Ar scopes and accessories [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ar scopes and accessories

*ASH*
11-25-2012, 12:17
i have seen hologrpahic scopes then regular scopes , then i have seen both on at same time ?? which way is good and what are some good scopes . ?

and cheapest places to buy mags :supergrin:

WoodenPlank
11-25-2012, 12:28
This is another one of those subjects that comes up 2-3 times a week. A little searching )or just going back a page or two) would help you out a lot.

Aimpoints (red dot) and EO Techs (holographic) are the two most common non-magnified sights, in my experience. Primary Arms, Vortex, and a few others offer more economical options, but they may not be as durable as, say, an Aimpoint. Even EO Techs dont quite hold up to Aimpoint's reliability or battery life.

For magnified optics, there are tons of options. Everything from $100 basic scopes to $3,000+ Leupold, Nightforce, and US Optics models.

If you can give some different uses you might be interested in an optic for, you'll get more concise suggestions of what would work well for you.

boomhower
11-25-2012, 15:07
First determine what kind of shooting you do and how much money you want to spend, that would at least narrow down the discussion a bit.

MrMurphy
11-25-2012, 15:13
Agreed. I have spent as little as $100 on a scope, and as much as $3,000.

Every one has it's purpose.

K. Foster
11-25-2012, 20:52
what are some good scopes . ?

Nightforce.

camelotkid
11-25-2012, 20:56
There is a thread about 10 pmags for $100 that is going on now I ordered some today, best deal I have seen

arushus
11-26-2012, 00:11
I can only tell you what I did myself on my AR since that is all I have experience with. I mounted a Burris 2-7x35 on a burris PEPR mount with a burris fastfire on top. It has worked well for me, but it does add some weight. I do still like to go back to the good ol' iron sights every now and then.

friar
11-26-2012, 04:43
Agreed. I have spent as little as $100 on a scope, and as much as $3,000.

Every one has it's purpose.

My experience is almost the same as MrMurphy's with my upper limit being a couple of Nightforce scopes. I recently acquired an AimPoint Pro for one on my carbines, and for the $ I really like it.

MrMurphy
11-26-2012, 08:16
At one point during a suppressed night vision shoot I had around $45,000 in optics sitting on a table in front of one rifle.

Not counting the night vision (which added another $10,000).

Optics aren't cheap, but QUALITY optics are expensive for a reason.

Thankfully, I didn't own any of it......that stuff does wipe out the bank account quick.

btaylor
11-26-2012, 08:56
This is another one of those subjects that comes up 2-3 times a week. A little searching )or just going back a page or two) would help you out a lot.

Aimpoints (red dot) and EO Techs (holographic) are the two most common non-magnified sights, in my experience. Primary Arms, Vortex, and a few others offer more economical options, but they may not be as durable as, say, an Aimpoint. Even EO Techs dont quite hold up to Aimpoint's reliability or battery life.

For magnified optics, there are tons of options. Everything from $100 basic scopes to $3,000+ Leupold, Nightforce, and US Optics models.

If you can give some different uses you might be interested in an optic for, you'll get more concise suggestions of what would work well for you.

This is all you need. I like Aimpoint for all the above reasons. For telescopic you can add a magnifier to your Aimpoint, I have a 3x with a pivoting and quick disconnect mount. For a more traditional scope, on my Mini14 I really like the Nikkon M-223. Variable power with bullet drop compensated reticle. With glass optics, it is one of the places that you definitely get what you pay for so expect to pay more for quality optics.

PEC-Memphis
11-26-2012, 10:07
Of course the best optic depends upon your application. Depending upon your application, an optical sight may not even be your best option, ie. "iron sights" might be your best option.

For most AR applications, I think you should consider the Burris TAC-30 or MTAC.

At 1x you can shoot both eyes open like an reflex or holographic. At 4x, the scope is easily useful to 200-250 yards (and a bit farther in the right hands), with ballistic drop compensation. The recticle is illuminated, but does not require illumination (batteries) for use (like a holographic or reflex).

If you sight in for BDC (100 yards to center) you will have to adjust (aim high) for close shooting.

Mine has been durable and a good "bang-for-the-buck" sight.

Travclem
11-26-2012, 10:17
I shot a rifle with a Leupold 1-6x VX-6 on it this weekend. At 1x it functions just like an Aimpoint or Eotech, there is no parallax and it can be shot with both eyes open. That will be the next optic I purchase after I pay for my Nightforce for my OBR. I was extremely impressed with that Leupold.

BTW a 7.5" RRA SBR with a Surefire Mini suppressor is capable of 1" groups at 100 yards with that Leupold.:supergrin: