Ever get the feeling that you've been conned? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever get the feeling that you've been conned?

jbailey8
11-25-2012, 15:23
Funny thing happened to me earlier this year and I always felt as if I had been taken advantage of.

Here it is...

I was at a Walmart in El Paso, TX sometime in January or February. I park the car as usual and head into the store when the strangest thing happened. A man, who I thought was going to ask for money, approached me and said, "Excuse me sir, do you think on your way out (he started to look at a piece of paper) that you might have some extra milk, eggs, cheese, etc that you could spare? My daughter is having a shower and I can't afford the stuff to throw her a party."

I thought to myself, "WTF? Is this guy serious?" So I called his bluff, "Let me see your list." (He hands it to me and I glance at it) "Ok, I think I can get some of this, I'll be right back." So, I took the guys list and went on about my business. The list had about 10-12 items on it: eggs, cheese, cake mix, milk... You get the point. I bought everything except a card and flowers. The total ended up being right around 20 dollars. I came out of the store and saw him there, waiting patiently. I told him that I got almost everything, but didn't know what kind of card or flowers he wanted so I didn't get them. He thanked me and I gave him 20 dollars cash to do whatever with. I watched the man walk over and put the stuff in a Volvo and then drive off.

Well this is why I felt that I had been gotten. I was at the same Walmart a couple of weeks later and saw the same man approaching people again. I didn't think much of it at the time and I didn't talk to him. After I got home and thought about it I wondered if he just made up the whole story just to get money. Would someone, who didn't appear to be homeless, go through the trouble of making a list and a sob story to convince people to give him money. He didn't ask me for money, he just wanted groceries. Idk.

mj9mm
11-25-2012, 15:28
ask the store manager if they have gotten any complaints regarding this example, give them his description. he may be legitamate or have other problems.

fusegsp
11-25-2012, 15:32
This is the kind of thing my girlfriend would fall for. She's a weirdo magnet. That is kind of funny that he didn't ask for money, just groceries. I'm surprised he didn't ask you to come back to his place, bake the cake for him, and then explain to his daughter why she didn't get the card and flowers.

Dubble-Tapper
11-25-2012, 15:36
yeah, like every election ever.

dango
11-25-2012, 15:36
Don't dwell on it and a pat on the back from me . Not enough compassion in the world as it is and as far as conned , you got it coming back at you in a good way ! Happy Holidays to you and your's ! :wavey:

PPinesRon
11-25-2012, 15:39
Some people would return the stuff for cash.

Used to be a con where people would snatch up the receipts some folks toss when they leave the store, head into the store, fill the list, then head to customer service and return the stuff for a refund, receipt in hand. Most stores have prevention measures in place, but not all.

Rotn1
11-25-2012, 15:40
When I lived in Illinois, and before the I-Pass the toll road agents would try to short change you about 10% of the time.
........And every time I buy a car.

Hailstorm
11-25-2012, 15:41
In your heart. You did good. That was your intention. If you see the guy again. Sure, check it out. But, don't dwell on it. Because if you run into someone who actually needs a little help. You may not do it for fear of getting con'd again.

Be proud you made the attempt to ease the burdon of someone in need. Until proven otherwise. Even then. Don't hold a grudge on someone else.

happyguy
11-25-2012, 15:41
This is the kind of thing my girlfriend would fall for. She's a weirdo magnet. That is kind of funny that he didn't ask for money, just groceries. I'm surprised he didn't ask you to come back to his place, bake the cake for him, and then explain to his daughter why she didn't get a card and flowers.

I'm sure I've been taken before but I don't worry about it. I never "give 'till it hurts" and I figure if they are liars it's on them. I know for a fact I've helped some honest folk who have been down on their luck and that is enough for me.

The lady I helped today was definitely not conning me. I changed her flat tire in the Kroger parking lot. Hubby showed up just as I was finishing and offered me $20. I just told him to help out the next lady in distress he comes across.

Wish I could do more, but I'm just one old low income old fart in the wind.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Bruce M
11-25-2012, 15:43
What you did for him came from the heart so you should be commended for helping. Was the receipt for the stuff you bought in the bag? Did you pay cash for the groceries? Especially since you saw him again I am guessing it is a con/scam. My first guess is returning the stuff for cash or re-selling it elsewhere (i.e. flea market.)

Jon_R
11-25-2012, 15:43
Yes feel I have been conned sometimes. Generally I just don't care a few bucks just not that big of a deal. A good creative story might be worth 10 or 20 bucks so bring something fun and creative to the table.

czsmithGT
11-25-2012, 15:49
Funny thing happened to me earlier this year and I always felt as if I had been taken advantage of.

I KNOW I've been conned. Don't give it another thought except to know that you demonstrated you have a good heart.

Hamilton Burger
11-25-2012, 15:50
A somewhat more elaborate take on the gas-can/out-of-gas game. :steamed:

Ever buy a new car? Talk about a con game. You can try to con them back, but the really good conners will let you think you're conning them in order to con you.

raven11
11-25-2012, 15:54
There w a guy who would drive around movie theaters in a old GMC van asking for money.

That felt too much like a 20/20 investigation sting

jbailey8
11-25-2012, 15:58
I've since moved back home to Virginia and haven't given it much thought. I've told the story a couple times and people generally feel as if I was gotten.

El Paso had a lot of homeless people and you'd go broke if you tried to help every one of them. Inner man had a sign that said he was blind and hungry so I bought him a sub and gave him a gallon of water. Another time I saw a sign that read, "Bet you a dollar you read this sign." I laughed and have him a dollar. The one that sticks out the most, my wife and I were headed to the mall and I saw a man standing in the cold with one shoe on. Had I been able to get into the turning lane I would've given him mine. When I turned around he was gone.

fusegsp
11-25-2012, 16:00
Duh. I think I know why he asked for groceries instead of cash. He probably got shot down quite a few times by people like me that say they don't have any cash, only credit cards. Smart.

ray9898
11-25-2012, 16:07
Of course you got scammed. They guy at the gas station who needs gas money because he is stranded on his trip after losing his wallet is BSing you also.

NDCent
11-25-2012, 16:09
You're better than a wife, you not only shop while he sits in the car, you pay for the stuff, too. :supergrin:

All joking aside, if you get bored I got a list I can share. If we can meet weekly, maybe I could afford a Volvo. :whistling:

SMOKEin
11-25-2012, 16:15
Standing on the patio of a bar yesterday, homeless man picks a nasty 3/4 smoked cig out of the gutter and asks me for a light. I told him to toss that away and gave him 4 or 5 that I had left in my pack, along with a lighter. We got talking for a bit, he was a nice enough guy. My drunk buddy came out and asked him if he wanted a beer or a shot, both of which he declined, he said that alcohol keeps people in the streets and he was working his hardest to get out. I asked him if he wanted a burger or sandwich, he broke down full blown, slobbering, shaking, tears running down his face.

Long story short, my buddies and I went down to the shelter down the road and prepaid the $7 a night fee that they charge for them to stay there (odd) for the next 10 days and tossed him some scratch for food.

I have been so jaded and holding a negative attitude towards the homeless, aka lazy drunk slobs, yesterday was a wonderful eyes opener for everyone involved.

Annoyedgrunt
11-25-2012, 16:15
This type of crap is why I don't trust anyone, nowadays, except for immediate family. Everyone else is guilty until proven innocent.

dabigguns357
11-25-2012, 17:17
Yes,every paycheck.All I have to do is look at my taxes and start tearing up.

Don't we all get conned,just look at welfare:whistling:

GAFinch
11-25-2012, 17:47
There's been a few times I've run into someone with a very elaborate story and then run into them a week later telling a similar, but different, story. With churches, charities, and taxpayer-funded programs around everywhere, I see little reason to believe these guys.

janice6
11-25-2012, 17:49
I am married.

countrygun
11-25-2012, 17:54
I am married.

Beat me to it.

All I can add is "Ever pay alimony"?

jpa
11-25-2012, 18:25
I wouldn't have a problem buying groceries for the guy, but I wouldn't hand over cash. If anything, buy him a gift card with enough on it to cover the stuff you wanted to buy but didn't know what he wanted.

I've taken homeless people to mcd's. The managers get pissy but I tell them he's with me and if they don't want my money we can both leave. They serve him. I've given bus passes to people claiming they need money for the bus. Usually the pass has a few bucks on it (I used to ride the train to work in Chicago) so I just buy a new one the next day. I offered to buy gas for a guy who claimed he left his wallet at home and had a gas can but suddenly he was good after he found out I wasn't going to give him money.

SCC
11-25-2012, 18:39
I get off the interstate and just about every time this girl is standing with the sign homeless need food and across the road is a must center for the homeless .. and then you take the turn and then you see her boyfriend under the bridge in the shade .. watching to make sure she is ok .. the other day i see the both of them at a cvs walking around a car looking at all of the light on the car to see if they are all working ..

TheExplorer
11-25-2012, 18:45
Working in the city, when I'm asked for money for food, I reply with, do you want food or money. If they pause, you have your answer. One time a man said food for lunch, so I took him into the nearby pizza shop and got him lunch. He asked if he could get a large soda and sausage on his "one" slice of pizza. I'm less suspicious when people ask for food.

TK-421
11-25-2012, 18:53
It's quite possible you got had, but you tried to help someone out who seemed to be in need, and I think you did a good job.

I've heard stories of "homeless" guys who panhandle for money, take off their crappy looking clothes, change into a suit, and go to work for a large company, driving off in their Mercedes. A lot of them say they make $500+ in a day, if not more than that, just from the change people give them. Doubt that much money happens very often, if it happens at all. It's entirely possible it's just a rumor, an urban legend. However, I do believe there are people like that who would try it.

There are some people who intend to take advantage of others, but a lot of the time it's people who really need help. If you're in the giving mood, and have a few extra bucks to spend at the grocery store, then buy some food and take it to your local food pantry.

jbailey8
11-25-2012, 19:07
I usually don't give money, but I guess seeing a family man asking for help was a soft spot for me so I gave him the money too. I chalk it up to a life lesson. Some life lessons cost you 40 bucks, some more, some less.

RWBlue
11-25-2012, 19:52

yeah, like every election ever.

+1

And at the end of every long term relationship.

boone10
11-25-2012, 20:24
Yeah, you got scammed, but I'd be willing to bet he gets several per day. Add it all up and he's making a killing.

Many, like you, just give cash (or cash in addition to whatever he has on his "list"). There is no telling how much people like him can clear (tax-free) per month. And BTW, it wouldn't matter if you did approach him--probably many have that have been taken. He doesn't care, he has no shame, it's just his job and you were one of his patsies.

They take our hearts away from the truly needy. It's a lose-lose situation and just sucks for sure.

wrx04
11-25-2012, 20:48
I never give to anyone who asks for money anymore. Its sad when you cant trust the people who appear desperate.

I would bet that MOST are scammers.

G29Reload
11-25-2012, 20:58
Sucker. You were had. The guy in the volvo (clue) has a scam going.

jbailey8
11-25-2012, 21:03
Sucker. You were had. The guy in the volvo (clue) has a scam going.I like how I'm a sucker because I didn't ask him what kind of car he drives.

Flex
11-25-2012, 21:10
I watched the man walk over and put the stuff in a Volvo and then drive off.

I'm sorry, but :rofl: I couldn't help it.

Flex :supergrin:

4 glocks
11-25-2012, 21:11
I was going in McD one day. This guy approched me asking for money saying how hungery he was. I ask have you eaten today? He said no nothing all day long. I said come on in and I will buy you something to eat. He looked at me and said I would reather have cash. I just walked off.

jbailey8
11-25-2012, 21:15
I'm sorry, but :rofl: I couldn't help it.

Flex :supergrin:In my defense it was an old Volvo. Lol

Folsom_Prison
11-25-2012, 21:28
I was talking to this chic online, finally went to meat her and when I arrived a gentleman from dateline came around the corner......:whistling:

jbailey8
11-25-2012, 21:59
I was talking to this chic online, finally went to meat her and when I arrived a gentleman from dateline came around the corner......:whistling:Were you the Rabbi or the high school principal? Lol

Dennis in MA
11-26-2012, 10:03
This is the kind of thing my girlfriend would fall for. She's a weirdo magnet. That is kind of funny that he didn't ask for money, just groceries. I'm surprised he didn't ask you to come back to his place, bake the cake for him, and then explain to his daughter why she didn't get the card and flowers.

Must resist urge to comment. . .

Standing on the patio of a bar yesterday, homeless man picks a nasty 3/4 smoked cig out of the gutter and asks me for a light. I told him to toss that away and gave him 4 or 5 that I had left in my pack, along with a lighter. We got talking for a bit, he was a nice enough guy. My drunk buddy came out and asked him if he wanted a beer or a shot, both of which he declined, he said that alcohol keeps people in the streets and he was working his hardest to get out. I asked him if he wanted a burger or sandwich, he broke down full blown, slobbering, shaking, tears running down his face.

Long story short, my buddies and I went down to the shelter down the road and prepaid the $7 a night fee that they charge for them to stay there (odd) for the next 10 days and tossed him some scratch for food.

I have been so jaded and holding a negative attitude towards the homeless, aka lazy drunk slobs, yesterday was a wonderful eyes opener for everyone involved.

Thanks, yo. "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

In my defense it was an old Volvo. Lol

Oh, that's the reason he needs $ - those things are money pits.

I was talking to this chic online, finally went to meat her and when I arrived a gentleman from dateline came around the corner......:whistling:

Meat? LOL

PaulMason
11-26-2012, 10:50

You have a good heart and want to help but I would suggest another idea.

Give some money to a food bank in your area. Then print out from your computer business size notes with the name and address of the food bank*.

This does two things - gets the person out of the parking lot and into a place that can get them on the path to helping themselves.

On the downside of what you are currently doing is possibly diverting your charity to a scammer and encouraging people to ask for help at a parking lot.

*If the food bank you contribute to is not close tell the person you give at your church. The other thing to do is say no to the person asking.

FullClip
11-26-2012, 11:07
MeAt her....or meet her?? Kinda' different things ya' know..:whistling:

LSUAdman
11-26-2012, 11:38
I'm sure we've all been conned at least once or twice - some just dont admit it.

One time that stands out in my mind was when I was back in college. My girlfriend and I would head up to New Orleans for the weekend sometimes, which would eventually lead to us walking up and down Bourbon St a little tipsy.

One night I had a big paycheck from work and was happily spending like a moron. Some guy walks up to me and asks if I'd like a shoe shine. Says it's $20 upfront.

Like a moron I hand him the cash up front, and he goes to work on my shoes. I forget what he used, but it looked like amonia and a crappy bristle brush. Shoes looked like ****. The whole time he is telling me this story - about "wisdom."

At the end, my shoes are scuffed up, he gets up and finishes the story, "and you know what I've learned after 40 years of life? Never pay a guy upfront who's never shined a shoe before." And then he runs off like a bat out of hell.

I just stood there, mouth a gape, and my girlfriend is laughing her ass off. Later that night she asked why I wasnt mad and why I didnt chase after him. Told her that I paid the stupid tax tonight and learned my lesson.

GWSHARK
11-26-2012, 12:19
no way to really tell...

some lady hit me up in atlanta at the gas station with a sob story... the I wasn't 100% sure about. I put $15 in her tank, but left feeling like I may have been swindled.

:dunno:

janice6
11-26-2012, 12:21
Beat me to it.

All I can add is "Ever pay alimony"?

Can't afford divorce. (Hang in there):crying:

In spite of adverse results, it is still right to try to do good things for others (carefully). Sometimes they really need it.

Fear Night
11-26-2012, 13:40
I felt this way on the evening of November 6th, 2012.