GT plumbers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GT plumbers

G-Lock808
11-26-2012, 23:36
So, I'm sitting in my living room when I hear this zap/electrical sound come from the garage, immediately I hear a breaker pop. I make my way out to the garage to find water gushing from behind the top cover of my water heater heating element. Go back inside to make sure power is off and go back into the garage to turn off the water supply to heater.

What the heck happened? Water gushing from behind the cover of the top heating element. Haven't lulled the cover as I'm scared of electricity. Have calls out to a couple of plumbers that I know. Patiently waiting for a response.

9jeeps
11-27-2012, 00:33
Make sure the water heater power breaker is off.
Keep the water tap off that fills the tank.
Sounds like you blew an element.
This could mean a lot of things.
Like silt/calcium building up in the bottom of the tank.
It grounds out the lower element via corrosion.
It'll sizzle. then POP!
Rarely does the top element blow unless cold water is dumped on a hot element. Plumber will explain.

Wait for the plumber to call you back. Since you don't do wires.

G-Lock808
11-27-2012, 00:49
Make sure the water heater power breaker is off.
Keep the water tap off that fills the tank.
Sounds like you blew an element.
This could mean a lot of things.
Like silt/calcium building up in the bottom of the tank.
It grounds out the lower element via corrosion.
It'll sizzle. then POP!
Rarely does the top element blow unless cold water is dumped on a hot element. Plumber will explain.

Wait for the plumber to call you back. Since you don't do wires.

Thanks, got a plumber coming in the morning. How would cold water dump on the top element? The heater is 10 yrs old, the anode rod(or what was left of it, it was literally the size of a 4th of july sparkler) was replaced 11 months ago along with both heating elements and a full solar flush. The guy that replaced the anode rod said the whole deteriorated anode rod was basically sitting on the bottom of the tank.

Cinic
11-27-2012, 12:58
What's the verdict?

My guess is the tank sprung a leak somewhere other than the element but the water hit the terminals and popped the breaker. The cover was just where the water decided to emerge.

I'm surprised you did that much work (anode/elements) on a 9 year old tank.