-00000068A76EFFAC.jpg