I haven't said this in a while......... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I haven't said this in a while.........

M2 Carbine
11-26-2012, 23:06
........and I think it's about time to say it again.

In Jan 2003, Friday night my Wife was feeling fine. We were talking about the Super Bowl.
Saturday morning She was unconscious in intensive care where she died a few days later.

One of the things that really hurts and bothers me is I couldn't tell her how much she had meant to me and tell her good by.

Since then, every chance I get I tell people, Don't hardly let a day pass that you don't tell those close to you how much they mean to you. I don't mean just a quick , "I Love You" as you hang up the phone but sometimes really tell them how they light up your life.

This was very graphically shown a couple weeks ago.
There's about a half dozen felows that hang out at the small local gun store most every morning.
One of the men was a real life old time Montana cowboy, called Mel. Interesting fellow and a lot of fun to talk to.

A couple weeks ago, as always he shook the store manager's hand on the way out the door. He said, "I see you tomorrow".
The manager said, "If God's willing and we both are alive I'll see you in the morning".

The next morning Mel while heading to the gun store had a heart attack. He ran off the road and through a couple fences and into a metal church building, just mising a woman inside. Mel was probably dead before he left the road.

When the store manager called me to tell me about Mel, the first thing that went through my mind was,
I hope yesterday Mel and his Wife had expressed their love for each other and Mel's boy had told him how proud he was of his Dad.

Remember you aren't guaranteed tomorrow or the day after to tell someone how you feel.

I miss Mel.

NEOH212
11-26-2012, 23:10
My condolences sir all they away across the board. We all to often fail to express to those we love just how much they mean to us and all to often never get the chance.

This story really hits home with me and I know where your coming from.

Prayers are sent my friend.

:wavey:

Rabbi
11-26-2012, 23:14

In Jan 2003, Friday night my Wife was feeling fine. We were talking about the Super Bowl.
Saturday morning She was unconscious in intensive care where she died a few days later.

One of the things that really hurts and bothers me is I couldn't tell her how much she had meant to me and tell her good by.

Since then, every chance I get I tell people, Don't hardly let a day pass that you don't tell those close to you how much they mean to you. I don't mean just a quick , "I Love You" as you hang up the phone but sometimes really tell them how they light up your life.

There's about a half dozen felows that hang out at the small local gun store most every morning.
One of the men was a real life old time Montana cowboy, called Mel. Interesting fellow and a lot of fun to talk to.

A couple weeks ago, as always he shook the store manager's hand on the way out the door. He said, "I see you tomorrow".
The manager said, "If God's willing and we both are alive I'll see you in the morning".

The next morning Mel while heading to the gun store had a heart attack. He ran off the road and through a couple fences and into a metal church building, just mising a woman inside. Mel was probably dead before he left the road.

When the store manager called me to tell me about Mel, the first thing that went through my mind was,
I hope yesterday Mel and his Wife had expressed their love for each other and Mel's boy had told him how proud he was of his Dad.

Remember you aren't guaranteed tomorrow or the day after to tell someone how you feel.

I miss Mel.

Quoted for truth. Something you have an abundance of.

I am going to call my wife.

Angry Fist
11-26-2012, 23:15
Happened to my uncle earlier this year. Wife went in for routine tests, they decided to keep her, and was dead the next morning. Never pass up the chance to tell loved ones how you feel.

Hines57
11-26-2012, 23:16
Thanks for the reminder Buck. It's very easy to get caught up in the day to day junk and forget the important things in life.

Fulingyu
11-26-2012, 23:16
Thank you for the reminder about how no one is guaranteed tomorrow. So I will say ALOHA to all that read this.

Cali-Glock
11-26-2012, 23:26

I miss Mel.

Your posts in regards to your wife and relationships are always poignant and on point.

Thank you!

SMOKEin
11-26-2012, 23:31
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your wife, as well as Mel's passing. I agree 100% with your post.

countrygun
11-26-2012, 23:33
I felt what you were saying.

I am the last of my biological family and I lost my son which compounds it. My Dad was the last to go 20 months ago.

You should always think about how many years you can wish that you had just a few more minutes with them.

G19Tony
11-26-2012, 23:37
I sure know what you mean Buck. Sorry about your friend. :crying:

Folsom_Prison
11-26-2012, 23:43
Very true and sorry to hear that!

janice6
11-26-2012, 23:56
Your words are so true.

My mother died of a stroke, I never got to say good bye. She left when I was 12, and found her again when I was 21. Only to lose her for good a few weeks later.

My father died in his sleep and I was living in another town so I never got a good bye for him either. Life can be sad when loved ones leave unexpectedly.

My oldest sister died on the West coast unexpectedly.

My family thinks I'm kind of silly about thing like this. I will not say "Good-bye" when we are done talking on the phone, I always say "I'll see you later". I can't take the chance.

I don't want the finality of a Good-bye, but the anticipation of I'll see you later.

I am staring my mortality in the face now.

Andy W
11-27-2012, 00:21
So true. You never know when something will happen and you'll never get to see a loved one again.

M2, if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your wife?

G26S239
11-27-2012, 00:25
Wow. Your 10 year anniversary is coming soon. You make good points.

RayB
11-27-2012, 01:01
I learned as a child, that All Good Things... :frown:

Thanks, M2! :wavey:

--Ray

cowboywannabe
11-27-2012, 01:14
im sorry to know you suffered then and are still tormented now.

it is food for thought....nothing should be taken for granted.

Hamilton Burger
11-27-2012, 01:34
You're absolutely right, Buck. For some it's easier to tell a stranger they've brightened our day than it is to tell our loved ones what they mean to us. But I'm trying everyday to do better at this.

I just hope I'm left with enough time to tell all the asshats what I think of them before I shuffle off.

deadcalm4u
11-27-2012, 04:00
M2, Buck, - I've been a member here for a while but I mostly read, not really post. I have always admired your posts. Once again, your post touched me, thank you.

Bruce H
11-27-2012, 06:02
Every morning when we wake up and every night when we go to bed. Sometimes during the day.

stolenphot0
11-27-2012, 06:07
Sorry about to hear about your friend. You make a valid point that I have tried to live by the last few months.

Steve0853
11-27-2012, 06:58
M2....thanks for the reminder.....although I'm reminded everytime I see your avatar.

eaglefrq
11-27-2012, 07:43
My condolences on the loss of your wife and your friend Mel.

I try my best to let me wife know what she means to me every day. However, I need to do a better job of letting my parents, brother and sister know.

Thank you for the reminder.

Foxterriermom
11-27-2012, 08:07
Buck, you are a jewel.

HKLovingIT
11-27-2012, 08:10

I miss Mel.

You got that right.

I'll add one more thought to chew on...

It's also worthwhile to consider if you have any apologies you need to make to someone or any "you're forgiven" that you need to think about giving to someone.

Caver 60
11-27-2012, 08:28
M2, I completely agree with you.

A month or two before my wife and I got married well over 40 years ago, I was talking with a friend of hers. This friend had made several poor choices in marriage. She was on her third marriage and it was an 'open' marriage, (for her husband anyways) that also ended in divorce. She later died in a car crash.

But this woman gave me some advice I've never regretted. She said 'never let a day go by that you don't tell her you love her, and more importantly show it by your actions.'

Too many men are scared to express true affection IMO. I knew a man a few years ago who said, 'I told her that I loved her when I married her, and if that ever changed I'd let her know.' He's now divorced.

My wife and I are still in puppy love. Our love grows deeper every day, and we don't need a second honeymoon because we are still on our first one. Our children were raised to be the same way and they are happily married with children of their own.

Sneegrl
11-27-2012, 08:43

Chuck TX
11-27-2012, 08:54
Too true, M2.

Two of my best buds were a married couple. The kind of folks that could get along with anybody. The night before my better half and I were to relocate to a town not too terribly far from them (3-4 hours down to 30 minutes), they were annihilated by a drunk driver. I went from feeling like I'd won the lottery to feeling like I'd taken a sledgehammer to the chest in the middle of the night out of nowhere.

The last time I saw them was a few weeks prior when they were visiting a parent. I'd just gotten off the road after having been on it for a good while and was dog tired when they called and wanted me to come over. Thank goodness I did drag myself over for a visit. Can't imagine how much I would regret it if I hadn't done so.

tslex
11-27-2012, 08:56
M2, excellent post and great advice -- that we heed assiduously in my family.

Wife, little boy and even my 19-year-old, six-foot-four older son -- they all hear from me every day that I love them.

redbaron007
11-27-2012, 10:31
M2...words of wisdom.

Thanks for the reminder!

:wavey:

red

M2 Carbine
11-27-2012, 12:01
Foot Note.

I just got back from the hospital.
I woke up 4:30 AM with chest pains. Something I never felt before. Something I thought, Now this might be what a heart attack feels like.

I called my friend.
We spent hours in the hospital this morning while they did tests, blood work, etc.
All negative but the doctor said, Call this cardiologist ASAP.
I'll see him Friday.

M2, if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your wife?
Friday night my Wife told me, "Don't bother me Sunday I'm going to watch the Super Bowl".

I said, "OK. I'll tell you what, you totally take Sunday off. Anything has to be done I'll do it. Make me a list, wash clothes, cook supper, whatever, I got it covered".

Saturday morning she woke up with a terrible headache

Shortly after driving her to the hospital she was unconscious and died 7 days later.

A large blood vessel had broke in her head destroying much of her brain.

I think many of us have internal Time Bombs. You never know when they are going to go off and kill us.

For weeks/months after she died I was still getting bills for her recent physical. The physical was good.

byf43
11-27-2012, 12:16
Buck, Thank you for the reminder.

All too often, we take our loved ones for granted.

June, 1968.
My beloved wife was 12 years old, and was going to Ocean City, MD, with her oldest brother and her S-I-L.

She wanted $5.00 for food.
She asked her Mom for the $$$ and was told to ask her Dad for it.
She did. He said, "See your Mother, for the money."

This went back and forth several times.

Finally, this young lady had gotten frustrated, and said to her Dad, "You know, I wish you'd have another heart attack and die."

Those were the last words she said to her Dad.

After she and her brother/S-I-L left for the beach, her Dad went to his doctor, for a routine EKG.

On his way home, he had his 3rd heart attack.
He tried to get to his brother's house, and drove through the fence, and ran into the house. . . . and died.
"Mac" was 52 years old.

To this very day. . . . my wife has not forgiven herself, for what she said.
She didn't mean what she said. We all know this, but, she still blames herself, for her Dad passing away that day.

nursetim
11-27-2012, 12:59
I tell my wife everyday that I love and cherish her.

You sir are appreciated by many here BTW. I don't want to let this opportunity slip by. :thumbsup:

HeliGlock
11-27-2012, 13:43
Thankyou M2 for that post also. I lost my Brother at 34 years old back in 96 and never got to say Goodbye. Then lost my Dad in 2010 and never said Goodbye. So now I always tell My Wife that I Love her, even going to the corner store or down the street. Just never know these days. Start making it a Part of your Life Everyday.:wavey::thumbsup:

M2 Carbine
11-27-2012, 13:53
To this very day. . . . my wife has not forgiven herself, for what she said.
She didn't mean what she said. We all know this, but, she still blames herself, for her Dad passing away that day.
So sad.

Forgiving others is way easier than forgiving ourselves.

My Father killed himself when I was young. We weren't close.
For a while I thought, Maybe if I had been a better Son my Father wouldn't have killed himself.
After a while I realized the past is the past and there's nothing I can do to change it. So I let it go.

I hope one day your Wife let's it go.

mhambi
11-27-2012, 14:13
So sad.

Forgiving others is way easier than forgiving ourselves.

:sigh:

These threads always remind me of my mom, then this song. I wish I would have done more towards the end of her life.

Chocolate Genius My Mom - YouTube

Miss you mom, and I'm sorry.

I hope I'm doing better by my wife, at least.

JAS104
11-27-2012, 14:19
Thanks for posting, I really appreciate it. Sometimes you need a little insight.

I'm going to call my Mom, then my Fiance.

And my condolences about Mel. Sounds like a man I'd have liked.

J

Officer X
11-27-2012, 14:23
Thank you for the post

Sometimes when life gets busy and you're running around trying to get everything done, it helps to be reminded what's really important

glockrod
11-27-2012, 14:40
I say those 3 words as often as possible.

My wife, girls, parents, brothers, even friends on occasion.

If for some reason I dont make it to see my loved ones again, I wan the last thing they heard me say is those 3 words.

I will be honest, though, that after nearly 10 years of marriage and little girls waking us up in the middle of the nite, I have become lazy with my delivery to my wife. But, I still mean it as much as ever. I need to make sure to squeeze her extra tite and make it sparkle next time.

M2, sorry for your loss and thanks for bringing it up.

Buki192327
11-27-2012, 17:29
Thanks for the reminder Buck. It's very easy to get caught up in the day to day junk and forget the important things in life.

Oh so true.

It will soon be 8 years ago, that my wife passed. She was in a nursing home for rehab. We talked all day and had dinner together at the nursing home. When I left that evening, I told her I would see her the next day. When I went in the next day, she was in a coma. She never came out of the coma, and passed 8 days later.

Don't take tomorrow for granted!!! There are no guarantees in life!!!!!!!!

JAS104
11-27-2012, 17:36
This post is a killer :crying: .
I'm going back to the tablet burglar pictures

railfancwb
11-27-2012, 17:45
It was six years ago last month that I came home at lunch time and found my wife dead. I had come to drive her to the doctor for a routine visit, and had even picked up a meal favorite for her from Taco Bell.

Daughter and I went to place Christmas decorations on her grave today...

I'm still not over the loss, and I guess I won't be until I join her.

Never hesitate to express love and caring... As most have pointed out each opportunity could be your last.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Monster180
11-27-2012, 18:31
Man, this thread is quite the heart wrencher, and there are some pretty sad stories. I myself also try not to say good bye to loved ones; I keep it to good night and see you later. My girlfriend thought I was crazy when i got upset the first time I said good night and she replied good bye. After explaining, she completely understood and never says good bye to me.

true believer
11-27-2012, 18:38
thanks Buck....:wavey:

Woofie
11-27-2012, 19:11
Took me three grandparents to really appreciate the one who is still alive the way I should. All three went very suddenly and without warning

I do all I can for her just in case, but the way her health is holding up, my 84 year old grandmother will be going long after I take a dirt nap.

Jack23
11-27-2012, 21:15
What a great reminder. It bears repeating and often. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but it is a lesson I learned years ago when a dear friend died suddenly and left us all with out chins hanging out.

My wife of 40 years and I express our love frequently. First words every morning and last words every night. Which ever of us goes first the survivor knows he/she was well loved.

Thank you for the reminder.

samuse
11-27-2012, 21:50
I do all I can for her just in case, but the way her health is holding up, my 84 year old grandmother will be going long after I take a dirt nap.

Enjoy your grandma man.

Six years ago I thought the same way, it was wishful thinking, but time and reality don't wait on wishes.

2bgop
11-27-2012, 22:27
Thanks for the post. It is obvious, but too often overlooked.

norton
11-28-2012, 04:54
M2
My wife and I were just discussing the topic of guilt over the passing of a loved one last night. I think we all feel we could have done more, could have said more-

My condolences on the loss of your wife. I know its been almost 10 years -just try to remember the good times when you think of her.

Nestor
11-28-2012, 05:12
Hurry up to love people, they pass away so fast
Only shoes and silent telephone remains
Only what is trivial lags like a cow
The most important is so beautiful that occurs suddenly
Afterwards natural silence therefore unbearable
Like purity born straightforward from distress
When we think about someone, remaining without them

Don't be sure that you still have time, because certainty is vague
It takes away compassion like any joy
It comes simultaneously with pathos and humour
Like two passions still weaker than one
They go away fast like thrush falling silent in July
Like sound a bit awkward or emotionless bow
To see decently they close their eyes
Though greater risk is to be born than to die
We still love too little and always too late

Don't write about it often but once and forever
and you will be like a dolphin gentle and powerful

Hurry up to love people, they pass away so fast
And those who perish, not always return
And we never know talking about love,
Is the first the last, or is the last the first?

Jan Twardowski

Bruce M
11-28-2012, 05:45
Thank you for the touching post and a great reminder.

deguelo
11-28-2012, 05:57
true dat, as the kids say.......

thank you, m2. to recount such painful circumstances for our benefit must have been difficult for you.

every time i leave the house, even if it's for five minutes, and even in the middle of a rip roarin' disagreement, i kiss my wife. long ago, on one of those five minute occasions, she asked me why. i told her that i wouldn't want to die without having kissed her. she hasn't asked again, but since then she always kisses me when she ventures out, too.

thanks again.

rick458
11-28-2012, 13:27
Always let the last thing you tell a loved one be I Love You
because it may very well be the last thing you tell them.

PS I was at Central Texas BBQ today, after finishing up shooting with my wife at PSC
and saw a sign that read "Spoil your Spouse, Not your Children"
that stuck with me, then I came upon Buck's thread.

M2 you are right as always, thank you for the reminder.

janice6
11-28-2012, 13:50
(you were) ALWAYS ON MY MIND - WILLIE NELSON. - YouTube

I live this.

Glock!9
11-28-2012, 13:51
My wife and I are not doing very well at the moment. This is something for me to really think about.

I am sorry for your loss.

pizza_pablo
11-28-2012, 14:20
I totally agree! The wife and I express how much and why we love each other so often, I'm sure it sounds sappy, but each of us knows how the other feels. 27 roller coaster and awesome years!

clancy
11-28-2012, 16:06
Every close friend I have ever had is dead and gone. I wish I could go back in time and tell them, just once, how important they were to me, but I can't. But there is not a day that goes by that I don't tell my son I love him. He is 11, I am 56, so the odds are stacked that I will go first, but you never really know.

I made my mind up a long time ago that my last thoughts were not going to include "I wish I had told him I loved him more often."

Paul_J
11-28-2012, 16:15
M2, have I mentioned how much I enjoy reading your posts? Thanks, this one is a great one.

irishbum
11-28-2012, 17:25
got a call from my wife less than 2 hours ago that her mom died. Unexpected as can be , her dad came home to find that she had passed away.

Worst part is tomorrow is my wife's birthday and the day before was her dads birthday

You never know when it's coming makes you really think

Woofie
11-28-2012, 17:47
Enjoy your grandma man.

Six years ago I thought the same way, it was wishful thinking, but time and reality don't wait on wishes.

I do. I see her often, and luckily she's pretty technologically proficient. She Facebooks and texts me quite a bit.