Marlin 60 scope problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 60 scope problem

attrapereves
11-23-2012, 16:10
I bought a Simmons 22 Magnum 3-9x32 scope for my Marlin 60 and installed it a few weeks ago. I got it zeroed in and everything is going great so far, except for one minor problem. After every range trip, I notice that the scope is walking off the back of the rail. I've tightened it as much as it will go, but it's still walking off (I'm guessing from the recoil). I'm using the rings that came with the scope.

Has anyone had this problem with their M60? I've heard of people using locktite. Will this work?

Thanks

countrygun
11-23-2012, 17:56
I have all but given up on the "tip-off" scope mounts and getting them to stay put on a built in rail.

Of course I also gave up on scoping a Marlin 60 when I fnd, that on my last one, the rail and the barrel were not exactly pointing in the same direction.

cheapshot
11-23-2012, 19:51
I've mounted several scopes to model 60's. Found that the rings that come "with" some scopes are'nt the best quality. You might want to try a different set of rings. They don't necessarily have to be top of the line quality, but the ones that usually come with fairly inexpensive scopes just seem to cause trouble, for me anyway. I've always liked the Simmons 22 mag. Seems like pretty decent quality for the money. Good luck!

cj5mrt
11-25-2012, 15:40
I found some rings on ebay that I put on a 60 I gave my nephew. 1000's of rounds later they are still there and don't move. I don't remember what brand of rings they are though.

Armchair Commando
12-03-2012, 00:58
I bought a Simmons 22 Magnum 3-9x32 scope for my Marlin 60 and installed it a few weeks ago. I got it zeroed in and everything is going great so far, except for one minor problem. After every range trip, I notice that the scope is walking off the back of the rail. I've tightened it as much as it will go, but it's still walking off (I'm guessing from the recoil). I'm using the rings that came with the scope.

Has anyone had this problem with their M60? I've heard of people using locktite. Will this work?

Thanks

Buy a flat picatinny rail and drill and tap the marlin receiver to accept it!

vafish
12-03-2012, 06:39
Try a new set if rings.

My scope hasn't moved a bit on my 60. And its 40 years old.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Hamilton Burger
12-07-2012, 03:12
I went with a 3.5-10x40. Mine didn't come with rings, though, so I got some Millett (or Burris, can't recall) and never had a problem.

http://i46.tinypic.com/11al7x1.jpg

That scope is now on my son's bolt gun. He traded me a vintage C4 with Weaver rings. So far, so good.

We also have a 35 yo Glenfield 60 with original scope & rings. Never an issue.

Sorry if this wasn't much help, but I gotta ask: What recoil? :rofl:

vafish
12-07-2012, 05:21
I went with a 3.5-10x40. Mine didn't come with rings, though, so I got some Millett (or Burris, can't recall) and never had a problem.

http://i46.tinypic.com/11al7x1.jpg

That scope is now on my son's bolt gun. He traded me a vintage C4 with Weaver rings. So far, so good.

We also have a 35 yo Glenfield 60 with original scope & rings. Never an issue.

Sorry if this wasn't much help, but I gotta ask: What recoil? :rofl:

Hey even PCP air guns recoil.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

mac66
12-07-2012, 08:44
Scope walking is a common problem with the Model 60 and 795. One solution is using a one piece clamp scope mount like this...

Amazon.com: UTG Airgun .22 Medium Profile Integral 1-Inch Ring Mount: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JMr-JpNGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41JMr-JpNGL

This one is very popular with Marlin owners. I use them on a number of Appleseed rifles.

cowboywannabe
12-07-2012, 09:30
use the left over strip from a hogue slip on rubber grip......between the scope and the rings....a small piece will add enough girth so the rings tighten up fine.