On-line ammo purchases [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : On-line ammo purchases

d123gaw
11-22-2012, 17:21
Are the prices to good to be true?
I've seen a couple of sites with Gold Dot and other premium selections for way less than the average dollar or so per round. They come in 50rd. boxes to boot. I'm wondering if this is second grade or otherwise less than perfect ammo? Is it the EXACT same as the 20 for $20 LGS stuff?

Providence
11-22-2012, 17:22
It's probably boxed for LE. You can legally buy it, but manufacturers restrict it. Speer Gold Dots fit into that category. If it's a legit ammo company, go for it.

cowboy1964
11-22-2012, 17:55
It's the same. I never buy 20 round boxes.

dkf
11-22-2012, 18:36
Twenty round boxes are a rip off. The ammo that I don't reload I buy in 50rd boxes. Shipping cost me a whopping $12 and change the last time I bought a few boxes.

unit1069
11-22-2012, 20:25
If that's the ammo you want in 50 round boxes then go for it. I've never had any problems with Internet ammo sources, but I'd recomment double checking the shipping charges to make sure you're not getting dinged on that end.

I've seen a couple of sites with Gold Dot and other premium selections for way less than the average dollar or so per round. They come in 50rd. boxes to boot. I'm wondering if this is second grade or otherwise less than perfect ammo? Is it the EXACT same as the 20 for $20 LGS stuff?

I've never paid for 20-round boxes of ammo when due diligence in searching for better deals on the Internet produced far better results with the 50-round boxes of the same ammo.

robhic
11-23-2012, 09:44
I agree. Unless some ammo I've purchased online states that it is re-loaded or re-manufactured or whatever it has always been first quality factory stuff like in a store. My experience has always been good and their prices are right!

rv4driver
11-23-2012, 17:19
I've found that there's a certain ammo dealer that comes in way below anyone else. Especially for cases. I've paid $11.99 a box for Gold Sabres that I had previously paid as much as 37.99 a box for at LGS's. Case price included free shipping. Heck, for that price, I can shoot the same stuff I carry as cheap as WWB crap practice ammo! I don't buy when the price isn't fantastic, but then I buy cases. The savings are tremendous, but only if you get free shipping. A case of ammo is HEAVY!!!

Jeff

PhotoFeller
11-23-2012, 17:43
I've found that there's a certain ammo dealer that comes in way below anyone else. Especially for cases. I've paid $11.99 a box for Gold Sabres that I had previously paid as much as 37.99 a box for at LGS's. Case price included free shipping. Heck, for that price, I can shoot the same stuff I carry as cheap as WWB crap practice ammo! I don't buy when the price isn't fantastic, but then I buy cases. The savings are tremendous, but only if you get free shipping. A case of ammo is HEAVY!!!

Jeff

Well, Jeff, are you keeping that certain dealer's identity a secret? We are Brothers In Glockhood, you know.

SCmasterblaster
11-25-2012, 19:02
I don't buy ammo or bullets (for reloading) from on-line dealers (Midway, etc). The shipping costs are painful.

d123gaw
11-28-2012, 03:15
$13 dollars for shipping UPS still puts a 50 rd box of Gold Dots under $1 per round.

SG ammo or Ammo to Go.

unit1069
11-28-2012, 11:50
$13 dollars for shipping UPS still puts a 50 rd box of Gold Dots under $1 per round.

SG ammo or Ammo to Go.

That's why it makes no sense to order just a single box of ammo. The basic shipping charges cover a certain amount of weight and when that first cost hike line is hit the additional cost is much lower than the initial basic cost. You can see what those charges are by selecting, say, 5-10 boxes and clicking on "check out". You'll see how much more economical it is to purchase a good quantity of ammo.

TheExplorer
11-28-2012, 11:51
It's probably boxed for LE. You can legally buy it, but manufacturers restrict it. Speer Gold Dots fit into that category. If it's a legit ammo company, go for it.

Correct. The boxes are labeled LE and come from cancelled LE orders.

SCmasterblaster
12-01-2012, 11:46
That is the great point about gun shows - no shipping costs!

Warp
12-01-2012, 20:11

Those 20 round boxes at your LGS/Walmart are a ripoff.

The 50 round boxes of Gold Dots, HST, Ranger are the way to go.

I like www.sgammo.com