Dillon 550B and the Glock "bulge" 40 s&w [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550B and the Glock "bulge" 40 s&w

Backfire_Tx
11-22-2012, 21:13
I want to be able to shoot more often and have researched re-loaders. Dillon 550B seems a good choice. I will reload .40 s&w's. I have a question. Online i read a phenomena where a Glock does not fully chamber the round and with .40 high pressure loads, will bulge the brass near the end of the casing. Folks are saying that you need to get a full length sizing die to reform the casing to be able to reload.

Question:
#1. Is this a real issue?
#2. If so, is there a Dillon 550B sizing die that will reshape the casing?

It would be a pain and time consuming to test chamber each round - to look for the bulge.

dkf
11-22-2012, 21:24
The .40 and Glock deal is a over done a lot of times. A good full length sizing die will size things back to fit in an OE Glock barrel. The Lee dies size down farther than most and have a smaller chamfer on the die. Only real downside to the smaller chamfer is sometimes the case does not line up in the die as smoothly. There is also a Lee bulge buster and a Redding GR-X pass thru dies but I would not screw with them unless you are actually having issues. I kicked around thinking about a pass through die but decided just to see if I have issues, which I didn't. Glock barrels have more support than they used to anyway.

Dillion makes good presses and if I was buying one for myself it would be a 550. (currently have an LCT that serves me well) Depending on your shooting volume you may want to consider jumping into the 650 right away.

randyc74
11-22-2012, 21:32
I load .40cal on my Dillon 550B and Lee dies. I've loaded several thousand rounds with no buldging brass issues.

TonyT
11-22-2012, 21:47
I use a lot of 40 S&W once fired brass which is picked up from LEO's at our range nad they shooot Glock's. I use a Dillon 550 with standard Lee carbide dies and have not expereinced any problems. I shot my reloads in a 1991, CZ-40B, and PO-16-40, As a matter of policy I scrap brass from high pressure cartridges such as 9mm or 40 S&W after four reloads.

TX Archer
11-22-2012, 22:25
I shoot a lot of .40 and use a 550B with Dillon dies. My .40 brass is all shot out of a Gen 2 Glock 22, Gen 3 Glock 23, or Gen 3 Glock 27. I also pick up a lot of range brass that has been fired from Glocks. I have never had the first problem with the so-called Glock bulge.

Colorado4Wheel
11-22-2012, 22:31
I like the Lee sizer. Glock bulge is a non issue for nearly everyone. Some people with fancy race guns an super tight chambers have issues. That is not you I am sure.

F106 Fan
11-23-2012, 00:14
There are many sizing dies and if you look at the opening, you will see a radius on the edge of the carbide. This helps progressive loaders get the case aligned. Dillon dies have a rather generous radius. The Lee sizing die has a pretty minimal radius.

This matters because you may want to size as far down the brass as possible and THAT'S why everybody is saying they use the Lee sizing die. The smaller radius gets a little farther down the brass. Not much, but just enough that it matters.

BTW, only carbide dies should be considered. And Hornady One Shot lube is the way to go even when carbide dies are used. The lube makes the process a lot easier on you and on the machine.

Richard

DWARREN123
11-23-2012, 02:11
I have reloaded 40 S&W/10mm with Lee 3 die sets and have had no problems but it was on a single stage press.
Should have no problem with any good die set.

Murphy's Law
11-23-2012, 07:02
Six years reloading my G23C with one single issue in ref to the bulge.

jmorris
11-23-2012, 07:58
Every one uses FL sizing dies for pistol rounds. The only neck only sizing dies are for bottle neck rounds, even then you don't use neck size rounds in semiautos, as a general rule.

A 550 is no different than any other press in that you can't resize the part in the shell plate or where the radius is cut into the mouth of the die. Some dies don't have much of a radius but are a pain when used with a progressive.

You can use an undersized die but I don't.

The case pro roll sizer is the solution I use but push through sizes will also work.

FWIW I don't have a problem with Glocked brass as much as "machine gunned" brass, they are quite loose.

SDGlock23
11-23-2012, 08:01
I've used the Lee and Dillon resizer for years without a problem, and I slightly prefer the Lee resizer, which is the only thing about Lee I like better than Dillon. A year or so ago I got the Lee bulge buster kit and it really lets you know which pieces were bulged, which isn't all of them, but a good number. The bulge buster kit isn't a requirement since in the years prior I never used one, but I do find myself using it all the time nowadays.

Oh and bulge isn't just a .40 related issue, it's an issue with every cartridge, it's just that some of the earlier Glock barrels were not as well supported as newer ones. There are still guns out there today with horrible case support, I had a S&W SD40 and it bulged ALL brass so bad I was actually afraid to shoot it and sold it.

Hoser
11-23-2012, 08:25
The case pro roll sizer is the solution I use

Me too. I have not had a brass issue since I started using it. I dont even bother to gauge my ammo anymore.

jmorris
11-23-2012, 09:36
For thoes that may not know what a casepro is or what they do, they have two dies that sandwich the case between them and rolls them between them. They form the case back to spec including the extractor grove. There are a few others out there, like the scharch that also roll size but none of the push through sizers can match them.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02110.jpg

I also automated mine so it doesn't add any time to my reloading process.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02028-1.jpg

vtducrider
11-23-2012, 09:41
Gen3 Glock23, Dillon 550B with Dillon .40 die here. I have had a lot of bulged casings. Most of these rounds shot okay, but I have had quite a few Failure-to-Feeds because of the problem. I am at the point of doing all the resizing/decapping first, and put the cases through my .40 case gauge. I am weeding out probably 5% of the casings. I am too cheap to get another set of dies. lol... Besides, I am mostly reloading 9mm and 45ACP now.

dkf
11-23-2012, 09:55
For thoes that may not know what a casepro is or what they do, they have two dies that sandwich the case between them and rolls them between them. They form the case back to spec including the extractor grove. There are a few others out there, like the scharch that also roll size but none of the push through sizers can match them.

I think if I had to spend that kind of money to get my ammo to fit in the chamber I would either get a barrel that isn't so tight or quit reloading altogether.

Nice machine but jesus guys throw money at this stuff.

SARDG
11-23-2012, 11:38
...Nice machine but jesus guys throw money at this stuff.
So do gals... :crying:

breacher1
11-23-2012, 12:07
reloading range brass shot from Glocks. some older some newer, on a Dillon SDB. the proprietary dies on this machine don't touch the barrel bulge so I need to chamber check every rd I plan on shooting thru my 40 conversion in my G32. I don't know the barrel brand because I bought it used and it has no markings but the chamber is tight.

I get about a 15 to 20% no go rate. my stock G35, Steyr M40. and Taurus PT740 all have generous chambers and will feed all the rejected rds w/o issue so nothing gets wasted.

I considered a Lee bulge buster setup but then I would have to put up another press just for that since it won't work with the SDB. so I decided to skip it and just go with what I have.

dkf
11-23-2012, 12:24
reloading range brass shot from Glocks. some older some newer, on a Dillon SDB. the proprietary dies on this machine don't touch the barrel bulge so I need to chamber check every rd I plan on shooting thru my 40 conversion in my G32. I don't know the barrel brand because I bought it used and it has no markings but the chamber is tight.

I get about a 15 to 20% no go rate. my stock G35, Steyr M40. and Taurus PT740 all have generous chambers and will feed all the rejected rds w/o issue so nothing gets wasted.

I considered a Lee bulge buster setup but then I would have to put up another press just for that since it won't work with the SDB. so I decided to skip it and just go with what I have.

In your case buying one of those cheap single stage Lee presses, bulge buster kit with the fcd would be a good idea. For $61 plus shipping (from midway but you can get it cheaper elsewhere) you could be setup and utilize that 15%-20%.

So do gals... :crying:I never met a gal who spent close to grand to roll form brass. Maybe I just have not been around enough.:dunno:

fredj338
11-23-2012, 12:31
Stay off over pressure loads, std Dillon dies work fine. I seem to have managed since the 40 first came out. Most guys are having issues shooting max + loads. Even the GLock chamber isn't that sloppy shooting normal pressure loads IME. If it is an issue, get a Lee carbide sizer, seems to size a bit firther down, or run them thru a push thru sizer or if yo uhave the money, get a roll sizer. My buddy went the roll sizer route, but it's a damned expensive way to go.

breacher1
11-23-2012, 12:35
In your case buying one of those cheap single stage Lee presses, bulge buster kit with the fcd would be a good idea. For $61 plus shipping (from midway but you can get it cheaper elsewhere) you could be setup and utilize that 15%-20%.

exactly - I found some good deals on ebay for cheap single stage presses but it's just another step that I don't wanna do. so the bulged rds get tossed in the bulged bucket and get shot out of any one of my 3 other 40 cal pistols. no big deal.
I only load light to medium target rds so I'm not at all worried about kabooms caused by the brass.

Hoser
11-23-2012, 23:12
I think if I had to spend that kind of money to get my ammo to fit in the chamber I would either get a barrel that isn't so tight or quit reloading altogether.

And your point is?

I work my ass off to be able to afford nice reloading equipment and nice firearms.

Shooting, hunting and reloading are my hobbies. Other than flying airplanes, its about all I do.

PBR Sailor
11-24-2012, 04:10
http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersized-reloading-dies/

It wil fit your RL550B and it works.

wdphillips
11-24-2012, 07:34
I had a lot of problems with bulged .40 brass. I bought 1000 once fired brass from someone on GT and ran into the bulge right away. Using Lee dies I had a good percentage failure to feed with my Lone Wolf barrel. Everything fed through my Glock stock barrel.

I finally went to running all my brass through the Lee Bulge buster. As my final reloading step I finish with the Lee FCD. The combination solved the failure to feed on my LW barrel. I also check every round with a case gauge.

Backfire_Tx
11-24-2012, 09:14
http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersized-reloading-dies/

It wil fit your RL550B and it works.

Thanks for the link. I have about 600 rounds i shot with lawman 165's (1150 fps) .40's. I'll chamber test them to see what percentage has the issue. I am very curious to see how many fall into this category.

F106 Fan
11-24-2012, 11:43
I had a lot of problems with bulged .40 brass. I bought 1000 once fired brass from someone on GT and ran into the bulge right away. Using Lee dies I had a good percentage failure to feed with my Lone Wolf barrel. Everything fed through my Glock stock barrel.

I finally went to running all my brass through the Lee Bulge buster. As my final reloading step I finish with the Lee FCD. The combination solved the failure to feed on my LW barrel. I also check every round with a case gauge.

Unless you are using lead bullets, why are you using an aftermarket barrel? If all your rounds fit the stock Glock barrel, why not just use it? Of all the aftermarket barrels to pick, the LWD probably has the tightest chamber. I put a KKM barrel on my G21SF simply because I shoot LSWC bullets and I didn't want to get involved in the 'lead bullets in Glock barrels' debate. All of my reloads fit both barrels.

I couldn't deal with a process that had as many steps as yours. All I want to do is dump the cleaned and lubed cases in the feeder and pull the handle. I don't mind checking the first and last rounds with a case gauge but dies are precision things. If the first round fits, they should all fit. The only reason for checking the last round is to be certain the die hasn't moved - highly unlikely! Now, it's true that the seating die needs a little maintenance when loading lead bullets. The Dillon seater is easy to clean without disturbing the adjustment.

I haven't started to load 40s. That will be coming up in January. All of my brass came from a Sig P229 and, from a cursory glance, it doesn't seem to have a bulge of any kind. I may still buy the Lee sizing die but I'll start with the Dillon set.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
11-24-2012, 11:51
Problem with the internet is that people read about a problem and then attribute their issue to some mythical problem they read about. Most the time its a setup issue or bad equipment.

Use what you already own. Adjust the die to touch the shell plate. Do not leave a gap. Period. If that doesn't work get a Lee sizing die. NOT a egw die. Adjust it to touch as well.

What people also don't understand is that the sizer is underside so it pulls the part of the case that it doesn't touch into spec.

If you set a GOOD Lee die up right you will not have a issue getting your ammo to run in a stock barrel. It will run smoothly in your elongated as well. Promise.

F106 Fan
11-24-2012, 11:51

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02028-1.jpg

That's a nice piece of work!

Care to post details on the motor, reducer and arm?

I don't expect to need a roll sizer for 40s when I start reloading them in January but it's nice to know that it is available and that automation can be added.

Thanks for posting!

Richard

F106 Fan
11-24-2012, 12:23

I haven't started to load 40 S&W but I am sitting on 4500 pieces of brass. That's 90 boxes that we have shot over the past two years. So, 90 boxes at around $20/box (after taxes) comes to $1800 that we have already spent.

On my worst day, I can load for 1/2 that amount so the savings in reloading just the brass we already have comes to around $900. I can afford to buy anything I need/want for that kind of money. I have already paid for the presses by reloading .45 ACP, 9mm and .223. The 40 process is just along for the ride.

Early next year we will have two additional P229s and I expect the round count to increase substantially.

Richard

PBR Sailor
11-24-2012, 13:18
Problem with the internet is that people read about a problem and then attribute their issue to some mythical problem they read about. Most the time its a setup issue or bad equipment.

Use what you already own. Adjust the die to touch the shell plate. Do not leave a gap. Period. If that doesn't work get a Lee sizing die. NOT a egw die. Adjust it to touch as well.

What people also don't understand is that the sizer is underside so it pulls the part of the case that it doesn't touch into spec.

If you set a GOOD Lee die up right you will not have a issue getting your ammo to run in a stock barrel. It will run smoothly in your elongated as well. Promise.

The EGW die is made by Lee.

wdphillips
11-24-2012, 16:03
Unless you are using lead bullets, why are you using an aftermarket barrel? If all your rounds fit the stock Glock barrel, why not just use it? Of all the aftermarket barrels to pick, the LWD probably has the tightest chamber. I put a KKM barrel on my G21SF simply because I shoot LSWC bullets and I didn't want to get involved in the 'lead bullets in Glock barrels' debate. All of my reloads fit both barrels.

I couldn't deal with a process that had as many steps as yours. All I want to do is dump the cleaned and lubed cases in the feeder and pull the handle. I don't mind checking the first and last rounds with a case gauge but dies are precision things. If the first round fits, they should all fit. The only reason for checking the last round is to be certain the die hasn't moved - highly unlikely! Now, it's true that the seating die needs a little maintenance when loading lead bullets. The Dillon seater is easy to clean without disturbing the adjustment.

I haven't started to load 40s. That will be coming up in January. All of my brass came from a Sig P229 and, from a cursory glance, it doesn't seem to have a bulge of any kind. I may still buy the Lee sizing die but I'll start with the Dillon set.

Richard

Some people reload to shoot, other shoot to reload. I fall into the later. I enjoy the process and trouble shooting of reloading. Sorry, that is just me.

If my reloading process is good enough for my LW barrel, my reloading process meets my criterion. And, I know that my reloads will cycle through my all the Glocks in my family, should they need to.

BTW I have LW barrels for all of my Glocks. But that is just me also.

Colorado4Wheel
11-24-2012, 21:52
The EGW die is made by Lee.

I know that. Issue is its undersized. Totally unneeded in a Glock with a stock barrel. It makes the press run harder. You simply don't need it.

shotgunred
11-25-2012, 19:37
My G23 was the 429 one sold. Funny thing I manage just fine with standard dies. I am still using that same old 20 something year old sizing die to make ammo for that same old 20 something year old pistol.

dkf
11-25-2012, 20:14
And your point is?

I work my ass off to be able to afford nice reloading equipment and nice firearms.

Shooting, hunting and reloading are my hobbies. Other than flying airplanes, its about all I do.

Sorry didn't mean to get anyone all butthurt.

You want to spend a grand on a roll sizer go right ahead. I suppose some people just like equipment.

Colorado4Wheel
11-25-2012, 23:47
My G23 was the 429 one sold. Funny thing I manage just fine with standard dies. I am still using that same old 20 something year old sizing die to make ammo for that same old 20 something year old pistol.

Impossible. First you need a push through die to fix the brass before you load it the first time. Then you need a new barrel to prevent it from bulging as bad. Then you need a EGW die to get the brass properly sized from that point forward. Or you could just roll size it. I call BS on loading .40 with out all that stuff.

shotgunred
11-26-2012, 06:48
If you can't afford all that fancy stuff you just have to depend on dumb luck.:embarassed:

xdmikey
11-26-2012, 06:57
I use the lee push through die system since I use lwd barrels and I buy all mybrass from here, primarily citizen of dreams, Iirc.

Hoser
11-26-2012, 08:57
You want to spend a grand on a roll sizer go right ahead. I suppose some people just like equipment.

Not butt hurt at all.

Roll sizers are not a grand. I think I got mine for $350-400 12-13 years ago.

I like my firearms to run. Roll sizing my brass only puts the odds in my favor that they will. It is a "cant hurt might help" kind of a thing.

unclebob
11-26-2012, 09:39
Not butt hurt at all.

Roll sizers are not a grand. I think I got mine for $350-400 12-13 years ago.

I like my firearms to run. Roll sizing my brass only puts the odds in my favor that they will. It is a "cant hurt might help" kind of a thing.

http://casepro100.com/

They went up in price.

PBR Sailor
11-26-2012, 09:50
Ouch! I thought I wanted a roller sizer until I saw the price. I am going to stick with my undersized sizing die.

dkf
11-26-2012, 11:45
http://casepro100.com/

They went up in price.

That is where I got the prices from. Figured $700shipped for the roll sizer, plus case feeder, any additional dies (duplex die best deal), any automation and it brings the price up in the $1000 range plus or minus.

Backfire_Tx
11-26-2012, 18:20

Thanks More good advice. That will be my 1st choice - adjust the setup correctly - no gap. Lee sizing die will work in Dillon 550b correct?

unclebob
11-26-2012, 18:43
Thanks More good advice. That will be my 1st choice - adjust the setup correctly - no gap. Lee sizing die will work in Dillon 550b correct?
Yes they will work.

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2012, 20:08

After you have the die touching, put a case in the station, raise the toolhead with shell in the die tighten the lockout.

Yes, Lee will work fine but you need the above step to be sure it is centered.

shotgunred
11-26-2012, 21:26
The lee sizing die and decaping pin design is probably the best designed tool the Lees have made. The only non Dillon die I use is the Lee sizing die in 40 SW.

Backfire_Tx
11-26-2012, 21:27
After you have the die touching, put a case in the station, raise the toolhead with shell in the die tighten the lockout.

Yes, Lee will work fine but you need the above step to be sure it is centered.

Got it. Now all i have to do is buy the bugger. My Christmas gift to myself. Thanks.