Took the red dot off my Mk III. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Took the red dot off my Mk III.

Grabbrass
11-22-2012, 21:34
I've had a Millett SP1 on my Mk III Hunter since just after I bought it about 5 years ago. This week, I took it off. It was boring to shoot, felt top-heavy, and despite what others say about red dots, it doesn't seem to get me on target quicker - just the opposite. With the factory iron sights (notch in the back, hi-viz thingy up front) I'm on the target more quickly, though not precisely. I can make the soda can dance all day. I'm happy. With the red dot, its constant jittering bothers me and I tend to try to correct to a degree of precision that I don't need in freehand pistol shooting. If punching a single hole at 25y is my goal, I should get my rifle. Ya know what I'm saying?

If I were trying to shoot in a bullseye match then maybe it'd be better having it on there ... but if I were shooting in a bullseye match I'd probably be using something better than a Millett SP1 (which is not a bad red dot for its price).

I'm holding onto the SP1, to put on a 10/22 carbine. Maybe it'll work better for me there.

Anyone else come back to iron sights after putting a red dot on their pistol?

ede
11-23-2012, 04:02
I've got CMores on quite a few pistols and a 1522 and never took one off. I might of bought the same pistol to use iron sights. Have EO Techs on a couple rifles and never wanted to take them off either.

Grabbrass
11-23-2012, 15:13
I've got CMores on quite a few pistols and a 1522 and never took one off. I might of bought the same pistol to use iron sights. Have EO Techs on a couple rifles and never wanted to take them off either.

Those are rather high-end, open design red dots. I think I might like something like that considerably more than the 30mm tube style Millett SP1. Question is, do I want to spend as much on an optic sight as I spent on the gun itself? Not saying that would be a bad thing, just ... well for that kind of money I could buy another gun.

mongo356
11-23-2012, 23:55
Im thinking of putting a primary arms on a mkiii.

Had it on a 10/22 but with an all aluminum receiver, dot & mount i think it was shifting poa in cold weather. It turned cold today and i missed 5 for 5 squirrels. Figured something was up took it back to the truck and it was hitting about 1-1/2" low left at 25yrd.

Just a theory right now....may be the dot as well.

ede
11-24-2012, 11:18
Just counted and I have CMores on 6 pistols, AR1522, two EO Techs on ARs and a MatchDot UltraDot on a TacSol XRing and a CMore on wifes .22 Steel pistol. I bought an AimPoint clone for around 90$ for my 1522 and it quit working after about 30 minutes of use. That's my last time spending money on cheap optics. I know at times it looks better to spend less on optics and get another gun but I think in the long run you're ahead going with good stuff. I get a little bit of a discount on the CMores but the discount isn't what made me buy the CMores.

harleypilot
12-01-2012, 04:53
I have a 30mm Ultra Dot on my Mk III. I have had a couple of others in the past on a Mk II and on a S&W .38 I used for PPC.
I never had a single problem with any of them. They always held zero perfectly and never broke.
I have seen them mounted on the slides of 1911 .45s, and the owners also said they had no problems.

Jim

NailShooter
12-09-2012, 23:59
.... It turned cold today and i missed 5 for 5 squirrels. Figured something was up took it back to the truck and it was hitting about 1-1/2" low left at 25yrd.

Just a theory right now....may be the dot as well.

Sometimes changing brands of ammo will give a diff point of impact but usually not quite that much. I have a few 22 pistols with dots and try to run the same ammo as what I sighted them in with (same 500 rd box if possible) for varmint control.

Nail

jtp0828
12-24-2012, 14:22
I always laugh at big huge red dots on little mark 3s. However I recently found a style that I am liking. Have you tried the Micros? I am using a doctor, but the delta point and trijicon are really nice. They get on point fast and knock squirrels clean out at 25 and further!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)