Cleaned A Few Guns Today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned A Few Guns Today

sawgrass
11-25-2012, 17:52
So of the 3 guns that I cleaned today:

One has GI guide rod. (Springfield Pro)

One has a full length guide rod. (Baer SRP)

One has a two piece full length guide rod. (Springfield TRP)

I couldn't clean any of them without either an allen wrench or a plastic bushing wrench. All tight.

I'm not really one to make a lot of changes if I buy something that I consider 'good' out of the box.

The GI seems the simplest.

Discuss.

glock2740
11-25-2012, 18:00
Over the past couple of years, all of my new guns have been built with the GI setup and most of my FLGR guns have been converted. I personally can't see the reason for a FLGR. I haven't lost any accuracy or reliability and things are simplified IMO. Hey Sawgrass, why don't you post up a pic of that SRP. I'd like to check it out. And what are your thoughts on racking the slide on the Pro? :cool:

sawgrass
11-25-2012, 18:27
Racking the Pro goes like this: Grab the slide with my left hand, take a deep breath, push gun forward with my right hand.

Here's a pic of the SRP.

sawgrass
11-25-2012, 18:35
I'm not really a fan of FCS. The Baer would look better without them IMO. I don't really like external extractors either, because of the additional lines. To me it's like a 1911 is so graceful and beautiful, less is truly more.

That said, does anyone know why FN put external extractors on Browning Hi Powers after like 30 years or something without them?

Glock2740 you are the last guy that I thought would want to see my only other 'black' gun. :rofl:

glock2740
11-25-2012, 18:45
Racking the Pro goes like this: Grab the slide with my left hand, take a deep breath, push gun forward with my right hand.

Here's a pic of the SRP.
Great looking gun. :thumbsup:
I'm not really a fan of FCS. The Baer would look better without them IMO. I don't really like external extractors either, because of the additional lines. To me it's like a 1911 is so graceful and beautiful, less is truly more. I agree.

Glock2740 you are the last guy that I thought would want to see my only other 'black' gun. :rofl:
:rofl:Good point. :rofl:

You know I love the hardchrome/stainless/NP3+ guns, but I do like the black one's too. :cool:

sawgrass
11-25-2012, 18:57
You know I love the hardchrome/stainless/NP3+ guns, but I do like the black one's too. :cool:

Maybe you should post a pic of your GI CCO. I look at the pic on addicts more than I care to admit. :embarassed:

bac1023
11-25-2012, 21:06
I actually like the 2-piece guide rods for whatever reason. :dunno:

20South
11-25-2012, 21:27
The only FLGR I had was in my TRP. It has since been converted along with the grip screws to make them slotted. I have no need for the FLGR and having to go get a special tool to break it down is just hassle to me.

20South
11-25-2012, 21:28
Great guns btw!

CanIhaveGasCash
11-26-2012, 03:42
You should throw a TRP operator into the mix. You need a paperclip to take it apart.

The GI setup is much easier.

buckhorn_cortez
11-26-2012, 04:40
You don't need a tool or a paper clip to take the slide off of a pistol with a full length guide rod. You hold the pistol in one hand with your fingers over the top of the slide and your thumb behind the beaver tail.

Push the slide back with your free hand to line up the take down notch and hold the gun in place with the grip over the top and behind the beaver tail. Pull out the slide release and then let the slide move forward from the recoil spring pressure. Pull the slide off of the frame with one hand with the fingers wrapped under the slide to retain the recoil spring and guide rod in place.

Reassemble the gun the reverse of taking it apart. I have an EMP, a Wilson Supergrade Elite Tactical, and a Bob Marvel custom - all with full length guide rods and have no problem taking them apart using the method I've described.

glock2740
11-26-2012, 06:03
Maybe you should post a pic of your GI CCO. I look at the pic on addicts more than I care to admit. :embarassed:

Here you go. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/IMG_4008.jpg

ca survivor
11-26-2012, 07:30
I convert every 1911 I own to GI set up, specially for the weight of the FLGR.

faawrenchbndr
11-26-2012, 07:32
Purdy,..........

sawgrass
11-26-2012, 09:15
Here you go. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/IMG_4008.jpg

That is a beautiful gun. Clean lines and no smudges.

sawgrass
11-26-2012, 09:47
I actually like the 2-piece guide rods for whatever reason. :dunno:

Have you ever had one come loose while shooting?
I've read something about that. But it could just be internet talk.

Do you change your guns to two piece?

sawgrass
11-26-2012, 09:48
Great guns btw!

Thank you.

faawrenchbndr
11-26-2012, 09:53

The two piece in my Loaded project would come loose, unless I
Used thread locker. I changed to a GI set-up.

vtducrider
11-26-2012, 16:48
I forgot to put the guide rod back in when I re-assembled my 1911. The gun still shot fine, so I decided to leave the rod out. In fact, I think I shoot more accurately without it.

Not sure if there is much to discuss. Do you like red hose better or blue hose?

fnfalman
11-26-2012, 17:56
If JMB were to want his gun to have a full length guide rod, he would have designed one in.

It wasn't like the full length guide rod is an unknown design back in the early 1900s. The Colt 1903 has one.

bac1023
11-26-2012, 20:22

I've never had one come loose, but it does happen.

No, I don't change anything to two piece, but I have several that came with them stock.

bac1023
11-26-2012, 20:24
If JMB were to want his gun to have a full length guide rod, he would have designed one in.

It wasn't like the full length guide rod is an unknown design back in the early 1900s. The Colt 1903 has one.

It certainly doesn't need it. I just think they're cool for whatever reason. :cool:

Jim S.
11-29-2012, 20:14
I prefer a G.I. set up and if they are tight I do what is necessary to make them come apart without tools.
I don't see a reason for a bushing to be that tight in a slide where you need a wrench.
My thought is that someday I may not have a wrench.
Then what?

glock2740
11-29-2012, 20:28
It can be done without a wrench. Just pop the slide off and go from there. That's the only way I knew how to do it before you tube came along. :) PITA to get the spring back in, but trust me, it can be done. :)

mleroux21
11-29-2012, 22:03
It can be done without a wrench. Just pop the slide off and go from there. That's the only way I knew how to do it before you tube came along. :) PITA to get the spring back in, but trust me, it can be done. :)

i agree. I disassemble all my 1911's by pulling slide off and capturing the spring at the same time. It also prevents any scratches from occurring to the plug.

deguelo
11-29-2012, 22:45
gi all the way..... i know it doesn't take three hands to take down a 1911 with a flgr, but the two you might have should be better than mine.......