just got a new to me ruger mark II [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : just got a new to me ruger mark II

cowboywannabe
11-21-2012, 13:53
for $199.00, box, papers, two magazines, its in pretty good shape...no built in lock like my LCR-22...

what am i in for with the mark 2? i see that field stripping for cleaning will be a major chore....

how about ammo issues?

havent shot it yet but im stoked, always wanted one, i like the Luger look, btw its a 6" bbl.

thanks.

CMG
11-21-2012, 15:35
Congrats,

Field stripping is easy, it's the re-assembly that many let get the better of them, though if you read the manual and follow it, that can be mastered pretty quick as well.

Most .22s tend to have a preference in ammo, the only way to know for sure is to test several brands/types in you particular gun... have fun.

Jason D
11-21-2012, 16:19
Well after I solved the ejection off the magazine problem my gun suffered. It has fed and fired everything I have put through it. As long as the round has primer compound and powder she's good to go.

I would imagine yours will be fine as long as your gun ejects properly.

You may find you need to knock the mainspring housing out a few times depending on how many times it has been apart. You may also need to knock the upper off with a rubber mallet. It is not hard to do, but it can be a pain in the rear. However it you understand how the gun works and see how the parts fit it becomes old hat after awhile.

ede
11-21-2012, 16:22
Steel match Pheonix City on Friday at EAGC, come out and try the MkII out.

CigarandScotch
11-21-2012, 16:38
Mine eats everything, but so far the cleanest and most accurate results have been with Mini Mags. Congrats, you will love having it. It's pretty much my favorite gun of all time.

cowboywannabe
11-21-2012, 16:53
Steel match Pheonix City on Friday at EAGC, come out and try the MkII out.

would that be phenix city as in russell county?

ede
11-21-2012, 19:33
would that be phenix city as in russell county?

sure would, starts 10am EST. can't remember how many stages, I think 5 and should be 5 strings of fire per stage. any rimfire is legal, rifle or pistol and you can shoot 2 entries.

RRP
11-21-2012, 19:44
I bought my MK-II nearly 30 years ago. When kept clean, mine will eat any brand of inexpensive bulk ammo, without problems.

Take down and reassembly takes a bit of practice, but it's not difficult. There are a number of good YouTube videos that can shorten your learning curve, considerably. After a few times, you will be a pro.

Enjoy your new purchase. It's a great little pistol which will last a lifetime.

Rick305
11-21-2012, 19:59
Congrats I recently picked up a MK3 22/45 !

jp3975
11-22-2012, 02:32
Ive had mine for 15 years and never taken it apart. Still runs great on whatever i decide to pick up at walmart.

I think you'll be pleased. And if you want to make it a bit better you can buy volquartsen parts though its fine the way it is.

In many people's opinion, the Mark II is the best Ruger 22 pistol.

cowboywannabe
11-22-2012, 06:49
sure would, starts 10am EST. can't remember how many stages, I think 5 and should be 5 strings of fire per stage. any rimfire is legal, rifle or pistol and you can shoot 2 entries.

wont be able to make it bro, im on night shift and will get off at 8 a.m. eastern time, too beat to do any shooting...

ede
11-22-2012, 11:44
too bad, shooting Steel is a rush. Not sure of the EAGC schedule, CAGC east of Montomery shoots 2nd Saturday of the month, but December is last match until spring. Montogmery is hosting a Glock match next June and October in Mobile with BamaTrooper.

TKM
11-22-2012, 13:17
Re-assembly is just a matter of practice. Don't let it worry you too much.

Your new best friend is the Ultimate Clip Loader.

Ultimate Clip Loader Review - YouTube

catalyst686
11-22-2012, 15:58
Re-assembly is just a matter of practice. Don't let it worry you too much.

Your new best friend is the Ultimate Clip Loader.

Ultimate Clip Loader Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wFM9YFbKak&feature=related)

WTH!!!!!!! YES!!!! This is awesome, I've been getting huge calluses on my thumbs and fingers from loading these mags over and over at the range. Getting one of these ASAP, thank you sir!

Grabbrass
11-22-2012, 20:47
Here's my MkI/II/III tips ...

1) don't ever use a screwdriver to pry open the spur that in the backstrap of the grip that starts the field strip process. Instead, make yourself a 2 inch loop using a zip tie. Use another zip tie to choke it off at the connecting point to prevent it closing up on itself (see the picture). Use this loop to pull that spur out.

2) Until / unless you actually get one of those Ultimate Clip Loaders (I still haven't) use a plastic soda bottle cap to pull back the knob on the mags. Your thumb owes me big time.

Here's the pic I took of the most important things you need now, after mags and ammo.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/FudaFuda/P1010369m.jpg

steve1911
11-22-2012, 22:16
Congrats!

1911club#410

failsafe
11-23-2012, 04:45
Reassembly at about 5 minutes in,,
Ruger MK II & III Disassembly/Reassembly EASY pt. 1/3 - YouTube

cowboywannabe
11-23-2012, 06:45
thanks for all the tips and links guys!

HAMMERHEAD
11-23-2012, 07:27
Congrats on the Mark II.
As far as ammo goes, I won't run Stingers or other hyper velocity ammo through my Mark II, they can beat up the takedown pin and frame slot.
On the low end mine will cycle just about anything in the summer including Rem sub-sonics, Wolf MT and CCI SV. In cold weather I have to shoot hotter ammo. Mini Mags are always good, Federal bulk, just about anything should work.

cowboywannabe
11-23-2012, 09:06
im finding out that there are no front sight options for the mkII with fixed rear sight.....

TKM
11-25-2012, 23:25
im finding out that there are no front sight options for the mkII with fixed rear sight.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/717074/lpa-tpu-target-rear-sight-ruger-mark-ii-steel-blue

Keep the front, change the rear.:supergrin:

bac1023
11-26-2012, 20:25
Congrats on a great pistol.

I love the Mark series Rugers.

CanMan
11-26-2012, 21:44
They're great pistols! Enjoy!!

Wyoming
11-26-2012, 22:15
A Ruger Mark II and a spare magazine for $199 is a great deal.:cool:

Of the three Marks I like the MK II the best. Have three of them. Don't worry about disassembling it to clean it after every time you shoot it. Most 22 pistols and rifles get more wear from cleaning them than shooting them. My rule for my 22s is I clean them when they need it. They need to be cleaned when they start to malfunction. I live in a very dry climate so rust is not a problem. If you live in a humid climate then wipe them down as needed.

drizzle
11-27-2012, 08:27
The guys are right, don't worry about disassembling for cleaning every time you shoot. Do it like changing your batteries in your smoke detector.

Day to day you can run a bore snake through it after locking the bolt back. Maybe scrub the feed ramp with a toothbrush a little too.

If you're opening the disassembly lever, the best thing I've found to pry it out without scratching the frame is a ballpoint pen or pen cap.

Buy lots of mags, you'll shoot fast. I found a nifty little loader from Ram line years ago that fits around the mag and lets you depress the button without straining your thumb. It's just a nickel's worth of plastic with a magazine size slot in it and thumb rests on either side.

My 6-7/8 pencil bbl with adj sights was my first gun. I learned to shoot on Dad's Mk I, which he bought when they were under 50.00 new. Everyone should own one.

ca survivor
11-28-2012, 06:32
Congrats.