Dog ran away into Alaska wilderness - how long you think he has? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dog ran away into Alaska wilderness - how long you think he has?

IndianaMatt
11-26-2012, 12:55
Our 30 lb. Shiba Inu got spooked by some gunshots near a friend's cabin a few hours north of Anchorage and took off. We spent the whole weekend searching. He's a healthy young dog with a strong hunting instinct, a thick fur coat, and usually very happy in the cold.

I spent my weekend wandering around in the 0 degree weather, rifle over my shoulder - probably covered ten square miles. It gets to about -8 degrees at night now.

How long do you think we've got to find him in the wilderness? Anyone got any thoughts?

M&P15T
11-26-2012, 13:02
That sucks.

I have know idea how long your dog might last, there's just waaaaay too many variables.

Prayers. Perhaps your dog will just show-up on the door step. Leave some of your clothes outside. Dirty ones, not clean ones.

.264 magnum
11-26-2012, 13:04
Our 30 lb. Shiba Inu got spooked by some gunshots near a friend's cabin a few hours north of Anchorage and took off. We spent the whole weekend searching. He's a healthy young dog with a strong hunting instinct, a thick fur coat, and usually very happy in the cold.

I spent my weekend wandering around in the 0 degree weather, rifle over my shoulder - probably covered ten square miles. It gets to about -8 degrees at night now.

How long do you think we've got to find him in the wilderness? Anyone got any thoughts?

No advice but I wish you the best of luck finding your dog.

Hoser423
11-26-2012, 13:06
I'm very sorry to hear that. Good luck. No clue on actual scientific odds.

Shibas are better suited than most--- both physically and in disposition to get by a while. Certainly too soon to give up. Obviously be less optimistic after a few more days.

janice6
11-26-2012, 13:08
I sincerely wish you and your dog achieve a happy ending.

Nothing/no one should have to die alone.

Hope you are re-united soon.

.264 magnum
11-26-2012, 13:21
I just read that two Japanese huskies survived a full year in Antarctica.

Bren
11-26-2012, 13:21
I sincerely wish you and your dog achieve a happy ending.

Nothing/no one should have to die alone.

Hope you are re-united soon.

I'm not sure exactly what that means...but I agree.

Mrs. VR
11-26-2012, 13:24
:( I'm so sorry, I hope he finds his way home soon.

Goat 36
11-26-2012, 13:26
Wish I had some good advice.

I love my dogs more than I love most people and I feel your pain.

Your efforts describe you as a devoted owner and I sincerely hope you find him.

Best wishes and prayers for a happy reunion.

Hoping he had his collar on in the instance he might be found. Just a slight chance it would motivate someone to make efforts to seek his owner/home.

janice6
11-26-2012, 13:33
I'm not sure exactly what that means...but I agree.

I was ambiguous. I don't mean in the after-life.:shocked:

gwalchmai
11-26-2012, 14:01
Good luck finding your dog, Matt.

redbaron007
11-26-2012, 14:09
That's a bummer....sorry!

I couldn't tell ya how long....but I hope you get him back. I've lost a dog while deer hunting (legal to use dogs in Alabama at one time)...two years later, about 15 miles from where we had last contact...he was found/seen...was wild as all get out. Never saw him again. I know, Southern Alabama is much different than Alaska; but that survival instinct will kick in.

Good luck!

:wavey:

red

debbert
11-26-2012, 14:11
I hope that your dog finds it's way back home, safe and sound.

tarpleyg
11-26-2012, 14:20
You ever see 8 Below. That movie was loosely based on a true story. While not a sled-pulling Husky, your dog seems to be bred for this sort of weather and can probably make out better than you give him credit for. As someone else suggested, leave some of your worn clothing out around the cabin if you're still there. If he's close, he'll sniff it out and come home if he has a mind to.

Bren
11-26-2012, 14:42
I was ambiguous. I don't mean in the after-life.:shocked:

I was agreeing either way.

Foxterriermom
11-26-2012, 14:47
Oh, that makes me sad! You must be beside yourself! I would be frantic if I were in your position. My little dogs would be wolf/bear/coyote bait and wouldn't last past the first night. I hope he shows up safe and sound soon.

lethal tupperwa
11-26-2012, 14:51
like what was posted

hang well worn-not clean

undershirt out side

that might help.

My wife's grandfather, when he had a

hunting dog missing would leave his coat on the ground.

He said the next day the dog would be laying on the coat.

MtBaldy
11-26-2012, 14:55
I have no idea how long he can last but I hope you find him.

Detectorist
11-26-2012, 15:03
Dogs are a lot more resilient than what we give them credit for. I've seen Shepard type dogs happily live outside in 20F weather.

Don't lose hope. Your dog is doing fine.

concretefuzzynuts
11-26-2012, 15:03
If you (you're dog) are a resident of AK the dogs chances are much greater than if it was there for a visit. The thick fir will help but the paws take a lot of abuse. I lived there for 5 years and saw the "local" dogs fair fine. Snow for water, small game and scraps for food.

I wish your dog the very best.

pesticidal
11-26-2012, 15:10
Don;t give up hope. A few years ago my cousin was moving from Alaska to South Dakota, and the car she was in had a rollover in a rough Canadian wooded area . Her small dog ran from the crash. My cousin was airlifted out with a broken arm. A week later, she got a call, her dog had been found by a couple motorcycling several miles from the crash site.

If a dumb Chihuahua can elude bear and wolves for a week, a dog as smart as a Shiba certainly has a chance. I hope he comes back soon.

Ruble Noon
11-26-2012, 16:20

Did you try covering yourself in raw hamburger?

smokeross
11-26-2012, 16:43
Bummer. The cold weather shouldn't kill the dog. Coyotes, wolves, and other critters are the hazard the dog is facing, along with starvation. Hope he finds you.

Gallium
11-26-2012, 16:51
I hope your next post is of good news.

Huaco Kid
11-26-2012, 18:22
Bummer. The cold weather shouldn't kill the dog.

We've got a typical older fat maine coon house cat. He will sit in the yard twenty feet from our door in below zero weather while the snow piles up on top of him and refuse to come into the house. He often stays out all night.

So, yeah, your dog can probably handle the cold.

If there is even a shallow layer of snow on the ground, it will greatly deaden the sound of you calling. Try walking around blowing a survival whistle or even one of those compressed air horns.

Cavalry Doc
11-26-2012, 18:32

No kidding. Regardless of any disagreements we have had in the past, I am truly sorry to hear that.

Our dogs are full members of our family. We love them as such.

Best wishes.

sourdough44
11-26-2012, 18:37
I'd give the dog a day or 3. It may find it's way back, or you can go for a stroll looking for it. Good luck.

.264 magnum
11-26-2012, 18:46
Dogs are a lot more resilient than what we give them credit for. I've seen Shepard type dogs happily live outside in 20F weather.

Don't lose hope. Your dog is doing fine.

If you mean +20F my childhood GSD used to swim in the creek at his own devices when it was about that cold - I have a pic of creek water frozen to his whiskers. GSDs, double coat and all, can take serious cold.

.264 magnum
11-26-2012, 18:48
Bummer. The cold weather shouldn't kill the dog. Coyotes, wolves, and other critters are the hazard the dog is facing, along with starvation. Hope he finds you.

That's likely the hard truth.

AK_Stick
11-26-2012, 18:55
Dogs have been known to survive all summer/into the fall with no owner support.

However, given the current predator status in the willow/eureka areas, well I'm sorry but outlook isn't good.

Johnspark
11-26-2012, 19:05
Best wishes Matt. Hope he comes home.

stevelyn
11-26-2012, 19:40

Up until he crosses paths with a wolf pack running the area.

r3dot
11-26-2012, 20:03
Hope you find your pup.

NEOH212
11-26-2012, 21:00
Prayers sent. May you find your way back to each other soon.

:wavey:

goldenlight
11-26-2012, 23:43
I'm very sorry to hear that. Good luck. No clue on actual scientific odds.

Shibas are better suited than most--- both physically and in disposition to get by a while. Certainly too soon to give up. Obviously be less optimistic after a few more days.

Just don't give up. Put up posters in the area, contact shelters/animal control where he may have wound up. Talk to your neighbors, and the local police/sheriff. They usually know what's going on where they patrol.

The #1 reason why people aren't reunited with their lost pets, is because they give up too soon.

I hope you get your dog back.:crying:

LASTRESORT20
11-27-2012, 00:23
I hope your dog finds you first and comes home...couple of the suggestions above were good....

skeeter7
11-27-2012, 00:26
I have no idea how long your dog can survive out there but I hope long enough for you two to find each other again. I wish you the best of luck in your search!

AK_Stick
11-27-2012, 01:01
Just don't give up. Put up posters in the area, contact shelters/animal control where he may have wound up. Talk to your neighbors, and the local police/sheriff. They usually know what's going on where they patrol.

The #1 reason why people aren't reunited with their lost pets, is because they give up too soon.

I hope you get your dog back.:crying:

Sigh. No offense, but the dog was lost in rural Alaska. None of that really applies.

I know your simply trying to help, but that's really not applicable to this situation/area

Glock!9
11-27-2012, 01:49
Goodluck, my Rhodesian wouldn't last over night in the cold...He was bred for Africa.

4Rules
11-27-2012, 07:43
Read this book: The Call of the Wild

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0809501090/ref=sib_dp_pop_ex?ie=UTF8&p=S00K#reader-link)

The Call of the Wild: Jack London: 9781741814811: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JGMDSS8SL.@@AMEPARAM@@41JGMDSS8SL

tslex
11-27-2012, 09:29
Shiba's are sturdy, driven, robust dogs. He's not likely to be terribly successful as a hunter unless he's been successful before -- much of hunting in dogs and other critters is learned behavior. But even zero-degree temps shouldn't take him down in a matter of days.

More than searching too widely for him, you are better off spending time at the spot where you lost him, and, as others have said, leaving your scent and food there.

JDennis
11-27-2012, 10:29
Shiba's are sturdy, driven, robust dogs. He's not likely to be terribly successful as a hunter unless he's been successful before -- much of hunting in dogs and other critters is learned behavior. But even zero-degree temps shouldn't take him down in a matter of days.

More than searching too widely for him, you are better off spending time at the spot where you lost him, and, as others have said, leaving your scent and food there.

Agreed. But Shiba's also have a very strong prey drive and will hunt on their own if need be. Shiba's are double coated and chances are if he is used to cold weather, his coat should be thick enough to handle the cold. My only fear (other than being mistaken for a fox by a human with a rifle) would be wolves. Shiba's are very quick and agile but could be overtaken by wolves especially a pack I would think. They are pack hunters by nature so I would go back to where you lost him. They tend to not stray far their "pack". I learned that after chasing mine over a mile and a half when she got away camping. As I chased after her, she would disappear then come back to make sure I was still in her line of sight and area, then run off again. Finally I stayed still and she came to me after about 30 minutes and she got a squinty. After a couple times of that, I trained her one key phrase and reward she could never pass up and that is car ride. If she gets away now I simply get in the truck, go to the area she took off towards slam the door, re-open it and yell car ride as loud as I can. With in 5 minutes she will show back up and jump up in the truck. Never fails! They are a crazy super intelligent breed, and its one of their biggest faults as well, but has been the best dog I have ever had. I would definitely check the area he was lost. I hope you find your boy!

nmk
11-27-2012, 10:34

Sadly, this.

BuzznRose
11-27-2012, 10:39
Domestic dogs will either pack up or seek human company. I'd contact the local pounds and cops. If the dog could handle the cold, the biggest threat would likely be coyotes or wolves, but I'd guess your dog, if it was a pet, went looking for two legged company and probably found it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Chaos
11-27-2012, 11:11
I honestly think she'll be ok with the weather. Dogs like that are built for cold. I also think she'll instinctively hunt for food. Don't give up.

Chaos

gigab1te
11-27-2012, 11:24
Hope you find your dog. IMHO, the best way would probably be getting as many people as you can find to walk the area every day and calling her name. I assume you've been checking pounds and shelters. Many years ago I used to own Siberian huskies, and one of them once managed to travel well over 40 miles in less than a day, so you might want to check pounds in neighboring towns and areas.

FYI, here is a link to a recent article about a similar situation to yours with a happy ending, so don't give up.

http://prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=113112&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1086&S=1

JimIsland
11-27-2012, 12:39
Damn that sucks....Our pets are part of the family so I feel for you. Keep up the faith and do everything you can to increase his/her odds.

1) Can you hire a trapper?
2) Build a fire and burn some of your old clothes.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

IndianaMatt
11-27-2012, 12:42
Thanks so much for all the words here. I've read every post and its nice to see how many nice people there are here. I appreciate it.

Still looking for the dog.

deguelo
11-27-2012, 21:17
courage, matt..... do what you can, and hope (or pray, if you will).... fwiw, i have offered one up to st. francis assisi, the patron saint of animals and, if i recall correctly from my youth, the patron saint of things lost. i guess a little catholic synergy can't hurt........ regards-- deguelo

stolenphot0
11-27-2012, 21:20
Dogs can travel far in a short period of time. My dog ran off in a different city as a pup and was loose for 12 days and ended up traveling 11 miles. She made it around 3 different interstate passes. Got her back unscathed.

I hope yours turns up soon.

Chuck TX
11-27-2012, 21:49
Sorry, Matt. Hope your pup returns.

JimIsland
11-29-2012, 11:57
Just checkin in bud....no news?

Fear Night
11-29-2012, 12:43
I know Alabama is nothing like Alaska, but my in-laws Jack Russel Terrier chased after a deer from their house and was missing for 3 weeks. He was found over 30 miles away from their house and had dropped almost half of his body weight. Somehow, he survived the coyotes and other 4 legged critters even being a little dog.

I hope you find your dog, I know how much they can mean to us. My dog has gotten out of my fence about half a dozen times, and I always get the worst, sinking feeling when I realize he is lost. Luckily, he was always at a close neighbors house running down the fence with their dogs.