Sig Sauer M400 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer M400

Drich
11-21-2012, 18:17
Thinking of getting one of these on black Friday deal at walmart. I looked at them but I have never seen a mag release like this. It looks different on the left side compared to my other AR. I tried to push the button but it did not do any thing. Please let me know what you think Thanks

mjkeat
11-21-2012, 18:49
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11636485

vettely
11-21-2012, 21:18
It's a great rifle. I have the M400 enhanced. That's the ambi mag release.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/Vettely/047.jpg

WoodenPlank
11-21-2012, 21:25
This has been hashed over time and again in the past few weeks.
SIG is still pretty new to the standard AR market. Their QC as of the past couple years (in both pistols and rifles) has been hit and miss. Unless you are getting a screaming deal, you're most likely better off spending a little more for a slightly more established name in the AR world.

Durden
11-21-2012, 21:36
SIG is still pretty new to the standard AR market. Their QC as of the past couple years (in both pistols and rifles) has been hit and miss. Unless you are getting a screaming deal, you're most likely better off spending a little more for a slightly more established name in the AR world.

I agree 100%.

I just posted about this very thing regarding the $770 (with discount) Troy AR at Dick's Sporting Goods.

It felt fine, but I don't know who makes the barrel, BCG, etc., as Troy doesn't specify that, and more importantly, they are new to assembling entire rifles out of the box (Troy makes great accessories, obviously), and there just aren't that many people who've yet posted credible long term experiences with them regarding accuracy, reliability and durability.

It's a bi-polar atmosphere with firearms right now; Walmart is selling Colt 6920s for around a grand (never thought I'd see that happen, ever), there are S&W MP15 Patrol ARs that are now on sale for $560 (that's very good rifle, IMO, for an excellent price), some people are seeing ammo prices spike in their local areas while others see practically no change in price or supply.

I'm not knocking the Troy. Given their reputation, it's probably fine, and Troy would rectify any problems that occurred without hassle. It also has about $400 to $450 worth of accessories compared to other ARs that included in that $770 price, which makes it a compelling value all by itself for some.

bunk22
11-21-2012, 21:53

You just summed up just about every gun company in terms of hit and miss lol I can only speak to my Sigs and my new M400, top notch but I'm a newbie to AR's so if it goes bang when I pull the trigger, I'm happy. I would not hesitate to buy a Sig handgun or rifle based on the information out there and my experience.

WoodenPlank
11-21-2012, 21:57
You just summed up just about every gun company in terms of hit and miss lol I can only speak to my Sigs and my new M400, top notch but I'm a newbie to AR's so if it goes bang when I pull the trigger, I'm happy. I would not hesitate to buy a Sig handgun or rifle based on the information out there and my experience.

The issue is that, while some are found immediately, many QC issues are only noticed after time and rounds down range. I had a big-name bolt carrier go TU on me a few weeks ago. It ran flawlessly for 500 rounds or so, then suddenly failed. Took me a bit to find one of the gas key bolts was bad. While even top-drawer companies can have bad parts, it's far less frequent than some of the lower-end companies, or the new guys to the game.

So, one or two range trips with no problems does not a solid gun make... unless you're burning several hundred rounds or more per trip. Even then, it may have unknown flaws waiting to pop up.

In short, you're far less likely to encounter problems from a company that has proven to be reliable time and again. SIG has quite a ways to go with their ARs before they can claim that rep.

mr.scott
11-22-2012, 13:01
The issue is that, while some are found immediately, many QC issues are only noticed after time and rounds down range. I had a big-name bolt carrier go TU on me a few weeks ago. It ran flawlessly for 500 rounds or so, then suddenly failed. Took me a bit to find one of the gas key bolts was bad. While even top-drawer companies can have bad parts, it's far less frequent than some of the lower-end companies, or the new guys to the game.

So, one or two range trips with no problems does not a solid gun make... unless you're burning several hundred rounds or more per trip. Even then, it may have unknown flaws waiting to pop up.

In short, you're far less likely to encounter problems from a company that has proven to be reliable time and again. SIG has quite a ways to go with their ARs before they can claim that rep.
Do tell the brand.

WoodenPlank
11-22-2012, 13:04
Do tell the brand.

I'm sure you'll find the thread if you look on the front page.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Drich
11-22-2012, 16:11
Thanks for the replys. I will keep looking then. To bad our dicks has no black rifles in the store. I'm not sure why either. I live here in Iowa.

vettely
11-22-2012, 16:26
I wore all my Kevlar and plates when I shot my Sig for the first time after all the negativity I read here. Boy was I surprised when, not only did it not blow up in my hands, but it ran without a hiccup. Crazy.