Irrational? Yes, but... I want one. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Irrational? Yes, but... I want one.

ditto1958
11-22-2012, 14:00
I really, really want an AR. I want an M4 with a carry handle, preferably a Colt LE6920.

I don't need one. Would not be able to use it much as I think it would be too high powered for my backyard range.

I just want one.

bmoore
11-22-2012, 14:01
This is America you can have one, buy one. Colt 6920. Stimulate the economy.

AA_Khost
11-22-2012, 14:12
This is America you can have one, buy one.

At least for now!

Go out and buy you one OP. It won't be the only one you buy though!

Batesmotel
11-22-2012, 14:13
Nothing irrational about it at all.

RRP
11-22-2012, 14:21
I really, really want an AR. I want an M4 with a carry handle, preferably a Colt LE6920.

I don't need one. Would not be able to use it much as I think it would be too high powered for my backyard range.

I just want one.

Wants vs. Needs.

I struggled with the same thoughts, for months. Finally, I decided the purchase could not be rationalized, but that it was ok to buy one, just because I could.

Two days ago, I came home with an LE6920 from Walmart. My out-the-door price was $1097. I'm helping to keep Americans employed!

Spiffums
11-22-2012, 14:57
Get one! You will be all like PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW 'Merica!

F350
11-22-2012, 15:00

I just want one.

I have 4 ARs........ What the hell does need have to do with it???????????????

Ask your wife if she needs that new pair of shoes she just bought :rofl:

mc1911
11-22-2012, 17:15
I also wanted an AR. No real need for one.

They are fun. I am glad I own one, or two if you count the colt .22.

HoldHard
11-22-2012, 17:26
Same situation here. Mine is the LWRC Individual Carbine (IC).

M&P15T
11-22-2012, 18:16
Wants and needs.....wants and needs.

Civilains don't need ARs........yet.

mvician
11-22-2012, 18:27
Civilains don't need ARs........yet.

When you need it, what make you think you could get one?

M&P15T
11-22-2012, 18:37
When you need it, what makes you think you could get one?

Odd question.

You ask that as if I suggested the OP shouldn't get one. My intent was quite the opposite, actually.

ditto1958
11-22-2012, 18:55
I was pummeled mercilessly in another thread for this, but I'm still intrigued by the Windham Weaponry MPC. The reviews seem pretty unanimous that they are extremely well made rifles.

Hmmmm... Seems to me the only solution is to get both a Colt and a WW. That way I'll be happy and no one here can complain about me not getting a Colt. :-).

mvician
11-22-2012, 19:08
Odd question.

You ask that as if I suggested the OP shouldn't get one. My intent was quite the opposite, actually.

I was replying to your statement that civilians don't need an AR15, yet.

When I said YOU, it was in general, not directly at you.

You really need to lighten up on the defensive attitude.

DRJ1911
11-22-2012, 19:12
If I only bought guns I need I would only have one. What does need have to do with it? Buy the AR if you WANT it and you will be happy ever after.

Doyle

GlockPride
11-22-2012, 19:20
Get the Colt and give the wife the Windham. :cool:

I thought for years I didn't need one. Then I bought one and then 3 more and then the 15-22. I am down to two and the 15-22. They are our go to rifles for animals, dogs, strangers and bumps in the night.

Very, very versatile platform.

M&P15T
11-22-2012, 19:32
I was replying to your statement that civilians don't need an AR15, yet.

When I said YOU, it was in general, not directly at you.

You really need to lighten up on the defensive attitude.

I wasn't being defensive one bit. Your imagination is causing you to read things into my posts that aren't there.

Plus, your post was poorly written and difficult to understand.

Write better, it will help. A better way to make your statement might be "The time may come when we need them, and they won't be available"

GlockPride
11-22-2012, 19:46
Same situation here. Mine is the LWRC Individual Carbine (IC).

And also, that is a thing of beauty. I've never, EVER said this to a man before, but you have a nice tool there. :cool:

JBnTX
11-22-2012, 20:04

I just want one.

Just wanting one is all the justification/reason you need to buy one.

mvician
11-22-2012, 20:06
I wasn't being defensive one bit. Your imagination is causing you to read things into my posts that aren't there.

Plus, your post was poorly written and difficult to understand.

Write better, it will help. A better way to make your statement might be "The time may come when we need them, and they won't be available"

You're not going to drag me down to your level.....bye :wavey:

ithaca_deerslayer
11-22-2012, 20:44

I just want one.

I went many years before getting bit by the AR bug. I have 4 bolt centerfire rifles, including a .223. And I have an unconverted Saiga AK. Absolutely no need for an AR.

And then I got one this month.

I love my AR. Absolute pleasure to shoot. No jams, light trigger, best groups going under an inch. Smooth action.

I love how you can put the AR on target, and BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM, all controlled accurate shots :)

collim1
11-23-2012, 21:41
I was pummeled mercilessly in another thread for this, but I'm still intrigued by the Windham Weaponry MPC. The reviews seem pretty unanimous that they are extremely well made rifles.

Hmmmm... Seems to me the only solution is to get both a Colt and a WW. That way I'll be happy and no one here can complain about me not getting a Colt. :-).

I'd buy a WW, they are flying off the shelf in my area and guys are reporting good things about them.

I got tore a new one for buying a RRA recently, but it works great so don't worry about the fanboys, buy what you want.

boomhower
11-23-2012, 23:27
For a carry handle AR you can't beat the tried and true Colt 6920. Sure their are others but when you want the classic don't try to reinvent the wheel, get the known quantity.

Chuck TX
11-25-2012, 16:37
DO EEEEET!

Whether or not you feel you have a particular use for one doesn't matter, it is a fun rifle to shoot. If you want one, I say go for it.

TK-421
11-25-2012, 17:19
What the hell does need have to do with it???????????????

Ask your wife if she needs that new pair of shoes she just bought :rofl:

Agreed. :rofl:

This isn't about need, this is all about want. Do I need a half dozen different ARs? No. Will I get them? Just as soon as I can afford to. Will I get more than 6? If I can afford to, absolutely.

Gotta make sure other bills are taken care of first, because I need to eat and have shelter, but once bills are taken care of, I'm buying guns. :supergrin:

BobRicks
11-29-2012, 16:13
I was just in the same boat. I had a perfectly good PSA mid-length AR, but have always wanted a Colt LE6920. I figured after the election they would be harder and harder to come by, so I sold the perfectly good PSA(for a little profit), and added some extra cash I had lying around, and went to the local Wally World last night and bought the last one they had in stock for $1097. Most of the online places that sell to LEO's for around $995 were all out of stock that I could see, so I ended up paying a little more than I wanted to, but I now have the Colt LE6920 that I have always wanted, plus I didn't have to wait for one to be shipped to me.

Now to get to the range for a little fun time!

WinterWizard
11-29-2012, 17:26

.223/5.56 rounds typically have less penetration than most handgun caliber rounds. Might be louder, though. :wow:

Pwhfirefighter
11-29-2012, 18:07
Heck OP, just get one! You won't regret it. Only problem is you may wind up wanting another, as some have already stated. As far as the wife is concerned, I have learned asking my wife for forgiveness is easier than asking for her permission! :supergrin:

KSUGLocker
11-29-2012, 19:27
I have 17 M1 Garands. People ask we why I have 17. I answer "Because I haven't bought the 18th one yet."
2 AR's and counting.

ditto1958
11-29-2012, 19:39
I have 17 M1 Garands. People ask we why I have 17. I answer "Because I haven't bought the 18th one yet."
2 AR's and counting.

Seventeen!?:shocked:

That's, well, impressive, to say the least.

KSUGLocker
11-29-2012, 19:44
Seventeen!?:shocked:

That's, well, impressive, to say the least.

It was 19 until I gave one to my step-son and one to my son in law.

Triple7
11-29-2012, 19:47
Get one! You will be all like PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW 'Merica!

Hell you just convinced me!!! I've always wanted to PEW PEW PEW....

Louisville Glocker
11-29-2012, 19:55
I don't think you'll regret buying a Colt.

And, yes, you do neeeeeeeeeeed it. Just go buy it.

Then you can start thinking about the next gun you need. I've got enough guns to arm my kids, my neighbors, and a few local LE if a situation arises. Believe me, I'd rather be hanging out with ten armed men than sitting alone if anything bad came our way. Unlikely, but still the gun could do you more good than an extra digit or two in your bank account. Plus, I've got a good feeling about resale value for quality guns....

Cheers,

Louisville Glocker
11-29-2012, 19:59
delete - wrong thread

WoodenPlank
11-29-2012, 20:03
I won't bother to post the pictures, but where do you get this bit of research from? 556 tend to penetrate pretty darn well. There are some variations of course. But you really think a handgun penetrates better?

Under certain circumstances it can. It all depends on things like bullet construction, impact velocity, and WHAT it hit.

A light varmint bullet in 5.56 will definitely not penetrate as much as, say, a FMJ fired from a 357SIG handgun.

Mystic Knight
11-29-2012, 20:04
I was in the same boat. Never really wanted one, but felt the "need" to have one; kinda like it was my duty as an Amer-I-can. Bought a Windham and love it! Now I want another, and that want is prolly a Colt, but might be something else. It's not easy for me to buy one ($$) Time will tell.

Louisville Glocker
11-29-2012, 20:13
delete - wrong thread, sorry

T-Rod45
11-29-2012, 20:42
I was in the same boat 2 years ago... After researching for about 2 weeks (not nearly enough time as I should have), I was at a LGS lusting after a LWRC M6A2, I said screw it... I shouldn't... I certainly don't need... But damnit I WANT!!!

The rest is history... :cool:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/turb0_t0m/8d6d522f-1.jpg

TexasLEO
11-29-2012, 21:24
bought at 6920 with the magpul furniture and love it. Am waiting on BATF for my 11.5 inch Colt. 5 months in to the wait right now :brickwall:. Carry a Colt 6940 for SWAT