What hand guard for M&P15 OR? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What hand guard for M&P15 OR?

Robreynolds
11-22-2012, 23:27
I bought a M&P15 OR a few months back and I'm thinking I would like to replace the round hand guard with a quad rail. I seen lots of choices in plastic and metal. I want to get the Magpul MBUS flip-ups to go along with my Tru-Glo red dot but I've been told not to put them on the gas block. What would be my best choice that is not too expensive and can I go with a longer rail or am I stuck with the same length as what is on there now because of the gas block?

Cadcom
11-22-2012, 23:32
I'm no expert but I think I've seen a few longer rails made with cutouts for the gas block.

9mmmountaineer
11-23-2012, 10:08
I'm having the same issue and I'll be following this post. I love the Troy alpha rail but $170 is out of my range for a 13" hand guard. I'm a bit cheap so anything remotely close to the alpha rail for less I'm interested in.

Sorry op not trying to jack your thread but my search for cheap sights all lean towards the MBUS sights. Was gonna jump on primary Arms deal on Troy flip ups but they only have the rear for $80 and once again $200 for sights is a little rich for my blood.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

bmoore
11-23-2012, 10:47
It would be hard to beat a Daniel Defense rail. If you want extension beyond your gas block nothing is going to be cheap.

M&P15T
11-23-2012, 10:48
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OR has a picatinny railed flat FSB that allows a BUIS to be mounted, right?

If so, it won't fit under any quad rail, so if you want a rail to cover up your gas-black/sight base, you will need to switch to a low-pro gas block, and then you can get into either a Daniel Defense or Troy quad rail.

One positive with the Troy rails, are that they work using the normal barrel nut, instead of needing a specialized barrel nut (which requires removing the barrel/nut/gas bock/muzzle device) to mount to like the Daniel Defense rail does.

LAWDOGKMS
11-23-2012, 11:05
I paid $69 for a CMMG aluminum quad rail, that seems just as nice as anything out there..bought it at my local gun store..

bmoore
11-23-2012, 11:11
I paid $69 for a CMMG aluminum quad rail, that seems just as nice as anything out there..bought it at my local gun store..

Even when I first got into AR's and bought junk, I still knew that it was not that good.

9mmmountaineer
11-23-2012, 11:26
You're right m&p15t they have a picatinny railed gas block. I've been considering buying an a2 sight gas block and chopping it down to fit. Just as a cheaper alternative

9mm Mountaineer

M&P15T
11-23-2012, 11:41
You're right m&p15t they have a picatinny railed gas block. I've been considering buying an a2 sight gas block and chopping it down to fit. Just as a cheaper alternative.

Do you mean as a cheaper alternative to a lo-profile gas block?

I would imagine buying a lo-pro wouldn't be too expensive, versus buying a standard FSB and cutting it down. More important, and more difficult, is getting either one installed properly, so your AR functions right.

9mmmountaineer
11-23-2012, 20:29
I looked up some low profile blocks and primary arms had one for under $10 if I remember correctly, I've seen a replacement or two done on YouTube and I'm semi mechanically inclined so I think after I find a 11-13" rail that I can afford I'll try to replace it.

I'm looking for an alpha rail clone pretty much I love the look

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Toby196
11-23-2012, 20:37
You're right m&p15t they have a picatinny railed gas block. I've been considering buying an a2 sight gas block and chopping it down to fit. Just as a cheaper alternative

9mm Mountaineer

Do you mean as a cheaper alternative to a lo-profile gas block?

I would imagine buying a lo-pro wouldn't be too expensive, versus buying a standard FSB and cutting it down. More important, and more difficult, is getting either one installed properly, so your AR functions right.Yep, you're right. Midway sells a YHM low-profile gas block for $23, while their cheapest A2 FSB is $26. :dunno:

fivestar
11-24-2012, 18:35
I have Troy rails on mine. I've been very pleased.

high ground
11-24-2012, 18:39
Troy makes a nice drop in battlerail.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SFW
11-25-2012, 22:42
Troy makes a nice drop in battlerail.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Has anyone used the drop in Troy quad? I'm looking into this one to replace the stock forend and have seen conflicting information about whether or not you can mount optics to it.

WoodenPlank
11-25-2012, 23:09
Has anyone used the drop in Troy quad? I'm looking into this one to replace the stock forend and have seen conflicting information about whether or not you can mount optics to it.

You should avoid optics on any non-monolithic railed fore ends, as it can result in a wandering zero. Some rails are better than others, obviously, but primary optics should be mounted only on the upper receiver.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SFW
11-25-2012, 23:12
Gotcha. The light that I have has a laser on it. That would be the only real "aiming" device installed on the rail. This is going to be a KISS rifle, and my primary sight will be irons.

TangoFoxtrot
11-26-2012, 05:07
I'll catch hell for this but.....I've been using a UTG quad rail with great sucess. Its even held up under run and gun sessions...and it was only $60.

mjkeat
11-26-2012, 08:59
OP, yank the railed gas block and replace it w/ a low profile version. After that cut off the delta ring on your barrel nut. From there install a Troy Alpha rail. More often than not quad rails aren't needed and add dead weight.

9mmmountaineer
11-26-2012, 19:26
If the Troy rails weren't so freaking expensive that's what I'd do, need to find a used one or cheaper alternative. That's a lot of practice ammo for a budget gun lover

9mm Mountaineer

mjkeat
11-26-2012, 20:58
The Alpha is one of the least expensive quality tubes available.

Toby196
11-27-2012, 00:52
If the Troy rails weren't so freaking expensive that's what I'd do, need to find a used one or cheaper alternative. That's a lot of practice ammo for a budget gun lover

9mm MountaineerHave you or the OP looked at any of the quad-rails from Yankee Hill Machine Co? They have some of the best prices among "reputable" companies. I've been using their Diamond Series (free-floating) forearm for a couple years now, and the only fault I've found is that it's slightly on the heavy side. If I had to choose again, I would probably go with their Lightweight model. The best part was that it only cost me about $110 brand new. The only other "reputable" company I've seen that has prices in the same ballpark is Midwest Industies.

mjkeat
11-27-2012, 09:38
Toby, what length for $110?

faawrenchbndr
11-27-2012, 10:23
I'll catch hell for this but.....I've been using a UTG quad rail with great sucess. Its even held up under run and gun sessions...and it was only $60.

As long as it works for you & your budget,......who cares what others think!

LAWDOGKMS
11-27-2012, 20:50
Even when I first got into AR's and bought junk, I still knew that it was not that good.

And what makes it "not that good?"

mjkeat
11-27-2012, 21:51

What else have you used to compare it to?

LAWDOGKMS
11-27-2012, 22:37
What else have you used to compare it to?

The one on my issued Rock River 10" SBR..I believe a multiple-hundred dollar JP enterprises rail..

My $69.00 rail mounts anything I need just as well..

It's just an aluminum picatinny for goodness sakes..!!

WoodenPlank
11-27-2012, 22:59
The one on my issued Rock River 10" SBR..I believe a multiple-hundred dollar JP enterprises rail..

My $69.00 rail mounts anything I need just as well..

It's just an aluminum picatinny for goodness sakes..!!

Assuming the cheaper rail is made to spec (many are not), they are generally much heavier than the higher-priced rails. Some are made from inferior grades of aluminum, and often use weaker or otherwise inferior mounting designs.

While your equipment may mount to the cheap rail 'just the same,' that doesn't mean the rest of the rail is equal to a Daniel Defense, Centurion, Troy, or KAC rail.

mjkeat
11-27-2012, 23:54
Assuming the cheaper rail is made to spec (many are not), they are generally much heavier than the higher-priced rails. Some are made from inferior grades of aluminum, and often use weaker or otherwise inferior mounting designs.

While your equipment may mount to the cheap rail 'just the same,' that doesn't mean the rest of the rail is equal to a Daniel Defense, Centurion, Troy, or KAC rail.

Fo shizzle dizzle ;)

That DPMS on the shelf looks just like the Colt next to it. That Tasco RDS mounts to both, just the same. They must be the same. Why spend the extra $100 for the Colt.

mac66
11-28-2012, 07:34
I have a S&W MP15 OR as well. I had a quad rail hand guard on it for awhile but I don't really need rails so I put the regular HGs back on it. I would eventually like to put a free floating HG on it but works fine as is so I am in no hurry to spend more money.

Toby196
11-28-2012, 14:16
Toby, what length for $110?It's a carbine length. Checking out the Midway website, it looks like the price hasn't gone up at all since I bought it.

Robreynolds
11-28-2012, 20:51
Well I have a local place that I'll probably get the Blackhawk quad rail for 100.00 and the MBUS sights for 35.00 for the front and 50.00 for the rear.

WoodenPlank
11-28-2012, 21:34
Well I have a local place that I'll probably get the Blackhawk quad rail for 100.00 and the MBUS sights for 35.00 for the front and 50.00 for the rear.

If you're gonna drop $100 on a non-free float quad rail, you'd be better off going with either the Daniel Defense EZ-CAR or the Troy drop in models. There's also the blemished Knights Armament railed handguards for $150.

NDLAWRENCE
11-30-2012, 23:51
Will a Troy Industries 13" Alpha Battle Rail fit on a M&P 15, Without removing the gas block?

mjkeat
12-01-2012, 22:02
No.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2