Staked BCG's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Staked BCG's

bigmoney890
11-21-2012, 17:39
Anyone who advised that staking a BCG is unnecessary, and that it didn't make a difference that my CMT BCG wasn't staked properly, is officially on my **** list.

Went to range today and first magazine went fine, the second one fired the first round and kept short stroking. At first I didn't realize it was short stroking so I thought the mag was bad, so I grabbed a pmag, and it did the same thing. It would fire the first round fine, then not feed the second round. I dropped the mag and looked at the top round, and the round had been scrapped, but not fed. I called my AR guy, and he asked me to check the gas key. Bingo! It was more loose than a hooker on nickel night :rofl:

I tightened the allen screws, finished my session flawlessly, and headed up to him and he properly staked the BCG for me. The gun only had about 190 rounds through it when the gas key came loose, so it didn't come loose from over use. So, long story short, proper staking is necessary!!

GSSF17
11-21-2012, 17:49
proper staking is critical to reliable function, sir. Yep. You got it. :thumbsup:

mjkeat
11-21-2012, 17:58
There will still be doubters. Just like w/ the DPMS thing, or any well known low quality product.

Glad your back on track.

bmoore
11-21-2012, 18:14
Anyone who advised that staking a BCG is unnecessary, and that it didn't make a difference that my CMT BCG wasn't staked properly, is officially on my **** list.

Went to range today and first magazine went fine, the second one fired the first round and kept short stroking. At first I didn't realize it was short stroking so I thought the mag was bad, so I grabbed a pmag, and it did the same thing. It would fire the first round fine, then not feed the second round. I dropped the mag and looked at the top round, and the round had been scrapped, but not fed. I called my AR guy, and he asked me to check the gas key. Bingo! It was more loose than a hooker on nickel night :rofl:

I tightened the allen screws, finished my session flawlessly, and headed up to him and he properly staked the BCG for me. The gun only had about 190 rounds through it when the gas key came loose, so it didn't come loose from over use. So, long story short, proper staking is necessary!!

Glad you got it worked out. Remember there a lot of dumb people out there, even worse is when they refuse to learn.

bigmoney890
11-21-2012, 19:04
I figured I would let everyone know since me and Wooden Plank both had BCG trouble in the past week, yet the nay sayers said they've never seen a gas key problem...

mvician
11-21-2012, 19:10
Gee....whoda thunk it ?

and receiver extension nuts never come loose either. :rofl:

bigmoney890
11-21-2012, 19:37
Gee....whoda thunk it ?

and receiver extension nuts never come loose either. :rofl:

Got mine staked the first time I went up there, but I thought my BCG was staked enough. That's the last time I'm risking it :supergrin:

Rooster Rugburn
11-21-2012, 19:47
Isn't CMT supposed to be a high quality, fan boy approved product? You didn't check it when you initially cleaned it? Maybe you should have bought a DPMS. :rofl::rofl:

I bought one of those MOACKS II tools a few years ago, and it stakes the sheet out it, but I think it's over-kill.

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

bigmoney890
11-21-2012, 20:11
Isn't CMT supposed to be a high quality, fan boy approved product? You didn't check it when you initially cleaned it? Maybe you should have bought a DPMS. :rofl::rofl:

I bought one of those MOACKS II tools a few years ago, and it stakes the sheet out it, but I think it's over-kill.

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

I thought the staking was sufficient, but that's what I get for thinking. If I start to build more, i'm gonna pick up a MOACKS Plain

K. Foster
11-21-2012, 20:16
Glad it was only a minor inconvenience. Hopefully, this will give you a little perspective on who you can listen to and who you can’t.

bigmoney890
11-21-2012, 20:31
Glad it was only a minor inconvenience. Hopefully, this will give you a little perspective on who you can listen to and who you canít.

Exactly right.

WoodenPlank
11-21-2012, 21:39
At least yours was an easy fix. Re-torque, stake harder, drive on.

A stripped bolt that can't be removed due to staking is a PITA.

mvician
11-21-2012, 21:57
Curious as to how the staking prevented you from removing the bolt?

WoodenPlank
11-21-2012, 22:00
Curious as to why the staking prevented you from removing the bolt?

The gas key was staked over the bolt head, and not deep enough into it. So the bolt turned, but since something was stripped(don't know if it was bolt or carrier), it couldn't apply enough upward pressure to push through the displaced material on the key itself.

It took only a tiny amount of pressure to start that front bolt turning when I went to check them, and once it turned it didn't stop. The rear bolt was fine, just the front one was bad.

mvician
11-21-2012, 22:08
Since BCM was going to take care of it, best to have left it in that condition but the staking could have been over come with a hammer and flat punch, file, or dremel if you had wanted to tear it down yourself.

Back up parts are a good idea to keep on hand...anything mechanical can fail.

WoodenPlank
11-21-2012, 22:10
Since BCM was going to take care of it, best to have left it in that condition but the staking could have been over come with a hammer and flat punch, file, or dremel if you had wanted to tear it down yourself.

Back up parts are a good idea to keep on hand...anything mechanical can fail.

I happen to be in NC for the holidays, so I have access to a rather excellent armorer here that could have fixed it (assuming the carrier itself wasn't stripped). However, I am more than happy to let Bravo deal with it. Fortunately, I had a backup BCG on hand, so that AR isn't down for the count, it just has a slight limp. That backup BCG will be going into my new 16" mid-length build until I can snag another BCM bolt group to toss in it, and I can send the spare back to the gun safe to sit in a corner.

surf
11-21-2012, 23:30
I have seen many a gas key and castle nut break free while rifles are in use. I will not mention brands that I have personally witnessed that show the most issues, or rather, will not mention brands that almost never show the issues. If your around enough variety in rifles over many years, you will definitely see a pattern and understand why proper build techniques are so highly valued.

I will say that due to so much mis-information out there on the actual torque spec on the castle nut, I see a lot of them break loose on those who have built their own or done their own modifications.

I will also add that what looks like a properly staked gas key, may indeed not be making correct contact with the screw and actually acting as a mechanical lock. This usually occurs when the staking is too high on the key and it pushes over the top round of the screw and doesn't dig into the side of the screws head at all.

fastbolt
11-22-2012, 12:38
I've been through 5 armorer classes for the AR system over the years (2 of which were Colt classes).

During that time I've repeatedly heard how proper staking of the gas key is essential to optimal functioning in a duty weapon.

Never heard anything supporting a contrary position.

I have, however, heard of instances where a loose gas key caused functioning problems. ;)

WoodenPlank
11-22-2012, 13:06
I have seen many a gas key and castle nut break free while rifles are in use. I will not mention brands that I have personally witnessed that show the most issues, or rather, will not mention brands that almost never show the issues. If your around enough variety in rifles over many years, you will definitely see a pattern and understand why proper build techniques are so highly valued.

I will say that due to so much mis-information out there on the actual torque spec on the castle nut, I see a lot of them break loose on those who have built their own or done their own modifications.

I will also add that what looks like a properly staked gas key, may indeed not be making correct contact with the screw and actually acting as a mechanical lock. This usually occurs when the staking is too high on the key and it pushes over the top round of the screw and doesn't dig into the side of the screws head at all.

That last paragraph describes what I think happened to mine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2