LaRue Tactical's LT104 QD Scope Mount (Video) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LaRue Tactical's LT104 QD Scope Mount (Video)

Raleigh Glocker
11-26-2012, 03:54
Though this scope mount has been popular for a while, sometimes it's easy to forget why. In this video, I go over the features that have made the LT104 LaRue's most popular mount as well as the gold standard by which other QD scope mounts are compared. I also take the mount to the range to test LaRue's return to zero guarantee.

I also cover how to deal with the #1 complaint I've seen about LaRue's mounts. :supergrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYG7DXdoPVQ

rick458
11-26-2012, 04:36
I use a LaRue LT-104 for my .458 SOCOM and it 3x9 Nikon.
I will be buying a second one nery soon for an Noveske SPR I'm building and the Mueller scope it will run.
They are the best

03Cobra
11-26-2012, 06:37
I agree, I switch between night vision and a day scope. each have larue mounts and return to zero everytime.

Big Bird
11-26-2012, 07:01
Great review! Lots of information packaged nicely.

However, your credibility went to pieces when you admitted you own a .300 Blackout... :supergrin:

Now if you had wipped out your 6.8 SPC I would have been impressed!:tongueout:

Raleigh Glocker
11-26-2012, 07:59
Great review! Lots of information packaged nicely.

However, your credibility went to pieces when you admitted you own a .300 Blackout... :supergrin:

Now if you had wipped out your 6.8 SPC I would have been impressed!:tongueout:

Ha! :tongueout:

An LWRC Six8 is on my list of purchases for next year if I can even get a hold of one.

PVolk
11-26-2012, 10:33
This mount seems very similar in design to the Burris PEPR. I wonder how they compare in terms of quality?

faawrenchbndr
11-26-2012, 10:44
This mount seems very similar in design to the Burris PEPR. I wonder how they compare in terms of quality?

10x better
Quick disconnects, no tools needed to remove
100% return to zero when removed & reinstalled
Outstanding Larue CS

PVolk
11-26-2012, 10:55
10x better
Outstanding Larue CS
I have no doubts the Larue is top notch.

The Burris (#410344) is QD as well, and claims to return to zero too. Like I said, they are very similar, which is why I was wondering how the quality compares. Has anybody used both?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/arpepr.html

Raleigh Glocker
11-26-2012, 12:07
I have no doubts the Larue is top notch.

The Burris (#410344) is QD as well, and claims to return to zero too. Like I said, they are very similar, which is why I was wondering how the quality compares. Has anybody used both?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/arpepr.html

Hopefully, someone with direct experience will chime in, but just looking at the two mounts, I can see a few significant differences.

1. Of course, the PEPR features rails at the top of each ring. If you like that, the PEPR is the way to go. If you don't plan on mounting anything on top of your rings, that's added bulk and edges you don't really need.

2. It appears that the PEPR requires to you balance the torque among six bolts on each ring while trying not to rotate the scope. For the LT104, you cinch down the base bolts before leveling your reticle, leaving you with only two diagonally-opposed bolts on each ring to tighten.

3. I can't tell if the rings lock into each other like on the LaRue, but the LT104's threaded inserts save a lot of grief (either lapping or being very, very careful with alignment of the rings) when mounting a scope.

4. The QD system on the PEPR clamps from the sides and requires you to balance the tension of both levers to have full and parallel contact with one entire side of the rail. The LT104 can actually be run with only one lever locked and it will still have full engagement of the rail on both sides.

The PEPR might be worth every penny, but on paper, it does seem you get a lot for the extra $40 (retail) you'd spend to get the LT104. I do know that I've seen several satisfied reports from those that sold their PEPRs to get LT104s.

Hopefully, someone who has/had both will be along shortly to give the straight skinny.

faawrenchbndr
11-26-2012, 13:16
Did not know they had a QD model. No experience with it, but,
I'll bet it will not return to zero like the Larue.

You can not expect to drink champagne on a beer budget!

PVolk
11-26-2012, 13:41
1. Of course, the PEPR features rails at the top of each ring. If you like that, the PEPR is the way to go. If you don't plan on mounting anything on top of your rings, that's added bulk and edges you don't really need.
The PEPR actually includes a set of smooth tops as well for those that don't need the bulk of the rails. For some reason, Burris never pictures them though, but they looks just like the tops in the image of the extension rail in my link above.

2. It appears that the PEPR requires to you balance the torque among six bolts on each ring while trying not to rotate the scope. For the LT104, you cinch down the base bolts before leveling your reticle, leaving you with only two diagonally-opposed bolts on each ring to tighten.
The six bolts on each ring is a bit redundant and they probably could have done fine with 4 on each ring. They do include a torque sequence though.

3. I can't tell if the rings lock into each other like on the LaRue, but the LT104's threaded inserts save a lot of grief (either lapping or being very, very careful with alignment of the rings) when mounting a scope.
On the Burris mount, the ring lowers are built into the mount and are non-removeable and non-adjustable.

4. The QD system on the PEPR clamps from the sides and requires you to balance the tension of both levers to have full and parallel contact with one entire side of the rail. The LT104 can actually be run with only one lever locked and it will still have full engagement of the rail on both sides.
This is true of the PEPR. Proper installation does require dial calipers to get front and back tension matched correctly. Only takes a minute though so not a big problem.

I was under the impression that the LT104 used two levers for front and back tensioning and locking just as the PEPR though. So, you're saying each lever serves a separate function? I imagine that might be covered in the video, but my admin has blocked YouTube here at work... Bummer for me.

Hopefully, someone who has/had both will be along shortly to give the straight skinny.
:thumbsup:

PVolk
11-26-2012, 13:46
Did not know they had a QD model. No experience with it, but,
I'll bet it will not return to zero like the Larue.

You can not expect to drink champagne on a beer budget!
Yeah, that's what I'm not sure of either. I own one but haven't used it yet. If it doesn't return to zero, then it's not worth paying any extra for the QD option on the PEPR series. In which case, it would be swapped out for an LT104. :) The Burris does seem to get good reviews though, but who knows how skeptical the reviewers are.

Travclem
11-26-2012, 14:03
The PEPR is Chinese crap, buy LaRue.

faawrenchbndr
11-26-2012, 14:15
Ok,....bluntly, the PEPR is a cheap *** piece of crap.
Pay once, cry once.

Raleigh Glocker
11-26-2012, 20:42
The PEPR actually includes a set of smooth tops as well for those that don't need the bulk of the rails. For some reason, Burris never pictures them though, but they looks just like the tops in the image of the extension rail in my link above.
Oh, that is definitely a very good thing.

On the Burris mount, the ring lowers are built into the mount and are non-removeable and non-adjustable.
Though the LaRue rings are two separate halves, they both lock into the base of the mount. This means that you cannot get any front-to-back offset of the rings that would cause your scope to shoot loose later.

It doesn't appear that the PEPR has any such alignment feature between the upper ring half and the lower half/base. This means that, six bolts be damned, you still have to get the upper half lined up just right in order to have a properly mounted scope.

I was under the impression that the LT104 used two levers for front and back tensioning and locking just as the PEPR though. So, you're saying each lever serves a separate function? I imagine that might be covered in the video, but my admin has blocked YouTube here at work... Bummer for me.

It is covered in the video, sort of. You do get a close up demonstration of how the levers work. Anyone with one of these mounts will tell you that once you lock one of the levers down, that mount is perfectly aligned on the rail and isn't going anywhere. The second lever is almost redundant, which is not a bad thing.

m2hmghb
11-26-2012, 21:04
You just insulted A lot of people with the Taylor Swift reference. Justin Beiber would have been appropriate.

Cole125
11-26-2012, 21:19
Good review, and great channel. :thumbsup: Subscribed!

I'm been impressed with all the LaRue gear I have bought, I need to get a LT104.

Raleigh Glocker
11-27-2012, 06:18
You just insulted A lot of people with the Taylor Swift reference. Justin Beiber would have been appropriate.

Are you a member of the actual fan club? :supergrin: Read the comments- I think Taylor Swift's music is great.

Justin Bieber slams are overdone.

ETA: I will add a note in the vid for those who are into black rifles but are sensitive about Taylor Swift references. :)

Walt_NC
11-27-2012, 16:32
10x better
Outstanding Larue CS

You forgot the locking mechanism on the rear QD lever.

----

It's a truly great mount and innovative design. I have one on my SPR, hosting a Leupold Mk4 MR/T 2.5-8x36. Zero complaints.

Good vid, OP.

K. Foster
11-27-2012, 17:02
First, good Larue video. I agree with all your points.
On the PEPR, I concur with what Pvolk said. And add that the overall fit and finish is cheap compared to Larue and ADM. But the mount is completely serviceable and does return to zero. Somebody mentioned a $40 price difference? This is incorrect. Natchez Shooters has the 30mm on sale for $89.95 Reg $103 about half of what Larue costs.
If you want top of the line, get Larue or ADM but for a budget build, the PEPR will be fine.

MrMurphy
11-27-2012, 17:12
The locking feature on LT mounts was added for safety reasons, not because they were necessary for the mount, but to make them less likely to snag and open during airborne operations. I've never jumped, but just about anything 'jump rated' needs extra safety precautions, and LT mounts do get jumped a lot by certain guys, and they asked for the feature.

So, it got added. Same reason why certain mounts have locking levers on the right instead of the left, to reduce snagging on gear when slung, etc. Troops do have significant input into design, whether people realize it or not.

Big Bird
11-27-2012, 17:34
The locking feature on LT mounts was added for safety reasons, not because they were necessary for the mount, but to make them less likely to snag and open during airborne operations. I've never jumped, but just about anything 'jump rated' needs extra safety precautions, and LT mounts do get jumped a lot by certain guys, and they asked for the feature.

So, it got added. Same reason why certain mounts have locking levers on the right instead of the left, to reduce snagging on gear when slung, etc. Troops do have significant input into design, whether people realize it or not.

When you jump your weapon is in a padded case.

Raleigh Glocker
11-27-2012, 18:19
First, good Larue video. I agree with all your points.
On the PEPR, I concur with what Pvolk said. And add that the overall fit and finish is cheap compared to Larue and ADM. But the mount is completely serviceable and does return to zero. Somebody mentioned a $40 price difference? This is incorrect. Natchez Shooters has the 30mm on sale for $89.95 Reg $103 about half of what Larue costs.
If you want top of the line, get Larue or ADM but for a budget build, the PEPR will be fine.

Thanks!

Natchez's online store listing says "QD" in the description, but the photo is of the non-QD mount.

I did specify the difference in price is retail, not street price, but the MSRP on the QD version of the PEPR is $170, and the MSRP of the non-QD version is $130. It does seem that the PEPRs are available from several sources deeply discounted from that, and you aren't likely to get the LT104 for less than its $210 pricing unless you qualify for a "cool guy" discount.

I'm all for staying in your budget, and if the PEPR works as advertized, then it's good to know it will fill the need. I still keep thinking about all the posts I've read from people who dumped their PEPRs for LT104s, though. They seemed to feel the premium was worth paying after owning both.

Cavalry Doc
11-27-2012, 19:40
:rofl:

He said Taylor Swift.

m2hmghb
11-27-2012, 20:12
Are you a member of the actual fan club? :supergrin: Read the comments- I think Taylor Swift's music is great.

Justin Bieber slams are overdone.

ETA: I will add a note in the vid for those who are into black rifles but are sensitive about Taylor Swift references. :)

Not a member of the fan club, but I do enjoy listening to her. Something about a pretty girl singing relaxes me:supergrin:

MrMurphy
11-27-2012, 20:13
Not everyone jumps static line with a jumpmaster.

And the gear snagging issue is there with fastroping as well, and exiting vehicles or doing entries (seen this personally).

I'm just relating what was told to me directly from the source.