Great Tools [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Great Tools

Averageman
11-25-2012, 09:15
This is in responce to the "What happened to Craftsman Tools" Thread.
What tools do you have that are old and now irreplacable?
I have a Craftsman tablesaw, drill press, bandsaw and grinder that are close to if not 50+ years old. They have had the motors replaced, but they are solid tools and still work well.
I also found a Snap-On Screwdriver stuck in a M1 Tank track one time. It took a minute to figure out what it was but on closer examination and some work with a pry bar I pulled it out of the track. I still have that Screwdriver, only thing wrong with it is the handle has some grooves in it from the cooling tubes crushing it as the track rotated.
So lets hear about your Great Old Tools.

rj1939
11-25-2012, 09:27
Years ago, Napa sold New Britain tools, good tools but they will not replace them anymore.
I suspect they are in the process of doing the same now with the "Napa" brand tools, they no longer sell that brand and have gone to "Carlyle" brand. Pretty poor to abandon your own name in favor of another.

Gearwrench is another (not so old) brand that won't replace their tools. This varies from one place to another, the vendors that I went to do not want to replace them.

Auto Zone has been great so far though, they are the same as Gearwrench (but with a different name) and are great to deal with.

FullClip
11-25-2012, 10:47
My older brother gave me a pair of Channel Lock locking pliers (like Vise Grips) around 1976. . They are great as the release lever is on the outside of the handle and easy to work. You can crank way down on something and when it's time to unlock the pliers it's not like setting off a rat trap in your hand like with the real Vise-Grip units.

I just checked the on-line Channel Lock catalog and they aren't offered. Maybe some type of patent deal with Vise-Grip although I like my Channel Lock unit better.

kirgi08
11-25-2012, 11:08
Blackhawk went by the wayside.'08.

HollowHead
11-25-2012, 11:41
I have an old Proto torque wrench that is a thing of beauty. No newton-meter scale, though... HH

K.Kiser
11-25-2012, 11:50
I still buy old craftsman tools when I find'em, you can tell the different right away in the texture of the castings, font of the lettering and the color of the steel which isn't as chrome or plated looking... Other than that I buy second hand Matco, Proto, Snap-On, Mac, Williams,etc..

Another brand that gets very little publicity is Urrea Tools... The prices fluctuate depending on the specific tool, but alot of their stuff is priced from a little above Craftsman to maybe Proto(ish) level.. They are made in Mexico, as I think Urrea is a Mexican based operation, but surely don't confuse the product with other mexican junk because they are used heavily in the heavy industry and professionals down there by people that require a certain level of quality.. Motion Industries carries their stuff and is where I became aware of them, and they are a solid product that is far and away ahead of any modern Craftsman..

WIMPY
11-25-2012, 11:52
I have a long shafted flat blade screwdriver that has "Winchester" on the brass trim on the wooden handle. Handed down from dad, not sure about the age,

TheExplorer
11-25-2012, 11:55
Used to be all my old craftsman professional, but recently my USA craftsman are now failing. Of course going back to exchange I found they don't even make them anymore. Sales guy was nice enough to ask his manager if he could substitute crescent brand instead.

Adjuster
11-25-2012, 12:02
A friend of mine has a set of ratcheting pliers. They are very similar to the grooved channel locks and I believe are even branded Channel Locks. When you squeeze the plier onto a nut/bolt they ratchet down for a solid lock but then immediately release when you let off pressure. Definitely a plus to prevent rounding off whatever your working on. A very nice plier.

/

elsolo
11-25-2012, 12:10
They aren't old, I have only had them for 10 yrs.
P.B.Baumann Swiss tools: allen wrenches

jame
11-25-2012, 12:14
I have my Grandpa's old tool roll with a semi-full set of Blackhawk wrenches. We're what's left of a family farm he started in 1929. He died 15 years ago, he was 87 when he died, so your guess is as good as mine.

But boy, are those some rock solid tools.

EdTracker
11-25-2012, 13:28
Blackhawk went by the wayside.'08.

No '08 Blackhawk can still be had through MSC. I have some of their wrenches and T-handle hex keys and they are stout.

See

http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/MWSRCH?N=2104364+4294881911

Hef
11-25-2012, 13:36
I have a Craftsman drill press from the early 1950's that we used in the cabinet shop regularly (mostly for drilling 35mm hinges) until it finally gave up last week.

janice6
11-25-2012, 13:45
I hve about eight or ten wood planes I scrounged from internet ads. One came from a guy in N. Dak. that turned out to be a relative of a friend I hung out with in High School.

These were from the turn of the century. 1880's/1900's. I rebuilt them and squared them up.

I wouldn't be without them for precision wood work. They have mass, are precise and cost almost nothing, for 112 year old hand tools.

I bought two new hand planes and they were junk, pure junk.

RonS
11-25-2012, 14:09
S&K 3/8 drive socket set and nut driver set from the 70's. Craftsman combination end wrench set from 3/8 - 1 1/2". Late 70's IIRC.

tous
11-25-2012, 14:42
I have a collection of Nicholson files, some passed down from grandfather, some from father and some that I have purchased. Kept clean and treated well, the 100-year-old files work as well or better than the 30 year old files.

Unless I need an exotic file that they don't make, when I think files, I only think Nicholson.

:thumbsup:

jame
11-25-2012, 16:14
S&K 3/8 drive socket set and nut driver set from the 70's. Craftsman combination end wrench set from 3/8 - 1 1/2". Late 70's IIRC.

I still have my 1/2" S&K set, but I shredded the ratchet a long, long time ago.

HollowHead
11-25-2012, 16:16
I have a Wilton bench vise that could anchor a cruiseship. HH

selogic
11-26-2012, 05:01
I have a decent set of Craftsman tools that I have accumulated over the years . When both of my sons were born , I bought them each a small Craftsman " starter set " for their own . It cut way down on my stuff getting lost or broken . I still have my Dad's old toolbox but he didn't have much in the way of tools . It's more sentimental than anything .

lunarspeak
11-26-2012, 05:08
craftsman farms alot of thier stuff out to other companys..bosch makes alot of thier stuff....

byf43
11-26-2012, 05:39
Before my Dad passed away, he told me to go downstairs, to his workshop, and get/take all of his tools. (He didn't want my sister's paramour to get/take any of these tools.)

Everything from old Craftsman tools, to several tools for/from a Model A.

Bent/curved boxed-end wrenches, ratchets, planes, drill motors.

I don't know if I have enough room in my garage for all of this stuff! :dunno:

Dennis in MA
11-26-2012, 09:21
Adolph Hitler was a great tool.

kirgi08
11-26-2012, 09:30
/rimshot/

skorper
11-26-2012, 09:44
Chapman MFG gunsmith screwdriver bit set. They are the best I have found. They're made in USA and still available. Individual bits can be replaced as well but I have never had to order any so far.

I've got a set of Wright combination wrenches that I got at an estate sale that have provided years of trouble free service.

ChannelLock slip joint pliers. Use them for everything and they never fail.

Original ViseGrip brand vise grip pliers. I've tried other cheaper brands and none of them are really any good with heavy use. (A friend of mine has a pair of older Craftsman vise-grip style pliers and he says they are just as good but I don't know.)

kirgi08
11-26-2012, 10:48
I like Matco for "fine" work.'08.

Rinspeed
11-26-2012, 12:57
I still have my 1/2" S&K set, but I shredded the ratchet a long, long time ago.

Love my older S-K socket sets and I've picked up several of their 3/8 and 1/2" ratchets on Ebay for $8-15 a pop.