New target stands (and teaching a new shooter) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New target stands (and teaching a new shooter)

WarCry
11-25-2012, 19:52
The range I go to usually has iron-welded stands for use with the wooden slats to clip targets to. Last year, I started bringing my own wooden slats because they often times either didn't have any, or didn't have anything but broken ones.

Earlier this year, I was at the range and had a hard time rounding up three stands to use. So, with that in mind, I took some ideas I'd found around here and decided to make my own:

http://www.redgallows.com/pvc.jpg
I took some 1" PVC and make two halves of stands. I filled these with sand, then packed the ends with cotton balls and sealed with silicone glue. Then I put the two halves together with T-joints and cut the joints with grooves for the wooden slats. Took them out for a test drive today:
http://www.redgallows.com/02.jpg
http://www.redgallows.com/03.jpg

Stayed upright in a fair breeze today, so I guess that's a success!

Also, too my niece with us today, and let her use the G17 (VERY closely supervised). She did pretty good, emptied a full mag, hit about 11 out of 17 at around 10 yards.
http://www.redgallows.com/11.jpg

norton
11-26-2012, 05:11
Good on you for taking the next generation out to shoot.
I flip flop back and forth with my target stands. I have cobbled some together with pvc in the past, and I have all wooden stands also. the nice thing about the pvc stands-I can get them in my Jeep Wrangler. The wood target stands I build require the use of my pickup truck. But they are sturdier and withstand more wind.

phil evans
11-26-2012, 05:53
[QUOTE=WarCry;19668749]
I took some 1" PVC and make two halves of stands. I filled these with sand, then packed the ends with cotton balls and sealed with silicone glue. Then I put the two halves together with T-joints and cut the joints with grooves for the wooden slats. Took them out for a test drive today:
[QUOTE]

did the same thing with 1 1/2" pvc, used spent lead slugs from backstop for weight, held in with round backer. all joints friction fit for dismanteling. cost ~$ 2.50.
made brass catcher for bench rest- similar design with a net laundry bag attached with twist ties for catching brass, ~$1.50

bruzer
11-26-2012, 06:00
Excellent. Always nice to see good ideas for stands that work. And to see new target shooters.
Mike

ithaca_deerslayer
11-26-2012, 06:16
A problem I can imagine is when those stands get shot up, you'll have pieces of plastic all over the ground.

With wood, the big pieces can be picked up, and nobody minds the little pieces that will breakdown into the soil eventually.

Ironbar
11-26-2012, 07:41
I made these target stands for myself. Albeit, they're not under $25.00 anymore unless you've got some or all of the materials ahead of time. However, the thing I like about these over the OP's design is that they're not locked into a fixed size. I can make a smaller or larger frame from whatever kind of targets I want to set up!

How to make a Target Stand for under $25 by SAR - YouTube

2@low8
11-26-2012, 07:57
A problem I can imagine is when those stands get shot up, you'll have pieces of plastic all over the ground.

With wood, the big pieces can be picked up, and nobody minds the little pieces that will breakdown into the soil eventually.

This ^^

Mine got hit and made a mess of my personal range. From now on, wood only. That plastic make for some sharp shards.

WarCry
11-26-2012, 09:02

I don't remember ever putting rounds in the ground that far below my target. The PVC part only comes up maybe 2" off the ground at it's highest, and I don't tend to shoot at a downward angle.

One advantage is that they're flat, so they can live in the trunk of my car forever and not really get in the way. A disadvantage is that we also like to shoot "reactive" targets, like water bottles and pumpkins (I'm certain the deer that live at the range LOVE the days I leave pumpkin scattered everywhere). The way I would typically do that is to turn two of the metal frames sideways and lay a 2x4 across them. I realized yesterday this design didn't work for that.

I think I'll grab another length of PVC and make two "U" shapes that can be inverted and secured in the current stands and turned sideways to support the 2x4.

At that point, I can see hitting the PVC becoming a possible issue.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-26-2012, 16:54
I don't remember ever putting rounds in the ground that far below my target.

You should come to my gun club :)

BC Dan
11-27-2012, 17:08
I made similar stands a bunch of years ago out of PVC. They do shatter when struck. I replaced the upright portion with ABS (the black stuff) and any wayward bullets go right through, leaving the pipe with a hole, but intact. YMMV

robin303
11-27-2012, 17:37
Watch out for a windy day. Take some sand bags. Made mine out of scraps and they will blow over.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/robin303/3-3.jpg