GSSF San Antonio... Dec 1st and 2nd [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GSSF San Antonio... Dec 1st and 2nd

PettyOfficer
11-22-2012, 21:31
Who's heading to SA on the 1st?

I'm looking to head to my first outdoor event, hope to hit all the plates and meet a few folks.

I'll probably drive in from Houston Friday night and stay at a friends house and be at the range at 8:30 to register (should I get there earlier to be in line?).

What's the setup like at the range? Do they have multitude of bays or just a few?

How many shooters/entries were there last year? I didn't see a S-TX in the '12 Report for the '11-'12 # of entries, is this the first year?

I'm rather excited if ya can't tell!

I've read through the report, but I can't seem to figure out how many rounds I'd need for each entry. I was thinking of 3-5 entries and have no idea how many rounds to bring.

If somebody wants to pay for two of my entries, ill let you sign me in as a new member/first time shooter to get yourself an extra entry for the drawing :).

Is there anywhere near the range for lunch or should I bring my own?

Anything else I should be asking? I hope to meet some of my fellow Lone Star glockers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ede
11-23-2012, 02:48
Wish I could say I am, but I'm not. Frustrating for me because I'll be in Houston for the next two weeks but can't make the match.

TK-421
11-23-2012, 02:55
I definitely would if I wasn't flat broke. Just spent my last pennies buying some ammo so I can have my home defense gun loaded, it's been empty the last few weeks. :crying:

But hopefully someone will finally call me back and give me an interview, so I can start participating in 2013.

Hope you have fun, I can't wait for my first time shooting. For the first time, I think I've read between 100 and 150 rounds per event you plan to shoot, but I could be off by a bit, my memory is notoriously horrible. I say go on the safe side, bring 200 per event, use it as an excuse to buy more ammo, if you don't have enough stockpiled.

James5m
11-23-2012, 04:31
I'll probably drive in from Houston Friday night and stay at a friends house and be at the range at 8:30 to register (should I get there earlier to be in line?).I would preregister for the match if I were you. So you can avoid the wait in line

How many shooters/entries were there last year?302 in 2011 I didn't see a S-TX in the '12 Report for the '11-'12 # of entries, is this the first year?

I've read through the report, but I can't seem to figure out how many rounds I'd need for each entry. I was thinking of 3-5 entries and have no idea how many rounds to bring.150
rounds for each division you intend to shoot

Can't answer your other questions HTH

Don At PC
11-23-2012, 06:26
My wife and I had fully intended to go, even had all Hotel Reservations confirmed for a nice 6 day trip together but due to circumstances beyond my control we have cancelled the trip. Maybe next year.

Hope everyone has a great time. I have shot this match several years but missed last year and now have to miss this year.

Don

lethal tupperwa
11-23-2012, 06:44
what James said,
Preregister.

also since this is your first make Sure

to sign up for the new shooters drawing.

One of the new shooters at that match WILL WIN a new Glock.

malladus
11-23-2012, 07:38
I've been shooting this match for a couple years now. Not sure I have all the answers, but here's what I know. Also I will be wearing a Ouray Search and Rescue hat and will be shooting both days (7-entries) so say hi if you see me.

malladus Who's headiing to SA on the 1st?

I'm looking to head to my first outdoor event, hope to hit all the plates and meet a few folks.

I'll probably drive in from Houston Friday night and stay at a friends house and be at the range at 8:30 to register (should I get there earlier to be in line?).

I think it was already said, but pre-register. Registration opens at 9am, I did the walk up thing the first year I shot the match, but never again. The registration area is a small trailer with one door next to the range store/office. It's a pain to get in and out of in a fast manner so the line drags. If you preregister they usually have your stickers outside and all you have to do is sign your release. You still need to go in to sign up for the new shooter gun, but if you forget you can do it anytime during the match.

They usually have the prereg stickers out and will start passing them out earlier then 9 which gives you a little extra time to hit the various stages and sign up early or walk the range some before guns go hot.

Also if you preregister you can wave the walk up registeration fee, but if you still go the walk up route, PM me and I will forward you Glock match email that gets them to wave the $10 walk up fee.

What's the setup like at the range? Do they have multitude of bays or just a few?

The match is hosted by two seperate clubs at the range and the range is run by several clubs. The Glock the plates is on the east east end right down from the office and registration trailer.

The Glock the plates stations has a covered sign up area and backs up to the main parking area so you can park and walk a short distance. There is a covered area at the sign in area where you can sit and wait until you are called to the line. They run two plate racks and the wait isn't usually that long. If you get the left hand rack it sometimes with drop the first plate on the left if you hit the one next two it. So watch the shooters and see how its acting. The right hand rack runs normal all the time. The have a table at the firing line for each rack so you can lay your stuff out. The club that runs the plate rack is really laid back and fun to talk too if you get some time.

The 5to GLock and GLock M are at the far west end of the range, follow the dirt road behind the club past a couple rifle bays and into a privacy fences area. This club does more USPA style shooting. They usually have 3 of each stage set up, but usually only use the third of each one for emergency crowd releif. Each area has a covered area for sign in. Becareful because they store their extra target stands under the roofs and if you aren't careful you can get a cool new scar.

All shooting positions are usually in the open, with a shooters box and two barrels. They have plenty of safe areas scattered around andboth clubs have been doing this for awhile so things tend to run smooth. The seem to use the same arrangements for the targets every year which tend to be the longer set ups so take your time and aim.

How many shooters/entries were there last year? I didn't see a S-TX in the '12 Report for the '11-'12 # of entries, is this the first year?

I beleive they have averaged over 300 if not close to 400 most years. Always seems to be a good crowd, any they usually make a good chunk of entries towards maximizing the random guns and most amateur divisons will have enough shooters so the 1st places can get the performance gun award and some cash for 2nd and sometimes 3rd

I've read through the report, but I can't seem to figure out how many rounds I'd need for each entry. I was thinking of 3-5 entries and have no idea how many rounds to bring.

For each non-major sub entry the minimum round count is:

3 x 10 = 30 for GLock M
3 x 9 = 27 for 5 to Glock
4 x 6 = 24 for Glock the plates
total count = 81 rounds if you don't miss, a safer bet is:

11 rounds per a run
10 runs = 110 rounds per an entry

for major sub you need:

7 rounds per a run
10 runs = 70 rounds for that one entry

Also its good to bring a little extra incase you have to do a reshoot.

I shoot 7 entries (max for amateures) and I will bring:

4 entries in 9mm = 600 rounds 9mm
2 entries in 45 (one is submajor) = 300 rounds 45 (I usually lend my G30 to someone to shoot n major sub)
1 entry in 45 GAP = 200 rounds

Some folks will bring the bare minimum others need little carts, so use you judgement on what you feel like. But taking atleast 110 per an entry is a safe bet.

If somebody wants to pay for two of my entries, ill let you sign me in as a new member/first time shooter to get yourself an extra entry for the drawing :).

Is there anywhere near the range for lunch or should I bring my own?

The range is kind of out in the middle of somewhere and nowhere. Not really any places that are relatively close other then some mexican place near where you turn to head from the country road to the road to the range. The range does usually have sacked lunches for sale at the range office at lunch. Usually its a BBQ sandwich, chips, pickle, and a drink for $5 or so.

I highly suggest you bring a few snacks and some bottled water. The office sales some, but its easier to bring your own stash and not have to trek back and forth to get some as you need it.

Anything else I should be asking? I hope to meet some of my fellow Lone Star glockers.

The range does have a little shop/office that sales some odds and ends. I think they still were saling ammo last year, but like all ranges the price and availability are subject to change without notice.

There is usually a vendor there from a local gunshop who is also a member of the GSSF and they will have Glock stuff and some other odds and ends for sale.

Glock will have the armorer their as well.

The two clubs that run the match are at opposite ends of the facility so if you are carrying a lot of stuff its a hard walk. They do have plenty of parking near each area though that is fairly close to the shooting bays so you can easiely shuttle back and forth with your vehicle. If it rains though beaware the USPSA clubs parking lot is that lovely texas red loam sand which makes it quite fun to drive in if it gets too wet.

Clem
11-23-2012, 09:19
Don - sad to hear you & Karen will not be making the trip. Hope everything is OK & we see y'all down the road soon. Please tell everyone HI from us.

Malladus - excellent reply with tons of info for those who haven't shot with us in SA. One correction - for the first time in a decade, Donna and I will not be running the vendor table at the match. So, we'll be able to shoot Saturday afternoon (after work) and all day Sunday. Unsure if a replacement vendor has been lined up. Looking forward to seeing you and a bunch more friends! Travel safe & take care.

Tony

Ranger54
11-23-2012, 09:42
Hey all, will be heading down Friday afternoon from beautiful downtown Taylor, well, actually a bit south of downtown and have a hotel room for Fri and Sat nights. Due to many circumstances, have not been shooting much, so, will probably totally suck. Will try to finish my four divisions Saturday, then head back Sun morn. May or may not hit the SAXET show Sun.

Clem, any dinner plans yet?

malladus
11-23-2012, 09:47
Looking forward to seeing everyone as well. The father in law, Wyatt, and some friends will be heading down Friday. Were even bringing a new shooter or three hopefully. Is there going to be a GT get together?

malladus

PettyOfficer
11-23-2012, 10:31
Thanks for all the replies.. I have more questions but not the time to ask... I'll be back on later.

Cheers!

SARDG
11-23-2012, 10:32
Looking forward to seeing everyone as well. The father in law, Wyatt, and some friends will be heading down Friday...

malladus
Good luck to you and Norm and friends. I won't be making that match this year - I found that to be a heck of a drive from Tampa area. At least I was able to stay with and impose on friends last year.

PettyOfficer
11-23-2012, 12:02
First new question: the match is a week away, is it too late to pre-register? Just fax it?

Second question: I could do a GT dinner on Saturday but not Friday, anybody up for that? Mrs PettyOfficer might learn a thing or two from others and think that I'm less of a weirdo (she grew up in Illinois so I apologize in advance)

SARDG
11-23-2012, 12:51
First new question: the match is a week away, is it too late to pre-register? Just fax it?
Pre-register up to noon on the Wednesday before the match. You may FAX, e-mail, or submit online - none of which is secure!

Keyhole
11-23-2012, 13:02
I'll be there. Looking forward to it!

PettyOfficer
11-23-2012, 16:07
I'm 6'5" with a big belly and big laugh and will probably be wearing a gray Navy Tshirt unless its too cold and I'd have on a sweater or coat.

comeandtakeit05
11-25-2012, 22:20
I'll be coming down from Arlington on Friday night with a friend. It will be my first GSSF shoot. Hoping to shoot civilian and competition with my Gen 4 17. Anyone have any tips for a noob?

misunderestimated
11-26-2012, 04:06
I'll be coming down from Arlington on Friday night with a friend. It will be my first GSSF shoot. Hoping to shoot civilian and competition with my Gen 4 17. Anyone have any tips for a noob?

My best advice for anybody shooting a GSSF event is slow down.
Slower is smoother
and
smoother is faster

And all thought its been covered thoroughly pre register l

PettyOfficer
11-27-2012, 19:55
I pre-registered today. Tomorrow is the deadline.

A fella shot 500 at my indoor event tonight, and he'll be there, sorry for the bad news :)

malladus
11-28-2012, 17:19
I pre-registered today. Tomorrow is the deadline.

A fella shot 500 at my indoor event tonight, and he'll be there, sorry for the bad news :)

Be interesting to see if that correlates to good in outdoor.

malladus

Comrade Bork
11-28-2012, 17:36
This match went something like 350 last year.

It might be 400+ this time.

IT IS DECEMBER.

YOU WILL NOT HAVE MUCH DAYLIGHT TO PLAY IN THERE.

If you are going to shoot San Antone',

DO NOT JUST SIT ON YOUR ASSETS AND LET EVERYONE ELSE, INCLUDING THE RANGE OFFICERS, DO THE WORK.

If you are not "up" or on deck, grab a strip of pasters. Make SURE a given target has been scored, then paste it.

On the Glock M, go ahead and reset the poppers.

If bullets are not actually going downrange, whatever is going on in the shooting bay instead usually can and should be sped up.

If an RO has to so much as paste one bullet hole or reset one Popper, you shooters are taking the chance of having to finish your match by car headlights.

Make no mistake.

The San Antone' match HAS been finished by headlights in years past, in years when this match was much, much smaller than it is now!

Ranger54
11-29-2012, 09:22
Comrade Bork, that advice is sooooooo spot on. Generally, I only shoot Texas matches, and most just stand around and BS. My usual is to grab pasters and go down to the targets as soon as the range is declared safe ahead of the RO and be prepared to paste as soon as he/she scores. And I'm the old guy, 65 this Jan. The younger guys are the ones I see standing around and *****ing about how slow it is!

Clem
11-29-2012, 09:46
Due to prior commitments with my son, I'll be unable to arrange / attend any dinner plans for Friday or Saturday nights.

Anyone else wanting to set up a time / place for GTers to gather is more than welcome to do so.

Thanks. Tony.

PettyOfficer
11-29-2012, 15:31
Be interesting to see if that correlates to good in outdoor.

malladus

Probably not... Alternative COF of 3,5,7,10 and 15 yards... :) just trying to psych y'all out.

jonboy20
11-29-2012, 19:52
I will be there with a few buddies. I am not shooting this time but they are.

Ranger54
11-30-2012, 08:11
jonboy20, if you can, shoot, it's a relatively easy match, no draw, no mag change, no movement. Just fun!

PettyOfficer
11-30-2012, 20:01
So correct me if I'm wrong:

The first thing I do after I get my entry stickers is to haul *** to each station and get my stickers placed so I can come and go as necessary and get top placement in the next squad when I'm ready, right?

I'll probably be there near 8am... Will that be too late? What time do people start lining up to get their entries?

I can worry about watching and learning after I get my name/stickers on the lists, I can just decline squading if I'm not ready, right?

Any other 'first things first' advice?

I also want to see the armorer about my extractor and the Brass To Face problem my Gen4 17 has... Any advice on getting through that quickly? I can always go shoot my 30 while its 'in the shop'... Do you tip the armorer, or is a genuine 'thank you' enough?

I'll have on a black Nike running hat, a gray NAVY shirt and blue jeans. I'm also 6'5" and hard to miss.. Come say hello, I might be pasting targets or taking a rest in my green and white folding chair.

On a other note: fellow new shooters!!!!!

Any other new shooter want to go in with me and sign each other up to double our entries to the "new shooter pistol drawing"? I.e. I "bring" you as a new shooter and sign myself up as a new shooter, and you "bring me" and sign yourself up as well? Please read section 190.80 on pages 26 and 27 in the 2012 Glock Report.

jonboy20
11-30-2012, 21:31
Alright, ranger talked me into it. Paperwork filled out. Glad i saved email so I can save the $10 extra fee. I will be the guy who does not shoot well wearing a UT hat popping his GSSF cherry.

SARDG
11-30-2012, 21:36
So correct me if I'm wrong:

The first thing I do after I get my entry stickers is to haul *** to each station and get my stickers placed so I can come and go as necessary and get top placement in the next squad when I'm ready, right?
You sign in at an M, a 5 and a Plates stage, then go to or stay at a stage that you want to shoot. Stickers don't exchange hands until you put an 'X' by your name on the sign-in sheet and are going to stay and shoot that stage. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE TREES to place your stickered scoresheet on as you are squadded (about 8-10 entries at a time). Not 8-10 shooters with multiple entries; 10 entries could be 5 shooters. You are SUPPOSED TO BE squadded by your ORIGINAL sign-in time. PERIOD!!

I'll probably be there near 8am... Will that be too late? What time do people start lining up to get their entries?
Since I RO every match where the local club allows it, I get there at 0800 for the RO briefing - and I think that's riduculously early. However... I suppose people start lining up as soon as club gates open so that they can stand in line. 0800 is NOT too late.

I can worry about watching and learning after I get my name/stickers on the lists, I can just decline squading if I'm not ready, right?
Well yes, conceiveably - but just don't put an 'X' next to your name untill you are comfortable and have observed enough. It may take some time after you X your name before you shoot, as well.

Any other 'first things first' advice?

I also want to see the armorer about my extractor and the Brass To Face problem my Gen4 17 has... Any advice on getting through that quickly? I can always go shoot my 30 while its 'in the shop'... Do you tip the armorer, or is a genuine 'thank you' enough?
Most of the time the Armorers aren't all that busy that you can't find an opportunity to take the gun to them and watch if you like. NO TIPPING. They are factory armorers, there for this service. A heart-felt thanks is always good.

I'll have on a black Nike running hat, a gray NAVY shirt and blue jeans. I'm also 6'5" and hard to miss.. Come say hello, I might be pasting targets or taking a rest in my green and white folding chair.

On a other note: fellow new shooters!!!!!

Any other new shooter want to go in with me and sign each other up to double our entries to the "new shooter pistol drawing"? I.e. I "bring" you as a new shooter and sign myself up as a new shooter, and you "bring me" and sign yourself up as well? Please read section 190.80 on pages 26 and 27 in the 2012 Glock Report.

------

SARDG
11-30-2012, 21:38
Alright, ranger talked me into it. Paperwork filled out. Glad i saved email so I can save the $10 extra fee. I will be the guy who does not shoot well wearing a UT hat popping his GSSF cherry.
Yeah, Ranger54 is a sweet talker... :tongueout:

malladus
11-30-2012, 22:54
Well got in to town around 5:30, met some friends for dinner at the Salt Lick in Driftwood and just got back in. Mags are loaded, extra ammo packed, and guns are clea..., well the guns are packed and ready to go as well. Pre-registered so all I got to do is show up in the morning, get my stickers and start shooting.

malladus

PettyOfficer
12-01-2012, 05:05
Rise and shine!!!
It's 6am... Get your bunks squared away, and get some breakfast, its going to be a great day!!!

:)... Yeah, I didn't sleep well... Too excited.

Good thing I'll get there to sign in at all 3 stages early... Can drop off the 17 and take a short nap even.

misunderestimated
12-01-2012, 08:40
Best of Luck to everyone , And I hope for clear weather for shooting

malladus
12-01-2012, 16:13
Well survived the first day. Saw a few GT regulars and pettyofficer. Shot 4 entries today, not setting any records but for two of them I shot personnel best times for this match. Got some strange looks for shooting my G30 in unlimited as warmup for major sub. I think everyone was expecting some super duper gun and I pop out a stock G30.

The setups are really deep and I saw lots of folks shooting slower then normal based on other matches I've been at this year. Not sure if there was a timer issue, but I notice that the glock M raw times for 7 entries I looked at for friends today were slower then the 5 to Glock raw times. Of course that setup for glock M is deep and wide.

I got 3 more entries to shoot tomorrow so we will see. I know they said they had 200-230+ pre-registrations (a club record), and at about noon they had 240 registrations on the ranges shooting, and 60-80 pre-registrations hadn't shown up yet.

malladus

jonboy20
12-01-2012, 16:21
Had a great day at the event......a big thanks to the clubs and GSSF for putting this on. I even met Ranger by accident.

Some things I learned:

Go slow and take your time. I saw a lot of people speed shooting and missing a lot.

Don't be afraid to ask seasoned members for help or advice. Almost everyone was extremely friendly.

Bring more than 100 rounds with you. I suck at the plates. I used all my ammo on the first 3 strings and could not shoot the 4th.

So I doubt I will place high in this match but maybe I will win the random new member drawing.

-JB

jonboy20
12-01-2012, 16:24
I know they said they had 200-230+ pre-registrations (a club record), and at about noon they had 240 registrations on the ranges shooting, and 60-80 pre-registrations hadn't shown up yet.

malladus

I was like second or third to register at the door and I was 236.

malladus
12-01-2012, 16:47
I saw stickers on the plates in the 280s so should be a good random prize pool, which is probably my only hope this match.

malladus

Ranger54
12-01-2012, 17:59
Well, as stated, a good day though my shooting was definately on the "sux big time" side, have not been shooting a lot lately. I may have set a couple personal worst! But still had fun as always. Met PettyOfficer and Jonboy, missed Malladus and he is hard to miss! Finshed 4 categories before noon, shooting 2+2 on GlockM, shot all 4 at once on 5 to Glock, no one waiting as I was first on that bay, and on plates, perhaps for efficiency, faster that walking back and coming back. It was the ROs call.

Really noted that all stages were well run and efficient. By the time registration started the ROs were all on station and ready for sign ins!

PettyOfficer
12-01-2012, 18:01
I'm back is Houston.. Would have liked a better way to close out my first trip: had a reshoot! Doh! I unloaded 7 rounds of my Major Sub like it was SubCompact on my very last shoot of the night (Glock M)..

Things I learned:

I jerk my trigger, thanks to the ROs I don't know if I ever would have found that so easily. My dry fire practice is very slow and deliberate, but reality is very different.

Don't watch the masters shoot!!!!! I shot my first two divisions on my first ever Glock the Plates very well! A few times in the low 6s (and many higher) and no missed plates. Then I watched a Master shoot very fast and I thought I'd tried to bring my game up... Not only was I excited after watching him, but 6s is fast and I thought I shot well, I felt that with that warm up under my belt I could try a little faster: this is where I learned 2 things.

1) yeah, I was jerking my trigger pull (a huge thanks to the seasoned RO who talked me through it)
2) Dont shoot Major Sub until you feel like the king at Heavy Metal!! On the Plates, those 4 extra rounds are life and death!

I had fun on 5 to Glock but on Glock M the RO was not a GSSF type, and he didn't care about the squading procedure. I was there very early and was the first person to sign the sheet. I walked up, checked the box next to my name, and sat there for 20+ minutes wondering why there was a countless flow of forms on the tree: he wasn't squading, just taking forms first come, first serve! I grabbed one of the Glock officials and he squared that away after about 20 minutes... So I finally got squared, 4 entries. I shot two and was told there would be three shooters after me (this was not the case). I received an urgent text message and missed call/voice mail from work and stepped behind a shed to listen and they called me up again. I was away less than 5 minutes and missed my spot. They put me at the end of the squad - okay, I guess, but they must have been squading every single person who was checked in, because it was over an hour until I got back on the line...

That was very frustrating and on my 4th divisions is where I fouled up and needed a reshoot... The main reason I was able to pull that off? They guy who didn't care about squading also didn't care about forms so I had to put my sticker on them myself, and this being my first time I did NOT grab the major sub, so it was hot, I was tired after having been there 7+ hours and I shot like a full 10 round string instead of 7 rounds (only needing 5 for Glock M). When my gun locked back, I thought my score was screwed... But got lucky on a technicality.

If anybody is offended, don't be, I was still frustrated at my boneheaded move and didn't shoot well with even a miss.. I wasn't expecting to win anything in Major Sub going into Glock M, not after my lesson learned on the Plates (leaving the, standing is a no-no score wise).

In the end, I learned a few things, met a few people, particularly Malladus and Ranger and even ran into a few folks I recognized from my Indoor shoots. I also met Chad, but I forgot his GT username, something ending in 1911, another great guy.

I consider this a very successful first outdoor shoot: I even found another new shooter to double up on the drawing: I signed him in and he signed me in - we each got two entries!

PettyOfficer
12-01-2012, 18:08
I also used the services of the Glock Armorers!! Thanks guys! They pulled out my extractor and knew immediately why it was throwing brass into my face. Something about injection moulding and sometimes the heat distribution not being just right and the piece being just a little too big.. So I got a new extractor and went on my way, without eating any more brass!

Gen4 G17
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/4b8925c1b32c06d8f4e26ab336998d00_zpsfe25828b.jpg

My extractor, see the scratches? Recommended solution: lightly file both of the flat sides (but I got a new one anyways).
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/616e93d28ca780979f214084b48dca7d_zps1defbe6e.jpg

My new favorite armorers: I'm sorry, I didnt get their names.
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/0ecdf970f8a31cd79238bd9e2b1e1569_zpsdd2771c5.jpg

PettyOfficer
12-01-2012, 18:11
Glock the Plates (east end near entrance)
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/f6a11085fa64c1901c5d35d380e11b0e_zpsb99e92e1.jpg

5 to Glock
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/0d8675e986ac8e5fa58fb4fdc0548793_zpsba7753c4.jpg

Glock M
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/f1fc21a832a53b660c3f19aa8ee96f84_zps55abb632.jpg

That's all my photos this time! I enjoyed myself and enjoyed meeting a few of you! I popped my outdoor cherry!!!!

PettyOfficer
12-01-2012, 18:38
I was so proud of those 2 6s that I shot in my Subcompact division.
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/CB281149-79AB-4CDB-B18D-09FCA74B6B7E-3398-0000047B69DB2B00_zps990c9e14.jpg

And then I watched a master and increased my speed... Had I shot Heavy Metal I would have had a few more rounds to nail those last 3 plates I left standing... Instead of click!
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/893605D7-4611-4D2A-AFE2-A2B6CE96CD8C-3398-0000047B73D5D841_zpse0411b58.jpg

Lastly, I felt great about this one particular 5 to Glock division, MajorSub. (I really shoot my G30 better than my 9mm!)
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/30061844-B705-4DA6-A069-CE8DD0C83D48-3398-0000047B7D66F348_zpse4feda4c.jpg
Those times are a bit misleading, one shot per target (5 total), but still good shot placement (my best shot placement of all 4 divisions shot).

PettyOfficer
12-01-2012, 18:42
Yeah, Ranger54 is a sweet talker... :tongueout:

Yeah, if you're ever lonely at a shoot, saddle up next to Ranger for robust conversation. Extremely friendly guy!

SARDG
12-01-2012, 19:33
I also used the services of the Glock Armorers!! Thanks guys! They pulled out my extractor and knew immediately why it was throwing brass into my face. Something about injection moulding and sometimes the heat distribution not being just right and the piece being just a little too big.. So I got a new extractor and went on my way, without eating any more brass!
Glock extractors are MIM, Metal Injection Molding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding

SARDG
12-01-2012, 19:54
...I had fun on 5 to Glock but on Glock M the RO was not a GSSF type, and he didn't care about the squading procedure... ...I grabbed one of the Glock officials and he squared that away after about 20 minutes...
Exactly what you should have done. If the RO stuck with the proper sqadding procedure after the official visit, you likely saved other shooters many hours this weekend.

...So I finally got squared, 4 entries. I shot two and was told there would be three shooters after me (this was not the case). I received an urgent text message and missed call/voice mail from work and stepped behind a shed to listen and they called me up again. I was away less than 5 minutes and missed my spot. They put me at the end of the squad - okay, I guess, but they must have been squading every single person who was checked in, because it was over an hour until I got back on the line...
If you're not there when called, you lose, and I would also put you at the end and call you once at the end. If the tree was full (assuming use of a tree), there would be 12 ENTRIES on it (not 12 shooters with multiple entries). It takes approx 5 minutes per entry so a full tree takes an hour to get through. That's the way a shooter can judge wait time.

PettyOfficer
12-01-2012, 21:05
If you're not there when called, you lose, and I would also put you at the end and call you once at the end. If the tree was full (assuming use of a tree), there would be 12 ENTRIES on it (not 12 shooters with multiple entries). It takes approx 5 minutes per entry so a full tree takes an hour to get through. That's the way a shooter can judge wait time.
No complaints about being at the end of the squad for my 2nd pass through, but it took over an hour AFTER I missed my spot... Way too many people in the squad!

SARDG
12-01-2012, 21:23
...Way too many people in the squad!
Remember, squads aren't 'counted' by people, but by entries - or at least they are supposed to be.

ETA: One entry per clip...

Ranger54
12-02-2012, 08:15
Interesting comment on squading. I was at the other Glock M bay, guess just lucky to choose the one further away and it was run per the Glock rules. That explains why the Glock commander in chief was over for a few minutes asking the guy in charge of the bay how he was running the stage. I have no idea why some people choose "their way". I was there early and listened to the RO briefing with PettyOfficer and it was pretty clearly explained.

Ranger54
12-02-2012, 08:15
PettyOfficer, good shooting, you will only get better!

PettyOfficer
12-02-2012, 08:35
PettyOfficer, good shooting, you will only get better!

Yeah, those selected score sheets... Others prove otherwise. We'll see where I end up in the pack :).

Thanks :)... I wish I was retired like you... Other than fixed income, must be nice to have time to shoot whenever I'd like.

I did meet somebody who is a member of a private shooting club in Houston and learned more about their club - that would open up opportunities for practice!

malladus
12-02-2012, 15:44
Well after an exciting morning finishing up our entries we are in Waco driving for home in Dallas.

Got there early this morning. Father in law and I were the first shooters of the day on the plates. My friend his buddy rolled in a little later as we were wrapping up and got in the cue for the plates. My buddy was then shooting my G30 when he had what appears to be a overcharged round and the G30 blew. Luckily no serious injuries. He got some scraps, gas burn, and a cut, and one extreme sore hand.

Chris from Glock was there and several of the local club guys running the bay and one member who was an EMT stepped in and made sure he was taken care of. As of 2pm when I last talked to him he was almost home and doing well. He buddy took him on home once it was clear he was going to be okay.

My G30 was collected up and is going back to Glock with Chris. Initial belief is an overcharged reload. Frame is toast, slide is bulged right at the rear base of the ejection port and looked cracked at that point. Gun did its job though and funneled the worst out the bottom through the magwell.

A very cautious FinL and I went onto finish out the match.

malladus

PettyOfficer
12-02-2012, 16:29
Wow. I guess at that point, what reason is there for keeping it... Let Glock have it to study the stresses and maybe learn something about how to make the even safer.

Glad your buddy is going to be fine... That's not the type of adrenaline rush people look for when shooting.

Any pictures of the post-kaboom 30?

21Brutus
12-02-2012, 17:56
Malladus,

I walked up as he was receiving first aid. Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as I saw it...I was impressed though with the amount of folks all round stepping in to help. Hope everyone had a good time otherwise, it was my first shoot and well worth the trip from Houston. I think I copied Petty Officer though, all of my photos look similar to his.....except my score sheets were not as clean!

Keyhole
12-02-2012, 18:02
I grabbed pics. Was next up. Hope he's ok.
http://catchmypicture.com/f/P0kvu1/640.jpg
http://catchmypicture.com/f/3dQqfB/640.jpg

malladus
12-02-2012, 18:24
I got some pictures similar to those. Also video of the actual gun going off. Figured it would be inappropriate to post it without my friends permission and didn't want to start another Glock Kaboom meme for the glock haters out there.

malladus

BamaTrooper
12-02-2012, 19:27
I got some pictures similar to those. Also video of the actual gun going off. Figured it would be inappropriate to post it without my friends permission and didn't want to start another Glock Kaboom meme for the glock haters out there.

malladus

Ack:faint:my poor, formerly owned 30. I bet you are right about losing your sights.

$5 says Glock calls you and asked you about the numbers scratched into the frame and underside of slide. Give 'em my number.

PettyOfficer
12-02-2012, 20:11
Hope everyone had a good time otherwise, it was my first shoot and well worth the trip from Houston. I think I copied Petty Officer though, all of my photos look similar to his.....except my score sheets were not as clean!

Clean? Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment!!

Now are you complimenting my shooting or cell phone picture taking artistic skills? :)

emtjr928
12-02-2012, 20:34
Bobby, Glad everyone escaped without major injury!

malladus
12-03-2012, 08:14
Bobby, Glad everyone escaped without major injury!

Thanks. My friend called his wife to tell her what happened and she got on him for blowing up my gun. :faint:

He seems to be doing fine so far.

Now just waiting on the post mortum from Glock, since they were reloads I know the warranty is toast, but Chris said they would send me an invoice on what it would take to fix the gun. I'm pretty sure it will have a sale flyer for Academy stapled to it.

malladus

malladus
12-03-2012, 08:35
Well, with yesterday morning excluded, I would have to say this was probably my best match at San Antonio. I guess I had to arrange the sacrifice of a Glock to appease the range gods for some offense I have committed there or something. While not shooting my best times overall I did significantly improve my San Antonio times alot (I tend to track it versus itself, and not my overall performance). I even managed to set a personnel overall best time in Stock much to my surprise, but since I recently discovered these little protrusions on the top of my gun, sights I believe Bama told me thet were called, it is much easier to hit the A/B ring. I think with my stock gun I only posted for C's, no D'd, and no misses.

As always the folks running the match were fantastic. I did notice early on that there were some squadding issues on the M, but they got it worked out and when we shot on Sunday they were spot on how things should be done. I also noticed some of the regular RO's I have seen over the last few years were not working, and several new faces were working some of the bays or regulars were working a new spot I hadn't seen them working historically.

I talked to the GSSF folks at about 1 and they send the entry count was 394, but some pre-regs hadn't shown yet. Don't know if there were any stragglers or match add-on entries that maybe pushed the numbers up over that or not, but seems to me that it was a larger then normal turn out which hopefully will keep the clubs wanting to put on the match next year and more years after that.

malladus

malladus
12-03-2012, 08:37
Ack:faint:my poor, formerly owned 30. I bet you are right about losing your sights.

$5 says Glock calls you and asked you about the numbers scratched into the frame and underside of slide. Give 'em my number.

I believe I may have mentioned them to Chris, but when I told him I bought the gun used from you he said maybe I wanted to keep that to myself or else Glock would charge me a fee for Glock abuse.

malladus

SARDG
12-03-2012, 08:40
Thanks. My friend called his wife to tell her what happened and she got on him for blowing up my gun... :faint:

Now just waiting on the post mortum from Glock, since they were reloads I know the warranty is toast, but Chris said they would send me an invoice on what it would take to fix the gun...

malladus
Maybe it was warranted for free unconditional replacement through the seller... uh, Bama. :faint:

Ranger54
12-03-2012, 08:52
Darn Malladus, I am so sorry it was your G30. I had no idea it was connected with you, a friend of mine from SA was there at the time and reported the issue to me last night. I went home Saturday after shooting.

I am very glad your freind is OK.

Will you let us know what Glock finds out?

malladus
12-03-2012, 09:33
Darn Malladus, I am so sorry it was your G30. I had no idea it was connected with you, a friend of mine from SA was there at the time and reported the issue to me last night. I went home Saturday after shooting.

I am very glad your freind is OK.

Will you let us know what Glock finds out?

Thanks. Just talked with my friend, and oddly enough having the gun go boom and him not getting hurt to bad has made him even more impressed with Glocks. He's already planning out our match schedule for next year.

Sorry I missed you, we were over at the M right next store to you, but I was pasteing like mad to help out with the backlog I didn't even notice you over there.

malladus

Ranger54
12-03-2012, 09:39
I was doing the same, running my butt off pasting. See ya next time!

steel96
12-03-2012, 17:40
We shot Saturday morning and had a good time. My dad and brother were new shooters and found the RO's very helpful. We got bogged down at the first Glock M station, took us over 2.5 hours to get through it. It was definitely first come, first serve. Otherwise, it was a good match. We'll likely be back next year.

jonboy20
12-03-2012, 20:35
So what is up with the dog kennel at this place?

Keyhole
12-03-2012, 20:53
Somebody told me the guy raises dogs for sale, LE maybe.

PettyOfficer
12-04-2012, 16:45
Yeah, wonderful smells to be discovered if you walked between the bays.

malladus
12-04-2012, 19:02
Gotta wonder what it's like for the folks on the rifle ranges that have those kennels at the rear of the firing line.

wadecarlson
12-06-2012, 12:45
It was fun! I think I had a 52.81 and this moves me to master. Crazy deal with the gun blwing up!
-Wade

malladus
12-06-2012, 15:04
It was fun! I think I had a 52.81 and this moves me to master. Crazy deal with the gun blwing up!
-Wade

Congrats on the promotion master class.

Luckily my buddy wasn't hurt to bad. He's actually chomping at the bit to get back to the range and shooting again. Pretty much already healed up. I'm waiting to see what Glock has to say about how much its going to cost me to replace the 30.

malladus