what "else" do you do to practice or prepare? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what "else" do you do to practice or prepare?

S.Kargoh
11-21-2012, 22:44
Don't laugh....but since I don't tend to shoot as much as I want... Here are some of the things I do to practice or prepare for gssf matches (I don't know if they work, but they make me feel more confident and prepared).

1) Take a crisp photo of my sight picture, save it to my phone's home screen. Every time I look at my phone, my mind's eye focuses on the front sight. It reminds me to find and fixate on the front sight. I change the picture every once and a while to keep it fresh.

2) Play mahjang (sp?) On the computer. Every once in a while, I will play a game of this and pretend it's a shooting match. I am trying to find the targets as quickly as possible. I am on the clock. My eyes are darting back and forth. My hand is moving the mouse. I force myself to "stress" over it and I can get pretty worked up trying to beat my best time. My heart will beat a little faster and I will start feeling "anxious energy". Seems stupid, but shooting a gssf match is about balancing the stress of the timer with seeing the targets and front sight , So I do that. (I said, don't laugh!)

3) Put up pictures of the match stages on my computer screen. Hold up a pencil at arms length and "shoot the stage" pretending the pencil tip is the front sight. Really focus crisply on the lead of the pencil tip. You can see a lot of texture in it if you focus well. Practice "transitioning" your eyes and lead to the next target. I keep a timer near and see what kind of cadences equal what kind of stage times. You begin to see there is plenty of time to settle in and get a good sight picture and still have a quick string.

4) visualization. I will lay down at night and rehearse the whole thing in my head (the entire gssf match). As many details as I can think of. This is actually difficult, as my mind wanders in the quiet. I have to force myself to reign it in and get back to focusing on the natch in my head.

Well, that's a few of my tricks. I thought I'd share some of my quirks since I have learned so much here from all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving ! Hope you all get tons of Glock Mail for the holiday season.

S.Kargoh
11-21-2012, 23:15
Also, take the above with a grain of salt. I am just an average shooter

:)

SARDG
11-22-2012, 00:52
Also, take the above with a grain of salt. I am just an average shooter

Yes Master...

ede
11-22-2012, 06:35
My closest range is over an hour away and I don't like to practice so I limit most of my practice to matches. In between matches I like to keep focused on my shooting skills by loading magazines and clean guns for Bama. Sometimes in warmer weather I'll practice for a match by mowing his lawn then raking up the clippings. Sometimes if Bama thinks my skills are slipping he'll let me wash his CRV and maybe wax it. I'm lucky to have a friend like Bama to help me with my shooting skills.

BamaTrooper
11-22-2012, 10:51
My closest range is over an hour away and I don't like to practice so I limit most of my practice to matches. In between matches I like to keep focused on my shooting skills by loading magazines and clean guns for Bama. Sometimes in warmer weather I'll practice for a match by mowing his lawn then raking up the clippings. Sometimes if Bama thinks my skills are slipping he'll let me wash his CRV and maybe wax it. I'm lucky to have a friend like Bama to help me with my shooting skills.

I may be on vacation, but I expect my grass to be cut when I get home.

There are several ranges close to you, you just need someone to supervise you:whistling:

PM720
11-22-2012, 12:04
I read posts on GT, the coverage is excellent! :supergrin:

Scott

S.Kargoh
11-22-2012, 13:06
Yes Master...

Hehe I just cracked the code on the balance of accuracy and tine for gssf. I ain't all that.

kyglockshooter 2.0
11-22-2012, 20:30

I wish that I had a friend like Bama.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Butch
11-23-2012, 22:06
Well, this year most of my range time had a lot to do with this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Muzzle%20loading/TraditionsPioneer50cal.jpg

S.Kargoh
11-23-2012, 22:20
What glock is that?! It's Purdy.

BamaTrooper
11-23-2012, 23:10
Well, this year most of my range time had a lot to do with this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Muzzle%20loading/TraditionsPioneer50cal.jpg

That was the issue rifle when Butch was drafted:supergri

Butch
11-23-2012, 23:44
That was the issue rifle when Butch was drafted

I wasn't drafted!

buellxb9rider
11-24-2012, 22:47
1 shot draws,and reloads.thats all that will ever trip you up.

SARDG
11-24-2012, 22:56
1 shot draws,and reloads.thats all that will ever trip you up.
For GSSF?? :shocked:

BamaTrooper
11-24-2012, 23:03
I wish that I had a friend like Bama.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Well the brakes on my truck need to be fixed... just saying :tongueout: It might get you promoted to acquaintance.

Glockrunner
11-25-2012, 06:02
The wife and I work on hitting the first plate from low ready. While we pay attention to the time it takes, try to focus on the hitting/aim and trigger pull.

Then when we get that running we'll work on the next plate, etc. Now we need to work on a clean string form start to finish. It is working.....

Paper targets. I use Butchs. method. I set up a 5 to Glock and place paper plates in the center of the farther targets. We practice hitting the farther target first. Went we can do that repeatly we move to the next and so on. Screw up and miss, we start all over.

I try to limit our time on the range to about a hour ot hour and a half.

Glockrunner
11-25-2012, 06:03
The wife and I work on hitting the first plate from low ready. While we pay attention to the time it takes, try to focus on the hitting/aim and trigger pull.

Then when we get that running we'll work on the next plate, etc. Now we need to work on a clean string from start to finish. It is working.....

Paper targets. I use Butchs. method. I set up a 5 to Glock and place paper plates in the center of the farther targets. We practice hitting the farther target first. When we can do that repeatily we move to the next and so on. Screw up and miss, we start all over.

I try to limit our time on the range to about a hour ot hour and a half.

SARDG
11-25-2012, 11:26
The wife and I work on hitting the first plate from low ready...

The wife and I work on hitting the first plate from low ready...
There's an echo in here... there's an echo in here... :supergrin:

Butch
11-25-2012, 12:03
The true definition of the term 'doubletap'..... :)

Glockrunner
11-25-2012, 13:21

Later got a message "the server is busy..." Yea I double tapped the Enter button:yawn:

Jack23
11-25-2012, 17:02
I try to practice weak hand and one hand shooting on a regular basis. I also practice point and shoot as well as aiming with the sights. I don't really have a place to practice true combat techniques like moving and shooting or draw and shoot. But I get to do a little bit of that when we go to the country.