Blue Dot vs Different primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dot vs Different primers

RDub01
11-24-2012, 20:47
Hi

Well I had to find out why I wasn’t getting any more velocity with Blue Dot and 180gr bullets in the 10mm than I was getting.. I’ve been using Rem 2 for the most part..

So, I’m going to try a few different primers..

I assembled 20 rounds with Speer 180gr TMJ bullets, Starline brass, and 11.1grs Blue Dot.

Five rounds were loaded with CCI 300’s

Five loaded with CCI350’s

Five with WLP

Five with Rem 2

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/rafswede/10MM/180grBlueDot-Primers.jpg

First, when I touched off one of those with CCI350’s, Wow..what a fireball! The other primers didn’t do that.

I had a good group going with the CCI5350’s but one went off before I was ready.. Hands getting cold.

Anyway, the velocity differences are significant.. Roughly 70 fps difference from WLR and Rem 2

Thought some 10mm guys might find this interesting..

_The_Shadow
11-24-2012, 21:17
I like the 350's for most Blue Dot loads to get the powder to burn more completely and cleanly, the performance velocity is also better. I was loading the 200 XTP using 10.5 grains of Blue Dot and the 300's yielded 1160 - 1180 fps but the 350's brought that to 1180 - 1205 fps from my S&W1006.

Thanks for posting!

OhioGlockMan
11-24-2012, 21:28
Did I see that correctly that winchester WLP brought about even more velocity then the CCI 350's? I have switched to the WLP for all 10mm shooting, a lot of people believe they are in between a mag and standard primer without giving a pressure spike of a dedicated mag primer and this is consistent with my research and development work. I also think if the WLP isn't putting out the oomph a dedicated mag primer, it definitely puts out the extra spark we need in any application in 10mm

RDub01
11-24-2012, 21:38
Yes.. You saw correctly:cool:.. That's what I got.
The CCI 350's and the WLPs are so close we might as well call it even..

Shadow, I'm going to give this G20SF a workout with 200gr Hornady JHP soon, so I will pay close attention to this..

OhioGlockMan
11-25-2012, 07:50
Also for what it's worth, back 20 years ago my dad used to shoot his 44 magnum a lot and we reloaded together and used a lot of loads with a 240 grain bullet and winchester 296 powder lit by a winchester WLP primer, even 20 years ago they said for standard or mag loads so we used them for everything in 44 magnum. It lit off the W296 loads just fine, and all the reloading manuals unanimously say you gotta use magnum primers with W296. Anyways using the one primer for all 44 mag loads, from pip squeak to full house saved a lot of time and space on bench too

RDub01
11-25-2012, 09:12
Also for what it's worth, back 20 years ago my dad used to shoot his 44 magnum a lot and we reloaded together and used a lot of loads with a 240 grain bullet and winchester 296 powder lit by a winchester WLP primer, even 20 years ago they said for standard or mag loads so we used them for everything in 44 magnum. It lit off the W296 loads just fine, and all the reloading manuals unanimously say you gotta use magnum primers with W296. Anyways using the one primer for all 44 mag loads, from pip squeak to full house saved a lot of time and space on bench too

Yep, I did the same thing with H-110 or 296.. Win primers have always been hot. When I shot a lot of .300 Win Mag I used the #8-120 (WLR now) with great results.

Kwesi
11-25-2012, 09:37
Did I see that correctly that winchester WLP brought about even more velocity then the CCI 350's? I have switched to the WLP for all 10mm shooting, a lot of people believe they are in between a mag and standard primer without giving a pressure spike of a dedicated mag primer and this is consistent with my research and development work. I also think if the WLP isn't putting out the oomph a dedicated mag primer, it definitely puts out the extra spark we need in any application in 10mm

I chrono'd the Win LPP vs CCI LPP in my 180 gr 10mm loads and the Win averaged +30 FPS.

OhioGlockMan
11-25-2012, 12:24
Yep, I did the same thing with H-110 or 296.. Win primers have always been hot. When I shot a lot of .300 Win Mag I used the #8-120 (WLR now) with great results.

I also did the same with the all the high power rifles, I use either WLR or WSR standard strength for stick and ball powders, they all ignite totally fine, even the biggest charges of W760 in the 30-06. I got so sick of the way a lot of manuals would say use mag primers for ball powders, it got to be way too much hassle stocking both types of primers. Winchester makes ball powder, so that must be why their standard strength primers have a little more uumph

Yondering
11-25-2012, 12:28
Those results are interesting, thanks for sharing.

Those velocities still seem pretty low though, for that load in a G20; I would've expected closer to 1300 fps. A member on the 10mm firearms forum was having issues with low velocity from Blue Dot as well; I'm wondering if Alliant produced a slow batch of powder. If you have a chance to try some Blue Dot from a different batch, it might be worthwhile.

dm1906
11-25-2012, 13:48
Those results are interesting, thanks for sharing.

Those velocities still seem pretty low though, for that load in a G20; I would've expected closer to 1300 fps. A member on the 10mm firearms forum was having issues with low velocity from Blue Dot as well; I'm wondering if Alliant produced a slow batch of powder. If you have a chance to try some Blue Dot from a different batch, it might be worthwhile.

I agree. I get 1280-1310 (depending on components/config) in the OEM Glock with that load and older powder. I just picked up a new lot of Blue Dot (newest label), so I'll have to check the performance. The only significant difference between the new and previous labels is, the new label does not include the content ingredients. If there has been a formula change, it should also be reflected in an updated MSDS.