Totally unreliable Dillon XL650 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Totally unreliable Dillon XL650

schild
11-21-2012, 05:54
I'm the guy who is always criticizing Lee products, especially the Pro(not)1000.

Well, it turns out my Dillon 650 is totally unreliable, after 19 years and well over 100K rounds of 9mm I bent the decapping pin yesterday.

The press wouldn't work for at least 5 minutes until I could locate the Dillon spare parts package, I couldn't find the spare parts because in 19 years I've never needed any.:rofl:

In 19 years I've never regretted buying he Dillon.

waawaaweenie
11-21-2012, 06:14
that's terrible,I'm sorry to hear this.

I hope they step up with the no BS warranty.

my Dillon machine has been pretty reliable too

IndyGunFreak
11-21-2012, 06:15
19yrs? Even a full blown Dillonophile will have a hard time believing that.

Murphy's Law
11-21-2012, 06:45
And folks wonder why I like the color "blue".

PaulMason
11-21-2012, 08:49
I'm the guy who is always criticizing Lee products, especially the Pro(not)1000.

Well, it turns out my Dillon 650 is totally unreliable, after 19 years and well over 100K rounds of 9mm I bent the decapping pin yesterday.

The press wouldn't work for at least 5 minutes until I could locate the Dillon spare parts package, I couldn't find the spare parts because in 19 years I've never needed any.:rofl:

Buyer's remorse...

Dillon has great customer service, probably because they get so many calls.

labdwakin
11-21-2012, 09:00
Welll... since you are so dissatisfied with your Dillon press and SINCE I'm such an understanding and sympathetic individual. I'll send you $100 to cover the cost of packing materials and shipping and you can send me that horrible piece of junk. ;)

And just to prove that I'm nicer than the average guy, I'll send you an LCT with 4 spare toolheads and a nice little $25 digital scale :) I'm sorry that you've been so horribly cheated by that nasty Dillon press and will do my best to make it pay for your emotional scarring and anguish. I forsee many many hours of hard labor in it's future to recompense you for your trials. I will also happily call Dillon once I receive this misbegotten POS and berate them properly for their very poor design and lack of customer service. Anything else I can do to help you out, please let me know! :) :) :)

SigFTW
11-21-2012, 09:24
This thread is funny! :rofl::rofl:

BTW, Blue is #1:thumbsup:

Zombie Steve
11-21-2012, 09:41
Thank the reloading gods that Jack isn't here to see this thread. You know how worked up he gets over broken decapping pins.

:whistling:

fredj338
11-21-2012, 10:43
I have had the same terrible luck w/ my 550B, but more than 22yrs now. I have only had the 650 for about 18m, hoping for the same track record.

Hoser
11-21-2012, 10:58
I would not stand for that crap.

RustyFN
11-21-2012, 20:02

Now if you had Lee dies that wouldn't have happened. :tongueout:

bush pilot
11-21-2012, 22:48
Now if you had Lee dies that wouldn't have happened. :tongueout:

True, it would have broken much sooner.

vtducrider
11-21-2012, 23:34
Took you 5 min??? FAIL!

LOL...

Love my Dillon.

birda40
11-22-2012, 00:02
Sheesh talk about a close call.

Zombie Steve
11-22-2012, 00:30
I would not stand for that crap.

:goodpost:

WiskyT
11-22-2012, 12:20
True, it would have broken much sooner.

The Lee decapper is so superior to the Dillon it's not even funny. The Lee decapper is unbreakable, literally. Anyone who manages to break a Lee decapper is not reloading with it. Even if there are rocks in your cases, they don't break.

The Dillon on the other hand, I just put up with one out of every 200 or so rounds coming out of my 650 with a spent primer in a finished round. I don't bother posting about it because all the fixes have been done, including contacting Dillon, and it still does it. It's done it for the 13 years or so it's been in operation, by my father and now me.

I did a lot of things to day to clear up odds and ends around my reloading room, but I forgot to swap out my Dillon sizer for my Lee. I'll do it tomorrow.

Dillon makes great stuff and their support is great too. You pay a high price for that greatness, but it is good stuff. But to suggest that their stuff is perfect, at all times superior to Lee, especially their decapper system with it's spring and other goofyness, is just silly.

Three-Five-Seven
11-22-2012, 13:40
If you shoot competitively, you have to work with a company you can rely on when the chips are down and the manure hits the turbine.

Lee is not that kind of company. "Send us the broken part and we'll send you a new one" is not helpful to a guy that has a match next week and has to be up and running.

Dillon, on the other hand, has had replacements to my door within twenty-four hours when the situation was do-or-die urgent. I can depend on them.

I loaded a thousand (1000) rounds on my 650 last night before going to bed. Nothing broke. Got up this morning and loaded another 1000 rounds. Nothing broke this morning either.

Wisky, your experience with both Lee and Dillon products are very different from my own experiences with these products.

When I was young I had time and no money. Now, I shoot every chance I get and compete once or twice per week. I cannot afford the time to deal with inferior products or even more inferior customer service. I'm glad you like Lee. I don't.

WiskyT
11-22-2012, 15:57
If you shoot competitively, you have to work with a company you can rely on when the chips are down and the manure hits the turbine.

Lee is not that kind of company. "Send us the broken part and we'll send you a new one" is not helpful to a guy that has a match next week and has to be up and running.

Dillon, on the other hand, has had replacements to my door within twenty-four hours when the situation was do-or-die urgent. I can depend on them.

I loaded a thousand (1000) rounds on my 650 last night before going to bed. Nothing broke. Got up this morning and loaded another 1000 rounds. Nothing broke this morning either.

Wisky, your experience with both Lee and Dillon products are very different from my own experiences with these products.

When I was young I had time and no money. Now, I shoot every chance I get and compete once or twice per week. I cannot afford the time to deal with inferior products or even more inferior customer service. I'm glad you like Lee. I don't.

They send you the parts because you already paid for them in the cost of the machine. If readiness was the standard, I could have complete redundancy with two Pro1000 for less than the price of those free parts and great support, that is my point.

As for my experiences, it's not even a matter of my experiences. The Lee decapper is superior in every way to the Dillon, or anybody elses for that matter. It's not even something that can be debated, there are no two sides to it. I have driven my Lee pin right through Berdan brass, or had it slip the collet as designed. I've had it slip the collet when pebbles were in cases. I've never, never in 26 years, had a spent primer pulled back into the case, or not ejected from the case in the first place (whichever is actually happening when a "finished round" comes out with a spent primer).

bballer182
11-22-2012, 16:06
I have had the same terrible luck w/ my 550B, but more than 22yrs now. I have only had the 650 for about 18m, hoping for the same track record.

Why would you hope for that same terrible track record?... best of luck to you with the 650, you're gunna need it. Lol

Speaking of which. I need to step up to a 550 or a 650. Loading these thousands on a Lyman Crusher II is slow going. :D

RRP
11-22-2012, 16:38
Different strokes for different folks!

Deployment Solu
11-22-2012, 18:27
Am I blue?? Yes, I'm blue!!!

cajun_chooter
11-23-2012, 08:32
well darn.. tell you what... i'll give you my addy.. and you can ship that 650 to me.. i need another one..

schild
11-24-2012, 11:45
The funny thing is that when I opened my package of spare parts that I've never used there must have been a dozen pins in the package.

FYI, I'm sure the pin that I bent must have rammed through the bottom of at least a dozen berdan primed cartridges.:wow:

shotgunred
11-26-2012, 17:57
They probably made them better twenty years ago. I have busted my 650 three times.
Two of the three times were plastic parts. Once was my fault the other I don't know what happened. The last was the priming system.