Sometimes, "don't talk to the police" is good advice. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, "don't talk to the police" is good advice.

Bren
11-26-2012, 12:13
I am usually the one saying don't talk to the police is stupid advice, given by amateurs and lawyers who don't deal with legitimate self-defense enough to understand the law.

However, I also mention there are exceptions - mainly when you did something illegal.

Minn. man says he 'fired more shots than I needed' (http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/26/2421783/minn-homeowner-charged-in-fatal.html)

A few samples of what not to say:

After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor. "I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.
"If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," Byron David Smith, 64, of Little Falls, told investigators,

So then he dragged the male's dead body down to his workshop and sat in a chair waiting for the female burglar - shot her in the hip with a Mini-14 - it jammed, of course (it's a Mini-14) so s laughed at him and:
Smith said he then shot Kifer in the chest several times with a .22-caliber revolver, dragged her next to Schaeffel, and with her still gasping for air, fired a shot under her chin "up into the cranium." "Smith described it as 'a good clean finishing shot,'" according to the compliant, but also that he acknowledged he had fired "more shots than (he) needed to."

The next day he asked a neighbor to recommend a good lawyer, :rofl:

So yes, if you are stupid and a psychopath - by all means, don't talk to the police.

Are their any carry Issues or Survival and Prep members we haven't heard from in a few days?

Chuck TX
11-26-2012, 12:21
TBO beat you to it. Somebody must have talked to him by mistake

fnfalman
11-26-2012, 12:23
Jambog!!!

Bren
11-26-2012, 12:25
Oh, well. I liked my title better.

glock_collector
11-26-2012, 16:50
What a nightmare for all involved. I am concerned as an instructor, just north of this mess, some of the media stories almost made it sound alright to kill someone over money or property.

Gallium
11-26-2012, 16:57
Oh, well. I liked my title better.

WTF is this? Some other dude also beat you about the drowned family trying to save the dog. :supergrin:

I prefer your analysis/breakdown of this shooting. The dude was nuts. It is reported he used to travel all over the globe for the US Dept of State.

willie_pete
11-26-2012, 18:06
The cops ought to cut him a break; he didn't want to bother them on Thanksgiving. :rofl:

WP

USMCgs3
11-26-2012, 18:18
What a nightmare for all involved. I am concerned as an instructor, just north of this mess, some of the media stories almost made it sound alright to kill someone over money or property.

Is it not?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bren
11-26-2012, 19:24
The dude was nuts. It is reported he used to travel all over the globe for the US Dept of State.

Like I said: Are there any Carry Issues or Survival and Prep members we haven't heard from in a few days? Maybe Tactics & Training?

Bren
12-05-2012, 12:54
Some more recent articles with some insights into the people involved in this shooting. Obviously, the good side of the two teenagers, but hardly what we usually get from the average teen thug:

According to the obituary for Brady from Emblom Brenny Funeral Service in Little Falls, Brady was born on March 21, 1995 in Little Falls, to Jason and Kimberly (Schaeffel) Brady. He enjoyed wrestling, taekwondo, strength and fitness training, hunting, fishing, camping, four-wheeling and working on his cars and four wheelers. The obituary said, “He also enjoyed a good laugh and his smile could light up a room. He especially enjoyed spending time with his family and friends.”

According to the obituary for Kifer by Emblom Brenny, she was born on Oct. 17, 1994, in Little Falls, to Jay and Jenny (Brady) Kifer. She enjoyed wrestling from kindergarten through fifth grade and then she kept stats for the wrestling team. She also was involved in gymnastics, diving, softball and cross country. The obituary said, “She was a very competitive person in all her sporting events competing even when she was injured. She enjoyed hunting, fishing, camping and spending time with her family and friends.” Kifer also worked several part-time jobs.

Then the shooter - something creepy here:

Lori and Scott Williams, whose property abuts the Smith land, said they were spooked by the man, who often fired guns on his property. They suspected Smith in the disappearance of neighborhood pets, Lori Williams said, and took their concerns to law enforcement. Deputies told her nothing could be done, she said.

Bruce Smith said neither he nor his brother liked dogs because they leave messes.

Smith is an Eagle Scout who grew up in Little Falls and volunteered often in Order of the Arrow, a camping fellowship program within the Boy Scout program. He hired high school kids to help around his property, and for awhile let a teenage neighbor's band play in his two-car garage.

Retired guy in his 60's, single and lived alone, involved in scouting and letting teenagers hang around his house. Seems like a stereotype from a serial killer movie (not far off from John Waybe Gacy) but maybe that's just me.

Yes, the things that attracted my attention are very one-sided and support my opinion, so thanks in advance to those of you about to post that.

mac66
12-05-2012, 17:32
It probably wasn't too many years ago when most people would say "hey, someone breaks into your house they deserve what they get. You pretty much can do anything you want to them and the police would look the other way."

Times and attitudes has changed. Criminals are victims now and everything is judge by PC and different standards. I am not defending this idiot, just saying that he would have been judged differently back in the day.

Back to the topic, if you are going to execute someone in your house by all means tell the police what you did so they can lock your crazy arse up.

countrygun
12-05-2012, 17:43
Something doesn't "click" here.

Given what has been said about the shooter, if true and well known,, why in the world would they pick HIS house to burglarize?

*ASH*
12-05-2012, 17:46
Something doesn't "click" here.

Given what has been said about the shooter, if true and well known,, why in the world would they pick HIS house to burglarize?

maybe he made it look like a burglary , :whistling::whistling: , lets say :whistling::whistling: teenagers were invited over or came over , then lets say he tried to get cozy with one or both , things went south and BAM

countrygun
12-05-2012, 17:50
maybe he made it look like a burglary , :whistling::whistling: , lets say :whistling::whistling: teenagers were invited over or came over , then lets say he tried to get cozy with one or both , things went south and BAM

All kinds of speculation is possibe, to include your scenario, or (lacking an MEs report, drug fed stupidity on their part. I am just sceptical about it being as "straightforward as it seems to appear at first blush.

kenpoprofessor
12-05-2012, 18:12

Is not property and money life? I work very hard for the money I earn, and I don't steal, so the money I spend on property is like taking a part of my life I've spent.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

PBR Sailor
12-05-2012, 19:09
It would be a good idea to consult with a GOOD lawyer before giving a statement to the police when in custody. If you are not in custody, choose your words carefully. It's not often what you say, but how you say it.

GRIMLET
12-05-2012, 19:22
Thank you Bren for laying it out. I passed over the other thread. Your posts and others here have brought a different light into this....... Incident.

I hope the investigators take their time and really work for the facts.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)