PS 3 or X BOX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PS 3 or X BOX

Mochahooligan
11-25-2012, 19:52
OK guys I am looking to get a new game console. I have a WII for my kids in the living room,but I have a PS2 in the basement for me. I am just wondering what the GTr's are liking and if you play online or just hang here all day and night?!?!?!?!

I thank any and all responses

TBO
11-25-2012, 19:58
If you have games that will work in a PS 3, get the 3, otherwise get an Xbox.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

nmstew
11-25-2012, 20:47
Had an XBOX but friends only wanted to play HALO, then not at all. Everything on it worked WELL. Hulu, Netflix, Jessica Chobot:whistling: etc. Hated spending $60/year just to get online:steamed:

Traded XBOX for a PS3 because it has a BR player.:upeyes:
Even the newest games tend not to be in 1080, the online access is subpar, constant updates, nothing works smoothly unless you go in and tweek settings and update like crazy. Supposedly it will work as a 3d BR player, but I don't have the TV, nor do I actually watch BRs,

so

wishing I just kept the XBOX. I hope the next one will do BRs as well. Even if they have to pay Sony, they will kill them.

elliotb33
11-25-2012, 21:02
Wait a yr for the new Xbox

JJohnson
11-25-2012, 21:06

Pick up a used xbox on craigslist for $100 then get the new one in a year.

IndyGunFreak
11-25-2012, 21:14
I just bought a new 360 for $199 (and free shipping) from The Microsoft Store. I had a regular Xbox for years. Just decided recently I wanted to get some new games, etc. I had pretty much the same debate, but all my friends, relatives, their kids, etc.. said the 360 was way better than the PS3.

I play sports games almost exclusively, so I probably could have gotten either system and been happy.

Dang.. Looks like I got lucky. I got the 250gig Console(everyone said to get the 250gig, not the 4gig model) and two games, Halo and some Racing game, for $199. Looks like I caught some holiday sale, because I just checked their website and it's gone.

IGF

TK-421
11-25-2012, 21:33
I have both a 360 and a PS3, my 360 gets way more play time. Yes you pay for online play, and online play is free for the PS3, but, just like most things in life, you get what you pay for. The number one complaint I hear from people about the PS3 is that the online is down during major releases. Black Ops 2 came out? Xbox friends were playing it and having a blast. PS3 friends were complaining that PSN was having issues, lag, downtime, stuff like that. Don't know if that's true or not, I don't play online on my PS3, but it's what they told me.

I also prefer the 360 controller over the PS3. It's bigger, heavier, fits my hands better, feels more solid, I like it. Only issue is that my rechargeable batteries died recently, so I've since switched back to AAs for the time being. Nice thing about that? With my 360 controllers, I replace the dead rechargeable batteries with AAs and keep playing. With my PS3 controller, I'd have to wait for a new PS3 controller.

txglocker23
11-25-2012, 21:36
I had ps3 but traded it in for Xbox and use the apps on it more

truetopath
11-25-2012, 21:39
I love my Xbox 360. The $60 a year sucks but I enjoy all the features.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

DreamWeaver88
11-25-2012, 21:55
Definitely the Xbox. Skip the Blu-Ray Station.

SGT HATRED
11-25-2012, 22:01
From someone with both; Well if you're a gamer I think x box has a better community. But free online gaming with playstation is a plus. Playstation also has the blueray which is awesome. Xbox does have the better games imho halo comes to mind. So to me if you're a casual player PS3 if you're hardcore xbox.

M24C
11-25-2012, 22:24
I have both and for the exclusive games I enjoy the the Xbox games more than the PS3. For online gaming xbox live is better though you do have to pay for it. I believe next year both will be coming out with new boxes.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jpa
11-25-2012, 22:25
buy the xbox. I have both. The only thing my PS3 gets used for is blu ray movies and guitar hero.

97XJ_Sport
11-25-2012, 23:47
Go with the Xbox. I love mine, better online community, better online, period. Like someone stated earlier, you get what you pay for. My friend also has both and only uses the PS3 for movies these days.

jtmac
11-25-2012, 23:55
- The 360 has much better online services, but it costs money. Not that the better services they provide are paying for that improvement: The better online interface the 360 has and and the fact that Xbox Live costs money are unrelated.
- The controllers are a big deal for many. I think the 360 controller is better... except for anything requiring the directiononal pad, in which case the 360 controller is complete garbage.
- If you don't have a Blu-Ray player, the PS3 is great at that.

What it comes down to is a) which online services your friends use and b) which exclusive games each console has that you care about. If you have a PC capable of playing games, the PS3 makes much more sense in most cases, as the amount of cross-platform games available on the PC makes up much of the gap.

LSUAdman
11-26-2012, 15:00
We have all three in the house. Both the PS3 and the 360 died within their first year and were replaced at no cost. MS took about two months to replace; the PS3 took maybe 12 days total.

We play all of them off and on - each has it's own strenghts. If you want first person shooter games, Xbox is probably your thing. Great prices on used ones also. Online costs extra.

If you want to use your system as a media system, then look at PS3. PS3 has some great games, a good backwards compatibility plus runs Blu-ray and stream from your desktop. Online is also free.

Let us know what you choose!

Tango 1Zero
11-26-2012, 15:33
PS3 Never had issues with connecting to play online, and its free to play online. XBOX you pay to play.

Ruble Noon
11-26-2012, 15:41
OK guys I am looking to get a new game console. I have a WII for my kids in the living room,but I have a PS2 in the basement for me. I am just wondering what the GTr's are liking and if you play online or just hang here all day and night?!?!?!?!

I thank any and all responses

Downloads/updates with X Box are significantly faster than PS 3. On the other side, my son is on his 3rd X Box and has gone through numerous controllers while his original PS 3, PS 2 and PS 1 are still kicking.

M&P15T
11-26-2012, 15:53
Been a PS3 user for years, never used an Xbox.

I love the Blue Ray player.
The graphics are slightly better with the PS3, proven by screen shots.
No cost for the PSN, which is rarely down. But when it is it's a frustration.
I love FPS games, and all the major titles are available on both.

rednoved
11-26-2012, 15:57
Xbox.

Osborne
11-26-2012, 16:10

This.

Ruble Noon
11-26-2012, 16:15
Xbox.

XBox is great for honing up on your soldering skills.

NOLA_glock
11-26-2012, 17:21
I jumped on the 360 and PS3 both right when they came out, and later was given a Wii by my gf for Christmas a coupe of years ago. If I had to choose only one, I'd keep the PS3, but I really love my 360, also. I wouldn't be a happy camper. It should be said that a big reason I'd lose the 360 is that the original had no HDMI output (they do now), and its inability to play blu-ray disks (I don't think they have changed that.

Since I'm a poor student again, I'll be lucky to get a new PS system, and it'll likely be at least a year after they're released :rofl:. That's what I'll be looking at in the future, though.

Phaze5ive
11-26-2012, 17:29
Own both.

+ Halo series
+ Xbox Live/Contents
- Xbox Live costs money ($60/year)

PS3

+ Controller Ergonomics
+ Free online play
+ Blu-ray Player
- Online matchmaking sucks

Roger1079
11-26-2012, 18:51
I love my Xbox 360. The $60 a year sucks but I enjoy all the features.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)That $60 a year is what makes the online experience so much better than on the PS3. With the PS3 i had constant disconnects, lag, and so on. It is free though, so this is one of those get what you pay for situations. With the cost of Blu-Ray players being below $100 now, there is no reason to buy a PS3 for that reason anymore.

I will say this though, if you are going to buy an Xbox. Make sure it is one of the newer ones after the redesign that has the fan in the top of the console. The older ones were prone to tons of overheating problems. This has now been fixed with a more efficient processor and the additional fan.

If you want to read up on it, just google 360 RRoD.

DoubleWide
11-26-2012, 19:05
PS3 - blu-ray, media player, free online gameplay.

I don't feel the need to keep paying for a game system.

voyager4520
11-26-2012, 19:07
2015 is supposed to be when the next consoles come out, but they'll be ridiculously expensive and likely quite unreliable.

The Xbox 360 S model and PS3 Slim are quite reliable. As far as I know you can't play PS2 games on a PS3 unless you have one of the earlier unreliable PS3's or you download the few that are still available on the PSN. The 360 has a better online network but you have to pay for it each year, the PS online is free. Obviously the PS3 plays Blu-Rays. The 360 can install games to a hard drive or USB stick though for faster loading times.

I've had a 360 S model for like two years now and it works perfectly. The old 360 reliability problems have been truly cured in this new model. I'd recommend getting the model with a hard drive unless you're paranoid about reliability like I was, I got the $200 model and now that I know it's reliable I'm going to have to spend $130 to get a hard drive.

Low_Speed
11-26-2012, 19:44
I'd go for the X-Box also. It has a better selection of games. Yeah you have to pay for Live but you get a lot for it. Online games, HD rentals of current movies as well as movies not out at the theater yet. Hulu, YouTube, Amazon Prime. And in my opinion the controllers are better unless you have little hobbit hands.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

voyager4520
11-26-2012, 19:47
:rofl: I have these tiny hands...
http://www.jrcharney.com/gallery/burger_king_tiny_hands.jpg

copo9560
11-26-2012, 20:03
My kids have both. PS3 has been more reliable and has less "extra" costs up front. It comes with wireless feature and large hard drive - had to buy these seperate for X-Box. (later versions may have solved this) Have had issues with both platforms. PS3 hard drive died - nice thing here is it uses a laptop one that was easy to swap out - brain on system actually reformatted it when it started up and never looked back. One 360 just smoked - second one had to replace the disk drive once.

Having been inside both internally, I thought the PS3 was better made and easier to get apart. X-box has some pretty cheesy parts on the switching etc but was cheaper to buy.

My biggest complaint is new games costing $60 for either system and being worth less than half that a couple months later when they trade them in. Should have bought stock in GameStop - they are the real winners in this industry.

Slug71
11-26-2012, 22:11
Ps3..

Low_Speed
11-26-2012, 22:53
My kids have both. PS3 has been more reliable and has less "extra" costs up front. It comes with wireless feature and large hard drive - had to buy these seperate for X-Box. (later versions may have solved this) Have had issues with both platforms. PS3 hard drive died - nice thing here is it uses a laptop one that was easy to swap out - brain on system actually reformatted it when it started up and never looked back. One 360 just smoked - second one had to replace the disk drive once.

Having been inside both internally, I thought the PS3 was better made and easier to get apart. X-box has some pretty cheesy parts on the switching etc but was cheaper to buy.

My biggest complaint is new games costing $60 for either system and being worth less than half that a couple months later when they trade them in. Should have bought stock in GameStop - they are the real winners in this industry.

I agree about the price of the games. In this economy $60 per game is what is sucking the game entertainment industry down the drain.

To the brave crew and passengers of the Kobayashi Maru...Sucks to be you.

floorburn_21
11-26-2012, 23:55
Gaming is a pretty serious hobby of mine. It is really the only way a bunch of college buddies could've "hung out" together and over the years we have continued the tradition a couple times a week at least. I have owned both and the xbox is the way to go. Ps3 has free crappy online play and a bluray player. I'd rather spend a few bucks more a year to be happy with the system.

jbutenhoff
11-27-2012, 05:16
I agree about the price of the games. In this economy $60 per game is what is sucking the game entertainment industry down the drain.

To the brave crew and passengers of the Kobayashi Maru...Sucks to be you.

FYI, from what I have read the game industry is expanding fast, it has out grossed Hollywood for several years now! Call of Duty games alone have stomped on the box office gross sales in the US. Yes, COD3 out earned The Avengers in the US...

As for the console, Xbox all the way for me. It is well worth the $35-$40 a year (deals are easy to find on the annual renewals). We use ours constantly for Netflix. I LOVE the voice support with the Kinect too.