Ethical question - You, a friend, and his wife carpool to an event [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ethical question - You, a friend, and his wife carpool to an event

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 10:38
To share fuel expenses. The total fuel cost is $120.

What is your share of the fuel cost?

tylernt
11-25-2012, 10:41
A fair share is 1/3.

A good friend would share 1/2.

FullClip
11-25-2012, 10:42
The easy answer would be 40 bucks, but since your buddy isn't likely to be charging his wife gas money, be ready to pony up 60 bucks.

Scott3670
11-25-2012, 10:42
A fair share is 1/3.

This.

10sRin
11-25-2012, 10:43
$60. regardless of who's car.

raven11
11-25-2012, 10:44
$60 like others said

gjk5
11-25-2012, 10:46
half.

686Owner
11-25-2012, 10:47
$60. If he had 9 kids would you expect to pay $10?

frank4570
11-25-2012, 10:48
A fair share is 1/3.

That's the way I see it.

slick64
11-25-2012, 10:51
$60, no question.

Riverkilt
11-25-2012, 10:53
$120 He gave up his private time with his lady both ways.

Averageman
11-25-2012, 10:55
No, because I wouldn't get in the damn car with 9 kids even if he paid me.

Hawaiiglock
11-25-2012, 10:56
Who's car?

Mrs.Cicero
11-25-2012, 10:58
I'd expect to pay half if I were the friend. Having said that, I wouldn't say anything to the friend if he only gave me $40. But I might use his math the next time our positions were reversed.

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 10:58

No, because I wouldn't get in the damn car with 9 kids even if he paid me.

I concur, I would meet them there to maintain my sanity.

Who's car?

Mine.

2bgop
11-25-2012, 11:01
I wouldn't expect any money from my friend.

CanMan
11-25-2012, 11:02
Factor in traffic, parking , vehicle maintenance & gratuities...let's say $142. Doing something with your friend's wife? Priceless!

devildog2067
11-25-2012, 11:07
Mine.

Ah, in that case, the answer is different.

Depends on the friendship. Your friend owes you at least $60. If it was me I'd cover the entire gas bill since I'm not paying for wear and tear on the car, and buy lunch.

On the other hand, with most of my friends, I wouldn't pay anything and it'd even out in the end. I don't track stuff like this closely, I just stop giving rides to freeloaders after a while.

F14Scott
11-25-2012, 11:09
Pay half the gas and you're money ahead of the actual money you saved by not driving.

If the fuel cost were $120, assuming 30 MPG and $3.50 gas, it was about a 1000 mile round trip. Since running a car, including gas/oil/insurance/maintenance/depreciation/etc., costs around $0.50 per mile, the actual cost of the commute was $500.

ETA: Oops, just saw it was your car. Concur with Steven. The whole gas bill would be the most fair, considering your costs.

Also edited to fix my math.

dango
11-25-2012, 11:22

I would give him $120 , the nine kids and wife , an extra $50 smile and say "call me when you get back" ! Now that's priceless ! :supergrin:

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 11:24
These are folks I share a similar interest with, not my best buddy for several years. I like them and consider them friends, but have only known them for a short time thrugh our similar interests. I made the numbers easy for the examle, the actual fuel cost was $328.

I got to the first fuel stop and he offered to fill the tank, and I said we'd just save the reciepts and divide the total cost by 3 at the end of the trip. He said "3? she dosen't coun't."

Not anything I'll ever mention to them, not worth bad feelings over a few bucks, just interested to see what the GT brain trust's thoughts on the subject were.

ateamer
11-25-2012, 11:35
$120. He's my friend. If he wants to pay half or a third, that is nice but I don't expect it. I probably wold have gone to this event anyway.

F14Scott
11-25-2012, 11:40
So it was about a hundred gallons, total, meaning you drove 3,000 miles? That means the cost to you, the owner of the car, was about $1500 bucks. So, your "friend" paid $164 dollars for two people to travel 3,000 miles. He got quite a deal.

Bruce M
11-25-2012, 11:40
My opinion is that a friend riding would offer to pay all the fuel costs. A friend driving would refuse anything. Dividing it by three when two of the three are husband and wife seems reaching a bit to me.

ray9898
11-25-2012, 11:50
Half...I would consider them one unit.

onebigelf
11-25-2012, 11:55
1/2. One car instead of 2. How many people are in the car is immaterial.

John

Triple7
11-25-2012, 11:58
Y'all are crappy friends. If its me my best friend and his wife...... I'm not paying anything. If he is riding with me he isn't paying anything.
It's the same thing as "if I go to dinner at my friends house I'm not pitching in for food and ditto if he is at my house. Drink my beer, eat my food, it's part of being my friend"

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 12:13
This isn't my "best friend" for years, but folks that I hang with that share similar interests.

No right or wrong answers here, but it is interesting to see your opinions on the subject, and how married couples are viewed by my GT friends.

I'm single, and I view a person as a person. I hauled a trailer full of animals down and they each particpiated in the event with 2 animals apiece, me with one.

I'm not picking nits over a few bucks, I'd never argue over money, just pay the price of a lesson learned. She and I went to an event once where I took my truck, paid $150 in fuel, and she bought me a meal since I paid the fuel cost.

I never said a word about that either, as like atramer said, I would have gone anyway.

Arguing over money is silly, but the diverse views on this math problem are very interesting to read.

It was a good trip and I learned lots.

rednoved
11-25-2012, 12:15
Wifes don't like to be considered property, so in all fairness, they should be considered their own person when it comes to paying. :rofl:

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 12:16
Wifes don't like to be considered property, so in all fairness, they should be considered their own person when it comes to paying. :rofl:

ZING!!!!!!

:supergrin:

fnfalman
11-25-2012, 12:17
Y'all are crappy friends. If its me my best friend and his wife...... I'm not paying anything. If he is riding with me he isn't paying anything.
It's the same thing as "if I go to dinner at my friends house I'm not pitching in for food and ditto if he is at my house. Drink my beer, eat my food, it's part of being my friend"

I'm with you.

rednoved
11-25-2012, 12:17
BTW, I never ask for gas money, or expect it.

2bgop
11-25-2012, 12:29
Ah, in that case, the answer is different.

Depends on the friendship. Your friend owes you at least $60. If it was me I'd cover the entire gas bill since I'm not paying for wear and tear on the car, and buy lunch.

On the other hand, with most of my friends, I wouldn't pay anything and it'd even out in the end. I don't track stuff like this closely, I just stop giving rides to freeloaders after a while.

This. Life is far too short to keep score on stuff like this. I wouldn't pay anything and my friends wouldn't me anything, it will all even out at the end.

Z71bill
11-25-2012, 12:31
No real one best answer to these questions.

If the cost is a big deal - then get it resolved before hand - so that all agree it is a fair split.

To just say I will drive and then expect the other guy to pay for all the gas - or to catch a ride and expect the driver will pay for all the gas is wrong.

By cost being a big deal - I mean -

If you pick the guy up and drive 2 miles to have lunch - almost no way anyone even thinks about splitting gas expense.

If you plan a 3,000 mile vacation - then gas alone can eat up $500 - and if you really get the facts total cost is more like $1,000+. If $500 - $1,000 is a big deal and if your friend gives you a $100 less than you think is fair will bother you - then resolving it ahead of time will prevent any hard feelings.

I took a few road trips with friends - we just said everyone throw in $XX for gas. If we have any left over at the end we will split it.

TBO
11-25-2012, 12:38
Don't say a word, just load up and go.
Half way there, pull over in a desolate place and say;

Ass, gas, or cash, nobody rides for free. :tbo:

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

RonS
11-25-2012, 12:40
There are two families in the car. $60.

jhoagland
11-25-2012, 12:44
I'd half it period.

janice6
11-25-2012, 12:45
Half. Makes no difference to me if My wife were in the car, or his wife in the car.
1/2.

Three "friends (no family) 1/3.

CitizenOfDreams
11-25-2012, 12:48
Why not rotate cars? Week one you carpool in your car, week two you carpool in your friend's car. That way all the expenses (gas, tires, maintenance, wear and tear...) are divided evenly without any financial drama.

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 12:51
This was a 1 time gig to a distant locale. My vehicle gets better fuel economy hauling a trailer so we took it Citizen.

Wolfgang
11-25-2012, 13:05
Your trips are too long,

who pays the hotel room and breakfast?

gjk5
11-25-2012, 13:07
wait, forgot an important factor: how much does his wife talk?

that would have a serious bearing on my perception of the overall enjoyability of the ride and subsequently the perceived "cost" of the ride.

MooseJaw
11-25-2012, 13:10
..have only known them for a short time thrugh our similar interests.

I got to the first fuel stop and he offered to fill the tank, and I said we'd just save the reciepts and divide the total cost by 3 at the end of the trip. He said "3? she dosen't coun't."

I hauled a trailer full of animals down and they each particpiated in the event with 2 animals apiece, me with one.

She and I went to an event once where I took my truck, paid $150 in fuel, and she bought me a meal since I paid the fuel cost.

It was a good trip and I learned lots.

If the 3 of you were closer friends, I'd agree that "she doesn't count".

But, you hauled your buddy, his wife, & their 4 animals?

I say the cost should have been split 3 ways..

When you arrived at the Event, was there an Entry Fee?

Did she "count" then, or did she enter under his Ticket??

What if it was your Buddy, his Brother, and 4 animals??

The nerve of some people..

jpa
11-25-2012, 13:20
I would ask for one night with the wife...oh wait, that's for a million dollars. Nevermind, I guess half is reasonable.

dac1204
11-25-2012, 13:29

I agree with this thinking. If there had been two couples then it would be half of the gas but I would have given more for wear and tear.

Since the driver and owner of the car did not have anyone else in the truck then it should be split in 1/3s with the other guy paying 2/3s. She weighs something and cost more for fuel with the two extra animals they brought.

If this was an around town trip I would not ask for anything, but since it was a special out of town trip then money it is.

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 13:54
Your trips are too long,

who pays the hotel room and breakfast?

That is a great point - we stayed at a friends house. I gave his wife a bag of foo-foo stuff, perfume, lotions, shower gel, 2 fancy coffee's, and hand soap from one of those girly stores for putting us up.

I bought their lunches and dinners while we were there so there was no mess to clean up at the house.

wait, forgot an important factor: how much does his wife talk?

that would have a serious bearing on my perception of the overall enjoyability of the ride and subsequently the perceived "cost" of the ride.

Thank god she had an electronic babysitter with her and sat in back with a couple of the animals.

I would ask for one night with the wife...oh wait, that's for a million dollars. Nevermind, I guess half is reasonable.

Ahhhh ... she would be paying me if that were the case

:tbo:

Really it was their 7 animals, they only worked 4 of them.

:whistling:

Damnit, what was I thnking???

I agree with this thinking. If there had been two couples then it would be half of the gas but I would have given more for wear and tear.

Since the driver and owner of the car did not have anyone else in the truck then it should be split in 1/3s with the other guy paying 2/3s. She weighs something and cost more for fuel with the two extra animals they brought.

If this was an around town trip I would not ask for anything, but since it was a special out of town trip then money it is.

I'd never ask for fuel money for around town trips, just long distances. Incidental expenses are no big deal, thousands of miles of traveling is.

There are some great views shared thus far.

jdavionic
11-25-2012, 14:08
Half...I would consider them one unit.

I agree.

jbailey8
11-25-2012, 14:23
My opinion is that a friend riding would offer to pay all the fuel costs. A friend driving would refuse anything. Dividing it by three when two of the three are husband and wife seems reaching a bit to me.I agree. If it were a local trip to the grocery store I wouldn't say, "I was gonna take you for 5 bucks, but since she came it's 10 even though I'm already going to the grocery store." Lol

MrGlock21
11-25-2012, 14:47
I never ask friends for gas money (unless it's a road trip to Alaska etc).
But, without being asked, as a matter of 'it goes without sayin', they compensate by buying steak dinner, booze, ammo and what have you.

arclight610
11-25-2012, 15:20
[(Your weight with belongings)/(Their weight with belongings)] * Total Gas Bill

ChiefWPD
11-25-2012, 15:21

TBO, from you I'd expect nothing less!

:tongueout:

Bruce M
11-25-2012, 15:57

I thought it was "Ass, gas, grass or cash; no one rides for free."

390ish
11-25-2012, 16:16
Their share would be what ever they offered after I did not ask. If they are cheap and worthless you will find out without having to argue. If it is a big deal to you, figure out the share of expenses to be paid by each party prior to getting into the car, otherwise you run the risk of coming off as cheap yourself.

HollowHead
11-25-2012, 16:22

What would you say to his wife? HH

davsco
11-25-2012, 16:26
you shoulda had them drive and paid half gas and you woulda been way ahead in the game. wear and tear, maintenance, chance of accident or windshield ding, etc are all costs over and above fuel.

two ways to look at it - one is if you were going to do the drive anyways, anything they contribute would help defer your costs. the other is what are they saving by you driving them. somewhere in the middle is probably the right answer.

gwalchmai
11-25-2012, 16:34
Was she hot?

Gallium
11-25-2012, 17:04
I think you handled it well. When I do this sort of stuff (I drive a lot, and often times people think they can simply park their asses in my vehicle because I was already going their way).

I ENJOY being alone, driving alone. I'll put 3-5-9 people on an airplane and drive 500 miles with the gear. For certain they'll get there before me, but chances are I'll be in bed by the time they are checking out of the hotel.

Since I attach a premium to rolling solo, I always use numbers to discourage folks from riding with me. For the most part, I am very fair - even generous with the split. I won't ask for more than 30% even if it's two people (mostly because I can expense everything away and get a check covering whatever I spent from my clients, who are always hundreds, and often THOUSANDS of dollars ahead because I choose to drive with 15 very expensive, very rare pieces of gear in my SUV).

For the people who are going to be uttering more than four sentences, I attach the ass hole premium to their cost, and the results always suit me fine. They either back out, or I suffer their yammering for 6-10hrs and think of the ammo I am going to purchase with their money, or maybe a new pair of in-ear attenuators. :tbo:

itisbruno
11-25-2012, 20:49
[(Your weight with belongings)/(Their weight with belongings)] * Total Gas Bill

Math is hard

:animlol:

you shoulda had them drive and paid half gas and you woulda been way ahead in the game. wear and tear, maintenance, chance of accident or windshield ding, etc are all costs over and above fuel.

two ways to look at it - one is if you were going to do the drive anyways, anything they contribute would help defer your costs. the other is what are they saving by you driving them. somewhere in the middle is probably the right answer.

I drove because I have more room and get better fuel economy, so in that light, reguardless of each person paying their fair share, I came out ahead for fuel cost, but not the other expenses/risks you pointed out.

Was she hot?

Finally, a voice of reason ....

meh ... the top of her head is pretty to look at.

I think you handled it well. When I do this sort of stuff (I drive a lot, and often times people think they can simply park their asses in my vehicle because I was already going their way).

I ENJOY being alone, driving alone. I'll put 3-5-9 people on an airplane and drive 500 miles with the gear. For certain they'll get there before me, but chances are I'll be in bed by the time they are checking out of the hotel.

Since I attach a premium to rolling solo, I always use numbers to discourage folks from riding with me. For the most part, I am very fair - even generous with the split. I won't ask for more than 30% even if it's two people (mostly because I can expense everything away and get a check covering whatever I spent from my clients, who are always hundreds, and often THOUSANDS of dollars ahead because I choose to drive with 15 very expensive, very rare pieces of gear in my SUV).

For the people who are going to be uttering more than four sentences, I attach the ass hole premium to their cost, and the results always suit me fine. They either back out, or I suffer their yammering for 6-10hrs and think of the ammo I am going to purchase with their money, or maybe a new pair of in-ear attenuators. :tbo:

I enjoy company when I drive, breaks up the bordem and a co-polit is always handy.

Flex
11-25-2012, 20:54
If I were driving I wouldn't expect or need a friend to pay. However, depending an individuals financial situation, that may vary. If finances are that tight, perhaps one shouldn't be going to the concert at all, let alone driving.

Flex :supergrin:

certifiedfunds
11-25-2012, 21:06
I wouldn't expect any money from my friend.

This

And if it was his car I'd try to trick him so I could pick up the fuel

Dennis in MA
11-26-2012, 10:05

That, and a box of Trojans. :rofl:

These are folks I share a similar interest with, not my best buddy for several years. I like them and consider them friends, but have only known them for a short time thrugh our similar interests. I made the numbers easy for the examle, the actual fuel cost was $328.

Not anything I'll ever mention to them, not worth bad feelings over a few bucks, just interested to see what the GT brain trust's thoughts on the subject were.

Hopefully you got that recorded. She'll pay mightily when she needs it for divorce court later. LOL

HexHead
11-26-2012, 10:16
Tell his wife "Ass, gas or grass. Nobody rides for free".

NDCent
11-26-2012, 10:46
I wouldn't charge a friend, but it would be hard to keep them from paying, same if the roles were reversed. An acquaintance, I'd be riding solo. :miff:

Hailstorm
11-26-2012, 10:51
Your splitting the time in the back seat with his wife right? I'd say that is even then.:whistling:

Brucev
11-26-2012, 10:58
$60. Otherwise, just drive your own car and not try to nickle and dime your friend.

fnfalman
11-26-2012, 12:22

"Take a hike while we tend to men's business!!!"

oldman11
11-26-2012, 13:08
If they are just casual friends, then pay 1/2 the fuel costs and everyone pays their own food bill.

BuzznRose
11-26-2012, 13:46
If I'm driving, I'd expect whatever we agreed upon in advance. Otherwise, I'd expect nothing and appreciate whatever they gave me.

If they are driving, I'll pay half the gas.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Spiffums
11-26-2012, 14:10
It's $60 if their car and $40 if your car. but its probably just $60 since married couples count as 1 person :D

certifiedfunds
11-26-2012, 14:25
I bid $1 Bob

MAC702
11-26-2012, 14:32
Depends on the event.

Also, long trips should cover some vehicle use/maintenance beyond just fuel costs.

mhambi
11-26-2012, 15:24
"she doesn't count"

equates to:

Total bill/2

itisbruno
11-26-2012, 15:45
Your splitting the time in the back seat with his wife right? I'd say that is even then.:whistling:

She is so cold I'd have to wear insulated coveralls.

It's $60 if their car and $40 if your car. but its probably just $60 since married couples count as 1 person :D

"she doesn't count"

equates to:

Total bill/2

That is the root question.

Does a married couple count as 1 person?

F14Scott
11-26-2012, 16:01
The larger question is, if you had to drive 1500 miles each way, that's about fifty hours in the car. Why didn't you fly and rent a car on the other end? 1500 miles is way outside my fly/drive decision point.

itisbruno
11-26-2012, 16:14
The larger question is, if you had to drive 1500 miles each way, that's about fifty hours in the car. Why didn't you fly and rent a car on the other end? 1500 miles is way outside my fly/drive decision point.

It was about 1200 miles round trip driving a 7.3L diesel pulling a trailer filled with animals.

Ever try to fly with 8 animals?

Then, how would we get around once there?

smokin762
11-26-2012, 16:20
I never understand why people think a couple is considered one person. Does Airlines, Bus Companies or Train Companies only charge for 1 person when a couple travels? If so, then I would understand it. If not, then every butt can pitch in on the cost.

When I travel with others, I usually drive. I let others know, Iíll cover the gas to our destination and they can pay on the return trip.

dac1204
11-26-2012, 16:56

How do you figure that? I took my wife to the new Twilight movie and they charged me for two tickets. We went to Vegas back in August and Frontier charged me for two tickets.

The correct answer in my opinion is that everyone pays a 1/3 for gas and they should chip in more for wear and tear unless the trailer is theirs. Of course as others have stated this should be agreed upon before leaving.

itisbruno
11-26-2012, 17:18
That was my thinking dac, but i didn't say a word and accepted what he offered, no since making a big deal over little things.

F14Scott
11-26-2012, 17:22
It was about 1200 miles round trip driving a 7.3L diesel pulling a trailer filled with animals.

Oh. Never mind.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H4DIe6GwqvE/UFN8Xfyic3I/AAAAAAAAAnA/wPL685brXsQ/s1600/RosannaDanna_l.jpg

Dennis in MA
11-26-2012, 18:17

I fly Southwest. I fly with about 150 animals every time.

itisbruno
11-26-2012, 18:20
do sheep fly free?

:tongueout:

Cavalry Doc
11-26-2012, 18:23
To share fuel expenses. The total fuel cost is $120.

What is your share of the fuel cost?

Unless they weigh a lot more than your vehicle, 1/2 would be fair.

IGotIt
11-26-2012, 18:35
I'm guessing you were either going to a fair with show animals, or a rodeo. Being that all three of you were involved in the activity, I would expect the cost to be split in two unless they asked you to drive and use your vehicle, then their cost should be upped.

MAC702
11-28-2012, 15:17
Was it brought up who sat where?

If "she doesn't count" and I was expected to pay half, I'd be expecting the front seat. Or at least have it offered for me to decline to her. Likewise, I'd expect 1/2 the vote on when and where to stop for food and stuff.

If she was actually attending whatever event in full capacity, then she most certainly does count, and I would expect 1/3.

If she was really just along for the ride to keep her man company, then I can see 1/2.

BamaBud
11-28-2012, 18:34
One thing overlooked in ALL these replies:

If you accept ANY compensation for driving someone else, your liability is nearly unlimited. Most insurance policies only cover travel for personal use, having someone pay turns your vehicle status into a livery. Do you have insurance that covers you becoming a cabbie?

At least that is what my insurance agent explained to me when I asked once.

itisbruno
11-28-2012, 19:08
One thing overlooked in ALL these replies:

If you accept ANY compensation for driving someone else, your liability is nearly unlimited. Most insurance policies only cover travel for personal use, having someone pay turns your vehicle status into a livery. Do you have insurance that covers you becoming a cabbie?

Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN

I'll nevah drive again

:scared:

She was a full participant at the event, Mac.

MAC702
11-29-2012, 00:01

I'm not buying this. There was no intention to clear any kind of profit, and that should be what makes the difference. Taking a friend along and sharing expenses (no matter HOW) is still "personal use."

MAC702
11-29-2012, 00:02
She was a full participant at the event, Mac.

That's the crux. It should have been 1/3.

Happypuppy
11-29-2012, 01:10
40.00 if they help drive. Otherwise 60.00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Critias
11-29-2012, 01:28
Bummer about the whole situation, and hopefully it won't screw up the friendship too much. After a similar situation happened a few years ago, I try to hammer out details before anyone gets in the car (and ideally before we all even agree on the driving arrangement). It's better to clear the air during pre-travel conversations than to be pissed off as you hopscotch from gas station to gas station, y'know?

I just don't understand the "couples count as one person" mindset. When Mrs. Crit and I chip in on hotel rooms, car rentals, gas money, our share of a meal, or whatever else goes on with some of our convention trips, it's never occurred to me to go "Woah, wait, we're married! Score, we only count as one person, suckers," and try to rip off my friends.

JerryVO
11-29-2012, 12:18
I am shocked on how many people have a method of splitting gas costs with friends. Are you going to this event anyway? If so that what extra does it cost to have an friend or even a similar interest buddy ride with you? NOTHING. If they are a good friend and it is a short tip they will buy you a drink when you get there... if it is a long trip they will buy you dinner or offer to buy the next tank of gas if it is a multi tank trip. I cant see any scenario where I would ask a friend or casual interest sharer for gas money. If they are a decent human being regardless of friendship they will reciprocate in some way without asking. If they do not you are not 'out' anything and you know what kind of person they are and they can walk next time.

redbaron007
11-29-2012, 12:23
If it is my car, and I was going regardless of their riding along...it's all on me....I would not demand anything, but if they offered, would take some.

On the flip side, if I/wife were riding with you, I'd pay $60 at a minimum.

Just me.

:wavey:

red

syntaxerrorsix
11-29-2012, 14:42

That's how we play it.