Don't get too caught up in handloading. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Don't get too caught up in handloading.

freakshow10mm
11-25-2012, 17:43
This is embarrassing.

So I'm out hunting tonight and have my 10mm Commander that I built. Handloads of course. See a nice buck 200y away in a field, so I put on the stalk. Get to about 60y away or so, and I'm thinking I might not be so accurate, as I haven't shot the gun in over a year, save for slaughtering the pig last month. Try to move in 10y closer and I drop my glove. Deer spooks and runs off. Damn. :faint:

I learned a lesson. Shoot as much as you reload. The number one reason many shooters start to handload is cost. We usually reinvest that savings per round into shooting more for the same money, making us better marksmen. Once we start to focus more on loading and less on shooting, it can have a detrimental effect to our marksmanship and confidence. Two years ago I was shooting 2,000 rounds a month and would have taken that 60y shot without hesitation. Lately, with more focus on handloading than shooting, I lost my confidence in my marksmanship.

It might be a hunting situation, it might be a shooting match, or worse yet a self defense situation. Handloading can be fun and I like the "I shoot to reload" sentiment, but let's not lose focus of handloading to make us better shooters.

Just kind of having one of those moments while rethinking my bad night out hunting.

10mmbob
11-25-2012, 18:30
True words Freak. I was loading so much .223 just to see how many ammo cans I could fill, I forgot that burnt gun powder smells so much better than unburnt gunpowder. Time to take the AR out for a spin!

yellowhand
11-25-2012, 18:52
Shoot 50, save 50!
Shoot 500, save 500!

Ironbar
11-25-2012, 19:58
I learned a lesson. Shoot as much as you reload.

I fully intend to! I want to shoot MORE than I shoot now, especially my Garand.

xdmikey
11-25-2012, 20:08
Thanks for the thread freakshow.
Things seem to have gone to **** in nwhouston and I think I need to spend some time at the range!

shotgunred
11-26-2012, 05:55
A 60 yard shot with a pistol seems extreme to me. Glad to hear your more worried about an ethical shot than getting a deer at any cost.

F106 Fan
11-26-2012, 06:54
I have never been confused about the relationship between shooting and reloading!

I do not get up in the morning thinking "Oh boy, I'm going to reload today!" although I do get up some mornings thinking "Oh boy, I'm going shooting today!".

Shooting is the hobby, reloading is the cost. For me, it has always been as simple as that.

Richard

jmorris
11-26-2012, 07:21
A 60 yard shot with a pistol seems extreme to me.

I have taken deer out to 225 yds with a pistol, it will also group 1.5 " at 200 yds.

TBO
11-26-2012, 07:31
I have taken deer out to 225 yds with a pistol, it will also group 1.5 " at 200 yds.

What type /brand /model /caliber /load?

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

freakshow10mm
11-26-2012, 07:36
A 60 yard shot with a pistol seems extreme to me. Glad to hear your more worried about an ethical shot than getting a deer at any cost.
When I was shooting a lot, a 100y shot on a deer with my 10mm was no problem. I was dealing with a strong crosswind so I wanted to close the distance and make sure I made a hit. Even if I took the shot at 60y, I had a high probability of hitting the vitals. The gun and ammo are that mechanically accurate (180gr XTP with Longshot), but add the fact that I had just stalked 150y in 20 degree weather while it snowed and had a 15pmh crosswind to deal with and my hand was cold from being gripped on the gun (took glove off to shoot) when I got to about 75y away. Earlier in the week when it was a high of 50s and no snow or wind, I would have taken that shot without hesitation, even having not shot in over a year. It was mostly the weather factor but my lack of recent shooting made me hold off.

jmorris
11-26-2012, 07:56
What type /brand /model /caliber /load?

Of my hunting handguns the Remington XP-100 in 7mm BR is the most accurate, using 139g Nosler partitions for hunting medium size game.

There are lots of choices to choose from that make the distance less of a factor, optics make a lot of difference.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/hunting.jpg

fredj338
11-26-2012, 13:00
So true, Shooting, especially handguns, is not like riding a bike, it is a skill set that diminishes w/o practice. One reason I am competing again, keeps me sharp because I shoot for real at least 3x a month

scccdoc
11-26-2012, 13:09
I reload also, but I prefer hearing and feeling the gun go bang! DOC

freakshow10mm
11-26-2012, 23:45
So true, Shooting, especially handguns, is not like riding a bike, it is a skill set that diminishes w/o practice. One reason I am competing again, keeps me sharp because I shoot for real at least 3x a month
Last year and a half has been tough with the new baby. Before she came along, I had all day to load ammo, shoot, etc. Now I spend days with her and work evenings into the nights. No time to shoot.

I Shooter
11-27-2012, 05:50
I bought my place in the country so I could shoot more. I was in to IHMS and had to drop out because of the place I bought.

I didn't have time to shoot between work and fixing the place up. I had no time for shooting. Oh, I made time to keep my hand in but nothing like I would have liked to.

Now that I am retired I am doing much more shooting. I reload because It allows me to shoot more and have tuned ammo for the guns that I shoot. In short it is an end to a means.

SigFTW
11-27-2012, 09:52
The only things that holds me back from shooting more is that most of my friends can't afford it like I can, I enjoin hitting the range with a buddy over going alone. So my options are, shoot alone (I do most of the time) or find some friends that have a higher income:whistling:

Taking applications for the Texas area:tongueout:

jmorris
11-27-2012, 10:39
Last year and a half has been tough with the new baby. Before she came along, I had all day to load ammo, shoot, etc. Now I spend days with her and work evenings into the nights. No time to shoot.

That's why I finished my computer controlled 1050 and built a bullet trap for the backyard. Be a few years before she is old enough to shoot so I wired into a baby monitor and send the signal out to the shop and play during her two naps.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/cabinet/arm/DSC02403.jpg

scccdoc
11-27-2012, 11:22
That's why I finished my computer controlled 1050 and built a bullet trap for the backyard. Be a few years before she is old enough to shoot so I wired into a baby monitor and send the signal out to the shop and play during her two naps.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/cabinet/arm/DSC02403.jpg

Beautiful baby........................................ DOC

BC Dan
11-27-2012, 13:22
+1 on the cute kidlet!

Great trigger finger control too ;)

shotgunred
11-27-2012, 17:18
Some years you shoot more. Some years you shoot less. When more important things happen you simply push shooting down the priory list. I know this has been a slow shooting year for me also. But what I was doing was more important. Guns and bullets don't go bad just sitting there. When you pick them up next year they will still be good.

nickE10mm
12-02-2012, 09:09
So true, Shooting, especially handguns, is not like riding a bike, it is a skill set that diminishes w/o practice.

Agreed 100%. **REGULAR** practice is necessary when hunting with handguns...

nickE10mm
12-02-2012, 09:11

I know all about it... only MY daughter is 2.5y now and I still have very little time to shoot and almost no time to reload ... but I see the light at the end of the tunnel coming closer ... :-)

ModGlock17
12-02-2012, 21:39

It does get better in about ... 5 years.

ModGlock17
12-02-2012, 21:39

Good training already. Finger outside the trigger guard.