Vortex Strikefire anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Strikefire anyone?

Cole125
11-26-2012, 21:03
Anyone have a Vortex Strikefire who could comment on the quality and reliability of the sight?

I want a get a red dot for my CMMG dedicated .22 build, that is close to a Aimpoint Pro for training similarity.

If anyone has both a Aimpoint Pro/Comp and Strikefire, how similar are these two sights in terms of size and weight? Any washout issues in bright light?

Let me know

Gunnut 45/454
11-27-2012, 01:25
I shoot the Vortex and I think it's a very good product for the money. Have removed and reinstalled them many times neither has lost zero. Haven't had any washout . Then again I don't look at the sun with them either! Should be a fine site for a 22lr at less then a third of the cost of an Aimpro comp! Battery life has been very good- one has about a year on it the other 6 months both are as bright as day one!:supergrin:

WoodenPlank
11-27-2012, 01:37
I'd suggest also looking at Primary Arms. Marshall offers some respectable Aimpoint clones for very reasonable prices. While they may not have the legendary Aimpoint battery life or durability, they do represent a good deal for the money - especially on a .22 build.

GSSF17
11-27-2012, 08:49
Anyone have a Vortex Strikefire who could comment on the quality and reliability of the sight?

I want a get a red dot for my CMMG dedicated .22 build, that is close to a Aimpoint Pro for training similarity.

If anyone has both a Aimpoint Pro/Comp and Strikefire, how similar are these two sights in terms of size and weight? Any washout issues in bright light?

Let me know

I have both the Vortex Red/green Strikefire, and an Aimpoint pro. Vortex is a bit more bulky, but is a good budget optic.

Dot is more fine on the Aimpoint, but in bright light, the Vortex does not wash out for me, especially in green. Batt life is decent on the Vortex, but incredible on the Aimpoint. For a plinker, honestly, I would go with the Strikefire and save the $$$$. Also, as plank said, look at the primary arms red dots. I put this one on my sig 522 and I like it:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_and_AR_Mnt_p/md-07-utg.htm

doh, but they are out of stock......

bmoore
11-27-2012, 09:36
I had a Strikefire and it worked fine. It seemed well built and was reliable. For a 22 though I may look at one of those Primary Arms micro's, the Strikefire was a little bulky. Vortex also makes a SPARC that you may like.

mjkeat
11-27-2012, 09:44
I'll throw my 2 cents in and say Primary Arms Micro. I've been using one on my .22 AR and one of the AKs. Very happy.

Cole125
11-27-2012, 19:55
Thanks for all the input guys.

The Primary Arms Micro does look like a good option for a .22. I want my .22 AR set up as a understudy trainer for my go to rifle which has a Aimpoint Pro.

Might be a stupid question but would there be cross training issues going from a rifle with a "micro" red dot to a rifle with a full size red dot?

WoodenPlank
11-27-2012, 19:58
Thanks for all the input guys.

The Primary Arms Micro does look like a good option for a .22. I want my .22 AR set up as a understudy trainer for my go to rifle which has a Aimpoint Pro.

Might be a stupid question but would there be cross training issues going from a rifle with a "micro" red dot to a rifle with a full size red dot?

The micro ones can be a bit harder to find the dot in due to the smaller tube. Not sure how much of a PITA this can be going back and forth. If you want your .22 to be a near duplicate of your 5.56, then I would get one of the standard PA red dots that is built similar to an Aimpoint Comp M2/3/PRO.

Jeremy_K
11-27-2012, 20:27
Up until yesterday I praised the Strikefire up and down. I went to turn it on and it was dead. I put a new battery in it, still dead. It's in a box on it's way to Vortex. I've heard their customer service is excellent. Time to see for myself. I really like the Strikefire so I'm hoping it will hold up.

Cole125
11-27-2012, 21:02
The micro ones can be a bit harder to find the dot in due to the smaller tube. Not sure how much of a PITA this can be going back and forth. If you want your .22 to be a near duplicate of your 5.56, then I would get one of the standard PA red dots that is built similar to an Aimpoint Comp M2/3/PRO.

Good to know, I'll take a look at Primary Arms Aimpoint Comp series clones. Can anyone comment on the quality of these? As long as the dot is visible in bright sun light I'll be happy.

bmoore
11-27-2012, 21:27
Up until yesterday I praised the Strikefire up and down. I went to turn it on and it was dead. I put a new battery in it, still dead. It's in a box on it's way to Vortex. I've heard their customer service is excellent. Time to see for myself. I really like the Strikefire so I'm hoping it will hold up.

Make sure your Night vision button didn't accidentally get turned on.

WoodenPlank
11-27-2012, 21:46
Good to know, I'll take a look at Primary Arms Aimpoint Comp series clones. Can anyone comment on the quality of these? As long as the dot is visible in bright sun light I'll be happy.

My dad bought one to go on his M&P Sport. He has been happy with it, and I was impressed with the quality of it. I wouldn't use it for a serious use (ie: HD/SD, mil/LE duty, etc) type weapon, but it's definitely a solid piece for a range gun. I have a PA 3x magnifier coming for my Aimpoint M2, as I only intend to use the magnifier for range antics.

Cole125
11-28-2012, 00:04
The Primary Arms 30mm red dot looks like the ticket for my use, and for $70 might as well give it a shot as soon as its in stock again. Now I am tempted to order a magnifier to go with it too. Should be just fine for a range plinker/trainer.

I would not use anything other than Aimpoint on a serious use rifle, either.

WoodenPlank
11-28-2012, 00:10
The Primary Arms 30mm red dot looks like the ticket for my use, and for $70 might as well give it a shot as soon as its in stock again. Now I am tempted to order a magnifier to go with it too. Should be just fine for a range plinker/trainer.

I would not use anything other than Aimpoint on a serious use rifle, either.

Shoot the folks at Primary Arms an email, they are VERY speedy to reply in my experience. They can probably give you a estimate on when they will be back in stock.

If you're not running a magnifier on the 5.56 rifle, I'd skip it on the .22, too. Unless you just want a magnifier on a QD for range fun, though.

vafish
11-28-2012, 06:26
Make sure your Night vision button didn't accidentally get turned on.

This,

My son has done it a couple times on his.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Jeremy_K
11-28-2012, 07:24
This,

My son has done it a couple times on his.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)
Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. I checked the brightness settings too. I thought it was really strange since It worked at the range and then I checked it right after I cleaned it and it worked. It's just been sitting in the safe and now all of a sudden it doesn't work.

LL6
11-28-2012, 08:04
You sure that the NV button wasn't hit?

bigmoney890
11-28-2012, 08:09
You sure that the NV button wasn't hit?

He answered this question in ther post right before yours.

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked.

LL6
11-28-2012, 08:39
He answered this question in ther post right before yours.

That's weird, his was the last post showing when I quoted him.

Come back and there's a whole string in between. :dunno:

bigmoney890
11-28-2012, 09:21
That happens to me all the time when I forget to refresh the page :rofl:

Gunnut 45/454
11-28-2012, 10:59
Jeremy_K
So did you try a new battery? How long had your battery been in the unit? It's not an Aimpoint with life time battery. Lets us know what they say went wrong with it when you get it back.

TheExplorer
12-20-2012, 08:49
I assume everyone is using the high mount version?

Sensai
12-20-2012, 20:59
Check out the gen III Lucid HD 7 red dot. On par with aimpoint and eotech and half the money.

Sensai
12-20-2012, 21:04

Let me know Check out the gen III Lucid HD 7 red dot. excellent quality and good price.

FriscoCHL
12-20-2012, 21:17
Another vote for the PA micro. Just received mine today! I have not fired the weapon with it yet but it feels pretty solid.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s218/9mmGuy/E853517E-46F8-4E94-9821-B76E913E9837-11367-000009920DA1BD2F.jpg